Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fun and boring game

xusheng2xusheng2 Member Posts: 109

Maplestory is in my opinion a fun and boring game depending on whether you have friends in the game or not, it has a good community and can be really fun if your playing with friends, or it can really boring where your just killing monsters endlessly for exp.

Playing: WoW and Guild wars faction.
waiting on: GW2 and next WoW expansion =)
played: flyff, diablo2, maplestory, dungeon runners, eudemons online, conquer online, runescape, decide online, perfect world, and atlantica.

Comments

• GothikaboyGothikaboy Member UncommonPosts: 119

Do you like maplestory?

no

75.0%

yes

0.0%

hate it!

0.0%

love it!

0.0%

never played it

25.0%

lol

Please do not hype any gam.. oh wait, nevermind... forgot what forum I was on.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by xusheng2

Maplestory is in my opinion a fun and boring game depending on whether you have friends in the game or not, it has a good community and can be really fun if your playing with friends, or it can really boring where your just killing monsters endlessly for exp.

You just said your friends are fun and Maplestory isn't but you still play it anyway.  It's your choice if you choose to remain bored.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • xusheng2xusheng2 Member Posts: 109

no i said maplestory is fun if you play with friends.

Playing: WoW and Guild wars faction.
    waiting on: GW2 and next WoW expansion =)
    played: flyff, diablo2, maplestory, dungeon runners, eudemons online, conquer online, runescape, decide online, perfect world, and atlantica.

• Nagrand99Nagrand99 Member Posts: 17

Maplestory is fun because I have alot of friends there

(Anyways Try Playing Wonderland Online)

• SkochitoSkochito Member Posts: 1

That's if ur friends r from the real world... Cause friends in the game cannot be trusted b trusted all... I don't fun you get from that...

• b2i12b2i12 Member Posts: 75

Good post. I would say I would agree with you MS is really fun if you have RW friends who play (which I do). It is a very grinding game and can become a very expensive ftp if you really get into. For example at one time I heard a guy was paying $30 a month on his pet and another ten on dble Xp. Thats $40 a month for a ftp (can anyone say crazy!!).

• NatukuNatuku Member Posts: 7

Do you like maplestory?

no - 35.9%

yes - 25.6%

hate it! - 5.1%

love it! - 15.4%

never played it - 17.9%

Based on 39 votes.

atm this is the %'s and if you look and do the math

35.9+5.1=41%

25.6+15.4=41%

so lmao its a tie right now.   And I love it, i'm playing with 2 friwnds ik in real life and lol it's so addicting i have a lvl 74 hermit, 40 brawler, 40 cleric, 38 page(soon to be 40 cuz i love it), 22 mage, 12 archer =] Try it its fun. Wisper me and ill buddy invite u(Mardia is my server) Names:

Natuku-simi-active

Cirym-active***

staffo-in-active

Sirym-simi-active

Obzel-active a little bit but not much

• lordcclordcc Member Posts: 1

Maplestory is some sort of crazy hunter that always gets me back seeing as I have friends and family within the game...... all of us who arereally really low levels but know a ton about the game. I have tried so many games but maple story always grabs be back for some reason even if it gets somewaht grind-ish. Nobility guild is recruitin 80+ on broa. Whisper 22trout and hope a Jr. Master is on if you want to join.

• misterdurpmisterdurp Member Posts: 157

Playing this game with family (or not so old friends :P) can be fun i guess, i played it solo and hated it. 3rd Quest: Kill 20 of this.. i pushed on for lvl 10 for the first job, tried to get a viable config for my quick slots, but it all was in vain, what a grind! Not to mention the combat system, which really is a thing of personal (dis)taste.

• RagekouRagekou Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by grunty

Originally posted by xusheng2

You just said your friends are fun and Maplestory isn't but you still play it anyway.  It's your choice if you choose to remain bored.

grunty has an excellent point. o.o;;

• xbanxban Member Posts: 2

lol wat the hell are talking are u talking about, the game has the worth community, and tat is exaclty why this games suks, ppl wont even give u 1k mesos, when they have like hundreds of millions 

• RagekouRagekou Member Posts: 21

It's because of MAPLE'S ECONOMY!  It affects people gone crazy.  Therefore, it's similar to RL economy.  Oh, we won't give you 1K mesos because we don't like you beg like this! ;)

• akinyundibaakinyundiba Member Posts: 1

"I played for a year, and I really regret it."

