Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP not equal

Comments

• Not everyone can be a hero. Why is there something wrong with that? Skill, timesink, luck, these are not new concepts to the mmorpg genre as a whole.

• BooksyBooksy Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by nethaniah

Not everyone can be a hero. Why is there something wrong with that? Skill, timesink, luck, these are not new concepts to the mmorpg genre as a whole.

It's not skill what he does, he grinds abyss with his guildd and dominate the server. He can take on 10 people at the same time without dying, look at the video link please.

It is a new thing to MMO PVP. In WoW you can maybe take on 2 people of the same level, maybe.

A hero is a god in Aion.

• NeyonNeyon Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by Booksy

Originally posted by nethaniah

Not everyone can be a hero. Why is there something wrong with that? Skill, timesink, luck, these are not new concepts to the mmorpg genre as a whole.

It's not skill what he does, he grinds abyss with his guildd and dominate the server. He can take on 10 people at the same time without dying, look at the video link please.

It is a new thing to MMO PVP. In WoW you can maybe take on 2 people of the same level, maybe.

A hero is a god in Aion.

Thats a good thing. It makes pvp much more interesting than a bunch of clones all running around doing the exact same thing.

------------------------------

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Sounds amazing to me.  The thought of killing a god gets me all tingly inside.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

A hero is a god in Aion.

Excuse the ignorant question, but didn't L2 have something like Aion for a hero status?

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

No life grinder wins the game.

so someone who actually puts more time and effort into the game than you can destroy you? sounds fair to me, sorry but if you want a game were time means nothing maybe FPS's are for you and not RPGs.

sounds like a cool concept if you ask me.

when did the whole concept of "PVP being equal" come about? sorry this isn't a FPS everyone doesn't start equal if you want that then go play a FPS. in MMORPGs people spend time getting gear, getting levels gaining abilities why should all that be thrown out because other players don't want to?

why should someone be penalized because they enjoy playing the game and play it a lot?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Cynthe

A hero is a god in Aion.

Excuse the ignorant question, but didn't L2 have something like Aion for a hero status?

Yes it does. And I'm actually for this. I know many who are not, but I like the idea of working for something and becoming very powerful because of it. It's an interesting concept and though I don't see myself ever becoming a hero I like the concept. Perhaps there will be a bit more balancing so that they are not "too" much of a god. Then again, this seems to be a very western notion that everyone has to be equal.

In Lineage 2, the clan leader has more power then the rest of the clan and has more abilities such as riding a Wyvern or claming a castle. I don't see why players who are willing to be at the forefront can't also be singled out for greater rewards.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

If you grind you can make Abyss points to RANK 5, buy hero ability, then buy more ability.
    ONLY 100 PLAYERS PER SERVER CAN GET FULL TRANSFORMATION HERO.
    Hero on killing rampage.
    www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbbs.php
    Game is ruined.

No it's not. It's similiar to the Hero system of L2. It is a slight pardigm shift in how you think of the game. Just compete in the same way and you can have a chance as well.

L2 also has the Demonic weapons that make one extremely powerful. And whole clans rush to take out players who have them.

Think of it this way, it gives you an intelligent raid boss. If the game makers make an incentive to take down these heroes then all the better.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Sovrath

A hero is a god in Aion.

Yes it does. And I'm actually for this. I know many who are not, but I like the idea of working for something and becoming very powerful because of it. It's an interesting concept and though I don't see myself ever becoming a hero I like the concept. Perhaps there will be a bit more balancing so that they are not "too" much of a god. Then again, this seems to be a very western notion that everyone has to be equal.

In Lineage 2, the clan leader has more power then the rest of the clan and has more abilities such as riding a Wyvern or claming a castle. I don't see why players who are willing to be at the forefront can't also be singled out for greater rewards.

Except let's hope it's implemented in Aion in such a way that it can't be exploited as it is in L2.

Getting Hero in L2 isn't "won" (with very few exceptions). It's arranged, and controlled, by only the most powerful clans/allies on the server.

It's decided who is going to be the Hero for  a given class, then that player is "fed" points by clan/ally mates and/or others, to make sure they have enough to win it.

If you're a "nobody", and you try for Hero when it was "someone else's turn", don't be surprised when their clan, ally and/or their friends declare war and gank you and your clan-mates... as punishment, for trying to "take it without their permission". This has happened many times before.

I don't even consider anyone who Hero to be anything special. It was "their turn", nothing more. It's not "may the best fighter win". It's "may the next person in line please step forward".

I've seen people openly laughed at when they got Hero, because it's well known that they're one of the worst of their class on the server. They couldn't PvP their way out of a wet paper bag with instructions and a starter hole when faced with even a decent match. Yet, they're awarded  a status intended to be held by the best of their class.

A friend of mine wants Hero, not because he thinks it's something special. He knows it's a joke. He just wants to be able to talk in Hero chat.

