Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deciding if I want to play - few questions....

ketsumiFFSketsumiFFS Member Posts: 24

Hello everyone...

I have come to the conclusion that after years of playing Guild Wars, getting high ranked and this and that, and same with getting r13 in WoW before first expansion...that those games suck...

I enjoy PvP thouroughly, and from the information I have read on Eve and its PvP / the videos I have watched, it seems very fun / epic

I have a few questions though seeing as I would be getting into an MMO that is well-established and since it has only one server, I would not have the chance to roll on a newer one so here goes:

-How long will it take before a new player is viable in PvP?

-Does this game require (needed to be good) RL money besides its subscription?

-Is this game very skill oriented? (Because from the videos it seems like people just turn on a whole bunch of weapons and circle around their enemies watching...pardon if I am mistaken)

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745
    Originally posted by ketsumiFFS

Hello everyone...
    I have come to the conclusion that after years of playing Guild Wars, getting high ranked and this and that, and same with getting r13 in WoW before first expansion...that those games suck...
    I enjoy PvP thouroughly, and from the information I have read on Eve and its PvP / the videos I have watched, it seems very fun / epic
    I have a few questions though seeing as I would be getting into an MMO that is well-established and since it has only one server, I would not have the chance to roll on a newer one so here goes:
    -How long will it take before a new player is viable in PvP?
    Maybe ten minutes to learn Propulsion Jamming I, though as a completely new pilot you'll need to learn the (real player skills) ropes, which is where the real learning curve is.  Maybe a month?  I'd suggest after you create your character and learn how to fly around and shoot crap you look on the official forums about joining a pvp corp - there's several pirate / FW corps that will take complete rookies and train you up.
    -Does this game require (needed to be good) RL money besides its subscription?
    Nope.
    -Is this game very skill oriented? (Because from the videos it seems like people just turn on a whole bunch of weapons and circle around their enemies watching...pardon if I am mistaken)
    Eve is the most (real player skill) dependent MMO I've ever played, with the major caveat that 99% of the fight happens before any shooting starts.  Ship fittings, planning, pursuing and engaging a target, tactics, and long-term strategy (in the 0.0 sovereignty game) are all very, very important.  Once the target is engaged there's usually very little left to do at that point except follow the plan and see who dies first.  Depending on your fleet setup, fleet commander, and your own abilities (which depend mostly on what your ship has fit, and a little on what (character) skills you have trained), you may still have some options after you're engaged.  Also, hugely long epic fleet fights don't make good YouTube videos.
    I'm not saying interesting fights where being able to adapt in real time to evolving circumstances to use your wits and your abilities to defeat a very close or even superior opponent never happen (like this very good fight, for example), it's just not how things commonly work - once you're engaged the fight's already over most of the time, they're more like this fight where my tactic of depending my small size and high speed to evade a large gate camp was defeated by their tactic of using a specialized ship with an extremely fast lock time to prevent me from warping away and a second ship that could instantly drain all my capacitor so I couldn't run an afterburner and run back to the gate.  Once the fight started, it was already over, though I did my best, of course.
    Thanks for your help.

EDIT: If you do decide to go for it, get Evemon and Eve Fitting Tool (you can find them on Google) while you're downloading the client.