My first review, and it's for MapleStory? Well, let's get on with this. It's pretty much a basic MMORPG, with classes, monsters, etc. I was playing MapleStory for over a year, around September 05-October 06. Never made a review, but I thought I should do this for you guys out there. Got too lazy but here it is. So, let's get on with the real review.

Gameplay : 6/10

Gameplay isn't so bad in the beginning, I mean, your a new player, you have high expectations for that character. The keys you use for your skills / items are pretty easy, you won't have to open your inventory and double-click on the item you want to use. As for classes, you have the mighty warrior, exceeding in strength and defense, along with their mighty melee attacks. Then comes the bowman, with extreme accuracy and dexterity. Third, the rouge / thief. You can either throw stars or go into melee with one. Then, comes the magician, with exception paths to take. 4 main classes, with 2-3 paths to take for each one. As for builds, most people just follow the same build over and over and over for each classes. Nobody actually makes their own build and do what they want. Everyone else just refers to others and nobody relies on themselves for some uniqueness and variety. If you want to have fun, make a character to your own liking, and don't refer to guides. Unless you want to have fun and see how the old MapleStory was like, then go do so.

Soon enough you'll find training is just. boring. I mean, sure, you sit in your chair, stare at your screen and just look at your character fight and go, "YAY, my character leveled up!" After a while, it grows boring. If you want decent training, you'll probably have to either hack the game, pay someone to play for you or just leave something on your attack button while you sleep. Leveling is pretty easy once you begin, obviously your a new character, but as you progress, it takes DAYS to hit a level, unless your already addicted to it, then I have no other words to say to you. I also find the fact dying takes a toll on some classes, less of a price for others. For instance, I was a warrior and with warriors / bowman, and they lose about 10% exp every time I died, and at a level like I was at (75 is a low level these days), it can cost you about 2 million experience. Not a good sight. As if your a magician / thief, you'll lose considerably less exp since they need luck (Warriors and bowman do not need luck, unless you plan on making yourself weaker) and they only lose about...say, 5-7%? Big difference.

Servers : 5/10

The servers aren't half bad. With about 8 worlds out at this time, you'll probably find some variety. Although, if you have friends who play on other worlds, and he / she is looking for you, I think the person is going to have a rough time. Otherwise, I recommended just sticking to one server, so you don't make your friends worry, if you happen to have real friends. You'll see what I mean by this. Soon enough.

Storyline : 0/10

Pretty ironic if you ask me, surely a game with "story" in it's name must have a story, or else why bother putting story in the name? This just makes me wonder when I first played. Sigh, do people even take the time to think about names anymore?

Graphics : 7/10

For a 2D game, the graphics are pretty well done. It doesn't pay off much however, since you'll have to throw in a few bucks to actually look good and it expires after 90 days. I find it dumb to waste money to look good. Not much variety in it's towns, and characters, which makes it look pretty dull if you've played for quite a while. I mean, the buildings and everything look good, but platforms, chairs, benches look completely the same, only arranged differently. As for how characters look, it's not bad, although you'll have to expect to throw in a few bucks in order to get what you want. After you do throw in the money, it's actually somewhat worth it, the Cash Shop is almost like a mall, PLENTY of variety within the clothing you can choose. So putting in money can be worth it, if you want to spend money for no apparent reason.

Sound : 2/10

Music doesn't sound great. Might as well turn off the music and put your own playlist for that matter, because I doubt you'd want to listen to some happy music that seems to run along with the game. Please, do yourself a favor and put your own playlist when playing MS. I can't stand the little innocent music they put, while evil lurks around everyone's shoulder.

Admins : 0/10

GMs for this game do NOTHING. You see hackers EVERYWHERE, and yet, they do nothing about it. Yeah, maybe once a month does some good, but all they do is just come back. Lately, they've been a good job, but I still find them unreliable. As for the events they hold, they repeat them over and over for no reason. Everything looks the same, and events are even that often. Maybe, 1-3 times in about half a year? Maybe they just like sitting there, making money and checking out the havoc that's happening over MS, and not do anything about it. If only the admins were better, I think people would actually play some more, knowing the admins have their backs. Otherwise, don't waste your time hoping an admin / GM (GameMaster) will run along to come and help you with your problems.