In concept, the Hero system is great. If it's handled differently in Aion, it'll be fine. If it's broken as  badly as it is in L2.. it'll be a joke all over again.

And I don't say that out of bitterness or jealousy. I've had no delusions of ever getting Hero. I just don't play at that level. But I do hate when a game system is so horribly exploited and abused, that it's basically pointless.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

If you grind you can make Abyss points to RANK 5, buy hero ability, then buy more ability.
    ONLY 100 PLAYERS PER SERVER CAN GET FULL TRANSFORMATION HERO.
    Hero on killing rampage.
    Game is ruined.

No it's not. It's similiar to the Hero system of L2. It is a slight pardigm shift in how you think of the game. Just compete in the same way and you can have a chance as well.

L2 also has the Demonic weapons that make one extremely powerful. And whole clans rush to take out players who have them.

Think of it this way, it gives you an intelligent raid boss. If the game makers make an incentive to take down these heroes then all the better.

damn i never knew that about L2 I would have played it if i had lol. i like how you described it as "an intelligent raid boss". I always wondered if giving a single player, raid boss type power would actually work ... apparently it does.

if the PVE in AION is half way decent i could see myself playing this game for a long time.

Originally posted by WSIMike

A hero is a god in Aion.

Except let's hope it's implemented in Aion in such a way that it can't be exploited as it is in L2.

Getting Hero in L2 isn't "won" (with very few exceptions). It's arranged, and controlled, by only the most powerful clans/allies on the server.

It's decided who is going to be the Hero for  a given class, then that player is "fed" points by clan/ally mates and/or others, to make sure they have enough to win it.

If you're a "nobody", and you try for Hero when it was "someone else's turn", don't be surprised when their clan, ally and/or their friends declare war and gank you and your clan-mates... as punishment, for trying to "take it without their permission". This has happened many times before.

I don't even consider anyone who Hero to be anything special. It was "their turn", nothing more. It's not "may the best fighter win". It's "may the next person in line please step forward".

I've seen people openly laughed at when they got Hero, because it's well known that they're one of the worst of their class on the server. They couldn't PvP their way out of a wet paper bag with instructions and a starter hole when faced with even a decent match. Yet, they're awarded  a status intended to be held by the best of their class.

A friend of mine wants Hero, not because he thinks it's something special. He knows it's a joke. He just wants to be able to talk in Hero chat.

In concept, the Hero system is great. If it's handled differently in Aion, it'll be fine. If it's broken as  badly as it is in L2.. it'll be a joke all over again.

And I don't say that out of bitterness or jealousy. I've had no delusions of ever getting Hero. I just don't play at that level. But I do hate when a game system is so horribly exploited and abused, that it's basically pointless.

I could agree with that.

My thought of the L2 hero is similar to yours but there is a caveat. One that I'm not thrilled about but I can see the logic in it.

L2 has always been about clan and alliances. The game is set up this way. Many people have trouble with the game because they don't quite understand this.

So "yes" it's tough to get good equipment or greater rewards if one thinks of themselves. But get a whole clan out there working toward getting mats and leveling their crafters/scavengers and it becomes a lot easier.

Now, bring this to the whole hero system and it becomes more of a lesson in one clan or alliance creating their hero.

Sure, it is a bit less about personal ability but it is more about the group picking their champion/hero.

Western players seem to have a problem with this because we are a bit more oriented to the individual and what the individual can accomplish. change the paradigm and it is about what the clan/alliance can accomplish. this is why feeding points makes sense.

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by Neyon

If you really want to be #1 this bad go build a castle out of cardboard boxes and name yourself king of the universe.

Allready done that

I like the concept of 1 person of each faction being a hero.  Is their a time limit to being a hero or you keep that status until a certain condition like dying?

Originally posted by Ravanos

when did the whole concept of "PVP being equal" come about? sorry this isn't a FPS everyone doesn't start equal if you want that then go play a FPS. in MMORPGs people spend time getting gear, getting levels gaining abilities why should all that be thrown out because other players don't want to?
    why should someone be penalized because they enjoy playing the game and play it a lot?

PVP needs to be equal or only a few will keep killing everyone else. Why would I play a game where I ONLY get  killed by players with more time on their hands than me. 

ALL PLAYERS should have a chance to have fun in PVP..............REPEAT............ALL PLAYERS....not only grind 24/7 NO LIFERS ok. WE all pay the same amount for the game not? Why would the players stay with Aion when a few no life get so much power when other games let them have fun too. 

This is grinder or get killed after level 40.

You can't battle in Abyss if you're not part of the high end guilds because you just get melee killed or AE destroyed by Heroes.

If you have no life, GRATS, you can play too and be special too. Sucks for everyone else.

