Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game of the Year 2008 Award, Voodoo Extreme.

Comments

• TransporterTransporter Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by Halflifer

Originally posted by SinReaper

MMORPGers I am looking into Age of Conan. What are your thoughts on Conan? Is it a good game or not so much? It gets over 2000 votes in Voodoo Extremes yearly Game of the Year Award :/
    ve3d.ign.com/poll/results/237/2008-Game-of-the-Year
    Might make it into my 2009 game experience.

The most straightforward answer is "Try it yourself and see"; unless you count the opinions of strangers as critical to the decision making process.

I'd suggest allowing people to help you by establishing what constitutes "good" to you when it comes to MMO's. A top 5 of things you like/need in your MMO to start should give people something to work with.

Whaooo!

Well, the poll suggests that Conan is one of the better MMOs launched in 2008. For you hardcore mmoers, would you say AoC is worth a go and if so, why? Here is what I want:

1. Gory action combat.

2. Spectacular character animation as in Console games

3. Character development. New features with levels and stuff. FPS games doesn't typically have this

4. PvP.

What should I be looking for in particular? How's the community? age? The best servers in US?

Well I am sad to see how the MMORPG moderators allowed trolls to take this thread miles off topic.

OP, to answer your questions. Yes AoC is definitely worth a go. The game has more potential in my opinion than any other MMO in retail right now. It sort of represents latest and greatest in technology.

1. Definitely a lot of gory action in AoC

2. Best animations available

3. AoC also has this naturally otrherwise it would not be a MMORPG. You will of course also find this in other MMORPGs

4. World PvP with consequence system.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Originally posted by Soki123

Rohn i see you in alot of AOC threads. Do you even have an active sub to the game and if not how long ago did you?

Neither Rohn, Scaredgirl, Azrile, Unfinished, Elsabolts, and many more ppl that post here I believe have not subbed to the game since start of summer. They can only give you advice that is half a year out of date, that is the reality of the situation - you will notice they avoid topics on new content because they haven't got a leg to stand on in giving accurate info out, based on current personal experience coupled with limited time with the game back in many months prior. They simply just do not know what it is like. Some may say they "borrowed" a friends account to try out a month back, but really 2 hrs play experience is not what some people here are after. Some of those people have agenda's against FC from many years ago, so they were already skewed outlook. AoC was legitmately in this poll just like all those other games that were linked on their respective fan sites. Some people with detremental agenda's simple can not take this. Kings Bounty was linked on many Russian fan sites.

I suggest reading their post history to get a clear representation of their intent.

Avery has no clue if or when any of the folks he names above were subscribed to the game, but does continue to beat the same tired line of propaganda - "anyone who doesn't like AoC hasn't played it since launch and has outdated information".  That just simply is not true, no matter his simplistic generalizations, or how much he wishes it were so.  But the truth matters little when some character assassination will do the job nicely, I guess, right Avery?

Obviously, in his position as the AoC correspondent, his agenda is pretty much self-evident - it's not even necessary to evaluate posting history.  Clearly, fanbois like that (i.e. Wargpest, BearShammy, Transporter, etc) will say and do just about anything in defense of the object of their fanaticism, and do whatever it takes to make it look better than it is, including intentionally mislead or deceive other people, which is a rather sickening aspect of human behavior.  This is exemplified perfectly in the VE poll, which was recently modified to allow only registered voters to vote because of tampering with the poll, and the people posting on the AoC forum explaining how and encouraging others to cheat on the poll.

I can't imagine anyone still trying to claim the Voodoo Extreme poll as accurate or valid, given the shennanigans that the web site itself admits to, but fanaticism knows no bounds.  In my opinion, anyone that would stake their reputation to the validity of that poll is someone that probably should not be looked to as an objective, impartial, or even rational source of credible information.

The worst part about all of this is that it is pointless, which perhaps makes it all the more sickening.  What does it matter if the game legitimately came out at the top of every Game of the Year list known to mankind, or at the top of every Worst of the Year list?  Fans of a lot of games seem overly concerned with where their game ranks, or how many subs it has, seemingly as validation to know that they've "won" as far as picking a game is concerned.  How does where a game places affect a gamer's enjoyment of their chosen game?  And why would any normal human being actually cheat, for the image of a game?

Case in point: Warhammer has won just about every major MMO of the Year award for 2008 thus far released.  A question for AoC fans - Does that mean WAR is a better game than AoC?

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Rohn

Rohn i see you in alot of AOC threads. Do you even have an active sub to the game and if not how long ago did you?

Neither Rohn, Scaredgirl, Azrile, Unfinished, Elsabolts, and many more ppl that post here I believe have not subbed to the game since start of summer. They can only give you advice that is half a year out of date, that is the reality of the situation - you will notice they avoid topics on new content because they haven't got a leg to stand on in giving accurate info out, based on current personal experience coupled with limited time with the game back in many months prior. They simply just do not know what it is like. Some may say they "borrowed" a friends account to try out a month back, but really 2 hrs play experience is not what some people here are after. Some of those people have agenda's against FC from many years ago, so they were already skewed outlook. AoC was legitmately in this poll just like all those other games that were linked on their respective fan sites. Some people with detremental agenda's simple can not take this. Kings Bounty was linked on many Russian fan sites.

I suggest reading their post history to get a clear representation of their intent.

Avery has no clue if or when any of the folks he names above were subscribed to the game, but does continue to beat the same tired line of propaganda - "anyone who doesn't like AoC hasn't played it since launch and has outdated information".  That just simply is not true, no matter his simplistic generalizations, or how much he wishes it were so.  But the truth matters little when some character assassination will do the job nicely, I guess, right Avery?

Obviously, in his position as the AoC correspondent, his agenda is pretty much self-evident - it's not even necessary to evaluate posting history.  Clearly, fanbois like that (i.e. Wargpest, BearShammy, Transporter, etc) will say and do just about anything in defense of the object of their fanaticism, and do whatever it takes to make it look better than it is, including intentionally mislead or deceive other people, which is a rather sickening aspect of human behavior.  This is exemplified perfectly in the VE poll, which was recently modified to allow only registered voters to vote because of tampering with the poll, and the people posting on the AoC forum explaining how and encouraging others to cheat on the poll.

I can't imagine anyone still trying to claim the Voodoo Extreme poll as accurate or valid, given the shennanigans that the web site itself admits to, but fanaticism knows no bounds.  In my opinion, anyone that would stake their reputation to the validity of that poll is someone that probably should not be looked to as an objective, impartial, or even rational source of credible information.

The worst part about all of this is that it is pointless, which perhaps makes it all the more sickening.  What does it matter if the game legitimately came out at the top of every Game of the Year list known to mankind, or at the top of every Worst of the Year list?  Fans of a lot of games seem overly concerned with where their game ranks, or how many subs it has, seemingly as validation to know that they've "won" as far as picking a game is concerned.  How does where a game places affect a gamer's enjoyment of their chosen game?  And why would any normal human being actually cheat, for the image of a game?

Case in point: Warhammer has won just about every major MMO of the Year award for 2008 thus far released.  A question for AoC fans - Does that mean WAR is a better game than AoC?

I haven't played it since launch, but I can guarentee that the things I hated about the game are still in there. Extreme instancing and the horrible combat system were my two biggest gripes, and I bet they haven't changed much(except maybe less instances due to less people).

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• BearShammyBearShammy Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by Rohn

I think you very conveniently again chose to ignore the fact that the VE poll admin made it very clear to everybody that they have IP control on the Poll meaning nobody can duplicate votes unless they change router. lol

• ScaredgirlScaredgirl Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by BearShammy

You would not just pull that out of your ass considdering you post like 100+ "I hate AoC posts pr day". lol, Another thing, explain us again how can you advice as an expert on a game you have not played. lol

I didn't say I was an expert but I have played AoC (very recently actually) and I have a right to say my opinion even if it's different from yours.

-----------------------------
    Originally posted by Frobner
    "Massive sieges" "mounted combat" and "spellweaving" are just few words that spring to mind when I hear the word AOC.... But the word FAILURE will always top the list.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Opticaleye

Originally posted by Scaredgirl

Originally posted by ScamMan

The vote was ligit so knock it off. #2 Game of the year.

Funcom shills exploited the poll and voted multiple times. They even encouraged all AoC fanbois to do the same.

They changed the poll so that now you have to be registered to vote but they didn't reset the poll.

There has been threads about this subject. If you just look at the poll for 5 seconds you can see it's complete bs.

Prove it.Specifically the exploit and the multiple voting.

You can say it all day long but until you prove it the accusation is worthless.Before you call me fanboi i have not played ANY mmo in over 6 months.

forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php

Pay attention to post #54 by Gl0rySeeker.

Proof enough for you? Or is the accusation still worthless?

Errr... you refer to a poll in progress. lol, WAR might very well win the Persistent World whateverprice. BUT, we all see how well WAR did in the Game of the year poll. AND the biggest poll of them all is the Game of the year poll and again since you did not get it the first time. AoC came in as #2 Game of the year for 2008. ve3d.ign.com/poll/results/237/2008-Game-of-the-Year. There were like 15000 people voting and AoC alone got like 2100 of these. Again, we don't care about other obscure polls we are talking about THE GAME OF THE YEAR here. Otherwise I would just pull this poll in right away where AoC came in as #2 again as Best RPG of 2008 ve3d.ign.com/poll/234/Role-Playing-Game-of-the-Year

This is damn good considering all the games on that list. Left4Dead, Kings Bounty, Call of Duty, Warhammer, WOW and so on. WAR comes in after WOW even.

Errr... you refer to a poll in progress. lol, WAR might very well win the Persistent World whateverprice. BUT, we all see how well WAR did in the Game of the year poll. AND the biggest poll of them all is the Game of the year poll and again since you did not get it the first time. AoC came in as #2 Game of the year for 2008. ve3d.ign.com/poll/results/237/2008-Game-of-the-Year. There were like 15000 people voting and AoC alone got like 2100 of these. Again, we don't care about other obscure polls we are talking about THE GAME OF THE YEAR here. Otherwise I would just pull this poll in right away where AoC came in as #2 again as Best RPG of 2008 ve3d.ign.com/poll/234/Role-Playing-Game-of-the-Year
    This is damn good considering all the games on that list. Left4Dead, Kings Bounty, Call of Duty, Warhammer, WOW and so on. WAR comes in after WOW even.

Let me break it down to you. The game is in second place only because the fanbois cheated. If it wasn't for people using different browsers and deleting their cookies, AoC would be no where near the top.

The game is not GoTY material, plain and simple.

Originally posted by heartless

Let me break it down to you. The game is in second place only because the fanbois cheated. If it wasn't for people using different browsers and deleting their cookies, AoC would be no where near the top.

WTF are you talking about? The very thread you yourself pasted into this therad above have like 5000 individual account views. And over 2100 of those reading that thread obviously voted for their game which was AoC. Again, sinse things obviously are not sinking in very well, let me say this again: The AoC community is rather large, the Game of the year thread had like 5000 views (from different accounts) and it is perfectly logical that a some thousand of those went and voted for AoC. The inconsistency you are looking for is not there. Sorry. Also you again very conveniently ignore what the poll admin states over and over again, "The poll is IP protected, dupe votes are not possible". Here look it up please ve3d.ign.com/poll/237/2008-Game-of-the-Year . His name is Robert Apache Howarth. Go fetch your FC-voodoo doll and keep praying, BUT the poll is damn valid and AoC won with like a landslide in front of other MMOs on that list.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Funcom shills exploited the poll and voted multiple times. They even encouraged all AoC fanbois to do the same.

They changed the poll so that now you have to be registered to vote but they didn't reset the poll.

There has been threads about this subject. If you just look at the poll for 5 seconds you can see it's complete bs.

You can say it all day long but until you prove it the accusation is worthless.Before you call me fanboi i have not played ANY mmo in over 6 months.

There was significant votes before that post was made. Enough to put it in the top 5 still. All duplicate voting from IP was deleted. That thread has only 88 posts in it too.

Same goes for all the other games where the link was posted, such as here in the pub section and every other game on that list's fansites specific.

AoC is worthy of most improved GOTY not the best though.

Lets wait for the European equivilent "onlineweltens" poll

WTF are you talking about? The very thread you yourself pasted into this therad above have like 5000 individual account views. And over 2100 of those reading that thread obviously voted for their game which was AoC. Again, sinse things obviously are not sinking in very well, let me say this again: The AoC community is rather large, the Game of the year thread had like 5000 views (from different accounts) and it is perfectly logical that a some thousand of those went and voted for AoC. The inconsistency you are looking for is not there. Sorry. Also you again very conveniently ignore what the poll admin states over and over again, "The poll is IP protected, dupe votes are not possible". Here look it up please ve3d.ign.com/poll/237/2008-Game-of-the-Year . His name is Robert Apache Howarth. Go fetch your FC-voodoo doll and keep praying, BUT the poll is damn valid and AoC won with like a landslide in front of other MMOs on that list.

The individual views mean nothing when there is a post outlining how to cheat the poll. And a post saying that a guy voted again for AoC.

What I can see from those 5000+ views and the poll results is that more than half of the people who read that post did not vote for AoC. Even with the cheating.

That's right, half of the people who read AoC forums either didn't vote for their game or voted for something else.

Edit: As for that IP control thing, that's very easy to get around. Besides that, IGN wouldn't have changed the poll to be available to registered users only if the IP thing was working.

The individual views mean nothing when there is a post outlining how to cheat the poll. And a post saying that a guy voted again for AoC.

What I can see from those 5000+ views and the poll results is that more than half of the people who read that post did not vote for AoC. Even with the cheating.

That's right, half of the people who read AoC forums either didn't vote for their game or voted for something else.

OK so you are psycic now. Those 5000 viewing that thread did not actually vote for AoC now... They voted for something else, And the 2100 Votes AoC got, they got from one guy only that was able to dupe votes in spite of the IP control of IGNs poll site. lol. Dude thats some epic shit. lol

• SilenciumSilencium Member Posts: 86

Edit: As for that IP control thing, that's very easy to get around. Besides that, IGN wouldn't have changed the poll to be available to registered users only if the IP thing was working.

I hate to get into this catfight but I belive you forgete to commente on BearShammys point. IGN have IP control protection on their polls. It's impossible to dupe/cheat votes as that Admin says.

• DaveTTDaveTT Member Posts: 405

MMORPGers I am looking into Age of Conan. What are your thoughts on Conan? Is it a good game or not so much? It gets over 2000 votes in Voodoo Extremes yearly Game of the Year Award :/
    ve3d.ign.com/poll/results/237/2008-Game-of-the-Year
    Might make it into my 2009 game experience.

Yes, i recommend you to buy AOC its a really cool and fun game

AOC had alot of problems at release, but now pretty much all does problems are gone. And they have added alot of new stuff for example, many new quests for all lvls, revamped dungeons, a hole new zone Ymir's pass lvl 55-65 ( a really cool zone ), pvp-gear, pvp-lvls, pvp-system, many new items and alot more.

In january they will release a new huge patch with 3 new dungeons, DX10, pvp-resources, and much more.

So yes this game is great  

And its really cool that AOC got so many votes, its definitely top 5 best game this year, I personally think Gears of War 2 was the best game this year. Fallout 3 is also cool, but Gears of War 2 is better. Btw im lvl 15 on fallout, Threee doggss auuuhhhhh !

------------------------------

Bear Grylls : I need to get out of this frozen hellhole!
    Bear Grylls : (Holds a beetle in his hand) 4 times more protein then Beef

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Capn23

Look. Don't listen to anyone on these forums. If the game interests you, buy it and try it out or wait for the trial coming in '09. All you'll get here is biased trolls and fanbois.

To be honest, I recently got the game and I'm loving it, despite all the supposed problems there are.

PvP in White Sands is pretty enjoyable. Ganking is not that terrible. The majority of the community are really fun people. You just get a few loud mouthed asshats. The best thing to do is just ignore Global Chat unless you are looking for a group. The PvE is really interesting and fun, albeit a bit repetitive, but the combat system is so interesting that I don't really feel the grind.

My suggestions, but take them with a grain of salt:
    1. Bring some friends along for the ride
    2. Don't take everything as a personal insult. Being able to laugh at yourself is crucial
    3. Utilize the ignore option when needed =)
    4. DON'T BE ANTISOCIAL! Seriously...get into a guild. Invite people to group with you if you see them doing the same quest. Making friends is crucial to having the most fun.
    5. Avoid Global Chat and out-of-character drama.

Hope you try the game out =)

I also have been enjoying the game. There were alot of technical problems when the game came out. The game is definitely fun when playing with a friend. Note, I have tried other games and for now, I subscribe to only two, AoC and WoW. Good luck and have fun playing.  

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827

LMFAO

• OpticaleyeOpticaleye Member Posts: 498

YOU have done nothing more than provide a link to AoC forums so yes still worthless.

Prove not just to me but everyone else that there is this grand conspiracy by FC to take over a poll for game of the year.I too can provide links to the AoC forums but it does nothing to implicate FC.

So what is it against "the rules" for a company to encourage its fan base to vote for AoC or ANY game for GOTY?

I thought the implication was that FC itself had taken over the polls and the employees at FC had voted multiple times.

Let me be clear:Prove that FUNCOM had the ability to vote as many times as they wanted to make AOC a competitor for GOTY.

Show that the conspiracy is in fact true.

What is your physical limit?

• SilenciumSilencium Member Posts: 86

YOU have done nothing more than provide a link to AoC forums so yes still worthless.

Prove not just to me but everyone else that there is this grand conspiracy by FC to take over a poll for game of the year.I too can provide links to the AoC forums but it does nothing to implicate FC.

So what is it against "the rules" for a company to encourage its fan base to vote for AoC or ANY game for GOTY?

I thought the implication was that FC itself had taken over the polls and the employees at FC had voted multiple times.

Let me be clear:Prove that FUNCOM had the ability to vote as many times as they wanted to make AOC a competitor for GOTY.

Show that the conspiracy is in fact true.

Good point but I can't wrape my head around this discussion in the first place as IGN have IP protection on the poll as in only 1 vote pr IP adresse. Look here is what Poll admin says

"Note to people trying to spam the poll. The dupe votes get deleted so stop wasting time."

AoC haters, you have to tell us why we should not belive the IGN networks admin. He says it's all ok.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Many people on the AoC forums voted for other games. Fallout 3 was highly praised on the AoC forums.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• ScamManScamMan Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by xpiher

Many people on the AoC forums voted for other games. Fallout 3 was highly praised on the AoC forums.

It's perfectly ok to link a poll to a forum page. WAR did this, WOW did this as did Left4dead with others. Belive me I have played both WOW, WAR and AoC in 2008, and the game coming out on the top of those was AoC. Age of Conan deserves second place as Game of the year 2008. In particular when you also considder that AoC got second place as RPG of the year.

ve3d.ign.com/poll/237/2008-Game-of-the-Year

ve3d.ign.com/poll/234/Role-Playing-Game-of-the-Year

• painbreakerpainbreaker Member Posts: 88

Sry, but there's only one thing I can say when AoC wins an award:

"The voters haven't played AoC"

I'm sorry, but AoC was one of the greatest diappointments in the year 2008. And I think the huge amount of players which left AoC says all. I mean... where is the new DX10 Version which was promised, or the huge battles with 200vs200... or the great PvE (I mean - what the hell was this? worst Raidbosses I ever saw/ played against)..

but that are just my 2 cents and pls don't take them personal.

Pain

When the war of the beasts brings about the world’s end,
    the goddess descends from the sky, wings of light and dark spread afar.

• HalfliferHalflifer Member Posts: 19

Thanks for all response. I'll give AoC a go.

Originally posted by Silencium

Good point but I can't wrape my head around this discussion in the first place as IGN have IP protection on the poll as in only 1 vote pr IP adresse. Look here is what Poll admin says
    "Note to people trying to spam the poll. The dupe votes get deleted so stop wasting time."
    AoC haters, you have to tell us why we should not belive the IGN networks admin. He says it's all ok.

The assertions by the admin were obviously incorrect, and the supposed IP protection wasn't effective.  A few days ago, the poll was changed so that only registered members could vote.  The reason why is posted clearly at the top of the poll:

"What do you think is the 2008 Game of the Year? To prevent tampering, the poll is now for registered users only!"

If the IP protection was working as intended, there would have been no reason to restrict it further.  In short, they needed to make it for registered members only in order to prevent the tampering they admit was occuring.

If they had reset the poll, and modified the end date again to give it another two weeks, I think they would have done something positive for the integrity of the poll.  They have not done that, leaving the duplicate votes that occured in during the first couple of weeks, before being a registered member was required, still in the count.  As a result, there is no confidence in the validity of the poll - it just isn't credible.

Originally posted by xpiher

It's perfectly ok to link a poll to a forum page. WAR did this, WOW did this as did Left4dead with others. Belive me I have played both WOW, WAR and AoC in 2008, and the game coming out on the top of those was AoC. Age of Conan deserves second place as Game of the year 2008. In particular when you also considder that AoC got second place as RPG of the year.

ve3d.ign.com/poll/237/2008-Game-of-the-Year

ve3d.ign.com/poll/234/Role-Playing-Game-of-the-Year

I agree that every company has a definite right to link any such poll to their web site to publicize them.  I don't think there is anything wrong with this at all.

But the problem here was not with Funcom, it was with a few of the fans that were giving instructions on how to cheat and vote multiple times.  The only culpability I believe that FC has in this is just that the forum moderators should have edited or deleted those types of posts, which they did not do.

Given that the supposed IP protection on the VE site was not effective enough, in that they needed to restrict it further to registered members to actually prevent the admitted tampering, all it would have taken was for one of the people advocating cheating to drop 50 or so votes on the site per day to skew the results.

As far as it also being runner up as RPG of the year, note that this occured on the same website, and had the same vulnerability for exploitation as the current poll.  Essentially, it's probably no more valid than the GotY poll.

As an aside, I also played each of the games listed above - namely AoC, WotLK, and WAR.  In my opinion, AoC is not in the same league as the other two titles, with WoW and WAR both being superior games.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Are you kidding me?  AOC should not be anywhere near the top 5.  The game still has the same development team.  They lack vision, and they treat customers like garbage.  It is still the same.  The game ran smooth as glass for me at laucnh, and I still left due to their company ethics.  Maybe some people lack scruples, but they need to fire a lot more people than just Gaute to get me back, starting with their volunteer forum mods. 

Fallout 3 is where it should be, at the top.  Other than that, the whole poll is being jacked up by internet forum fanboys, and is a complete and total joke. 

If Fallout 3, GTAIV, and Gears of War 2 are not in the top 3, nobody is going to take this thing seriously.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.