Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am impressed

DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

I'm a launch vet of Chilastra on SWG, I quit about a  year after launch after getting completely fed up with bugs, and patches that were supposed to fix a couple of critical bugs (for me, it was player bounties not working) but failed to do so.  In actuality, it was only my guild that kept me around, we were a huge imperial guild with some really great people and activities...if it hadn't been for them, I wouldn't have lasted a month.

I came back to the game last year for a couple of weeks to see how I liked the NGE and wasn't all that impressed...over and last few weeks though, I've been on somewhat of a Star Wars kick and decided to go use my vet trial.

I have to say that I'm quite impressed with the amount of depth that the game still provides.  The class system is the only real difference that I notice between NGE and Pre-Cu, and it doesn't effect me all that much since I was a bounty hunter and had to spend 90% of my skill points into that mastery anyway.  Of course there are things like itemization that have changed, but overall, it's basically the same game with different abilities, more content, less bugs, and slightly less class customization...I have to say, the expertise system is kind of a joke for me...it's not nearly in depth enough for me to call it customization, but that's a minor complaint.

I'm actually having fun, there is a ton of stuff to do and I don't feel like I'm on a treadmill...and I just found a cool guild so I may just stick around a bit longer than the trial.

Oh and Chilastra is far from empty...with the recent server merge there are tons of people in Mos Eisley, I would venture to say more than there were than in my year of Pre-CU play...so don't believe the "the game is compeltely dead" crying of the disgruntled SWG vets.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by hatertots

Claims to be a launch day vet...check
    Claims he tried the game after the NGE and didn't like it...check
    Claims the game is better than candy now...check
    Slams the "disgruntled" vets...check
    We have a winner!

The OP was/is a member of my guild on Chilastra.  Welcome back :)  If you're interested in the game, you might wanna sub your account since your Bunker is now marked with (Abandoned) and could soon become home to some of my factories I'd like to get closer to my current ones :P

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

Welcome back, Draenor!

Great to hear that like many other new, returning and active players you are enjoying SWG more than ever!  SWG is certainly enjoying somewhat of a renaissance of late and the game is improving even further with every publish.

Originally posted by Draenor

I have to say, the expertise system is kind of a joke for me...it's not nearly in depth enough for me to call it customization, but that's a minor complaint.

Have you had a look at weapon, shirt and breastplate attachments and powerups yet?  You can layer these on top of your expertise choices to further diversify your character, if you like Rifles, add mods to do more Rifle damage, more Rifle Critical Hits and reduce your Rifle Action cost for example.

Once you get into running Heroic Encounters, you will also notice that your choice of Jewellery set bonuses are a very important part of your character too.

A third layer of complexity is the buff package you choose, you can tailor the various buffs you use to suit your preferred playstyle, want to be more defensive?  Ask an entertainer for more a more defensive build on your "Build-a-Buff" inspiration. 

More information about combat character customisation can be found here:

Guide: Combat Preparation

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any further questions!

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i just came back as well, and i can honestly say i am impressed as well....and in a good way. It's not as bad as i remembered at all. I transferred my toons to StarSider from Valcyn, and gotta say i am having fun as well.

and yes i was a closed beta vet :P

and if anyone calls me a shill they should get kicked in the nads.

Originally posted by miagisan

i just came back as well, and i can honestly say i am impressed as well....and in a good way. It's not as bad as i remembered at all. I transferred my toons to StarSider from Valcyn, and gotta say i am having fun as well.

Welcome back!

Originally posted by Scalebane

CHECK CHECK CHECK
    so what are we checking?

Unfortunately there are some users here that believe every positive comment made regarding SWG comes from SoE themselves perpetrating some viral marketing campaign, when the truth is that SWG is a thriving game offering great gameplay, and people just want to share their experiences of it.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Got similar experience when I returned for 8 months in 2007, had lots of fun, met lots of new people, did started new toons at my return which made a hugh difference for me, saw the game still having more depth then any of the other MMO out here. Before that time I just could not shake my old pre-cu feel of of me which when ever I tried the game. But ended it due to having very limited time to enjoy the aspects I so enjoed in SWG.

