Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO vs WOW on Class Build

I supposed many people do not like to see the comparison between WOW and LOTRO. But herewith I'd like to make a small part compare in Class Build. For me, I think lotro don't even have class build because every class is actually build on the same ground of various virtues.

The damage all based on might, and critical based on agility. The training skills are what they supposed to be, melee and range are a little bit clear to build up. But casters are poor because if you want to deal more damages, you still required to have higher might and higher agility.

The expansion have make many things lose the functions because many things still being capped, not just virtue capped at level 10, but many other stats also capped. The Captain has nice buff to add +50 might ...etc. But the might is capped at 600 so evn if you have higher might you won't benefit from the buff as well as the food.

The huge difference of class build between WOW and lotro are casters. Priest in WOW are much better and diversified. They are not stoopid healer like Minstrel just spam mana. You can choose shadow priest to deal considerable damages as well, but in LOTRO, if you want to deal more damage, the only way is equiped any armors, virtues increase your might and agility. Ballad never meant to be damages, they are buffs.

Then if Minstrel going to play as a healer, you will know it is the most trouble class to change virtues and all the equipments.

It's not fair to compare the two games because LOTRO don't even have class build.

Comments

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

Lol what? are you serious you say might is what determines dmg i deal when i use my rk or hunter?

Are you sure you tried lotro or are you jsut another wow fanboy that cries every night hugging his pillow because the last wow addon was just a con?

I dont see any lms with might and agi builds but since you seem to know so much about lotro i'll ask around.

Check out the stats of a captain and the stats of a warden not at all the same stuff.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Larry2298

It's not fair to compare the two games because LOTRO don't even have class build.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Hrm, then why are you trying too with this stupid debate; really who fricken cares, cause I don't. 

Both are very different games and the way you build your class in each are entirely different....

• cbeaglecbeagle Member Posts: 45

If they decided to make lotro anything like wow, I would find the closest sharp object and kill myself with it. F**k wow!

• OrderoOrdero Member Posts: 86

if you want to deal more damage, the only way is equiped any armors, virtues increase your might and agility. Ballad never meant to be damages, they are buffs.

Say what? I do plenry of damage with my ballads when I'm out soloing thank you, especially now with my first Legendary Weapon  that happens to have an increase in both tier 1 and tier 2 ballad damage plus also Anthem Damage; all in all I'd say might and agility play a very minor part in how effective I am as a minstrel.

Anyhow, with this Legendary Weapon (a dagger actually, currently at lvl 19) equipped I'm a lean, mean singing killing machine, been soloing most of Eregion by myself, rarely dying, Summoning the Half-Orc Elites with several thousand hitpoints is no problem doing solo for a minstrel, i think the only thing I've needed more than one person for so far was "Leader of the Foul Woods" hehe :)

And that's a minstrel equipped in one set of light armour btw (no fancy Rift Gear either I should add, I've never raided), no need to keep a change of medium armor around, I did that for a while then realized it wasn't needed, better use that Medium Armor trait slot for some other useful stuff, like an even bigger increase in ballad damage for example :)

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Why would you start a topic like this if you don't know what you are talking about? Much less blabber on for nearly six paragraphs.  This is a pretty piss poor attempt at trolling.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215

The fact that no matter what class you are, all attributes are important (might, fate, will, vitality, agility) is a huge step towards customization used in Dungeons and Dragons (which is as we know, top of the peak) There's nothing more that needs to be said.

• BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806

I supposed many people do not like to see the comparison between WOW and LOTRO. But herewith I'd like to make a small part compare in Class Build. For me, I think lotro don't even have class build because every class is actually build on the same ground of various virtues.
    The damage all based on might, and critical based on agility. The training skills are what they supposed to be, melee and range are a little bit clear to build up. But casters are poor because if you want to deal more damages, you still required to have higher might and higher agility.
    The expansion have make many things lose the functions because many things still being capped, not just virtue capped at level 10, but many other stats also capped. The Captain has nice buff to add +50 might ...etc. But the might is capped at 600 so evn if you have higher might you won't benefit from the buff as well as the food.
    The huge difference of class build between WOW and lotro are casters. Priest in WOW are much better and diversified. They are not stoopid healer like Minstrel just spam mana. You can choose shadow priest to deal considerable damages as well, but in LOTRO, if you want to deal more damage, the only way is equiped any armors, virtues increase your might and agility. Ballad never meant to be damages, they are buffs.
    Then if Minstrel going to play as a healer, you will know it is the most trouble class to change virtues and all the equipments.

MIGHT: Melee damage, Common damage mitigation, effects block chance with shields and your Parry chance.

AGILITY: Increases Evade and Parry chance, increases critical chance with ranged and melee attacks, inceases damage with ranged weapons & reduces miss chance.

VITALITY: Increases Maximum Morale, morale regeneration out of combat, resistance to wound/disease/poison, & reduces damage from shadow/frost/acid/lightning/fire sources.

WILL: Increases maximum Power, power regeneration out of combat & increases resitances vs fear effects.

FATE: Increases in-combat morale/power regeneration, increases chance & magnitude of critical for tactical based skills.

Now, with this knownledge, do you see how your post is flawed and untrue from 1st to last paragraph?

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

You know the difference between lotro and wow?

In WOW, there are other stats to increase the damages which are based on non-melee casters, but in lotro. there is only might and agility to increase the damage base. 

You only have something to increase the critical hit damages and critical hit chances. But in WOW, critical hit is not the only option.

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Okay...so what is your point OP?  What is the point of your post?   You come here just to bash LotRO, you must think something highly of it to take the time to bash.   Are you feeling threatened because of LotRO's growing player base.  Stick to your WoW forums and we'll stick to ours.

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

In lotro there isnt any stats that increases tactical damage, thats correct. A fireball will do the same amout of damage no matter how strong willed you are, or how much fate you have, but you can raise you tactical damage up 45% with class traits - which is lotro's way of handling class builds.

But that was beside my point. My point was your OP was so filled with missinformation and lies, it should either been delete or editied.

You could change it something like this: "In my opinion, Lotro doesnt have a class build because, there is no stat that increases your initial tactical damage." Now, doesnt that sound abit silly?

• GaryMGaryM Member Posts: 244
    Originally posted by cbeagle

If they decided to make lotro anything like wow, I would find the closest sharp object and kill myself with it. F**k wow!

/signed

• ToladinToladin Member Posts: 94

Honest question here - I am a LOTRO Vet - but have very little experience with casting classes (LM / RK)  Are you saying traits that give + x% Tactical Damage increases the damage spells do? 

Is this the only way to increase spell damage? If there is a way?  Also do these + x% Tactical Damage also increase meele damage?

I guess the crux of the question is... what exactly is tactical damage?

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Traits, potions, foods, equpment, stats, buffs, Dread...all contribute to output.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Toladin

Honest question here - I am a LOTRO Vet - but have very little experience with casting classes (LM / RK)  Are you saying traits that give + x% Tactical Damage increases the damage spells do? 
    Is this the only way to increase spell damage? If there is a way?  Also do these + x% Tactical Damage also increase meele damage?
    I guess the crux of the question is... what exactly is tactical damage?

Many classes have some tactical skill that do damage - like, all captain's screams are tactical damage based skills. These skill are not affected by stats and have a already set damage, like, Routing Cry does 250 light damage, while a normal (ranged or melee) skill will show: melee weapon + 60 damage.

While stats don’t raise the initial tactical damage, FATE do raise the magnitude of, and chance of inflicting a critical, hence raising your dps with tactical skills indirectly.

