Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

tabula rasa is now free to play annouced today.

Comments

• tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762

If you're a new player who has never tried Tabula Rasa, you can get a Tabula Rasa Serial Code by visiting our Support siteand submitting a request for a new code. Use that code at www.plaync.com to create a new account! 

You'll need to activate your new account with a credit card number, but don't worry - that's just so we know who you are. We willnot charge your card for Tabula Rasa gameplay.

I trust them and all, but just posting this up for people who don't like this type of system.

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
    MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
    http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Is the game being shutdown still?

Or are the Devs trying the F2p thing to see if the game could survive as that type of mmo?

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• Devildog1Devildog1 Member Posts: 494

As far as I know it's still going down in February.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    Originally posted by tigris67

If you're a new player who has never tried Tabula Rasa, you can get a Tabula Rasa Serial Code by visiting our Support siteand submitting a request for a new code. Use that code at www.plaync.com to create a new account! 

You'll need to activate your new account with a credit card number, but don't worry - that's just so we know who you are. We willnot charge your card for Tabula Rasa gameplay.

I trust them and all, but just posting this up for people who don't like this type of system.

Use an expired card, it passes their auto-validators, or used to anyway. I've been using that on trials for years.

Just stick in the number and change the expiration date to something in the future.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Tabula Rasa...clean slate of nothingnes.  Figures.

• AhilesAhiles Member Posts: 414

After wasting over $60 million on making the game, they are shutting it down in February and making it f2p in the mean time. So much for that wow killer. What a total waste of money. This game was emant to be Ncsoft next big game, and after all the hype this is what it has become, this wasn't even a 2nd rate attempt, this game had millions of $$$$ thrown at it, with a huge development team. So much for the theory money, time and a name guarantees success.

• slask777slask777 Member Posts: 706

Haven't logged my account with these guys in a long time. Gonna check the game out though, if only to pass some time. Trialed it when it was new and wasn't overly impressed with it. Maybe it gotten changed for the better, or most likely not, as they gonna close it down and all.

{ Mod Edit }

---
    Grammar nazi's. This one is for you.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

He blew it no bettwe or worse than the developers of WAR or AoC.  Their content stunk, their game-play is bland, repetitive and not replayable, and it's all just plain boring.

Well...that coming from me, a hybrid pve/pvp enthusiast...no one is getting it right and grinding raids with WAR or WoW just to scratch that dynamic pvp itch...the thought of it makes my head hurt. Their PvP is boring.

• xenoclixxenoclix Member UncommonPosts: 298

just wondering, why would they shut the game down? 

i dont know the politics of all this, but for people who brought the game (and for people selling it - retailers). Shutting down the game, making it unplayable, isnt that wrong though. Shouldnt they make it just F2P? Because i know according to the website, the subscriptions are still valid till 28th Feb.

For me it dosnt effect me that much because i stopped playing long ago, but i still brought the game first off and now having a copy of the game making it useless?

Alwell, sad, but it cant be helped.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Ahiles

they are shutting it down in February and making it f2p in the mean time.

correct

www.rgtr.com/news/latest_news/message_from_the_tabula_rasa_t.html

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by xenoclix

just wondering, why would they shut the game down? 

i dont know the politics of all this, but for people who brought the game (and for people selling it - retailers). Shutting down the game, making it unplayable, isnt that wrong though. Shouldnt they make it just F2P? Because i know according to the website, the subscriptions are still valid till 28th Feb.

For me it dosnt effect me that much because i stopped playing long ago, but i still brought the game first off and now having a copy of the game making it useless?

Alwell, sad, but it cant be helped.

I dont have any inside info either but my guess is that they are operating at such a loss that it is better just to shut it down.......Even if they went f2p to try and get more players they still have expenses they have to maintain and probably cant cover them........

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

Whats the point of letting new players in? I've never bought the game, but did a trial once. The game is ok, but why play for 2 months and then is ends? Doesn't make much sense to me.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• billiebillie Member UncommonPosts: 400

TR still requires a "serial code" to activate closed accounts.
    One TR news notice indicated it will NOT be ftp (Free To Play) until 10 Jan 2009.

