Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Racoon the new green meat

He rolls into the parking lot of Leon's Thriftway in an old, maroon Impala with a trunk full of frozen meat. Raccoon — the other dark meat.

In five minutes, Montrose, Mo., trapper Larry Brownsberger is sold out in the lot at 39th Street and Kensington Avenue. Word has gotten around about how clean his frozen raccoon carcasses are. How nicely they’re tucked up in their brown butcher paper. How they almost look like a trussed turkey … or something.

Raccoons go for $3 to $7 — each, not per pound — and will feed about five adults. Four, if they’re really hungry

Eating varmints is even in vogue these days, at least in Britain. The New York Times reported last week that Brits are eating squirrels with wild abandon.

Here in Kansas City, you won't see many, if any, squirrel ads in the papers. But that's where Brownsberger was advertising his raccoons last week.

Raccoon meat is some of the healthiest meat you can eat," says Jeff Beringer, a furbearer resource biologist with the Missouri Department of Conservation.

"During grad school, my roommate and I ate 32 coons one winter. It was all free, and it was really good. If you think about being green and eating organically, raccoon meat is the ultimate organic food," with no steroids, no antibiotics, no growth hormones.

www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/59566.html 

I ate Racoon once it wasn't bad.

Comments

• hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987

IM BOUT TO DO SOME COON HUNTIN'.

oh lord...

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Mmmmm fresh roadkill!!!!

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• VishiAnandVishiAnand Member Posts: 239

Why eat the poor thing? why!?? hehehe

• FerdscuteFerdscute Member Posts: 108

i wonder what racoon tastes like? hmm... everything weird tastes like chicken.. so i guess chicken...

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Ferdscute

i wonder what racoon tastes like? hmm... everything weird tastes like chicken.. so i guess chicken...

When i say it wasn't bad,it wasn't that good either, Kind of like tough pork. Barbequed. And i had it at a friends house, some poor folks who offered me a taste.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

A little motor oil, mixed in with some coolant, with a touch of burnt rubber.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• FerdscuteFerdscute Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by BushMonkey

When i say it wasn't bad,it wasn't that good either, Kind of like tough pork. Barbequed. And i had it at a friends house, some poor folks who offered me a taste.

ahh i c.. but i think i cant eat racoons.. its kinda weird though..

do you think you can eat cow's brain and eyes? in here we eat that, we mix it with congee (lugaw in our country) we also eat sweetbreads here.. it kinda taste funny at first but when you get used to it, it becomes delicios