Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSP od DS Lite?

almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

My wife and I are planning to get a handheld gaming system and I'm unsure which one I should get. The wife is getting a DS lite, the pink one of course, but I'm just not sure which I'd prefer.

I know the PSP has better graphics and the price is a bit higher, but are the games more geared to males and/or adults. It does seem this way but since the DS still has more games, is it true?

Thanks in advance.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Comments

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

If she is getting a DS, then you should get a DS as well, then you can share games...among other benefits of conectivity.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• JustTalkingJustTalking Member CommonPosts: 206

I guess it would have to rely largely on the games you want to play.

want some Castlevania:SoTN? get a PSP

Want some Chrono Trigger? DS

Or get both systems

So, yeah...what games can you really get into and go from there.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

I'd check on what games you and your wife would like to play together over the DS first. All "Download Play" games means only one of you actually need the game cartridge while the other downloads the necessary data.

'nother consideration would be whether or not you have a Wii or PS3. Both the DS and PSP have different forms of connectivity with 'em.

Last but not least, the actual kind of games you want to play in the first place. For me I've used both for a lot of JRPGs, one central thing they have in common. After that it seems DS' forte is a lot of games with inventive forms of play due to dual-screens. But with PSP you have hallmarks like the God of War that was pretty graphically decent.

Neither system sucks, I'd say its more about "which to get first" if you wanted to do yourself a real justice. If a goal is to game with your lady though, then obviously get a DS first.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

I would say PSP, becuase I like my PSP more than my DS (Don't get me wrong I enjoy my DS too) and I also develop stuff for the PSP (link in my sig). I would say get the DS, because your wife is. You two can buy a game that is 2 players like Final Fantasy Tactics or Pokemon and it will make so much better bonding with discussion and playing together.

I can see you two right now talking about trading pokemon and battling. Me and my sister have a DS and Pokemon. So we always got a new story, new pokemon and new things to give each other. So if she gets the DS, I would say by default you should so yall could play togther. You can get a PSP later.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Hmmm.

DS = $30 cartridge lets me download and play every DS game available ( along with supernintendo games ), play movies and music. Can also be used a VOIP phone and to browse the internet.

PSP = gotta flash the software, hope you don't brick it. Only thing it has over DS is PSP can be connected to a tv. Also WAY over-priced.

I chose the DS for my daughter and myself.

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

Thank you all for all your posts

It's a tough choice but I think one of the things I need to do is look at the game lists for both. I do have a friend that has the PSP and has 8 games to hand me to play. Although if the DS has the option to do 2 players that could be fun with my wife. We don't have the Wii or PS3 but if we did get one it'd be the Wii.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

If you don't have to have them now the DSI will be coming out this summer.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

I love PSP man I really do, but it's your wife that I'm thinking about. Do you know how many favors (of any kind) she could do for you if she wanted a damn pokemon. But the PSP is some realy nice hardware man. I can see why your having such a tough choice, I am right now picking for you. I think that what makes a relationship more fun is to do things together and get things together. So in my personal opinion I would get a DS if I was in your position. Just so I could bond more with my wife and we can have fun together when we are on handhelds.

|

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658

I apprieciate all the advice.I know a lot of ppl said get the DS since the wife is, so I am going to get... *drumroll*... the PSP

If my wife and I didn't do just about everything together, including playing mmo's together (I scored there) I most likely would have got the DS. It mainly came down to the game titles that finally swayed me and yes the graphics. I also liked some of the hardware as well, even though the DS seemed to share some of the things I liked.

Besides if i like the wife's DS that much I'll wait for the DSi

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Great choice my friend. I have a lot of games and stuff so I can recommend you to some titles. Also when you get that internet hooked up on it download some award winning flash games I made on maverickforce.com and try the browser mmo i made for the PSP. I haven't been doing much lately with the site though, but I'm still down with the community.

|

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I personally would suggest a DS over a PSP. I always felt that the PSP was a dumbed down version of the Playstation 2, just portable and with extra media features.

The PSP has some great games but every game that interests me, I can't help but think how much better it would be if it was just released on the Playstation 2 instead. Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops,Clank, Daxter, Syphon Filter those are all games that i think would be much better on a Playstation 2. I always felt that the PSP is just another home console, when you ignore its media features.

Thats not to say that the PSP bad, not at all, but it just doesn't deliver the games I expect from a handheld system

on the other hand, the DS has some great games that I think are much more suitable for a hand held. 2 Advance Wars games, Fire Emblem: Shadow of the Dragon, Castlevania: Order of Ecclessia, Contra 4, Mario Kart DS,, New Super Mario Bros, Sonic Rush 1 and 2 and my personal favorite: The World Ends With You, and gosh, so many more.

The DS is the very first handheld system I have actually enjoyed just as much as I enjoy my home consoles and PC. on the previous handheld systems I owned I usually just play the pokemon games and..thats pretty much it.

Ofcourse the DS also has its fair share of games that are more suitable in a home environment but are still fun to play. Final Fantasy 3 and 4 remakes, Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Quest IX, Chrono Trigger

so yeah. I suggest a DS although you probably won't regret getting a PSP either.

• JordwJordw Member Posts: 9

I'd probably go for the DS...I havn't owned a handheld since the gameboy, it just isn't the same :(

• impaktoimpakto Member Posts: 314

id go for psp... i think i like psp games more...

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167
    Originally posted by Jordw

I havn't owned a handheld since the gameboy, it just isn't the same :(

Same here :(

?

• BlazzBlazz Member Posts: 321

psp has games that should probably have been on a PS2, or PS3.

they aren't really very good "I'm going to go out and play this while I'm at it" games, because you need to concentrate.

With that said, the DS also has games of concentration, but when you close the lid, you essentially put the machine on standby, for many of the RPGish games (Zelda, for example)

I generally find the DS more enjoyable, due to it's good amount of partyish games, like Super Mario Kart DS. I had the best time with that game and three friends and four DS's between us. One cartraige.

I am playing EVE and it's alright... level V skills are a bit much.

You all need to learn to spell.

• zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926

don't forget the used game section for psp at game stop When ds was in the sandbox i sent him a psp game every other week. There was many to choose from. Oh from time to time target has a few on clearnace special as well

• XemousXemous Member Posts: 255

Psp is much better for customization and featues.  Endless homebrew and goodies turn it into a mini pc.   

One of my friends hooked it up to turn on/off/dim the lights in his room

• MuraisMurais Member UncommonPosts: 1,118

I own both. I consider the PSP the biggest waste of money in my videogaming career. Get the DS, you won't regret it.

• icyrascalicyrascal Member Posts: 6

I'd go for the psp.  I like the games there better.

• SlappanSlappan Member Posts: 289

The psp is certainly more powerful, but in terms of a pure casual gaming handheld system, I'd prefer the DS.

• gamabunta321gamabunta321 Member Posts: 6

I choose the PSP because it has Tekken :)