Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vangaurd? should i go back?

hey im an old kinda sucky vangaurd player i played for about a week.... and gave it up, but i liked the game never really gave it a chance, and i have been hearing alot about how they made it better so should i go back? i would like to hear people opinions on this game thank you !!!!

Comments

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Download the trial.  Play the trial.  Decide for yourself.

• spinach8puffspinach8puff Member CommonPosts: 864

Check out these threads: why NOT to bother with VG or Returner Review: Weaknesses/Strengths & Opportunities/Threats

When you know what game you're interested in I suggest checking out threads in their specific forum instead of asking people to repeat themselves.

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

Download the trial and form an opinion for yourself.

VG requires a fairly good PC so make sure you have an NVidia 7800 at least and 1 gb or memory minimum.

There are lots of positive and negative opinions on this forum, most of the negatives are more personal game preferences than actual issues with VG.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• FarandirFarandir Member UncommonPosts: 111

Yup, try it first and make up your mind later. I tried the new free trial isle(wich is also available for subscribers) and then subscribe as soon as I completed it, I have no regrets yet.

Imo, I i'm falling in love with this game. I've played several mmo's(SWG, WoW, LotrO and AoC) and only WoW "sucked me in" until I got sick of it, and i've missed that feeling ever since, but now it seems as i've found it again.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Yes.. Come back to the Dark side of the Server.. wait that dosent work.. If your On Seradon Ill see you online :)

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

yes

• drag9999drag9999 Member Posts: 252

Simply put, yes. Devs have fixed A LOT of the bugs and the game community is growing. Like everyone else said, download the trial and decide for yourself.

• ougaritougarit Member Posts: 317

Growing in IOD  (all people are  in IOD) and thanx to free month given by SOE. (> end of jan 2009...) to all old accounts closed since 60 days...so community seems actually growing, like in dec 2007...

Areas always empty in the world. Just stopped YESTERDAY.. Was completely alone and tried to play in Thestra, Kojan and so on... alone, unplayable. Same than 2007 and 2008. If you 're searching for an EQ like take EQ2 (it's not my cup of tea because of loadings but its works fine, well optimized, living and has a new addon)

forget VG (FB are the same, few people always in the game since release, honest but naive)

2 years to convince, it failed. I'm sorry but it's over now

(even I thought in 2007 this could be my MMO for years)

Tried many times VG, had a serious potential, great features , huge universe but it failed BECAUSE this game needs more than 10 devs to save it from disaster.  It's a shame but we can't do nothing for VG. 

Tried to play PVP on Sartok; it's a ghost world. Forget Sartok.

Played on Halgar, same exp than VG players in Seradon. Cities are ghost towns. You try to play alone but VG is unplayable alone, because group based. You'll be blocked at levl 25/30 if you can reach the lvel 30 alone (could'nt even I tried many times) so found it boring to die/corpse run 10/20 times without ending a single  quest at "my " level. Stopped. Alone in VG you can't play: you can't explore dungeons, no craft (you can't create a house/boat alone) , you'll only have to kill 250 times the same mob etc. (I'm not a soloist but you're alone in this game, maybe you could find 1 or 2 people in the same area... but not enough to play)

I suggest you to play another game.

Stopped yesterday with a last fly with Randolph.

Last fly in VG.

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927

The creation, inception, and execution of Vangard was the worst form of fleecing the gaming community ever perpetrated.

Anyone who plays Vanguard is promoting mediocrity, lies, and outright theft [of players money].

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• HardcoreHeroHardcoreHero Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by spinach8puff

Check out these threads: why NOT to bother with VG or Returner Review: Weaknesses/Strengths & Opportunities/Threats
    When you know what game you're interested in I suggest checking out threads in their specific forum instead of asking people to repeat themselves.

Wow...  does food taste better up there in your ivory tower? 

