Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AOC was the biggest disappointment of 2008

It was hyped as the best PVP mmo, with lots of adult content and a fresh and action packed engine

What we got was a buggy, laggy, underdeveloped mess

Here is what got fixed since the old head developer was fired in disgrace:

- less constant crashing

- less grey map, zoning crashes etc

- less lag

- less bugs (but still more than any other mmo)

but at its core

- the game still has nothing in it

- the pvp is childish, boring and full of griefers compared to real PVP games like Warhammer

- the pve is stil just terrible

- itemisation is still terrible

- character stats still do nothing

- there is no reason to play at all

- no crafting or market at the AH

- class balance is still terrible

- exploits and bugs still rule the day

- no one even plays this dead game any more

Good things:

- the graphics are good (although not varied and not very fantasy-like)

Comments

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

It was hyped as the best PVP mmo, with lots of adult content and a fresh and action packed engine
    - less constant crashing
    - less lag

but at its core
    - the pvp is childish, boring and full of griefers compared to real PVP games like Warhammer

Good things:

WAR is more childish : Oh yay I get tor grind 24/7 to get shiny gear and titles I'm sooo kewl.

Fail troll IMO.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• painbreakerpainbreaker Member Posts: 88

- less constant crashing
    - less lag

but at its core

Good things:

/signed

I played AoC and War. AoC was so much worse than War.

And one point is a fact (for me): Both games weren't fun for me.

When the war of the beasts brings about the world’s end,
    the goddess descends from the sky, wings of light and dark spread afar.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

- less constant crashing
    - less lag

but at its core

Good things:

"the pvp is childish, boring and full of griefers compared to real PVP games like Warhammer"

Are you serious?

Warhammer PVP is a freaking joke!  It goes down as some of the worst PvP I have seen in any MMO.  I remember playing a BW and just standing there pushing the same button over and over and finishing top in kills.  Any MMO I can play with one hand is a freaking joke.

If you think PvP in AoC is childish then you can't fight.  I have had solo battles lasting 5 minutes and if you know how to fight then its quite intricate.

And I also diagree on PvE being terrible.  AoC has its grind fest missions but its the first MMO with a background story and animation.  It has some great storylines that cover several maps and a lot of the missions have great stories.   Compared to most MMO's out there the PVE is up there.  Don't even come at me with WAR PVE because that felt like 1999 gameplay all over again. 

Everyone has an opinion but saying 'Real PvP games like Warhammer' is just wrong.  They market the game as PvP but its like watching a slow cartoon with everyone hitting each other with rubber sticks.  PVP for carebears who have never played a PvP game.  Try EVE Online and then tell me what PVP means.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

I think, Warhammer is way more childish (The real Warhammer not, only the Warhammer online game is a big failure), played both, AoC and War.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

No ammount of hype will ever make this game worth playing for the simple fact that it is still broken in several areas the biggest of which is trust of the gammer.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • DiTHDiTH Member UncommonPosts: 88

TBH i was thinking about 2008.And in my mind 2008 seems to be the year with the most Promising ideas for MMO that producers have come up with the last years( AoC's combat system,WAR's whole RvR tier).But both systems came to life in a really flawed way.I believe even if they released the games 6 months later it would be still the same result.

Lets hope that these "failed attempts" wont completely kill the ideas but it will make the companies to test new roads in these ideas. 

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

One of these disappointment of 2008 is gaming companies pulling down their pants infront of the"instant gratification crowd,I wan't it now kiddo,I reached max level in X days"

And the Biggest dissapointment is all those who whine "this game sucks" because at the end of the day " YOU are the fool who believed the Hype...shame on you 

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by DiTH

TBH i was thinking about 2008.And in my mind 2008 seems to be the year with the most Promising ideas for MMO that producers have come up with the last years( AoC's combat system,WAR's whole RvR tier).But both systems came to life in a really flawed way.I believe even if they released the games 6 months later it would be still the same result.
    Lets hope that these "failed attempts" wont completely kill the ideas but it will make the companies to test new roads in these ideas. 

Agree - The basic ideas of the systems failed terribly.  And here is why

AOC

Items were not worth getting.  That turns the character progression for payed online rpg game into waste of time if your work is not rewarded.  This becomes so obvious when it comes to raiding in the game cause the diffrent sets are just the same.... And creating encounters for it for diffrent sets.... Not possible.

The entire siege idea was so flawed and still is.

Not to mention some obvious part of the game that STILL hasn't been implemented or is still very very broken.  Like mounted combat for example.  Or the so called "spellweaving" calling for ppl to stand still....  Thats pretty much the definition of failure if you ask me....

