Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did I miss something?

I tried the client, and I just dont see what all the hype is about?

Help me see the light, what did i miss after the tutorial that will keep me wanting more...

Comments

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

Atlantica feels overrated to me as well. A standard combat "novelty"with timers from the SNES days is relabled as "tactical" combat.

It's merely wowing the Maple Story playerbase, and thus the amazing ratings.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Yes, you missed a lot of things.  But important things?  Not necessarily.

Most companies try to hype their games somehow.  This one does it by having moderator posts stickied on the official forums saying to come to this site and vote the game high.  See, for example:

http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/center/ATForum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10272&posts=1&start=1 

And that's the point of the rating system on this site:  to get game makers to advertise this site.  It's not so much a way of evaluating whether games are actually any good or not.

This game isn't the only one that has moderator posts stickied on the official forums saying to come to this site and vote the game highly, of course.  But it is probably better than most of the games that do; big budget subscription games generally don't resort to that.  And it's also newer, so it doesn't have years of being voted down by fanboys of other games dragging it down.

Incidentally, the "new" factor is also why WAR is the other game in the top 2, often alternating with Atlantica.  It's why LotRO went way up with the release of Mines of Moria.  It's why Age of Conan was far and away #1 for a while, though as the novelty wore off, that game's rating tanked, even though by all accounts the game has gotten a lot better since launch.

• krunkenmonkkrunkenmonk Member Posts: 20

I'm glad to hear Im not alone, at least, I always try to give a fair chance to any game (esp. F2p games) and i must admit that i too have read many forums on game sites suggesting that ppl come here and rate the game high... i was hoping that ppl ignored those statements and gave fair ratings. in any case it seem to be a good way to find out about new games, although I'm a little concerned with the way games that aren't even out yet have moved up past games that are already in full release

Must be b/c the new games are looking/going to be that much better than current games on the market

how about if they split the ratings and kept the games in separate categories so the beta games had their own ratings list, and so forth, waddaya think?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

They do keep released and unreleased games in separate categories.  There are separate categories for "Released" (currently Atlantica and WAR on top, followed by LotRO, which is gaining) and "Development" (currently Darkfall on top, followed by Aion, Spellborn, and a crowd of other games that are essentially tied).

The problem is that no one has played more than a tiny handful of games enough to have an informed opinion on them.   That doesn't mean that you can't rate a bunch of games that you've never played, though.  Nor does it mean that you can't create a bunch of additional accounts to rate games you haven't played. 

• krunkenmonkkrunkenmonk Member Posts: 20

I C

so if i have this right... the whole rating list is mostly false and should not be used as a viable compairison

I'll just have to keep trying everything out on my own.

geesh, I was hopeing that list could save me some download time, but since i've been using it, ive downloaded more clients than ever and most games just dont seem to have what it takes to keep me interested.

I have high hopes for some of the games i've read about currently in development (aion, mortal, darkfall, ect)

i've played Age of Conan, WARhammer, many F2p.

are their any games IYO that stand out that I should give a try?

I recently logged back on to Tabula Rosa (it's free now) but i know that i can only play it for 2 months more, and it makes me sad

• impaktoimpakto Member Posts: 314

so far im contented with atlantica.. its free-to-play, and its interesting and appealing to me.. haha

a good game is in the eye of the gamer.. haha.. its all up to you if you' d like it haha

• denisfenixdenisfenix Member Posts: 30

Atlantica doesn't have a sudden impact on players. It works more like a "drug". Tasting it more and more, you'll finally find yourself addicted to its gameplay. It may seems not so tactical at a first glance but growing on skills and levels, you'll certainly notice that there are moves and countermoves to almost all of "strategies", used on pve or pvp.

It's like playing chess. There's no winner till the end, and everything can happen during a battle. For example, yesterday i did Free League (kinda pvp tournament) against a lv68 or so. And i'm 86, so i'm supposed to be stronger, because of better equips and prolly skill levels. But it happened that i missed one attack turn (damn'd keyboard misclicked  ) and i finally lost the match.

Trust me, in Atlantica there's more than meets the mere eye.

(....But it's not visible in the low levels )

P.S. I'm definitely not encouraging people to use drugs lol

• impaktoimpakto Member Posts: 314

haha i agre with denise.. haha

but why not do drugs>? haha just kidding.. just try it..

• andreweandrewe Member Posts: 3

yeah its true.. the game has a slow start but when you go through level 25 and up, it gets more exciting cause it is not all about quests anymore.. there are many things in the game that will make you not bored. this is so much different than those hack and slash MMORPGs out there..

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i am in the same boat with the op...being a HUGE FF fan i though i would really dig this game. Apparantly i am missing something as well :(