-------------------------------------------------------------

"I have no idea what''s going on." - Tasos Flambouras

• jposavatzjposavatz Member Posts: 161

I've come back to Vanguard many times, and each time I'm left with the same impression:

1. Bugs are indeed getting fixed, and the game is more stable
    2. Performance still is sub-optimal... I have a pretty fast gaming rig, one which I can max all of the visual settings on every MMO I've tried, and for whatever reason I can still only play VG on "balanced" and get a decent frame rate.
    3. Hitching at the "chunk lines" still exists, and is very distracting.  It drives me nuts.
    4. Most importantly, the world feels empty of players.  Perhaps this is due to the vast openness of the game, but I expect cities to have people walking around in them.  Every time I visit a city, it's a ghost town.  Sure, people are out questing/grinding (just like in every other game), but in other MMO's despite this, I still always find people at the various "hubs"... not so in VG.

Of course these are all just my observations on one particulr server (Seradon) and might not be truly indicative of the game play.  As others have suggested, I recommend you download the free trial and make up your mind (once you're past level 10 and can get off of the "newbie island").

Originally posted by ougarit

Growing in IOD  (all people are  in IOD) and thanx to free month given by SOE. (> end of jan 2009...) to all old accounts closed since 60 days...so community seems actually growing, like in dec 2007...
    Areas always empty in the world. Just stopped YESTERDAY.. Was completely alone and tried to play in Thestra, Kojan and so on... alone, unplayable. Same than 2007 and 2008. If you 're searching for an EQ like take EQ2 (it's not my cup of tea because of loadings but its works fine, well optimized, living and has a new addon)
    forget VG (FB are the same, few people always in the game since release, honest but naive)
    2 years to convince, it failed. I'm sorry but it's over now

(even I thought in 2007 this could be my MMO for years)
    Tried many times VG, had a serious potential, great features , huge universe but it failed BECAUSE this game needs more than 10 devs to save it from disaster.  It's a shame but we can't do nothing for VG. 

Tried to play PVP on Sartok; it's a ghost world. Forget Sartok.
    Played on Halgar, same exp than VG players in Seradon. Cities are ghost towns. You try to play alone but VG is unplayable alone, because group based. You'll be blocked at levl 25/30 if you can reach the lvel 30 alone (could'nt even I tried many times) so found it boring to die/corpse run 10/20 times without ending a single  quest at "my " level. Stopped. Alone in VG you can't play: you can't explore dungeons, no craft (you can't create a house/boat alone) , you'll only have to kill 250 times the same mob etc. (I'm not a soloist but you're alone in this game, maybe you could find 1 or 2 people in the same area... but not enough to play)
    I suggest you to play another game.

Stopped yesterday with a last fly with Randolph.

Last fly in VG.

Wow, we are apparanetly NOT playing the same game. On Halgar, ine the lvl 20-30 areas there are lots of people(my first and subscribed, not returned, character is currently lvl 23), the other night I did the Hunters League quests with a group(Yes! a group, odd isn't it if there aren't any people there and if it's a ghost world, isn't it?) and guess what, on skawla(?) rock, my group met ANOTHER group doing the same quest-line. Yes, people, you read me right. Wow, i must have hallucinated all these people and the same with the region-chat were people chat constantly. No offense, but we are definately NOT playing the same game here. And yes, the game is solo-able as well, since(from my own experience) I've only seen like 20-30% if not less of the quests lvl 1-23 yet, and that's just the starter quests, there are so many quests out there that you'll have a hard time making up your mind of where to go instead of the other way around in some other more succesful, mainstream games out there.

And what is corpse run(yes I know the term from another more popular, more mainstream game)? There's no corpse run in VG. A tombstone shows up where you died with all the gear and xp you lost from dying(yes dying hurts in this game and makes you even more careful and more tactical-minded before you lounge yourself into a fight), wich you get back as soon as you find your tombstone and click on it. Gear and xp back in a sec!