Class traits increase tactical damage, legendary weapons and some legendary traits - Like a Lore Master with four traits in Master of the Nature's Fury path will recieve a bonus of +15% tactial damage to all tactical skills, +25% to his storm lore damage, and +45% to his fire based tactical skills. Example: If Burning Embers initial damage is 250 fire damage at level 50, the same skill will have an initial damage of 412 in full Natures Fury path. (using fictional number)

So to answer your questions;

1. Do traits with tactical damage bonus raise spell damge? Yes.

2. DO +X% tactical also increase melee damage? No.

3. What excactly is tactical damage? see above.

Hope this mess helped

• ToladinToladin Member Posts: 94

Thank you !  That certainly does help - now I guess I just need to check my own skills and abilities to see which are tactical based ! 

Great explanation 

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

It makes hell alot differences without class path to build up your character in a clear and fun direction. The game supposed every class is doing melee, therefore, the only the might will increase damage.  

Although there are some other to increase damages, but there are add-on, add-on is not fundamental base, they are floating and will be changed.

While the mobs in Moria deals much heavier damages, the minstrel tiny mana pool and the healing ability still sux because lack of clear class build, there are plenty add-ons, for example, LM can transfer mana (power) but if there is no LM presence, the minstrel is too often goes OOM.

The more I play Minstrel the more makes me think about the fun time played Priest in WOW. There are many stuffs with +3 mana regeneration things like that. But in LOTRO, the in-combat power are really poor compare with WOW. In WOW, the boss fight took very long time, all healers are out of mana but based on their build, they could regenerate slowly back with some mana. In lotro, if LM is dead or not in the group, it only depends on your FS. Chance to trigger FS is doomed then the group is doomed. 

And now, every class able to heal themselves, LM, Champion, Guardian, Burglar, Rune Keeper, this is the game, everyone doing melee damage and everyone healing themselves because no specific class build.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

This is hilarious.  OP makes a post thats ends with him saying it's not fair to compare WoW and LOTRO.  GREAT JOB OP!!!

It makes hell alot differences without class path to build up your character in a clear and fun direction. The game supposed every class is doing melee, therefore, the only the might will increase damage.  

False.

A hunter's damage is purely based on his agility.

And listen mate..Even though Fate does not raise your initial tactical damge, it still raises your dps with spells. Because; higher fate will raise your critical chance and raise the damage of you criticals, same goes for your heals as a ministrel - higher chance to crit with heals, and heals crit for a larger number. So in essence, Fate DO raise you spell damage and healing magnitude, just in a more indirectly way.

Although there are some other to increase damages, but there are add-on, add-on is not fundamental base, they are floating and will be changed.

Dont know what you mean here, sorry.

While the mobs in Moria deals much heavier damages, the minstrel tiny mana pool and the healing ability still sux because lack of clear class build, there are plenty add-ons, for example, LM can transfer mana (power) but if there is no LM presence, the minstrel is too often goes OOM.

The more I play Minstrel the more makes me think about the fun time played Priest in WOW. There are many stuffs with +3 mana regeneration things like that. But in LOTRO, the in-combat power are really poor compare with WOW. In WOW, the boss fight took very long time, all healers are out of mana but based on their build, they could regenerate slowly back with some mana. In lotro, if LM is dead or not in the group, it only depends on your FS. Chance to trigger FS is doomed then the group is doomed. 

Power management highly depends on the player. I have seen ministrels drain their power pool faster than a Runekeeper's morale dropping while taking aggro, while others, maintain their power through the whole battle.

I, and probably many more, couldnt care less how lotro is compared to WoW. Lotro is Lotro, deal with it or move on.

And now, every class able to heal themselves, LM, Champion, Guardian, Burglar, Rune Keeper, this is the game, everyone doing melee damage and everyone healing themselves because no specific class build.

These classes have always had their minor healing abilites, save the Rune Keeper.... /irony on (why Rune Keepers have healing abilites as a healer class, beats me  ) /irony off

On the other hand, I for one, would embrace a more hybrid class system where there is no absolute needed class, but thats me.