In 2007 I was sort of fed up with the release of Vanguard and LotrO, both fantasy which was the cause for me to be fed up with them as it wasn't because of the game but pure it's setting (not system setting), Vanguard did feel close to home, just MEH on the fantasy setting, I needed a sci-fi fix and since other sci-fi MMORPG's didn't or don't really appeal to me I thought of going back to SWG but that time in 2007 I started all over.

I must admit to be tempted to get back again but also became pretty spoiled with the looks of games, and must admit due to single and multiplayer games offering allot of things I now miss in MMORPG's and they also look/play allot better then MMORPG's its kinda hard to go back to graphics that look pretty much outdated, and this does not go for SWG alone, this goes for about ALL MMORPG's to me looked somewhat dated.

My perfect Star Wars MMORPG would be: combat/animation Tabula Rasa , harvesting/crafting/economy pure SWG style, environment a cross between Vanguards swaying trees and AoC more realistic looking world, loot system TwoWorlds <(single/multi player RPG), Quest system probably BIOWARE's , Character creation APB, graphics near or similar to CGI intro movies/trailers and call it

Star Wars Galaxies 2: The Revenge...............................hé a man may dream right? cause I definitely not feeling SW:TOR will be the rightful replacement for SWG to me, it might turn out to become a great game as sometimes it's fun to play a Themepark game. But when I look for a MMORPG I do not look for thempark rides as my choices are enormes to find that in other genre's then MMORPG where MMORPG use to stand out, now most are just about combat and hardly anything special apart from having a larger playerbase compared to multiplayer games.

• DailusDailus Member Posts: 80

I am glad that you are enjoying yourself Draenor. I too recently returned via a vet trial back in November and like it so much that I resubbed. Infact I am considering a second account. Its nice to see that some people can view SWG with an open mind. I came back for a couple vet trials, and while they kept me occupied I never felt it was worth my sub.

They "new" Dev team seems to really listen to the players. I know theyare small things, but the players asked for snow in Daoba Guerfel and the devs kept the snow there after Life Day ended. They ask for a "Born on" title after the server transfers and they got one immediately. Many changes cannot be done on the spot, but the devs seem to make the changes that can be pretty quickly.

Anyway welcome back. I hope you continue to enjoy your time playing SWG.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by pdxgeek

Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

CHECK CHECK CHECK
    so what are we checking?

Unfortunately there are some users here that believe every positive comment made regarding SWG comes from SoE themselves perpetrating some viral marketing campaign, when the truth is that SWG is a thriving game offering great gameplay, and people just want to share their experiences of it.

Certainly not every positivie comment but the ones that all follow the same script are pretty easy to point out. You'd think with the amount of money that SOE is pumping into their viral marketing project they would at least come up with multiple scripts.

I am a launch day vet, in fact i was in closed beta tester.

I stayed with the game almost 6 months after launch and didn't like it so much

The game is better than candy, but no where close to pie

People who still hold onto hate (aka disgruntled vets) need to re-evaluate how their lives are influenced by video games

I win!! ??

Did i fit all the necessary criteria on my application / post?

• clint3164clint3164 Member UncommonPosts: 58

Yeah well I just logged in too. I was vet since beta to 2007. I just tried the trial on eclipse um... two days ago at 7pm pst and found the following:

Mos Eisley Cantina - 4 people

Theed Starport - one guy afk

Bestine - two people

Seeing the trend?

I wanted to have fun but graphics are so outdated after being gone more than a year. I also tried Bria and found about twice as many people online. It just feels so dead.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

It's ok that things were too hard Pre-CU.  Some modifications made the game much easier to play for a lot of people.  Of course, SWG is still bugged and busted to the core, but hey, let's not mention that...

Tecmo Bowl.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

CHECK CHECK CHECK
    so what are we checking?

We (thats me and other important people) are checking all posts on liez! and other important stuff. If the poster scores a lot of checks it has been proven that he/she LIEZ!