Community : The admins got a 0? This doesn't even deserve a number.

Seriously, the community is just...like hell, if it were to be experienced. Everyone treats others like enemies, and if your new, you should look to being in solitude. That's right, people won't even help noobs, even if it's just about 100 mesos. If you want directions, they'll probably just pretend they never even saw you. People try to rip you off, scam you, and there's much more people can do to make you life miserable in MS. It's funny, things like this only happen in TOWNS. Things just get worse if your outside fighting monsters...Ah, if only MapleStory had a PvP system. You'll learn why I wished they had one soon enough.

Remember when I said that you'll do fine training if your alone? Well, now this is what happens if someone happens to run across your map. If their just passing by, I doubt much will happen, unless they happen to kill some monsters while running through the map to the next map. Now, if someone happens to actually stay in your map...then problems start to rise. The person will probably start KSing you, causing you to wonder : "What the heck is this person doing it my map? This is MY MAP." Apparently, people don't really care about others, as long as they get what they want, then they're happy. If your a ranged attacker, then I suppose you'll have no problem with a KSer as much. You can just kill from afar and pretend you never saw the person. Now, if you were a melee class like I was...then things won't be so pretty. Magicians and thieves LOVE to KS, especially when they have the chance to. They attack pretty fast, and they wreak havoc upon your little innocent and once peaceful map. This is just the beginning. If you happen to wander into a map where somebody is already occupying it, and the person happens to dislike anyone that comes to your map, expect to hear the phrase "cc plz" often. (Change channels please, in other words, but people are too lazy to type it out.) Now, if you don't? Well, expect a BIG, BIG harassment. You'll probably get stalked, and if your fighting, that stalker might actually plan on having fun to annoy the hell out of you.

On a side note, I liked every friend I made there. When time came to quit, funny how none of them tried to keep contact with me. These days, out of probably 50+ people I know, I only keep contact with like what, 2 of them? So beware. The friends you make may not be true friends after all. Keep that in mind.

Overall : 3/10

If only things were the same before January / February 06. Then, I would have given it about a 7-8. If you plan on playing now? Don't bother downloading this game. Trust me on this one, it's a total waste. I felt as if I was around 9-10 playing this childish game, so this game is probably recommended for children who haven't hit their teenage years yet. Those kids would probably find the most fun out of playing this game. Otherwise, the only advantage you'll have playing for this game is the fact it's free.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by akinyundiba

If only things were the same before January / February 06.

I'm not sure what happened in jan/feb of 06 ( release of 3rd jobs or 2x exp), but it is true the game was quite fun when it had just started out.   IMHO, the cash shop destroyed the game.   

• TweeberTweeber Member Posts: 7

I have to agree with you on pretty much everything you said. The community is what ended up killing it for me. A lot of players on MS backstab, are immature, lie, cheat, steal, whatever. I played it for about 5 months. I had a guild that had some very good people in it. But I started to lose interest in the game when the lag started happening. And my server (Galicia) was "compost" for lack of a better word.

The lag made the game really horrible in the end. I (or anyone I knew) couldn't do any of the "jump" quests because the game would lag and you would miss your landing or get hit by something and you would fall. I know a few people that had problems with their accounts getting hacked. I was "fame bullied" by someone I defamed for harrassing a noob. He logged in with a few other characters and defamed me. Then got on another account (I'm quite sure of it anyway) and defamed me more. The fame is something they need to get rid of. They really need to follow up on reports a lot better also. Someone threatened the life of a guildmate of mine. They never did follow up or say anything to him. The GM's get on the game once a week really and play Q&A games with people. It's quite lame to play. A lot of people just stay on there because they don't know another game that is made better. At least the game works smoothly and is easy to figure out, for the most part. Some quests don't makeany sense. Until another game comes out with good looking graphics, easy to play and is free....I think MS is going to stay on the top of the list for F2P MMO's for a while.

