Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Character Transfer Service - Now Open

mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

Free Character Transfer will begin at 12:01AM PST on January 13, 2009, and will only be offered to those accounts with characters created on or before December 11, 2008 at 11:59 PM PST on the identified galaxies listed below. Again, the only way to qualify for the Free Character Transfer is to be on one of the identified Free Character Transfer servers and move to one of the targeted galaxy servers and this is only available on a one-time/once per character basis. The Free Character Transfer service will end on March 31, 2009 at 11:59PM PST.

Check out these links for the most up-to-date information about transferring your character:

* Step-by-Step Guide to Transferring

* Frequently Asked Questions

* Notes on the Free CTS from the GM Team

Please note! To prevent issues with a transfer, please close the game immediately after completing the transfer process and do not log into ANY character on that account for at least TWO HOURS after transferring .

Making the Move

Effective January 13, 2009, and ending on March 31, 2009, the character(s) you have active on the identified current galaxies* listed below, that were created on or before December 11, 2008 at 11:59PM PST, may be moved to one of the destination servers at no charge*. This option will be available on a one-time/once per character basis.

The current "transferred from" servers include:

* Corbantis

* Europe-Infinity

* Intrepid

* Kauri

* Kettemoor

* Lowca

* Naritus

* Scylla

* Tarquinas

* Tempest

* Valcyn

* Wanderhome

The valid destination galaxy servers include:

* Ahazi

* Bloodfin

* Bria

* Chilastra

* Eclipse

* Europe-Chimaera

* Europe-FarStar

* Flurry

* Gorath

* Radiant

* Shadowfire

* Starsider

* Sunrunner

Source : starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/freects/

I must say that Bloodfin seems to be getting busier and busier, so far I've seen about 3 or 4 times the amount of people at Mos Eisly Spaceport, and incredible amounts of people killing mobs around. So far, it seems to be one of the best servers to transfer to, so if you have an old character on a deserted server, consider transfering him off, after all it is free.

Comments

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

It appears my old server, which was very healthy pre-NGE, is on the "transfer from" list. Sad, the NGE is finally killing it off.

Still, I think they have way to many "transfer to" servers, the population of SWG can't even fill that many to decent populations.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

What should happen to all of those servers that everyone transferred off of?

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

It appears my old server, which was very healthy pre-NGE, is on the "transfer from" list. Sad, the NGE is finally killing it off.
    Still, I think they have way to many "transfer to" servers, the population of SWG can't even fill that many to decent populations.

Agreed, but players know which ones are the most populated, so I'm sure it'll leave a few powerful server and a few that were the same as before. Hopefully they will repeat this process again, and create a few very healthy servers.

Originally posted by mrroboto40

Agreed, but players know which ones are the most populated, so I'm sure it'll leave a few powerful server and a few that were the same as before. Hopefully they will repeat this process again, and create a few very healthy servers.

The next time this is done you will not have a choice in what server you go to...it will be forced.

--------

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Valeran

What should happen to all of those servers that everyone transferred off of?

Hopefully they will shut them down, wipe em clean, and reopen them as pre-NGE servers, so that they can actually make some money off of SWG.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

This CT service is definetly a great step for some servers. Currently at 8PM est. Starsider has achieved the status of Very Heavy - something I haven't seen on SWG in more then 3 years.

But regretably it comes at the loss of the majority of servers.  I can't help but feel a little poorly for those communites that are likely dissolving.

Originally posted by Suvroc

This CT service is definetly a great step for some servers. Currently at 8PM est. Starsider has achieved the status of Very Heavy - something I haven't seen on SWG in more then 3 years.
    But regretably it comes at the loss of the majority of servers.  I can't help but feel a little poorly for those communites that are likely dissolving.

The last of the active community of Kauri are now gone...most to Bloodfin.

--------

• PentamorphPentamorph Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by Valeran What should happen to all of those servers that everyone transferred off of?

Hopefully they will shut them down, wipe em clean, and reopen them as pre-NGE servers, so that they can actually make some money off of SWG.

I can only hope that they consider this. My MMO problem would finally be solved.

Kinda sad how after playing the old SWG, NO game is really satisfying.

• pdxgeekpdxgeek Member Posts: 585

This is fantastic news! I can now transfer from one empty server to another empty server! Good times...

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

personally, i am a huge star wars freak, and will be taking advantage of this time after not playing for over a year. only reason i quit was because valcyn became dead....looking for a new start :)

seems that vet accounts are active again.

--------

• ClixgamerClixgamer Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by pdxgeek

This is fantastic news! I can now transfer from one empty server to another empty server! Good times...

Transfered my character this morning. Logged on. Saw tons of players.

None of mine are.

Did you get an email?

None of mine are.

Did you get an email?

yeah...3 emails but nothing specific about free vet access just about the free CTS.  Interesting...all 3 of my accounts are pending.

--------

Originally posted by pdxgeek

Honestly Starsider hit extremely heavy and that is impressive. But I can't help but think about how decimated the remaining 15 very light servers must be.

None of mine are.

Did you get an email?

yeah...3 emails but nothing specific about free vet access just about the free CTS.  Interesting...all 3 of my accounts are pending.

That's interesting cause I did get the emails but none of my accounts are pending.

I figured they would do a vet trial to coincide with the character transfer but nothing is active for me yet.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

I'm thinking they may need to start herding transfers amoungst the servers.  It's only day one and there are now reports that some servers (such as Starsider & Bria) are sitting on "Extremely Heavy" population loads...

Originally posted by Obraik

I'm thinking they may need to start herding transfers amoungst the servers.  It's only day one and there are now reports that some servers (such as Starsider & Bria) are sitting on "Extremely Heavy" population loads...

you know...this was predictable.

--------

• SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137

you know...this was predictable.

“The down time clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.”

Since SOE have consistently neglected to upgrade their very old and decrepit servers, you can be guaranteed that there will be plenty of time to hang around the official forums or "insert other favorite activity here" during the inevitable down time that is on its way to a client near you.

S

• hatertotshatertots Member Posts: 35

rofl...seriously whatever they are paying you it isn't enough.

• admriker4admriker4 Member Posts: 1,070

Last time I did a free trial Eclipse server was totally dead. There were no more than 10 people online at any given time. Why would SOE want players from empty servers to transfer to another empty server ?

• lightning-rdlightning-rd Member Posts: 123

RIP to 11 servers. 

Now they need to get rid of about 10 more and then they might have actual Pre-NGE population density on the remaining ones.

Originally posted by admriker4

Last time I did a free trial Eclipse server was totally dead. There were no more than 10 people online at any given time. Why would SOE want players from empty servers to transfer to another empty server ?

So they end up with a "slightly less empty" server?

They should drop to no more than 5 servers, 2 US east coast, 2 US west coast, and 1 EU.

You know that this only means more than 300 logged into it, right?

Pre-NGE a server would only get that ranking if 2,000 were logged in.

• KaylessKayless Member UncommonPosts: 357

Seriously, how long are they going to keep dragging this out... turn the damn servers off!