Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any MMORPGs with worthwhile RP right now?

I'm currently searching for a MMORPG on which to roleplay. I recently quit WoW due to what I see as destruction of lore by Blizzard (something that has been going on since they made the WarCraft series a MMO).

I've already played Eve, CoH/CoV, LOTRO, and SWG. I'm not interested in any of them. If anyone knows a good game for RP, which does not have anime-styled graphics, please tell me.

Comments

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by ajs08
    I'm currently searching for a MMORPG on which to roleplay. I recently quit WoW due to what I see as destruction of lore by Blizzard (something that has been going on since they made the WarCraft series a MMO).
    I've already played Eve, CoH/CoV, LOTRO, and SWG. I'm not interested in any of them. If anyone knows a good game for RP, which does not have anime-styled graphics, please tell me.

I also quit WoW a while ago because of the destruction of the lore. Blizzard isno longer staffed by the people who made the original lore, and they do not care about it. They care about making money, and they are good at it. Most people don't notice or care about the lore, and by the same token, they don't care about roleplaying. It used to be a company staffed by people who cared about games, now this is not the case.

But I digress. I do not know of any game that has decent roleplaying in any real sense. The only game that I like the gameplay and ruleset of is GW, and that has no roleplaying at all, and just feels too much like an arcade game (which is lots of fun, just doesn't feel like a world).

I don't know what to say. Sorry.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• RichardShruRichardShru Member Posts: 5

Hello. I am a new forums member here, but I think I know a game you both might be intrested in. Its a game focused entirely on roleplaying and has just recently been brought online in an open beta. The game, Underlight: Shades of Truth, has gone through several versions before this most recent release. It started out a pay to play game, and after the community took over management of the game, it became a free open-source game. Now, its graphics aren't top of the line like WoW or SWG, but its not like runescape.

In addition, it has a completely unique combat system that mirrors Oblivion in that it integrates both leveling up certain "attributes" while doing the actual fighting in a real time twitch based combat model, allowing even new players to effectively fight against vetrans if they practice.

The leveling system is also completely unique to any game in the RPG Genere. In this new leveling system, the players seek out "Teacher's" (whom are both Game Moderators and actual players) and who give out certain tasks to complete in order to gain "Power" (experiance), "Orbits" (levels), "Spheres" (basically the allowance to progress from a certain set of orbits to another. If you reach say, orbit 10, you need to complete a sphere task in order to move on from orbit 10. These generally tend to be very involved and difficult, but also very fun), "Arts" (which are basically special abilites. I'll go more in depth on them later), and many other things.

Arts are unique as well in comparision to most other games, more because of the abilites themselves. Most games involve spells such as "Flameball" or "Lightening" or "Heal", but in Underlight, there are also a number of very unique abilites, some of which you start with, which make the game easier and more fun. Some examples of starting abilites (I don't want to take all the suprise out of the game) include:

1) Locate Dreamer - This is a buddy list and a tracker rolled into one. By searching for the name of a person on here, you're able to tell if they're online and where they are. As you train this ability further, your able to search for individual players and find out "very speciffically" where they are.

2) GateSmasher/SoulReaper/etc. - This ability allows you to summon the primary weapon of your class (see this link for the classes: http://underlight.ixios.net/focus.asp)

3) Sense Dreamers - This ability allows you to see the three most populated areas of the Dream (as the world is reffered to).

And many more.

And now, for roleplaying itself in the game. Roleplaying in the game is enforced in-character, therefore you are expected to always be "In character" or acting as your character would. This and the fact that the game has only been brought online very recently has lead to a rather small gamer population, but it is a very close knit community whom is very open to newcomer's regardless of their rp experiance. The Game Masters, or GM's, are very involved in the game by providing both random events and furthering the main storyline of the game. The game isn't just for hardcore rper's though. The game is equelly suited to both casual and hardcore roleplayers.

Even with everything I've said here though, I've only barely begun to scratch the surface of the game. So please, come check it out, you might like it ;).

Here is the forums for the game (feel free to post here if you have any questions or comments or just feel like talking to any of the players): http://underlight.ixios.net/forums/default.asp

Here is some other general links you may find intresting or necessary to play:

Game Guides: http://underlight.ixios.net/guides.asp

Character Creation Page (requires a forums account): http://underlight.ixios.net/account/login.aspx

Full Client Download Page: http://files.filefront.com/Underlight+Client+16412exe/;9857856;/fileinfo.html