• TitiMinyTitiMiny Member Posts: 10

Maplestory should have had a story. Like really. Right now,i see two ''LIKE OF'' stories, such as, Evan been dragon masters and Aran been a hero who fought the black mage. What about adventurers,cygnus?

Upsides:

- If you are addicted,you might have alot of fun.

- Nx is not necessary, not even for 2x exp/drop cards. Just make up a family out of friends,get rep and use these.

- You can get nx by completing surveys(Just make an extra e-mail and send the junk to there)

- Getting money isn't hard. There is some monsters who drops items that are easily sellable without a shop/or/ that drop a bunch of mesos. (Example: Sakura Cellions and Leprechauns)

-  Some in-game items gained throught events are nice. (Example: Talking Witch Hat, It's ugly, but it had nice stats and it was easy to get if you killed enought monsters)

Downsides:

- Family system can be hard to make up if you have no friends. Adding random people can just...fail.

- ALOT of people are ''Noobs'' and not ''Newbs''. *

- Some people act like if they are gms or admins. But in fact. They are nothing different from a normal player. Talk big,is nothing. Or like ''OMG U SUK IL ASK MA GMZ BRO/SIS/FRiAND TO BAN YO!!!!'' Yes. With that spelling.

- Nx hores. People with lots of nx who thinks they are superior because they have nx.

- Most pqs require 2 people and over to do. 2 people isn't bad(Example: Ariant Pq). But imagine 6 people in ludibrium party quest aka Crack of Time. If One person dies or leaves,it's not a big prob before stage 8. Imagine if two or three stupid people die before that? You have to start again.

- Some people may not like spamming in the fms to be ignored, when trying to sell a scroll or such. That is why you might need a shop.

- Some people are awfully harsh. ''Cc plz'' isn't an option to make someone change channels, and most of the time,if you don't, they'll go like OMG YOU FUCKING NOOB THIS IS MY MAP. To be honest. It's a game. Instead of been like that, they could be polite and just either say : May you change channel please? I was here for a while. /or nicer people may:/  We could share the map if you want?

- New Low level areas are pretty rare, or are mostly boring and useless. The newest high lvl area( Neo City for example)

It required a watch, but carefull there buddy. IT IS ONE.TIME.USE. Which means you have to hunt for a new one each time you wanna take the portal again! These watch can take from 5 min to hours to drop from a monster in leafre.

-Unbalanced classes. Some classes are overpowered,while some are quite nerfed from other versions.

- Some of Evan skills requires mastery books that currently are not dropable. You have to buy them in the cash shop.**

My opinion:

I have been playing maplestory for as long as i can remember, probably since beta, but i was young and a kid at that time,so i do not remember much. I always liked playing, and was overly happy when i got my first cs set at lv 45.

The cash items aren't overly expensive, but they aren't needed. It's your choice to throw money in the well or not.

My favorite classes are f/p mages,clearly underpowered because their explosion don't even have a burn effect.

Evans are fun too,to me. People may hate or may love,their choice. What i like to do is events,but alot of them got me very bored. Some past year events went poof, newer events are most likely crap. Like web events. Never liked web events,anyways i am not allowed to participate in those(I live in Quebec, that is why i cannot).

The most horrible thing right now....LAG. Even on my wonderfull computer who can take probably all the newest boosted graphics, the game is the most laggy game i played( Beside Mabinogi at one time,but that was on my old comp ).

Sometime it is so laggy that i can't even pyramid pq. Come on. Pyramid PQ. Sometime,the screen even freeze for a few secs! (2-3 secs actually) Long enought to make you die at dangerous places! (My sister died around 8 times in a row because of that, especially on a evan,since you don't have a good magic guard,unless you buy it )

*Noob/Newbs: Make the difference, a noob is normally a high leveled person who acts like a newbie. Or someone really bad.Newbs are new players, a short for NEWbies.

**About Evan Mastery books: i am not sure if they have the dropable out yet. I just know someone checked the files and found dropables versions of it. Probably a future implant, but im not sure. Just ignore this.

Sure there are more points. But that is overall it. Wew. That was long. Love or hate, i was just using my opinion.