The fact that you failed to see that obvious evil attempt of trying to lure innocent gamers into the abyss called Star Wars Gala..sry, cant bring myself to type the evil name, makes you sir very suspicious indeed. Dont be surprised if we start to check your post, mr!

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

incomming screenshot of my character with his title that proves that I've been around since launch...haha disgruntled vets make me laugh!

okay here you go people who said that I was just some dude who had no life so I came here to bash on the disgruntled vets, two screenshots that prove that I was there from launch (or two days after launch)

the first is my character sheet which shows my character's "birthday"

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/Joe6305/screenShot0001.jpg 

The second one is one of me in my house with all of my vet rewards, not the "five years of experience" tag on my character.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/Joe6305/screenShot0000.jpg

So there you have it, I'm not just some guy without a life who hates SWG vets.

ps. - owned much?

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

Originally posted by Thunderous

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

Originally posted by clint3164

Yeah well I just logged in too. I was vet since beta to 2007. I just tried the trial on eclipse um... two days ago at 7pm pst and found the following:
    Bestine - two people
    Seeing the trend?
    I wanted to have fun but graphics are so outdated after being gone more than a year. I also tried Bria and found about twice as many people online. It just feels so dead.

Haha you are definatly one of those hoping a RPG is going to be a mmo.    How about this logged onto Starsider last night 2am and did over 50 buffs in a hour.   Hate to burst the thiers no one playing this game bubble.   Things are going great with the condensing of the servers.   Your game wont even be done by 2010 so what you gonna do till then?  Cry?  

Keep on drinking Bio-ware and LA koolaid its not going to be the next coming no matter what they tell you or you dream its going to be like.   All your doing is setting yourself up for disapointment, before you know it youll be posting on the vets refuge STWOR.

Screenshots kid?  Didn't think so.  Viral marketing doesn't work well if you show us screenshots, does it...

hahahaha

see above, my viral marketting campaign started back in 2003, it's so obvious!!

and I just happen to have thousands of posts on this site because it was an elaborate ploy by SOE that started years ago when they knew that they were gonig to do the NGE and make people mad!!  You are so brilliant for figuring us out!!

Wow

ps.  here's part of my armor collection from Pre-Cu gear....that's some of the best composit armor ever made right there, note the red forearm, it was standard for all Sector-Ten members to do that...I used that armor throughout my commando as well as bounty hunter grind...I didn't quit the game beacuse it was "too hard for me" as some have suggested in this thread, I quit the game because it sucked...I was plenty successful at what I did.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k15/Joe6305/screenShot0002.jpg

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Bestine - two people
    Seeing the trend?

Bria was low as well?  Some how I doubt it...

incomming screenshot of my character with his title that proves that I've been around since launch...haha disgruntled vets make me laugh!

Just because you played the original game back then doesn't preclude you from being a viral marketer now. It's ok man...the economy sucks and you have to do what you can to make a living...

I just wish SOE would provide more variety in the scripts that they give out.

So, owned much? Um...nope.

You're right...I made this account on mmorpg.com years ago, have several thousand posts, and made another character in SWG back in 2003 with the intent to come to this website and post on its forums about how great the game is almost 6 years later.

Come on...seriously? 

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

Well, it's currently 1:30am Gmt+2 time. Let's see how Bloodfin is doing at Most eisley Starpport:

http://i40.tinypic.com/a463j4.jpg

And the cantina:

http://i44.tinypic.com/5p9iv.jpg

And for sports i made a char and headed into Bria aswell.

Starport:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2cmlye1.jpg

Cantina:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2zpr1mw.jpg

And oh, i also printed out the server statuses.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2pqtlk3.jpg

So as you can see, there are more than "five people". And the servers load is probably not the same as the earlier days. And yes, i am also a Vet back from the days, but i did not play since the game launched.

Fin?

*Edit* They didn't go link thingies. Just copy paste <.<

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• clint3164clint3164 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by Obraik

Bestine - two people
    Seeing the trend?