WAR

PVE was always supposed to be play second fiddle.  Not to mention its not enough of it to get to 40 .... Then its better to skip it all together.  Sad thing tho is that the game could be SOO strong PVE wise with endless possibilites of diffrent looking mobs.  But no...

Public quests - Way to many meaning that ppl are spread over way to much.  

RVR - Stability issues that caused huge campaigns to bug.  Enough said... 

Another flaw of WAR is that NOTHING CHANGES througout the ENTIRE LVLING PROGRESS !!  Public quests are ALWAYS in 3 stages....  Siege combat is ALWAYS the same lagfest endroom....  Its just OMG booring booring same stuff...

But the BIGGEST flaw of WAR is ofc the faction issues and how Mythic has NOT created a system where number of ppl on each side will be corrected - or content in the game adjusted so that number of ppl will have more say in the dificulty lvl.  

And last but not least....  Dmg was the ONLY thing determining how renown point are given out...  just ... OMG

• EudaimonEudaimon Member UncommonPosts: 116

True, but the first time through Tortage, even back then, was really good fun for me.
    Fwiw, it was  the game director that was fired - he wasn't in such a technical role...more a managerial one as I understand it
    - less constant crashing
    - less lag
    It seems fairly bug free to me now, or at least as bug free as any other MMO I've played.  Sure, not all the bugs are gone,  but progress has been good there, I'd say

but at its core
    Nothing in it?  A very strong statement!  Personally, I find it quite fun at the moment.  The game has PvP, PvE, and other things in it, whatever you may think of them....and that's not "nothing".
    What part of the PvP is childish?  The combat mechanics seem pretty good,  barring a couple of imbalances.  The FFA structure of PvP does lead to the potential for many problems, such as the potential for griefing and ganking.  More reason and meaning to PvP would be a good thing.

And saying that War's PvP is good?  Well, it does seem to do the group thing well, but it looks too sluggish and simple.  FWIW, I haven't played War, but have watched a friend play it, and am basing it on what I've seen and what he says, so my experience here is rather limited.  I guess we'll find out if War can count as a "real" PvP game when Darkfall comes out (assuming it does).
    Balderdash!  I've had very little grinding to do, and the quests seem quite fun,  and to be based around some interesting mini-stories.  For me, the PvE is good, and some of the boss encounters are very well-designed.  Onyx Chambers and some of the raids need work, mind.  PvE content is a bit thin when levelling at higher levels, though.  That does need work, but hardly warrants the description of PvE as "terrible".
    Two aspects to this I guess - the look of clothes/armours and their stats.  Re stats, I prefer to have item stats play a lesser role than in some games (e.g. WoW), but do like to feel like they are making some difference.  There needs to be some rebalancing here, for sure, but hope that FC don't make items overly important.  As regards the looks, yes, there should be more variety.  The designs are good, but AoC does need more choices for looks, and this is something that I'm keen to see FC address.
    True, but as the inherent stat values are auto assigned based on archetype, I'm not sure I want the base values to have much effect.  The values contributed by equipment, on the other hand, ought to do something, and this is lacking.
    Maybe not for you, but some people do find reasons to play.  FC do really need to address the lack of endgame content, as the game seems to be most fun whilst levelling at the moment.
    The crafting system is really pretty poor, I'll agree, and I also dislike the way  that the new recipes are acquired by adventuring, thus making it very difficult (or even impossible) to focus on crafting instead of adventuring.  There also needs to be some way of distinguishing one suit of crafted armour at a given level from others....not sure what, but it makes buying an item from one crafter as good as buying it from any other.  Also, gaining levels in the crafts (except architect and, to a lesser extent, armoursmithing) is too easy, meaning that almost everyone can be a crafter.

As for market, well, that depends on the server one's on.  My server's market is pretty dead, but I had a look at Crom PvE the other day, and it doesn't look too bad there, with some of the newer crafted items being offered there.
    Terrible?  There are some imbalances, such as spellweaving necros and ToS's spike & passive additional damage and the low damage of some soldiers in PvP, but I would say it's getting more balanced over time.  Needs work?  Yes, but "terrible"? No
    Which ones?  Haven't seen too many of these myself of late.  Can you be more specific?
    Population did take a hard hit, and isn't good, I'll agree, but your statement is way overstating it, and is bordering on trolling.
    Good things:
    Graphics are AoC's strong suit, as is the music, I'd say.  I agree re the variety, but please, if you mean that you want more spikey shoulders and glowey bits, then no thanks.  I prefer the realistic style of AoC to the high fantasy style of WoW, personally.

