Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

guild wars roleplaying or guilds pvp only

xusheng2xusheng2 Member Posts: 109

i recently brought guild wars faction and when i started my account it asked my to choose between roleplaying or pvp. i would just like to know the difference.

Playing: WoW and Guild wars faction.
waiting on: GW2 and next WoW expansion =)
played: flyff, diablo2, maplestory, dungeon runners, eudemons online, conquer online, runescape, decide online, perfect world, and atlantica.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

A pvp character starts at level 20, probably with max gear, but cannot do anything other than pvp.  A pve character starts at level 1 (but does get to level 20 pretty quickly) and can do all of the game's pve content.  Unless you bought the game with the intention that you would only pvp and never do anything else, you probably want the latter.

The point of a pvp character is mainly so that if someone has played the game quite a bit and would like to pvp as a different class, they can do so and immediately be max level, rather than taking 10 hours to get back to the max level and be able to pvp. 

• Hellscream07Hellscream07 Member Posts: 123

Roleplaying: You start with noob stuff at lvl 1 in the campaign and get to go through the storyline,missions, etc buying the skills you need (and capturing the elite skills from bosses) and get to find new gear inside. Can also go to PvP island to do PvP

PvP: You start with PvP gear and lvl 20. You can also create different PvP gear with the color, runes, inscriptions, etc that you want as long as you´ve unlocked it by finding it in PvE or buying it with factions points (which you get by winning PvP matches). You also get to equip any skill as long as you´ve unlocked it by getting it in PvE or buying it with faction points. Can't get off PvP island, aka can't do PvE

I'd suggest you start with a Roleplaying char if you want to enjoy the PvE of the game (which is much more fun and challengin than other MMOs nowadays). PvP chars are useful to try different builds in PvP without having to go through the levelling and looking for gear.

• xusheng2xusheng2 Member Posts: 109

ok, if i pick pve would i still be able to switch to pvp later on?

played: flyff, diablo2, maplestory, dungeon runners, eudemons online, conquer online, runescape, decide online, perfect world, and atlantica.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

You could create a pve character now, and then create a pvp character later.  Or you can go pvp with your pve character, though that's not really viable until you reach level 20.  That generally takes 10-20 hours of playing time, depending on the campaign in which you start, or perhaps somewhat less if you really rush and try to level fast. 

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

You can PVP in the same places and ways that a PVP only character can. You just have to play the pve portion to become a high enoug level to pvp.

A PVP character cannot do the PVE portions. But a PVE character can do the PVP portions in the exact same way a PVP character does. The PVP characters can dye their gear at startup more easily and choose between a selection of gear that you have unlocked (usually by PVE), but it is essentially the same.

PVP Characters are, as someone has already indicated, intended as a supplement to the PVE portion. If you are starting, start PVE. You can PVP with that character just as easily as if you made a PVP character, just later.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• RocktoberRocktober Member Posts: 118

I would say that since you have four character slots, go ahead and make a PvP only character if you really want to jump into that right away, and also make a PvE one so that you can enjoy the other side of the game (leveling up through the story/missions).  I recently started a new character, and going through the storyline it took me roughly 50 hours to get to level 20, which I was able to do using only the NPC backups in my team.

However, the downside to starting a PvP only character is similar to having someone powerlevel you in other games.. you end up with a max level character, but don't know how to play it.  In this regard, and especially since you're new to GW in general, it would probably be in your best interest to focus on the PvE development.  In this way you get used to how the different mechanics of the game work, as well as practicing with different spells/skills and their uses.

------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't win - if you strike me down I shall respawn more powerful than you could possibly imagine!

• xusheng2xusheng2 Member Posts: 109

k thanks for the help i think im gonna start on pve.

• Hellscream07Hellscream07 Member Posts: 123

When you start a PvP char, you also get a really limited build. Starting playing GW with a PvP char and starting unlocking skills from 0 mioght be grindy and kind of hard. Starting with a PvE chars and buying/unlocking skills in the PvE part of the game is usually faster and helps you get more skills early on.