Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering a trial, but have some questions...

1. How easy would it be for two players? I play everything with my wife. Chatting and teamwork are totaly transparent with this setup.

2. My wife's english isn't great. When you get a quest how hard is it to figure out where to go? She had trouble with LoTRO and TCoS because quest destinations are buried in the text. She loves City of Heroes/Villains.

3. How is the market, crafting, and other non-combat activities? When my wife and I aren't on together we prefer non-combat activities so that we don't outlevel each other. Will we find enough to occupy ourselves?

Thanks!

Comments

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Aganazer

1. How easy would it be for two players? I play everything with my wife. Chatting and teamwork are totaly transparent with this setup.
    2. My wife's english isn't great. When you get a quest how hard is it to figure out where to go? She had trouble with LoTRO and TCoS because quest destinations are buried in the text. She loves City of Heroes/Villains.
    3. How is the market, crafting, and other non-combat activities? When my wife and I aren't on together we prefer non-combat activities so that we don't outlevel each other. Will we find enough to occupy ourselves?
    Thanks!

1. You can duo a lot of this game and the more you play and understand the builds the easier it is to do. Just starting some quests will be tough but there is a lot of content you can duo.

2. Sometimes this can be tough, but for the most part if you look on the map the quest location will be green while quests you do not have will be red.

3. I really think this will be a deal breaker for you. This game has no real crafting. You can build some items later on with some collectable but crafting like you would want to keep you busy with non combat time is just not there yet. The market at this point is kind of iffy, and at low level you will not be selling much on the market. Certainly not enough to keep you busy for any length of time.

DDO really is about the questing. Together you will have fun, but other than quests and dungeons it does not have time sinks that do not involve experience and leveling.

• DoctorwhofanDoctorwhofan Member Posts: 72

1. once you get the hang of things, Duoing is easy.  My hubby and I do it all the time!  Best to get good matches, like pally and a wizzy, or cleric and well just about anything.

2. Quest ARE EASY TO FIGURE OUT.  Very few are buried in text.  Also Voicechat is the norm in thegame.  If she can understand English pretty good, then she will be ok.  She doesn't have to talk herself if she doesn't want to.

THe quests are pretty straight forward. 

3.  Sorry, no crafting until level 14ish.  Even that is a pitiful excuse.  HOWEVER, if you are not familiar with the game, the true "crafting" is character building.  With the ablity to multi-class and almost endless ways to creat a toon, you have lots to do without any boredom.

SAYING THAT:  It can get a little repetive.  Still, try it out, who knows you might like it.  I'm on the Thelanis server, and my alts are listed.  Or you can send me a PM here wit hyour alts if you decide to play.  More than happy to help you and your wife.

Yes, I am a gamer girl.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online: April 2006
    THELANIS: Guild: Merc's Only. Trissa, Kleo, Sousake, Mulder, Roselyn, Caboose, Kaname, Scully, Courwin, Oncoming, Lanarissa, Doomlord, Tnannet, Healbotatron, keitherland, Keatheran, Allura, Riversong, Johnsmith, Jennysmith
    I also play Star Trek Online and LotRO, on occasion.

• we3sterwe3ster Member Posts: 355

Duoing will be fine, especially now hirelings are in the game, your group of 2 can easily become a group of 4! I solo most of the time and the hirelings have been great for me so far!!!!!!

You must not leave until you free Arlos and have gathered your party safely in this hallway.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

It sounds good so far. My wife loved TR and CoX. How does the combat compare to those games?

Those new hirelings sound great. Can they be relied on to heal and support? Are they better at some roles more than others?

What classes would you recommend for a duo assuming we would use some hirelings?

I've bumbed into Rok uh... elsewhere and if he's not trashing DDO then it must have some redeeming qualities. I'll be starting tonight.

It sounds good so far. My wife loved TR and CoX. How does the combat compare to those games?
    Those new hirelings sound great. Can they be relied on to heal and support? Are they better at some roles more than others?
    What classes would you recommend for a duo assuming we would use some hirelings?
    I've bumbed into Rok uh... elsewhere and if he's not trashing DDO then it must have some redeeming qualities. I'll be starting tonight.

DDOs combat is ay least as much fun as TRs was. I think DDO has the best combat and action in an MMO today.

Hirelings are getting better but as a new feature they have little glitches here and there.

I would suggest one of you roll a cleric with some strength for fighting and wisdom for your casting, healing when new and at low levels can be important because you do not have the excess cash to buy healing pots by the truckload.

The other can roll just about any class and be able to get quests done. Sorcerers are good(I cant play them) or rangers. Fighter,Barbarian or Paladin. Every class in DDO is useful so you should be able to find a combo that works.

I trash DDO at times, but in general it has much more game than our previous meeting place.