From the manage the account
    http://www.plaync.com/us/account/
    to selecting account management
    https://secure.plaync.com/cgi-bin/accountManagement.pl
    then game accounts
    https://secure.plaync.com/cgi-bin/accountManagement.pl?action=gameAccounts

to activate the TR account one still needs a "serial code"
    otherwise the account remains 'Not playable'
    and thus trying to log in gets
    "Your account has run out of time. Please visit www.plaync.com/us/account/ for more information on reactivating this account. Ok"

edit
    The email request for key sent last week and CLOSED without sending a key, i went back into that closed petition and updated it requesting a serial key to TR (otherwise i would still be waiting for the followup email promised by support that would NEVER come, since they closed that initial support petition and did not followed up!)
    A GM responded to the updated serial code request email he would escilate the problem, later that day a different GM sent a 20 diget code that was accepted (in the plaync master account management section) to upgrade my beta account into a standard account.
    Was able to log in and see about four servers & a pts test server i think.

ALL they had to do was remove the serial code block. TR is no longer listed as an available game for direct download purchase, so no way to try and access the serial code problem that way. The support process requires one to make a second or third account (a plaync master account, a TR login account and a support account for problems).

TR was/is a fun shooter game. It is a shame it will be closing. It is worth the effort to get back in before the loss.
    A64x2 3800+, ati x1950pro 256MB, 95KB/s dsl (low end beta tester desktop)

• WardropWardrop Member Posts: 462

i activated my old closed account just fine.

I hit one button, and poof it was activated.

And i went and logged into the game.

Not sure what your deal is...

• CnuckCnuck Member UncommonPosts: 44

I would like to see if it works for me but the page doesnt load. :(

WoW is a disease that will infect your brain and your computer.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by purewitz

Whats the point of letting new players in? I've never bought the game, but did a trial once. The game is ok, but why play for 2 months and then is ends? Doesn't make much sense to me.

the 0.1% chance that they might keep the game if enough people say they would pay.

Plus it cant hurt. Not like the company is keeping the close a secret.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I got a code from support and I didn't need a credit card to activate it.

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008
    Originally posted by Ahiles

After wasting over $60 million on making the game, they are shutting it down in February and making it f2p in the mean time. So much for that wow killer. What a total waste of money. This game was emant to be Ncsoft next big game, and after all the hype this is what it has become, this wasn't even a 2nd rate attempt, this game had millions of $$$$ thrown at it, with a huge development team. So much for the theory money, time and a name guarantees success.

I have not heard of any theory that says money, time and name guarantees succcess.

• Ghost021Ghost021 Member Posts: 84

What a shame indeed, i was one of the first players in this game and i have to say i had a blast in it, the only thing that made me give up was the lack of content at lvl50 and believe me i had 1 sniper, 1 demo, 1 spy and another char at those lvls.

The ideia of having more people on the same battlefield as you and visiting different sets and planets, the whole concept of exploring under fire and trenches may not be new but it was darn well imagined in this game.

When i left i gave a couple of ideias like, invasions by the alien Npc's or even having minigames in the taverns of the player bases, like drinking contests or poker games ( afterall we roleplayed soldiers in a war ), the ideia of atacking ships and other kind of instalations was also given and would look appealing in a galactic wargame.

What a shame that RG and his crew blew what could have been, not the WoW killer , but a nice game for NC.

Oh well.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Ghost021

What a shame indeed, i was one of the first players in this game and i have to say i had a blast in it, the only thing that made me give up was the lack of content at lvl50 and believe me i had 1 sniper, 1 demo, 1 spy and another char at those lvls.
    The ideia of having more people on the same battlefield as you and visiting different sets and planets, the whole concept of exploring under fire and trenches may not be new but it was darn well imagined in this game.
    When i left i gave a couple of ideias like, invasions by the alien Npc's or even having minigames in the taverns of the player bases, like drinking contests or poker games ( afterall we roleplayed soldiers in a war ), the ideia of atacking ships and other kind of instalations was also given and would look appealing in a galactic wargame.
    What a shame that RG and his crew blew what could have been, not the WoW killer , but a nice game for NC.

Oh well.

Too bad they ignored all the good ideas.

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Did they really ignore all the good ideas or did they listen too closely to the majority of the players that did not want anything resembling a "raid", "epic gear" or any type of endgame.  I truly beleive the Devs did listen to the community in TR in many aspects, far more so than any other game Ive played, however I think they were listening to the wrong people.  And there was the downfall. 