Hm, no craft? Right...that's why AH(stock exchange) is filled with player made items...just log onto the game and have a look for yourself, oh by the way, make sure you visit a city while you do it so you can mingle there with the other buyers/sellers there. Yup, ghosts. And yes, crafting is also solo-able. Only trouble is, you have to spend time crafting items, wich isn't really a problem at all, depending on how you look at it.

And guess what? Vanguard has a fully functional forum, why don't you check it out? Might change your mind about the population and the state of the game. forums.station.sony.com/vg/forums/list.m

I'm sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but comments like these more or less pisses me off, since their sole purpose is to "scare people" away from Vanguard just because they didn't like the game.

If you don't like the game, FINE, but please, and i'm sorry if you had a bad experience, but there is no need to spread incorrect facts about it. I play the game, and I pay for it, so does several other newbies I know ingame.

• SweatersSweaters Member Posts: 4

Ougarit

You were on the wrong game bud i just came back from a break in october and i have for one have seen people everywhere i go i allways get grps when i want to and i even soloed(warrior) most of my 30's so i am unclear as to the basis for your post.....

Sturm

Dude you need to keep your mouth shut insulting me for paying to play a game i love is why people are allways at war opinions are for you i dont care one bit what you have to say about a game but Insulting People just makes you look like an IGNORANT BUM i give money to standing on a corner................................

On a Positive Note Seridon (speling sucks)

Is very well populated and very freindly i would recommend giveing the game a try and ignoring everyones posts untill you can decifer for yourself

A lot of people in Halgar... OMG 

Imo you subscribed to Wotlk take a look at your bank account.

I was connected yesterday. No one (kojan EMPTY Thestra EMPTY  even NT with events was EMPTY. I was ALONE in the CITY, Tursh EMPTY etc etc etc Etc)

Had to create another char to see people

WHERE ?

In Isle of Dawn

All fanboys are the same. Everywhere.

Vg is a FULL SUCCESS 50 servers,  a SUCCESS.

LOL...

-------------------------------------------

I am a hater ?

LOL (so funny)

Not a hater ... an "ancient supporter" of VG.

A  member of Community staff / VG if you prefer

(rofl sorry for ya)

GG to you 

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by ougarit

A lot of people in Halgar... OMG 
    Imo you subscribed to Wotlk take a look at your bank account.
    I was connected yesterday. No one (kojan EMPTY Thestra EMPTY  even NT with events was EMPTY. I was ALONE in the CITY, Tursh EMPTY etc etc etc Etc)
    Had to create another char to see people
    WHERE ?

In Isle of Dawn
    All fanboys are the same. Everywhere.

Vg is a FULL SUCCESS 50 servers,  a SUCCESS.
    LOL...

-------------------------------------------
    I am a hater ?
    LOL (so funny)
    Not a hater ... an "ancient supporter" of VG.
    A  member of Community staff / VG if you prefer
     (rofl sorry for ya)
    GG to you 

Lol you clearly arnt playing the game so stop posting...

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702
    Originally posted by Farandir

If you don't like the game, FINE, but please, and i'm sorry if you had a bad experience, but there is no need to spread incorrect facts about it. I play the game, and I pay for it, so does several other newbies I know ingame.

I have to agree with Farandir. If you dont like it, please tell us why. But stick to what you have insteed of spreading information that is to no good. Im at mid level and guess what Ougarit- Ive no problems finding players to do quests with. Players that are new to this game like myself. Ive no problems finding funny things to create for other players with my proffesion and Ive really kind guild that has around 40 active players. 

If you have to compair VG with the mmo industry number one, I do can make an comprassion. The population isnt like wow with alot of servers that are filled with pepole, but to be honest I must say that the small community on my server beats the crap out of the gaming community that is wow. And believe me, Ive played my part of wow :) and its from my experince  an single player game till end game   And yeah- cities are ghost  towns becuse of VGs bad perforamnce in that areas.  Come and visit my guilds little settlement if you want to. Its nice and with friendly pepole.

