Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i7

2»

Comments

• FutwoxFutwox Member Posts: 4

There's no doubt the 965 is a decent processor.  If you need the absolute fastest, without going into a server class CPU, it's the way to go.  I just didn't like that is was 3-4x the price of the 920 but only delivered about a 20% performance boost.  If you're going to run the Nvidia 295 dual GPU in it, I'd invest in some good cooling hardware.  The Nvidia 295 is definitely the fastest gaming GPU out today, but it really cranks out the heat.  I imagine you must need a 1000+ watt PS with that particular CPU & GPU.

I would like to find another EQ 1 player using an i7 to find out if they are having the same issues as I am.

• kadragonkadragon Member Posts: 1

I'm gonna wait until Nvidia releases a new nforce chipset that supports core i7

• kdw75kdw75 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Korby

You're either an idiot, or very rich to purchase one right after release.

I built mine in January and it wasn't too expensive.

920 CPU $229 at Micro Center

Asus P6T Deluxe MB $230 eBay

6 GB OCZ Platinum RAM 1600MHz $89 New Egg

So as you can see upgrading only cost me $548.

Keith

• zybezzybez Member Posts: 12

I bought an i7 computer last month. I have to say that the Intel i7 performs much better than the Q-series processors and they beat all the AMD processors that I've tried.

• pfloydguy84pfloydguy84 Member UncommonPosts: 149

Bought a core i7 comp recently.price went down a lot since it first came out in november 2008.dont buy the 940.the 920 is like 2.4 ghz slower only but is about half the price.got the upper mid range gigabyte MB and 6 gigs ddr3 ram.the ram went way down in price since it came out .If you're buying a new comp a core i7 might be worth it to you as it will last you well into the future and since its at the beginning it's life cycle, it will be upgradable well into the future as well.

Fairly good time to buy a comp actually as video cards are cheap as hell now too since ATI and Nvidia are really going at it.for about 180 dollars you can get a gtx 260 core 216 or a 4870, and they can max pretty much anything out.I can play crysis at all very high settings and 1920X1200 resolution.Havent seen GPUs this cheap in a long time.

• llibertylliberty Member Posts: 52

Not only that, with the right MB and cooler, you can easily run 4.1-4.3ghz on air.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by Korby

You're either an idiot, or very rich to purchase one right after release.

The i7 920 costs about $300. The motherboard for it costs another $250-$300. You can get 4GB of DDR3 ram for about $120. Add to that a decent video card Nvidia 9800 GT for about $130.

That's a total of about $850. Provided you're able to use your existing power supply, DVD drive, hard disk and computer case. A decent power supply will cost you about $130, DVD drive for about $30 or less and a hard drive is another $100 for a 1TB. You can also get a computer case for under $100, probably under $50, unless you want those gaudy cases with the clear sides.

That's roughly about $1,200 for a brand new PC, provided you can build one yourself.

I don't see that as being very rich or an idiot. On the other hand, if you get a similar PC from Dell or Alienware or some other site and pay $1,800+, that's a different story.

What he meant was:

DUDE! If you waited some months the price would have gone down. In some months they would have the next in line for tha i7 product making the one you have useless and outdated. In some months the competition will make a better one that is also cheaper.

That was what he meant. What happened to the hd-dvd people who bought an hd dvd player and hd player for the xbox 360? Some months later Blueray came and burried it.

Either way, you are rich and that is one heck of a fine beast you have.

I got a question. Is the cooling necessary? or can you just place the pc in a room that always has the A/C on plus the house always has A/C on too. Why would you overclock it and possibly risk burning $300 just to get .4 more ghz when at the moment it is apparent that no game out now will make it sweat?

Those are 2 questions, please answer.(not a challenge or making you look like an ass, just very curious and interested in actually knowing that)

• AxlesAxles Member Posts: 123

My current system is a Core i7

920 @3.6Ghz OC'd

6GB DDR3 Tri Channel Corsiair Dominator @1600

Two 9800GTX's in SLI

770core 1925shader 1200mem

EVGA X58 TriSLI/Crossfire motherboard

Asus 21.5 HDMI 1080p LCD screen.

850w Thermaltake Toughpower Modular QuadSLI/TriSLI PSU

Here is a Vantage score Link to Orb

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972

i7 920 OC @3.8 with Akasa Nero AK-967 1366 (best cost/benefit in temp/noise/price, hard to find)

P6T Deluxe (awesome stable future proof oc motherboard, but very pricy, in 3 months it will drop a lot, but I couldnt wait more, its ok)

Sapphire HD4870 Toxic 1GB (along with ICEQ4 from HIS, the best 4870 performance/cooling/noise was hard to find)

6GB 3X2 kit Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz CA 8 (pricy)

2 x Maxtor 500GB 32MB raid 0 (best cost/benefit)

Corsair TX 750W (awesome psu, it still leaves me with around 200w for upgrades)

Case CoolerMaster CM 690 + 5x CoolerMaster R4-L2R-20CK-GP (90CFM 19dB cheap and hard to find)

(-12°C on CPU and -10°C on CPU regardless of CPU Akasa Nero (-20°C load) and Toxic Vapor-X on GPU (-15°C load) with the 2 up exaustors, 1 back exaustor, 1 front fan, 1 bottom fan, 2 side fans: aimed to gpu and cpu)

Monitor is a 22' Samsung T220 with 2ms

Runs everything maxed in my monitor resolution, cold, quiet, stable for 24/7 if needed. Its a shame I couldnt wait for a motherboard/cpu/mem price reduction, but better than buy a 775 at this point in time.