• EudaimonEudaimon Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Avery is that you    " points above " game is the worst dissapointment  of any game this year

Heh  - no, I'm not Avery.

I note you don't address the points, but just launch a quick ad hominem.  Still, never mind.

Honestly, I can really understand why people who are keen on PvP might be disappointed, especially given the hype and the high expectations that were around around AoCs launch.  Peoples' expectations were too high, but FC did release an unfinished, buggy product, and then managed community relations very poorly IMO.  Heck, if my expectations were as high as those of some people and then believed I'd been deceived by FC, I'd have been upset too!

But all the same, I enjoy it, and it wasn't a disappointment to me.  Clearly it was a huge disappointment for you, as it was for many people.  But even though it's been disappointing for many, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad game as it is now.  And furthermore, even if it is true that AoC managed to disappoint more people than any other game this year, it doesn't mean that the OPs reasons for finding it so are fair appraisals of the situation.  I think there are some good additional reasons for being disappointed, amongst which we need to include the huge amount of pre-launch hype and poor (maybe even dishonest?) community management.

My expectations weren't that high though, and I frankly never bought into the hype in the way in which some people seem to have done.  I still enjoy AoC - in particular for its immersive world (yep, for me it is!), realistic style of art, and darkish take on the world.  Instancing is not an issue for me as I played GW for several years, so don't find that the way the playfields are linked to be an issue for me.

I still think that they need to have acted (and be acting) faster in several areas, namely items and stats (and the way they allowed gems to be OP for so long was awful IMO), and the long-announced server merges.  More L80 content would be nice too...or at least some way of encouraging players to create their own activities at L80;  I guess that this was what sieges were intended to be, but it hasn't really turned out that way.  This is also what War are trying to do, of course, getting the players to create their own content at high levels.  War are doing better than AoC at this given their higher population, but still not brilliantly from the things that I'm reading.

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

Avery is that you    " points above " game is the worst dissapointment  of any game this year

Elsa...I'm going to be frank with you.

<Mod edit>

What the guy said was true from what I've seen. Maybe you should go back and try it for a month. Whether you like it or not the game is pretty decent. It has its pros and cons like all games. You really need to stop trolling. Its not funny. Its not cute. Your information is ages old. You really have no idea what your talking about. I can understand you not liking what Funcom did, but the reality is that the game is a lot better than it was at launch.

You know...I don't even know why I try to reason with any of you. Scaredgirl, Hamr, you...you're all just so hung up on your little crusade. You guys really have issues. WAR was a HUGE disappointment for me. You have no idea. I was hoping to be apart of the next big thing. I heard all the amazing stories from the old DAoC players. I'd have to say THAT was the biggest disappointment of the year. I suppose if you are a WoW clone you deserve MMORPG of the Year. Regardless...I don't sit in the WAR forums and say "Mythic is the devil. They lied to me. This is a WoW clone. You shouldn't ever ever ever buy it or even consider it. No it wil NEVER EVER CHANGE!" I moved on. Maybe it's time you let go of the past and look to the future. There are much more important things than a computer game that you didn't like. Just let it go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Originally posted by xpiher

- less constant crashing
    - less lag

but at its core

Good things:

WAR is more childish : Oh yay I get tor grind 24/7 to get shiny gear and titles I'm sooo kewl.

Fail troll IMO.

AoC was by far a bigger disappointment than WAR. Funcom promised much much more than Mythic ever did.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

- less constant crashing
    - less lag

but at its core

Good things:

Fail troll IMO.

At the risk of sounding like Inigo Montoya, you keep using the word "grind".  Given the context you've used it in before, I don't believe you're using it in the same way most MMO players would understand it, or agree with it.  Of course, "grinding" has a negative connotation, which is obviously why you keep using it.  That's easy to recognize.

But, what are you actually trying to say, because the way you use the term "grind", it seems synonymous with "play the game", and you're just trying to associate a negative term with it regarding WAR.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by Rohn

- less constant crashing
    - less lag

but at its core

Good things:

Fail troll IMO.

At the risk of sounding like Inigo Montoya, you keep using the word "grind".  Given the context you've used it in before, I don't believe you're using it in the same way most MMO players would understand it, or agree with it.  Of course, "grinding" has a negative connotation, which is obviously why you keep using it.  That's easy to recognize.

But, what are you actually trying to say, because the way you use the term "grind", it seems synonymous with "play the game", and you're just trying to associate a negative term with it regarding WAR.