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• Ghost021Ghost021 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Broomy

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Did they really ignore all the good ideas or did they listen too closely to the majority of the players that did not want anything resembling a "raid", "epic gear" or any type of endgame.  I truly beleive the Devs did listen to the community in TR in many aspects, far more so than any other game Ive played, however I think they were listening to the wrong people.  And there was the downfall. 

Yeh i recon, i am not a big fan of WoW, not a basher of the game , or any game anyways as i love gaming and do it for the sole purpose of having fun and meeting new people, but still the amount of effort people put into raids and "gear", a game is more than gear and raiding, this game had everything to be successfull, not just the gear, would be much more fun imo to loot the gear from foes or fallen allies, or even make custom made stuff.

The whole ideia of waging war in a jungle or accross a desert of some god forsaken planet, imagine the first game of Hitman and that whole jungle set but much wider ( and without the loadings lol ) add the freedom you had in TR to explore, custom guns, you could even have had a mission planner for setting up missions to the bases that were occupied by the Bane or , heck there was a world of stuff to do in that game.

It really is a bit sadening that most players resume stuff to raiding , instancing or epic gear, it kinda takes the fun out of a game.

Yeh i know i'm one of those lame oldschool players that still preaches doing it for the fun but give me starcraft or duke nukem anytime and i'll have months of fun just directing space marines or using the old DNCornholio and kicking the arse of the alien hogs.

Cheers to all the people that still play for the fun.

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by Ghost021

Yeh i recon, i am not a big fan of WoW, not a basher of the game , or any game anyways as i love gaming and do it for the sole purpose of having fun and meeting new people, but still the amount of effort people put into raids and "gear", a game is more than gear and raiding, this game had everything to be successfull, not just the gear, would be much more fun imo to loot the gear from foes or fallen allies, or even make custom made stuff.
    The whole ideia of waging war in a jungle or accross a desert of some god forsaken planet, imagine the first game of Hitman and that whole jungle set but much wider ( and without the loadings lol ) add the freedom you had in TR to explore, custom guns, you could even have had a mission planner for setting up missions to the bases that were occupied by the Bane or , heck there was a world of stuff to do in that game.
     It really is a bit sadening that most players resume stuff to raiding , instancing or epic gear, it kinda takes the fun out of a game.
    Yeh i know i'm one of those lame oldschool players that still preaches doing it for the fun but give me starcraft or duke nukem anytime and i'll have months of fun just directing space marines or using the old DNCornholio and kicking the arse of the alien hogs.
     Cheers to all the people that still play for the fun.

Play for the fun?  Who says raiding, gear and instances that are worth repeating, can't be fun?  The thing about having those elements in a game is that You Dont have to do them if you dont want to.  This is what some of us tried to tell the naysayers over and over again.  DOnt like it?  Dont do it.  Apparently that wasnt enough for them.  They had to make sure that it was NEVER implemented in the game so that the people that did want these aspects had no choice but to leave.  And we did.    The result was the games failure.   

And what exactly was this "World of stuff to do" in Tabula Rasa?  I think your alone or in a minority of this opinion, or else the game wouldn't be closing down.

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215

They could at least release a patch for everyone that bought the game (that has an account not a trial one), that will allow people to play it at least as a singleplayer game. The game has amazing atmosphere and I would love to play it from time to time even alone.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Broomy 
    Play for the fun?  Who says raiding, gear and instances that are worth repeating, can't be fun?  The thing about having those elements in a game is that You Dont have to do them if you dont want to.  This is what some of us tried to tell the naysayers over and over again.  DOnt like it?  Dont do it.  Apparently that wasnt enough for them.  They had to make sure that it was NEVER implemented in the game so that the people that did want these aspects had no choice but to leave.  And we did.    The result was the games failure.   
    And what exactly was this "World of stuff to do" in Tabula Rasa?  I think your alone or in a minority of this opinion, or else the game wouldn't be closing down.  

You seem to be missing the point here. People, particularly on this website, cry about every game being the same these days and none of them trying to be different. Then, when a company does try to be different and doesn't focus on raids, gear and instances, it ends up failing like Tabula Rasa. In other words, the players say they want something different, but in practise most of them actually do not.