Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone insterested in a "Nostalgia-like" guild for DAOC?

romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74

There are a couple popular MMO blogs run by individual gamers who are a part of a guild called "Nostalgia" in EQ (and EQ2 as well I think). Essentially what they do is play the game from the start, using the areas and items only available to them that would have been there when the game was young and in its prime. They level up together and do specific dungeons in order of level progression.

In a way, they are a guild that self imposes a progression style server environment, completely free of  the influence of the bigger and greater things going on around them.  This gives them the opportunity to rediscover and replay some of the most memorable aspects of the game, the way it was meant to be played, without all the new super gear one is able to get from newer expansions.

I am not a part of Nostalgia in any way, but I admire their desire to replay such a game in this manner. Had I learned of them earlier when they first started and before they got too far ahead in levels, I surely would have tried to join.

I am wondering if there is any interest from old DAOC players who would like to do the same things with DAOC? We could start a guild, agree to meet and play once or twice a week, and level up together in the old lands and doing dungeons for all our equipment and money, you know, like games used to be. Of course the game has changed a bit, especially a lot of the starting areas so we would have to discuss the rules further and get some concrete ideas on how to do it. But if Mythic wont give us the origins server, lets make our origins style guild and enjoy the game the way it was meant to be enjoyed, before it is gone forever. 

Is anyone interested? If so please respond here and also please spread the word to VN boards to see if anyone is interested there as well. I have a loathing for VN, but I know it is still a hotbed of DAOC activitiy so it would be a great place to ask others as well. Let me know what you think.

Comments

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Eh, I don't know. It's not really the same thing to me. I prefer not having to pretend that something is one way, and disregard how it actually is, while others are all doing it that way.

I'm almost interested, but at the same time, I think I'd just rather wait for an un-clustered Origins server...

I sure hope waiting for it doesn't prove to be a waste of time in the end.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

This would not work for me for the following reason:

My "nostalgia" comes from the RVR.  All the time spent with realm mates and friends fighting against the other 2 realms, sometimes at the same time is what I remember most.  Withouth decent numbers on all 3 sides a single guild could not recreate the same feel as I remember.

It works fine for PvE games where you can get by with 40 people who group together and tackle static parts of a game.  However something as dynamic as realms constantly fighting for power and taking any of the keeps at random can not be done with limited numbers.

This is why most of us wish that Origins would come out.  It would put a decent number of people on all 3 sides who will be willing to fight and provide the non-PvE content that a good part of us old DAoC players played for.  It might work for some of the PVE stuff that's in the game but you have that on the Co-Op server and can do it any day which still has 200+ people on it.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74

I understand both of your concerns.

As much as I did have fun in RvR, I always also enjoyed the PvE aspect of DAOC. I always thought it was just as good, in fact better actually, than EQs. So even though RvR would be lacking in regards to this guild, the PvE aspect of hitting all those old dungeons, like Spindel or Trollheim, or that one big city out in Albion SI zone (the name slips my mind) would be pretty awsome for me.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

You can still do all that on the co-op server.  It's all about PvE and you can have people in multiple realms come together and do the dungeons.  You could be from Midgard and go to Albion and do their dungeons or Hibernia dungeons and all the people around you would be after the same stuff.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• fscotte55fscotte55 Member Posts: 44

Really can't do it.  If everyone played by the same rules then yeah OK, but levelling up in PvE was fun because you got new skills for RvR. 

Some of my fondest memories in any MMORPG was DAOC PvE, but that was like the first phase of fun, the second phase was when you finally got in the 40+ level and were actually able to do some RvR.

So for me, PvE was the training for RvR.  What's the point of a nostalgic guild doing PvE when their RvR skills would be pitiful against all the elite weapons and armour enemies in RvR?