Beautifully put

• JustTalkingJustTalking Member CommonPosts: 206

Inconceivable!

AoC has it's fair share of problems, so did quite a few MMO's that came out over the years...i agree with some of the OP post but i also believe that it's being fixed as much as it possibly can right now...if people decided to ride it out is another matter.

I got the grindy quest feel on almost my first quest in WAR.

It may be because I just love the combat system...but I haven't gotten that feeling yet in AoC. The PvE is really interesting.

O and @ the OP...you are just as bad as any of the fanbois on these forums. I've seen the posts you make on the WAR forums. They are just as bad as the fanbois in this forum.

Originally posted by Capn23

It may be because I just love the combat system...but I haven't gotten that feeling yet in AoC. The PvE is really interesting.

O and @ the OP...you are just as bad as any of the fanbois on these forums. I've seen the posts you make on the WAR forums. They are just as bad as the fanbois in this forum.

I guess perception is everything, and it's just impossible to break "fun" down scientifically.

From my experience, most of the quests in both games felt like, well, quests.  Both games, pretty much just as in WoW or LOTRO, have most of the same types of quests (i.e. kill X of Y, deliver this to Z, bring me this book from this tower, etc), with just the obvious differences of being in different game worlds.

I guess if you are more predisposed to "liking" one system over the others, perhaps that makes the quests seem less "grindy", even if they are exactly the same types of quests found in other games.

With PQs and oRvR, and the open group system, I've found myself in more groups than I've been in overall than any game before, which I really like, and that colors my perception somewhat.

Perhaps it's the cutscene quest interface, with the illusion of "select your own destiny" textual choices (which is just generally "pick number one" to accept), and the voice acting in Tortage, that makes it feel different.  To me, other than the different quest acceptance interface, the actual quest design in AoC didn't suggest anything significantly different from what I found in any other game.

Personally, the game I thought had the best quests, and felt least "grindy", was LOTRO.

I guess perception is everything, and it's just impossible to break "fun" down scientifically.

From my experience, most of the quests in both games felt like, well, quests.  Both games, pretty much just as in WoW or LOTRO, have most of the same types of quests (i.e. kill X of Y, deliver this to Z, bring me this book from this tower, etc), with just the obvious differences of being in different game worlds.

I guess if you are more predisposed to "liking" one system over the others, perhaps that makes the quests seem less "grindy", even if they are exactly the same types of quests found in other games.

With PQs and oRvR, and the open group system, I've found myself in more groups than I've been in overall than any game before, which I really like, and that colors my perception somewhat.

Perhaps it's the cutscene quest interface, with the illusion of "select your own destiny" textual choices (which is just generally "pick number one" to accept), and the voice acting in Tortage, that makes it feel different.  To me, other than the different quest acceptance interface, the actual quest design in AoC didn't suggest anything significantly different from what I found in any other game.

Personally, the game I thought had the best quests, and felt least "grindy", was LOTRO.

In all honesty it may just have been the quest cutscenes. Now that I think about it the cutscenes just make me feel like what I'm doing is important rather than reading through the text and feeling like "here we go again". So I'll probably get the "here we go again" feeling later on, but with more destiny quests to work towards and the fun combat system I doubt the grind will feel as bad as it did when I played WoW and WAR.

I think WAR was just too much like WoW for my taste...and it did some things that made the world feel empty. No one really talked in the general channel and when I get bored I like to just chat with people or RP. I would check out WAR again if they would fix up some of the crashes I keep hearing about and make it more friendly for RPers and socializers.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Many sites agree with the OP.

blog.wired.com/games/2008/12/disappointing-g.html

It's actually the most disappointing MMO in the year there.

In all honesty it may just have been the quest cutscenes. Now that I think about it the cutscenes just make me feel like what I'm doing is important rather than reading through the text and feeling like "here we go again". So I'll probably get the "here we go again" feeling later on, but with more destiny quests to work towards and the fun combat system I doubt the grind will feel as bad as it did when I played WoW and WAR.

I think WAR was just too much like WoW for my taste...and it did some things that made the world feel empty. No one really talked in the general channel and when I get bored I like to just chat with people or RP. I would check out WAR again if they would fix up some of the crashes I keep hearing about and make it more friendly for RPers and socializers.

I understand what you're saying.  To me, the cutscenes were different, but didn't really seem to immerse me much more than other games, then got somewhat tedious after a while.  They also presented others with a great opportunity to gank me, which was less than fun.