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

If you haven't dled the client and done the free 10 day trial I'd give that a whurl first. You'll get a feel for the way the game is played pretty quick that way.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• DoctorwhofanDoctorwhofan Member Posts: 72

DDO's Combat system is one of the BEST in MMOs today.  It is real time you click and you swing.  Whilethere is some button munch ala WoW, typcially if you hit your mouse button, you will swing once.  Hold it down and you will go through the series of swings.

You cannot get a rogue as a hireling and cleric hireling tend to be stupid (aka have problems healing the entire party and running into combat) a rogue and a balanced cleric would be good.  THen with two tanking  hirelings (I would reccomend Frenzy, he likes boxes!) you should be set.

Saying that--DDO is MUCH more social than many MMOs.  Try partying once in a while with other players inthe game.  The LFM screen does work very well.  DDO is designed to have at least 4 players in a party (up to six)  and Raids are 12 players.  By socializing with the server, when it comes time to do the raid, you can get help or join a friendly guild's raid.   THIS IS ONE OF DDO'S STRENGTHS.

Yes, I am a gamer girl.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online: April 2006
    THELANIS: Guild: Merc's Only. Trissa, Kleo, Sousake, Mulder, Roselyn, Caboose, Kaname, Scully, Courwin, Oncoming, Lanarissa, Doomlord, Tnannet, Healbotatron, keitherland, Keatheran, Allura, Riversong, Johnsmith, Jennysmith
    I also play Star Trek Online and LotRO, on occasion.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

4. It sounds good so far. My wife loved TR and CoX. How does the combat compare to those games?

5 .Those new hirelings sound great. Can they be relied on to heal and support? Are they better at some roles more than others?

6. What classes would you recommend for a duo assuming we would use some hirelings?

Thanks!

1. very easy. It's highly recomended, although not nescesary, to use a microphone while playing since the majority of the player base is extremely socialable.  (not saying there aren't jerks, it's an online environment and you're bound to find one somewhere)

2. It's not too difficult.  Most quests are near the quest givers although there are a few which are "hidden".  What languages does she speak and what time zone do you play in?

3. Non combat activities are limited.  There's a collectible type of crafting although it's centered around questing and the items are bound to the crafter for the most part.  Although there is a strong market for selling the componets and materials needed to make items.   

4. Combat does compare to Tabula Rasa and CoX in some regards, but I think DDO is vastly superior and more tactile while possesing superior dynamics when building and deveolping characters. 

5. yes, but every player should be self suffecient.  If you ever have to expect someone else to heal you you're not going to do very well as a team so you should always carry healing potions. I prefer Cleric and Paladin hirelings - just a preference.  ;)

6. I think playing a Cleric is a lot of fun.  Maybe a Paladin and a Cleric as a duo then you could both use fighter hirelings?  Either way, if you learn how to play you're characters it's more dependant upon you then a build you chose.  There are "templates" for character creation which you might want to explore. 

Download the hi-res version of the game client.  There's a sticky in these sections for it.  If you have Vista you will also be able to activate Direct X 10 which DDO is the only MMO that currently supports it.

Originally posted by mindspat

4. It sounds good so far. My wife loved TR and CoX. How does the combat compare to those games?

5 .Those new hirelings sound great. Can they be relied on to heal and support? Are they better at some roles more than others?

6. What classes would you recommend for a duo assuming we would use some hirelings?

Thanks!

1. very easy. It's highly recomended, although not nescesary, to use a microphone while playing since the majority of the player base is extremely socialable.  (not saying there aren't jerks, it's an online environment and you're bound to find one somewhere)

2. It's not too difficult.  Most quests are near the quest givers although there are a few which are "hidden".  What languages does she speak and what time zone do you play in?

3. Non combat activities are limited.  There's a collectible type of crafting although it's centered around questing and the items are bound to the crafter for the most part.  Although there is a strong market for selling the componets and materials needed to make items.   

4. Combat does compare to Tabula Rasa and CoX in some regards, but I think DDO is vastly superior and more tactile while possesing superior dynamics when building and deveolping characters. 

5. yes, but every player should be self suffecient.  If you ever have to expect someone else to heal you you're not going to do very well as a team so you should always carry healing potions. I prefer Cleric and Paladin hirelings - just a preference.  ;)

6. I think playing a Cleric is a lot of fun.  Maybe a Paladin and a Cleric as a duo then you could both use fighter hirelings?  Either way, if you learn how to play you're characters it's more dependant upon you then a build you chose.  There are "templates" for character creation which you might want to explore. 

Download the hi-res version of the game client.  There's a sticky in these sections for it.  If you have Vista you will also be able to activate Direct X 10 which DDO is the only MMO that currently supports it.

While I agree on being self sufficient, it is easier to do after you have played for a while. Buying pots as a complete beginner is not as affordable as it seems. I remember starting out years ago Clerics were more needed because people could barely afford to keep themselves in weapons and armor. Once you have played awhile and have sold some decent items it is a different story. I would suggest that being new to the game and looking to duo that one of you play a cleric. Since you will duo a lot playing a fighter cleric is very realistic, but having those heals that do not cost money can be very important early on.