Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server question

Well Im joining SWG tomorow after I buy the game and I have a question about a server.

I live in Europe and if I join a server like Starsider which I think is based in America will I get lag as its not European?

And also if its ok to join a server thats not European have any suggestions on a server?

Comments

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

My suggestion is to start with the trial before laying down any $$$ to be sure you want to play this game. 

Check out a few servers and make up your mind from there.  Keep in mind that a free CTS is to happen in January so that should influence your decision.

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• pdxgeekpdxgeek Member Posts: 585
    Originally posted by Darth_Dae

Well Im joining SWG tomorow after I buy the game and I have a question about a server.

I live in Europe and if I join a server like Starsider which I think is based in America will I get lag as its not European?

And also if its ok to join a server thats not European have any suggestions on a server?

Do not pay for anything before you have tried the trial and only then after you played the trial beyond the newbie station and first set of tatooine quests.

You can download the trial from www.tryswg.com and see if it's something you really want to play.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

As others have indicated, use the trial before you buy, and be sure to get off the newbie station and experience the actual game you'll be playing in.

Having said that, I've played on European servers from the west coast of the US and not had any serious lag issues.  A number of European folks played on my US west coast server, Ahazi, with few problems aside from the timeshifting of "prime time" when you're 5 to 8 hours ahead of most of the population on the server.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

There are SWG servers on the West Coast of America, the East Coast of America and in the Netherlands.

If like me you are in Europe, your worst ping times will be to US West Coast servers, if you have a decent ISP at your end this might only be an issue in mass PvP where ping times are important, but I play on West Coast servers and it's usually not too bad.

Here's a list of servers by population and location, take your pick.

Medium/Low Population West Coast USA Server

Corbantis

Intrepid

Kettemoor

Naritus

Scylla

Tempest

Valcyn

Medium/High Population West Coast USA Server

Ahazi

Bria

Flurry

Sunrunner

Medium/Low Population East Coast USA

Kauri

Lowca

Tarquinas

Wanderhome

Medium/High Population East Coast USA

Bloodfin

Chilastra

Eclipse

Gorath

Radiant

Shadowfire

Starsider

Medium/Low Population Europe Server

Europe-Infinity

Medium/High Population Europe Server

Europe-Chimaera

Europe-FarStar

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Pay attention to a server list can be found somewhere here about which server will allow free transfer. If you choose the wrong one it may get deserted and shutdown ..there are not many healthy servers up..the majority are low pop

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Pay attention to a server list can be found somewhere here about which server will allow free transfer. If you choose the wrong one it may get deserted and shutdown ..there are not many healthy servers up..the majority are low pop

Its been stated theres no intention to shut any server down too soon, so you're ok on that front.

I live in the UK and play on Chilastra, an East Coast US server, and dont have anymore problems with lag than i do if i test out the European Servers. Similarly ive tried out some of the west coast servers, and not too much difference there. I'd base the decision on whether you're going to play a US server or a European Server on whether you plan on staying up late for the rest of the server to become most active in the evening US time. 

Good luck with your decision, and if you end up choosing Chilastra, be sure to contact me (Saay IGN) and il help you out!

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925
    Originally posted by saay

Its been stated theres no intention to shut any server down too soon, so you're ok on that front.

I live in the UK and play on Chilastra, an East Coast US server, and dont have anymore problems with lag than i do if i test out the European Servers. Similarly ive tried out some of the west coast servers, and not too much difference there. I'd base the decision on whether you're going to play a US server or a European Server on whether you plan on staying up late for the rest of the server to become most active in the evening US time. 

Good luck with your decision, and if you end up choosing Chilastra, be sure to contact me (Saay IGN) and il help you out!

Well...SOE has made a lot of statements that were flat out false.  Are they telling the truth now or are they once again dangling the carrot? 

The logical next step after the free CTS is forced moves and server shutdowns.  This is something they have already done before.

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• pdxgeekpdxgeek Member Posts: 585

If anybody actually believes that SOE is going to leave all the servers up and running after the transfers then they are an idiot.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Respectfully, the question you need to ask yourself is if this was your business would you leave half of your servers open with little to no one using them?

The ethical answer would be unequivocally yes because you don't want to upset your playerbase unless you've given them an opportunity to change their situation.

• pacashe109pacashe109 Member Posts: 41

i work at circuit city and it sucks should i play star wars again?