Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Without the Expansions?

xBrandoxBrando Member Posts: 91

Is this game still any good and worth playing without the expansions? I bought the original GW about 4 years ago and quit playing a year after.

I dont feel like paying for the 3 other expanions.... so what do you say?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

If all you have is Prophecies, then yes, the game is still pretty good.  Indeed, it might be better than when you first got it, now that you can flag henchmen, so that they don't constantly run off and pull extra mobs.

When I first picked up the game, I had Prophecies only, and it was just fine as a standalone game.  You probably won't be able to do hard mode without heroes, but the game is quite playable without that.

What I'd recommend that you do is to play through Prophecies, and if, once you've had enough of Prophecies, you'd like more content, then buy another campaign.

If your complaint is that the game is too easy, that's easily fixed by switching to hard mode, which you can only do after you've beaten a campaign.  Hard mode might well be too hard if you don't have heroes, though.

It is worth mentioning that the various campaigns are a lot cheaper to buy now than when they first came out. 

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

You'll most definitely be able to play. All PvE content shouldn't be a problem, but high-end PvP will understandbly be an issue due to the fact that you'll lack all the skills that come with the other campaigns/expansion.

Each campaign was designed in a manner that it can be played as a standalone product, and it acts in that way too.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I know you are asking about prophecies only - and yes it is viable

but I do recommend getting Eye of the North or Nightfall

so you are allowed to use Heroes  (customizable henchman)

wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hero

Heroes made PVE content in GuildWars *much* more enjoyable for soloing

and are accessible to you for all chapters