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Yea, I don't think I would. I just tried the trial, to give it another shot (I had heard that so many good changes had taken place). I only had a chance to play at first for a minute or two, and I created a Druid just to play around.

Oddly enough, when I logged in later, I found that my Druid was a Cleric. No green robes. Armor. How strange that this happened.

Yea..stay away.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by Leodious

Oddly enough, when I logged in later, I found that my Druid was a Cleric. No green robes. Armor. How strange that this happened.

That's the same thing as saying you booted up your computer and instead of Windows, it was Linux.

I don't believe you.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Originally posted by darwa
    Originally posted by Leodious Oddly enough, when I logged in later, I found that my Druid was a Cleric. No green robes. Armor. How strange that this happened.

That's the same thing as saying you booted up your computer and instead of Windows, it was Linux.
    I don't believe you.

I don't care what you think; I was answering a question with my own experiences.

That said, it is NOTHING at all like booting a different OS. This is the server storing incorrect data, and does not involve adding many files to a system, as having a second OS would. This is their problem.

Also, I wasn't even the same race. I was a Wood Elf Druid, but I became a human something cleric.

In addition to that (as if it wasn't enough) I downloaded the trial, updated the files, and entered the game as my druid. I didn't do much before I logged out, and at the end of the same day, I logged back in. The Station Launcher made me update the entire game (I believe it had something to do with running the trial and not having all the files, and then it wanted all the files regardless) again before I could play.

I think it probably had something to do with my not staying in the game world for long enough, but I don't have much experience with how their data is stored.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• SholShol Member Posts: 361

I never experienced or heard anything like this before.

If you downloaded the trial it normally patches your files until everything is there for the newest trial version. There shouldnt be more downloads after that.

If you experience a later download it possibly means you either converted your trial account to a full sub or you logged into your old account (which starts the patcher patching the game to newest version). You can also have serveral toons with the same name on the different VG server.

You might want to check that out.

I don't believe you.

I don't care what you think; I was answering a question with my own experiences.

That said, it is NOTHING at all like booting a different OS. This is the server storing incorrect data, and does not involve adding many files to a system, as having a second OS would. This is their problem.

Also, I wasn't even the same race. I was a Wood Elf Druid, but I became a human something cleric.

In addition to that (as if it wasn't enough) I downloaded the trial, updated the files, and entered the game as my druid. I didn't do much before I logged out, and at the end of the same day, I logged back in. The Station Launcher made me update the entire game (I believe it had something to do with running the trial and not having all the files, and then it wanted all the files regardless) again before I could play.

I think it probably had something to do with my not staying in the game world for long enough, but I don't have much experience with how their data is stored.

I'm sorry, mate, but this is the first time i've ever heard about this. At first with your armour-thingie, I was about to inform you that all classes start with class-armour on Isle of Dawn, but then I read your second post and didn't really know what to think. I'll just agree with the post above me.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I don't believe you.

I do have such experience, and that's why I don't believe you.

• ketrineketrine Member Posts: 285

Real question is - why NOT go back?

This MMO is free for returning players during January 2009.

If you want to know the truth about the game - reinstall, DL, and play for free!

Thats enough fanboys  you try to convince people to pay for your game no more no less.

You can't trust me ?OK

So maybe you can trust ACTIVE SUBSCRIBERS POSTING ON OFFICIAL FORUMS OF VANGUARD

(Active accounts , jan 2009)

************************************************************************************

PASTE COPY From official forums posted by ACTIVE SUBSCRIBERS

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?&topic_id=43559

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?topic_id=43254

" While I would like to see new content, we need serious bug fixing first. There are lots of bugs which plague Vanguard at a moment. You cannot enjoy content if basic backbone systems like aggro malfunction. Also lots of content have been broken in last few months (like URT quest series and IoD temple).

