Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord British making new mmo?

SeloSelo Member UncommonPosts: 108

quote from Lord British

"After 25 years at Origin, the last thing I wanted to make was yet another medieval fantasy game. Now, after a very interesting break, I'm keen to get back into the fray and work on a new game. Probably medieval fantasy and probably online; there's something very powerful about getting people together."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7804564.stm

Comments

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Very interesting but I would like some explanation from RG about TR and why he thought 'his' design for a game is going down the extinct route.  I am not overly critical because even though it has his name attached to it we never know how much involvement he actually had.  Either way he has a mountain to climb to regain his reputation and win back fans trust.   Another medieval MMO.....well its going to be hard for anything innovative these days so be interesting to see what he ends up working on.

• SeloSelo Member UncommonPosts: 108

would be really interessting if he actually did a followup to Ultima Online instead...

• SeloSelo Member UncommonPosts: 108

"Massively notes a couple of posts from people who worked at NCSoft while Tabula Rasa was in development. Adam Martin says the lengthy, wandering development cycle led management to push it through before it was ready.

"Very late, they eventually hit upon a good formula, a good core game," but, "Before they could actually make that game, a difficult decision was taken to push the team to the wall and force an early beta test."

Scott Jennings suggests that early warning signs, like the tepid reaction to the beta, were largely ignored. "One of the mantras that went around production discussions after Auto Assault's launch square into the pavement was that if you can't get people to play the beta for free, you have serious, serious issues.

Tabula Rasa had those issues. Not as bad as Auto Assault — there were people doggedly playing every night and presumably enjoying themselves, and metrics were duly assembled to measure every movement those testers took."

• scottscottscottscott Member Posts: 3

medieval fantasy mmo, good niche 'shrugs' oh well good luck

• VishiAnandVishiAnand Member Posts: 239

what is lord british? and what's is this new MMO about?

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Lord Brittish is Richard Garriot, he created the Ultima Franchise, and then let EA kill it.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Selo

would be really interessting if he actually did a followup to Ultima Online instead...

He has no right to UO now. And I very much doubt he could pay what EA would demand for the IP back ( especially since he and EA were not on the best of terms when he left, EA would purposely price it outrageously beyond his means specifically to keep it from him ).

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Zorvan

He has no right to UO now. And I very much doubt he could pay what EA would demand for the IP back ( especially since he and EA were not on the best of terms when he left, EA would purposely price it outrageously beyond his means specifically to keep it from him ).

Sell your baby on the black-market then change your mind and want it back later, of course the price is going to go up.. He abandoned the baby and deserves not to have it back!

He should start a new IP, single player with small multiplayer components, see if he can dredge up a following and from there develope a MMO off of the new IP.... Just my thoughts.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Emeraq

Originally posted by Zorvan

Sell your baby on the black-market then change your mind and want it back later, of course the price is going to go up.. He abandoned the baby and deserves not to have it back!

He should start a new IP, single player with small multiplayer components, see if he can dredge up a following and from there develope a MMO off of the new IP.... Just my thoughts.

I agree 100%.

He should go back to singleplayer games and then when he learns how the CURRENT gaming market works, instead of thinking gaming hasn't changed since 1999, AND shows that he can handle singleplayer games again ( the Ultima series was great....for its time ), then he should try regular limited multi-player.

After a few successful years of singleplayer and limited multi-player, and he has earned back a little of the reputation that he has currently blown to shit, THEN he can try an mmo again.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

Shame he couldn't convince EA to revive the cancelled UO2, I know it generated alot of hype at the time and I was an avid follower of it as I was looking for something else to play along with EQ1.

Other than TR getting cancelled (I actually enjoyed the game alot) I would still buy a RG game, unless ofc he suddenly does another disappearing act into space.

• His MMo creation card should of been revoked after TR.

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538

Lord British making a new mmo? We don't want any.

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

We've had a simliar thread to this one a while back where people trashed RG for TR. Do we need to repeat that here?

Anyway, I'm all in favor of RG making a new game. I'd really like to see a new "UO" from him. If Street Fighter 4 showed us anything (I don't know the exact numbers, but I hear it sold very well.. I got my copy!), it's that if you take a classic formula, modernize just a little, and punch up the visuals, you'd be surprised how many people will buy.

If he could take the original UO, pre-tram, fix the issues and bugs that plagued it, add in more modern design practices and graphics, I think he'd have a sure-fire hit.

Just my opinion, anyway.

• josh3kjosh3k Member UncommonPosts: 3

Seriously. But not because of TR itself (if that's what you're implying).

The game title was branded with his name so everyone would know it was his creation. Then he abandoned it--long before his official statement about stepping away.

I won't play anything else he is involved in.

UO may have been awesome in it's day, but I don't think he has anything else to offer at this point.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

Hey if they can remake Friday the 13th for the 30th time and have it sell I dont see why RG couldnt remake UO or another single player Ultima game.......