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

PVP needs to be equal or only a few will keep killing everyone else. Why would I play a game where I ONLY get  killed by players with more time on their hands than me. 

ALL PLAYERS should have a chance to have fun in PVP..............REPEAT............ALL PLAYERS....not only grind 24/7 NO LIFERS ok. WE all pay the same amount for the game not? Why would the players stay with Aion when a few no life get so much power when other games let them have fun too. 

You can't battle in Abyss if you're not part of the high end guilds because you just get melee killed or AE destroyed by Heroes.

If you have no life, GRATS, you can play too and be special too. Sucks for everyone else.

This game isn't about 1v1, it never was, dunno why people are surprised now, read the posts I wrote months ago and you would notice the PvP I explained was what we are seeing today.

The balance is measured in mass vs mass, as long as there are nolifers in both sides, the balance will be perfect in the battles that matter.

We all claim for change, evolution, but as soon as devs get out of the WoW box, we get lost.

Originally posted by Ephimero

This game isn't about 1v1. The balance is measured in mass vs mass, as long as there are nolifers in both sides, the balance will be perfect in the battles that matter.

It's not mass PVP. Hero can kill non hero in under 2 seconds time. If a Hero enters abyss you fight him or you die, if you don't grind for hours you're low rank and you die.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

If you grind you can make Abyss points to RANK 5, buy hero ability, then buy more ability.

ONLY 100 PLAYERS PER SERVER CAN GET FULL TRANSFORMATION HERO.

Hero on killing rampage.

Game is ruined.

As long as the PvE is well written and fun, lots of grouping with people and teamwork, reliable graphic stability and interesting combat... I don't care if the PvP is broken. I'd do it when/if they fixed it.

Fix the HEART of any good MMO (PvE) and the rest you can live with. I think we've had enough of these "pvp centric" games this year. I for one hope Aion goes back to the basics of MMO making... PvE storylines and gameplay and work on the PvP in their spare time as a add-on.

There are enough PvP failures and limping experiments out now that should satisfy anyone for a lifetime.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by ProfRed

Sounds amazing to me.  The thought of killing a god gets me all tingly inside.

I know me too. Like some guy said these players become something of a intelligent raid boss. Thats awesome. No more scripted stuff. Your fighting him and his clan and that could lead to some epic battles.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

Originally posted by Ephimero

This game isn't about 1v1. The balance is measured in mass vs mass, as long as there are nolifers in both sides, the balance will be perfect in the battles that matter.

It's not mass PVP. Hero can kill non hero in under 2 seconds time. If a Hero enters abyss you fight him or you die, if you don't grind for hours you're low rank and you die.

Then don't go alone to the abyss, it's not meant to be a solo area. Or stay away from the abyss and get your PvP fix with rifts, no guardians or abyss skills there.

You can get good equipment without stepping into the abyss, the Crafter Maestro can craft pretty good stuff, and the instances drop competitive shit also, but if you want the best of the best, you'll have to fight, start looking for guild (pro tip :p).

• WrithWrith Member Posts: 85

You also realize that if a hero dies he loses a massive amount of abyss points. Everyone loses abyss points when they die and those points go to the killer.  The real question is how many of the top ranks, short of hero were present from the other side. Not to mention that with a hero on your side as long as you are there and part of that effort you gain from the defeat of the hero.

• BlodplsBlodpls Member Posts: 1,454

Archlord has something similar, but as far as I know it's 1 per server.

• joeshmoejoeshmoe Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Writh

You also realize that if a hero dies he loses a massive amount of abyss points. Everyone loses abyss points when they die and those points go to the killer.  The real question is how many of the top ranks, short of hero were present from the other side. Not to mention that with a hero on your side as long as you are there and part of that effort you gain from the defeat of the hero.

Indeed. I highly doubt that one person can constantly maintain hero status forever. Hell, when you enter the abyss, it notifies everyone that's in there of your presence. You might be able to take a whole party down by yourself, but if you get swamped by a couple of legions, I doubt you'll live through it. Not to mention that EACH SIDE has a hero, so it's not imbalanced. Sure, if you spend a lot of time pvping in the abyss, you might benefit more than someone who doesn't play as much. But if you spend a lot of time in there, you have an equal chance of racking up a lot of deaths as you do kills. If someone manages to spend a lot of time in the abyss and come off with huge kill amounts and maintain little deaths in doing so, then I think that person deserves hero status.

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735

100 people is way too many, it should only be 16 people per server who get guardian (1 per class per race)

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I'm not to thrilled about this system but I don't consider it game breaking in any way.

imo, anybody should be able to enjoy PVP, including people who aren't very good at it. Thing is, getting killed over and over again isn't fun, and a system like this only increases the gap between expert and "noob". I find it to be a very unnecessary system.

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735

Expert and noob should be completely separate in PvP, but that does't mean separated by gear or level, it should be skill.

This discussion has been closed.