Bria was low as well?  Some how I doubt it...

Somehow it was. I was sure bria would not have been so I created a character on bria to test. There were more people than eclipse, just not that many. 

I didn't check out restuss but I imagine more people were there than mos eisley.

• pdxgeekpdxgeek Member Posts: 585
    Originally posted by Obraik

and you people wonder why you get banned...

I don't wonder why we get banned. It's because the advertising revenue is more important to mmorpg.com than an open and honest discussion of mmorpgs. It really is as simple as that.

Just because you played the original game back then doesn't preclude you from being a viral marketer now. It's ok man...the economy sucks and you have to do what you can to make a living...

I just wish SOE would provide more variety in the scripts that they give out.

So, owned much? Um...nope.

You're right...I made this account on mmorpg.com years ago, have several thousand posts, and made another character in SWG back in 2003 with the intent to come to this website and post on its forums about how great the game is almost 6 years later.

Come on...seriously? 

Like I said...times are tough and people have to make a buck where they can. I'm sure back in 2003 you weren't intending to enter the shady world of viral marketing but circumstances may have forced you into it. It's ok...I completely understand and there's no reason for you to be so hostile about being called out.

Wow...you are completely paranoid

I guess nothing is going to convince you that I'm not just some SOE viral marketer....so I'm not going to bother trying any further, if a bunch of screenshots as well as random people on this forum who know me from the game aren't enough to convince you, then nothing will be enough.  I do fear for you though, what kind of mindset you must have to believe that everybody needs to agree with you, and those that do not are being paid not to do so...it's a little bit frightening.

I could just as easily call you out as a viral marketter for SWGemu, maybe they're trying to get more interest in their game so they send people like you out? 

See how ridiculous that sounds?

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

And apparently my post was completely ignored -_-

It shows that the servers have atleast a tad more people online than some people think.

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493

Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

CHECK CHECK CHECK
    so what are we checking?

Certainly not every positivie comment but the ones that all follow the same script are pretty easy to point out. You'd think with the amount of money that SOE is pumping into their viral marketing project they would at least come up with multiple scripts.

I am a launch day vet, in fact i was in closed beta tester.

I stayed with the game almost 6 months after launch and didn't like it so much

The game is better than candy, but no where close to pie

People who still hold onto hate (aka disgruntled vets) need to re-evaluate how their lives are influenced by video games

I win!! ??

Did i fit all the necessary criteria on my application / post?

Never played the game myself.  That being said, you have won the thread.  Gratz

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

You know theres nothing wrong if you like SWG the way it is now. People still love Vanguard 2d mmos and think their the best ever. SWG was changed so much its just way to easy and not anything like it use to be. Sure your going to find a server here and there that has people playing. Its just NOT Starwars anymore. You find city after (dead) city, houses that have been there for years :(    It takes no skill do do anything anymore and sorry but if you REALLY played before then you know its not the same now.

The graphics have not got better over time lol just look alot more dated.

But hey some love the game this way and nothing wrong with that. Like WOW now. They just made the game super easy ...

• LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282

It's one thing to see these threads/posts from new forum members, but when they come from long-timers with high posts counts and good ratings, I value their opinion; I might not agree with it, but I won't just discard it as made up crap.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

And once again, the so-called "vets" continue on this idiotic "everyone who doesn't hate the game is a paid marketer" bull. It would be funny, if it wasn't so utterly pathetic.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Originally posted by kobie173

Saying the game has no depth at all is mindblowingly ignorant. Do you actually believe the horse manure that you post on a daily basis?

I wouldn't post it if I didn't believe. That's something that sets me apart from the shills, fanbois and viral marketers that are infesting this site recently.

LOL

Ever think that perhaps, as the cadre of pissed-off so-called "vets" dwindles to the last few people who give a shit, that maybe you're just a dying breed? That maybe people are finally getting a clue and not listening to you guys and .... gasp .... actually judging SWG for themselves? Holy shit, that can't be possible, can it?

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.