As much as I like new content, I voted to fix bugs first.

Lag and hitching are still really bad almost everywhere.

Once I've been in a chunk for 2 minutes, or so, it gets better, but it often takes me almost 5 minutes to get from the rift stone to the bank in Khal because of the hitching.

There are still bugs, broken quests, and graphics glitches all over the place.

Annoying things like the difficulty in going up stairs should have been fixed ages ago.

Bugs, bugs and more bugs! With bugs I'm lumping in stability and performance too. It would be nice to not crash in a game that's been out for almost 2 years. It really doesn't look good to new players. That and some basic bugs being fixed would really bring more people in.

I would like to see- after PoTA is out and things that go along with it- unless its being delayed a good while, then these first:

Bug fixes, the game is nearly as buggy again as it was in 2007. Performance is lower again as well, I go anywhere near any sort of village/city and my framerate plummets.

If I can only choose one it has to be bug fixes and better performance. I want new content as much as anyone, but when there are so many bugs, memory leaks, extreme hitching rubberbanding etc. new content could not be enjoyed fully.

I happen to love playing Vanguard warts and all. This is the game I want to play, but it needs a stronger foundation to build on so that others will love it also.

Thanks for the Poll

I so wanted to tick the small adventuring group or the non-adventuring content.

BUT those can wait until we have old bugs fixed. I want to able to cross a chunk again without crashing to char select etc. Adding new content just adds the amount of bugs. So if we leave the old ones there....

OK, so PotA delayed again. No problem, since everyone knew this was gonna happen.

But you better make PotA rock BIGTIME!

If it's another SoD or BoD, then you can indeed say goodbye to your players.

My vote goes to bug and performance fixes ..On Monday i was in the game for a total of 5 minutes and had to" /flush all" 3 times and CTD's are back for me ...

Why would you add anything new when the game is plagued with bugs dating back to the launch? You do know what the biggest complaint from new users is? Oh and just because some of use are very familiar with /petition and waiting to finish content, doesnt mean its any less frustrating. If Vanguard ran as smooth as some of its competition it would be so much more successful. Isnt that what we all want?

Etc etc etc you'll find plenty of those posts on OFFICIAL FORUMS.

only ACTIVE ACCOUNTS can Post on these FORUMS (I HAVE an active account and VOTED for Non  Adventuring Content

That's all :  "Hitching and graphics lag is back where it was a year ago"

Agree with this post. Tchat buggy pet buggy as it was in 2007. VG worked better in 2008

Take a look so many posts :

forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m

and another one very important.

OFFICIAL SOE /VG FORUMS 

ACTIVE ACCOUNTS (Are VG active players VG haters ? )

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

What you expect? I have been trying to come back to Vanguard so many times now (lost count) and kept running into the same old bugs over and over and over again.

This game will never be fixed. Period!

The game was developed by amateurs and they will need to completely re-engineer the whole codebase (read redevelop the game from the ground up) to be able to fix it.

And with the little resources The Smed is willing to assign to this game, then the above is never going to happen. It's going to take forever!

The fact, that with just one patch they have undone over a year of hard work, says enough how bad the code in this game is!

It's a shame really. As the setting is nice. The world looks great. The quests were pretty okay (altho nothing inovative). The open dungeon design is great. Crafting is very deep.

But all these positives are undone by all the bugs and performance issues that plague this game since release.

The only thing SOE is going to do is add more content, to keep the current playerbase satisfied so they keep paying their monthly subs.

The Isle of Dawn idea was great. But due to horrible performance and bugs it just turns off the new players like the game already did with the old buggy starter areas.

So they just going to milk out the current playerbase they have by adding new content and leave fixing old bugs were it is... unfixed!

Why? Because it's much easier and a hell lot cheaper to add new content, then actually trying to fix this game from the ground up.

The sooner people accept this fact. The better it will be for their own good and health.

Cheers