Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a thought...

I'm looking for a new MMO to play after getting bored with L2 and FFXI and I've noticed that almost every game has all kind of bad reviews. Is there some fatal flaw in the MMO concept. Because even the good games it seems like people are getting bored and the grind is too much. It seems like something is wrong. Before MMO's you could play a game for months easily before getting tired of it. But it seems like thats not the case with these games. I love MMO's and all but maybe they're lacking something to keep people interested. This is just a thought that crossed my mind... any thoughts?

Comments

  • HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

    One of the most important things to remember is:

    MMOs are not for everyone. In the same way a lot of people find CS just a waste of bandwith, some people find MMOs not to their liking. Now, they WANT it to be to their liking, because it gives them bragging opportunities thier lives can never give.. But.. The slow pace of MMOs do not merge well with their personalitites.

    So, start by ignoring 95% of the people complaining. The other 5%, take anything they say with a pinch of salt. Another famous character trait, is the idea that a lot of complaints equals a lot of knowledge. That, in complaining, they prove they know better. Again, reality is that they could not program themsevles out of a wet cardboard box, and if they get a hold of a 3D program, they put two Spheres on a Tube, and call it a sexy lady. So.. Ignore them as well.

    Then there is me. Just ignore me by default.

    Only game I wait for right now: Imperator.
    Go Mythic!

    "This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

  • jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

    It would appear that way. And the grind seems to kill alot of games.

    I would have probably been perfectly happy with Lineage 2 if it wasn't for the grind, and the same with DAoC.

    Grinding is usually only fun for the first game, maybe second. Then it really starts to sink in that you're doing the same thing every game, and there just isn't enough of a reward.

    Dark and Light will likely be my last try at an MMORPG(though I'll still play other types of MMOs, not RPGs).

    ----------------------------------


    "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

    ----------------------------------


    "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    -- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

  • NaosNaos Member Posts: 379

    Harafnir is right you have to see for yourself and igrnore 95% of the negative comments on the games.

    MMORPGs seem to bring out the worst in folk if its not their type of game and they have this need to try to put others off it for some reason. theres a game for everyone out there.

Sign In or Register to comment.