There hasn't been as much chat in WAR as I'm used to in other games, and I'm trying to figure out if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  Most of the chat from WoW or AoC was of the superfluous "Barrens Chat", which ranged from funny, to annoying, to sometimes offensive.  Since the addition of the Regional chat in WAR, there still isn't a ton of chat (at least on my server), but there seems to be a lot more than before, and it seems to center mosly on what's happening in oRvR in all the pairings in the Tier.

I think the open group system also alleviates the need for some of the chat, as it shows you what some of the other groups are doing.  There's less need to spam a chat channel to look for a group for something, though that still happens often enough.  I would like to see a good LFG system for instances added to the game, however.

Just as in any game, being in a good guild that fits your playstyle seems to be one of the most important things in both games, and will drastically increase socialization, and provide RP activities.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

<Mod edit>

What the guy said was true from what I've seen. Maybe you should go back and try it for a month. Whether you like it or not the game is pretty decent. It has its pros and cons like all games. You really need to stop trolling. Its not funny. Its not cute. Your information is ages old. You really have no idea what your talking about. I can understand you not liking what Funcom did, but the reality is that the game is a lot better than it was at launch.

You know...I don't even know why I try to reason with any of you. Scaredgirl, Hamr, you...you're all just so hung up on your little crusade. You guys really have issues. WAR was a HUGE disappointment for me. You have no idea. I was hoping to be apart of the next big thing. I heard all the amazing stories from the old DAoC players. I'd have to say THAT was the biggest disappointment of the year. I suppose if you are a WoW clone you deserve MMORPG of the Year. Regardless...I don't sit in the WAR forums and say "Mythic is the devil. They lied to me. This is a WoW clone. You shouldn't ever ever ever buy it or even consider it. No it wil NEVER EVER CHANGE!" I moved on. Maybe it's time you let go of the past and look to the future. There are much more important things than a computer game that you didn't like. Just let it go.

Your fanboi is showing, the guy is stating his opinion just like you I don't see how having a different opinion makes him an idiot. If you are going to challenge someones intelligence atleast make factual statements instead of opinions

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

Originally posted by jaxsundane

<Mod edit>

Your fanboi is showing, the guy is stating his opinion just like you I don't see how having a different opinion makes him an idiot. If you are going to challenge someones intelligence atleast make factual statements instead of opinions

I challenge you to go through Elsa's posting history. It's the same crap over and over again. It's just trolling. Nothing Elsa says is based on recent information. I can understand Elsa not liking Funcom, but dear god...spending half a YEAR bashing a game that has significantly improved is what I would call trolling. Now I don't mind a good and reasonable debate, but there is no way you can try and start one with Elsa. It always ends in "TERRIBLE GAME. NEVER GONNA CHANGE. FUNCOM DESTROYED MY LIFE"

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by jaxsundane

<Mod edit>

I challenge you to go through Elsa's posting history. It's the same crap over and over again. It's just trolling. Nothing Elsa says is based on recent information. I can understand Elsa not liking Funcom, but dear god...spending half a YEAR bashing a game that has significantly improved is what I would call trolling. Now I don't mind a good and reasonable debate, but there is no way you can try and start one with Elsa. It always ends in "TERRIBLE GAME. NEVER GONNA CHANGE. FUNCOM DESTROYED MY LIFE"

so what makes him any different than the fanbois posters who insisted the AoC was the perfect MMO when it was in beta, was perfect and had no bugs or flaws at at launch and is now even more perfect when all indications are to the contrary? Different sides of the same coin. Anyway I can think of one poster who has been posting for over two years now on how screwed up LOTRO is and how Turbine is the devil.

I miss DAoC

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

I guess it all depends on what your looking for in a game... 

Both WAR and AOC concentrated on PvP and simple PvE questing and they both pretty much ignored every other aspect of MMO's such as deep crafting systems, player economies, player ran cities, tools for players to create their own in game events, areas for people to socialize, etc...   

This is why both AOC and WAR are struggling, for some reason both companies thought there was a huge PvP crowd so they based both their games around that type of player...

Both games will probably be around for a long time, but I don't ever expect them to have huge player base.  

Even tho SWG had a lot of problems, it did do one thing really right, it allowed players to create niches for themselves in the game world, the ability to be semi-unique... Something AOC and WAR fail at miserably    

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Actually, AOC wasn't the biggest disappointment for me, I actually played it for 3 months before quitting.  Meanwhile WAR lasted only two months, and I never got past level 15 on any character.... (vs lvl 55 for AOC)

I supposed its because I didn't have any real expectations about AOC, where as I was looking for a DAOC replacement in WAR, and it really missed the mark in that regard.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon