Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlantica Online /moved

joejccva71joejccva71 Member UncommonPosts: 848

Was reading about this game, and was wondering if anyone has tried it? I understand it's turn based so wasn't sure if it would be appealing, but from reading the forums it says somewhat populated.

Has anyone tried this game, and can you give me your thoughts about it?

Comments

• ZoMBiEXxXZoMBiEXxX Member Posts: 107

I play this game religiously it is one of the best MMO's out at the moment. (imo)

You pick your main character and then up to 8 mercinaries to fight with you in every battle which makes for some serious intense fights. Fighting in Atlantica requires a lot of strategy not button mashing like other MMO's. Guild system is pretty straight forward but town control as well as guild crafting and dungeons are a new thing in my experiences. Overall I like Atlantica far more than WoW, AoC, and WAR... I am looking forward to some new games that are coming out but I will be playing Atlantica for a long time.

"Da bigger da Orc, da stronger da Orc. Da stronger da Orc, da more dat's Orc's da boss. No wonder da Black Orcs is always da bosses!"
    - Splinta, a Goblin in the Bloody Sun Boyz tribe

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I've played this wonderful game alot and have a level 66 or so spearman.  This game and Runes of Magic make pay to play games like WoW, AoC, War, LotRO obsolete imho. I just assume let the weak-minded continue to get fleeced and finance the other afformentioned games that they actually pay for less so my servers on Atlantica or RoM dont begin to crowd up.   Gotta love getting more graphics, game-play, content, diversity and community for a fraction of the price.

• joejccva71joejccva71 Member UncommonPosts: 848

Yea I heard it's the best F2P game that has every been released. I'm really surprised that its free. I'll try it.

Thanks alot guys.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

It's only free if you're content to have a character far inferior to what people who buy item mall stuff get.  If you want to be competitive, "free to play" games tend to be a lot more expensive than subscription ones. 

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Quizzical

It's only free if you're content to have a character far inferior to what people who buy item mall stuff get.  If you want to be competitive, "free to play" games tend to be a lot more expensive than subscription ones. 

That's a stereotype and goes to show you haven't played the game or you're woefully misinformed.  Atlantica is known for having one of the best item malls, where the items sold are convenience items only, not uber weapons or gear that give competitive advantages.  You can literally play all of Atlantica Online without spending a dime, if you want to, since you don't need to pay to unlock content or levels, either.

~Ripper

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

With anything one has to use common sense and moderation. As said if Atlantica's item shop isn't filled with weapons and uber items that isn't a problem. Also no one is forcing a person to spend lots of money in the mall either.

I do want to check this out. Turn based combat in a mmo is interest. Being an RPG fan in general I happen to like turn based combat over real time anyway.

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499

Meh.. I really don't like turn-based games but I'm giving Atlantica a shot since people keep saying good things about it.

Edit: Having tons of trouble downloading it..

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Ignorant.  Thats the best way to describe you, and thats kind.  Not only is item mall to character power a stereotype with AO and RoM, you obviously have the most mis-informed sense when it comes to these 2 games and the nonsense that either would end up costing more than something like WoW, WAR, AoC, DAoC, LotRO, etc. 

The contrary is true.  Not only is the content as rich and the game-play and community as broad and deep as what I wasted money on in boxes and subscription fees, the overall cost is less.  There isnt an item-shop item in either of these games that gives a player a competitive edge; not to mention, that everything in the item shop in Atlantica Online, for the most part can be gained through game-play.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

I'm not the one here who is ignorant.  I have played Atlantica.

At release, the item mall wasn't terribly unbalancing.  Power potions gave a clear advantage, but were restricted to pve only.  Licenses were conveniences only, but that's why most players didn't buy them.

So have a look at the Oriharukon Enhance Stones they added a couple weeks ago.  A +10 enchanted item normally costs about about as thousand times as much as a +0, even if you don't count the cost of the enchant or enhance stones.  Unless the item mall stones aren't nearly as good as advertised, they bring this cost down exponentially.

So someone who buys the Oriharukon Enhance Stones would get better gear in a month of farming than someone without them would get in a few years of farming.  You don't think that high level pve will assume that players have item mall items?  The advantages of enchanted gear are decreased in pvp, but not eliminated, which means that for high-end pvp, they'll be absolutely essential.

And you don't think that Ndoors is done adding unbalancing things to their item mall yet, do you?  We know now that as of the start of December, they certainly weren't.

I haven't looked into Runes of Magic that much.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's nothing unbalancing in their item mall yet.  But if that's the case, then most players won't buy stuff from the item mall.  That will mean they have to add increasingly unbalancing items to get revenue.  And so they will.

• tangukogdotangukogdo Member Posts: 1

I'm not the one here who is ignorant.  I have played Atlantica.
    At release, the item mall wasn't terribly unbalancing.  Power potions gave a clear advantage, but were restricted to pve only.  Licenses were conveniences only, but that's why most players didn't buy them.
    So have a look at the Oriharukon Enhance Stones they added a couple weeks ago.  A +10 enchanted item normally costs about about as thousand times as much as a +0, even if you don't count the cost of the enchant or enhance stones.  Unless the item mall stones aren't nearly as good as advertised, they bring this cost down exponentially.
    So someone who buys the Oriharukon Enhance Stones would get better gear in a month of farming than someone without them would get in a few years of farming.  You don't think that high level pve will assume that players have item mall items?  The advantages of enchanted gear are decreased in pvp, but not eliminated, which means that for high-end pvp, they'll be absolutely essential.
    And you don't think that Ndoors is done adding unbalancing things to their item mall yet, do you?  We know now that as of the start of December, they certainly weren't.
    I haven't looked into Runes of Magic that much.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's nothing unbalancing in their item mall yet.  But if that's the case, then most players won't buy stuff from the item mall.  That will mean they have to add increasingly unbalancing items to get revenue.  And so they will.

Well your ignorant dude, no offense meant. Power potions do give extra experience but that same bonus experience can be enjoyed every weekend and holidays. And the fact that GMs usually gives power potions away just by being logged-in when GM does give it away, erases the so called imbalance that you said against power potions.

Another thing, you can enchant normal items up to those Oriharukon levels through normal play. Lolz. Your completely ignorant about this. Farming in the game do not entirely mean level grinding alone/hunting, you can as well craft items/armors so that you can make gold in which you can use to buy better weapons and armors.

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499

Okay, I just tried it.

It was fun at first, but I got bored @ level 8. I don't like the idea of having a ton of different characters. It should be your one hero that gains exp and levels up, while your mercenaries don't have a level.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

It's yet another crappy  item shop grinder.

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

I've tried this game back in August  and its as bad as any other turn based combat game. The storyline in the game is good though. If it just didn't have that crappy turn based combat, I'd still be playing it. Turn based combat and click to move are game killers for me.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• ricojpunoricojpuno Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Korby

Okay, I just tried it.

It was fun at first, but I got bored @ level 8. I don't like the idea of having a ton of different characters. It should be your one hero that gains exp and levels up, while your mercenaries don't have a level.

so it means that you just like those repetitive hack and slash mindless MMORPGs.. those games dosent require any skills, just click and kill, click and kill..  maybe its just up to your limit, meaning you just can play those kind of games, not the games that requires strategies and tactics.. and u cant handle more than one hero in a game.. i pity you.. unskillful and have no micro management...

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

Okay, I just tried it.

Some people prefere table tennis to Soccer.

I prefere Soccer . I prefere Atlantica Online.

Remember playing EQ or WoW and starting new characters ?

Having to raise a team of mercs  in AO is like playing all your favourite alts at the same time.

Atlantica is pure Genius.

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• candymuffinscandymuffins Member Posts: 22

Fact is that the people that really want that +10 gear will get it.  I enchant the crap out of all my gear the old fashioned way.  Adding the ability to pay for the +10 isnt bad at all.  You guys act like they are giving people an "I WIN" button, and if you think that +10 gear alone without the skill to back it makes you awesome --- you are wrong.

Skill > All else

Their item mall is by far one of the most balanced I have seen.  Stop the bitchin or find another game to play and let the rest of us with more than half a brain enjoy Atlantica.

• candymuffinscandymuffins Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by vladww

Okay, I just tried it.

Some people prefere table tennis to Soccer.

I prefere Soccer . I prefere Atlantica Online.

Remember playing EQ or WoW and starting new characters ?

Having to raise a team of mercs  in AO is like playing all your favourite alts at the same time.

Atlantica is pure Genius.

This is exactly why I love Atlantica.

Guys, seriously, when you read about the game before you download it and you read TURN BASED STRATEGY -- what exactly do you think its going to be?  Of couse it is going to be multiple characters which you control since that is the definition of what a turn based strategy game is.

/sigh

Read game descriptions please. 

Do not complain that an apple is not an orange because it is.... an apple.

• ramilendrianramilendrian Member Posts: 3

Okay, I just tried it.

WTF?! level 8? its just a couple of mins after the tutoral... u cant even write a review about a game if u just played that long.. dude, seriously.. if you're just bitching and telling other players that this game sucks, then you are not a convincing one..

I bet you dont know how to play chess cause it is a "strategy" game that needs "tactics" and also have "many pieces" on it.. even in PS you dont want to  play NBA cause you have to pass the ball to other players and press other buttons to call a play.. you are mindless man...

if you really have no skills and just want to control 1 character.. why dont you try to play fishing games.. leave us alone here cause we are enjoying in this game...

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

A couple of points:

If you are below level 96-97 you do not know anything about AO to really comment besides it has, like most F2P, very catchy beginning (no, lvl 120 is nowhere near lvl 100 which is nowhere near lvl 90, else we would all be lvl 120 by now).

Eg. levelling mercs is pure genius - till you reach midgame and changing merc is weeks long affair. More things working great at start change a lot later, including social tools.

AO had unbelievable saint item mall when released, but has been moving in dangerous direction since then. It is still too new game to judge; next item mall patch will show long term intention. It does not matter how majority of mall looks like, it only takes one rotten offer to destroy game ballance (say balancing dungeons around assumption you have power pot, ballancing boss fight around assumption you have mall scrolls, selling items that can be freely convented into gear - see?).

There is only so much strategy involved when 5/9 mercs are mandatory and when there is no choice of gear at all. People getting into second best PvP division by using automatic battle are living proof.

• impaktoimpakto Member Posts: 314

i think you havent really tried playing the game.. been playing the game for more than a month now and it havent cost me money yet.. its up to uou if you'd buy from the item mall.. me, i dont buy, you can play without buying and be strong like all others.. im level 71 now at argos and no money spent...