Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which will be better Aion or Runes of Magic?

They both seem similar enough that they can be fairly compared. I personally don't know since I've never played Aion. At the same time Runes of Magic is still being built as we play it. Wondering what you all think.

Edit: Of course I'm serious. "So Serious"

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

Comments

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

Are you serious????

• ZeroDepthZeroDepth Member Posts: 142

I will be playing RoM until Aion enters open beta (hopefully there will be no wipe).

RoM is a good f2p game, possibly the best if it keeps up what it is currently doing. However Aion from the graphics and pvp (Abyss) is just too good to pass up.   

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

How can you compare Aion PvP to RoM? What insightor experience do you have? Pleae explain.

As an side...there's only one game to play coming off the heels of a horrible AoC launch and drsatically incomplete game and a boring and redundent WAR game, and that is Darkfall.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

At the same time Runes of Magic is still being built as we play it.

I think Aion will be heads/shoulders above RoM. Aion has been in development for many years and has already been released overseas (I live in the US) where it is doing VERY well as a new MMO. The art style is somewhat similar to FFXI, but the play style is extremely more friendly to PvP than FFXI was, so for most people it will be the best of both worlds. (I prefer the PvE grouping more myself). There are NUMEROUS vids and screenshots out of actual people playing and huge PvP battles so there's no question the game works well.

The added bonus is that if you live in NA, we will probably get the game last or near last, so by then the game will have had probably 99% of any bugs ferreted out before it hit our shores. Look for most bugs to be in translation content regarding quests since its being converted from Korean as it primary to English. The release around these parts isn't until at least 3-4 more months from now, so you can just about bet on a smooth game. I played FFXI from NA release and this is how it was with that one. Smooth, no bugs, easy to play because it had been through all the hoops over in Japan. That's why that game had a good following to this day, it was steady, well put together and emphasized group play.

While there have been so many misses MMO wise in 2008, this one will be one of the few "no brainers" for Game of The Year 2009" more than likely as it will be the best combination of previous MMOs.. (Perfect world's flying, FFXI's art, several MMO's Pvp, Wow's attention to detail etc)

Well, that's what I think :)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

AION has supposedly spent like 100 million on development so I would assume that it would be alot more polished.......but.........You have to factor in whether AION is worth the price of the game and the monthly as opposed to playing RoM for free........I have played alot of MMOs that looked great at first but got bored wit hthem fairly quick.......Most of them I spent around 100 bucks for the game and a 6 month sub......In the end I felt I would have been better off just playing a free game and saving the money.

• PabswikkPabswikk Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

How can you compare Aion PvP to RoM? What insightor experience do you have? Pleae explain.

As an side...there's only one game to play coming off the heels of a horrible AoC launch and drsatically incomplete game and a boring and redundent WAR game, and that is Darkfall.

....Please....go fall into a hole. Why add this comment onto the end? It's not even part of the subject? Do you feel the need to tell us your opinion on DF, AoC and WAR is so important it can't go in a topic about those games?

Aion looks to be far better than RoM, but who knows, plenty of good looking games get screwed up.

• dcoleman07dcoleman07 Member Posts: 126

Truth is, noone really knows unless they've played them both, and even then its a matter of opinion.  I downloaded Runes of Magic a couple days ago just to check it out, and Im having a lot of fun with it. I have WAR and AoC readily available to play but i'd rather play RoM until Darkfall comes out. 

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Pabswikk

....Please....go fall into a hole. Why add this comment onto the end? It's not even part of the subject? Do you feel the need to tell us your opinion on DF, AoC and WAR is so important it can't go in a topic about those games?

Aion looks to be far better than RoM, but who knows, plenty of good looking games get screwed up.

ROFL  hahahaha

Okay, so are you going to answer the question?  Or just bloviate?

Morons, imho, play games based on looks and window-dressing.  Not saying you are but I'll let you categorize yourself.

So again, what tangible matter is there to pin Aion's PvP system above RoM?

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

I have not extensively tested both, but from the brief time I had with each... I just liked Runes of Magic better.

Aion, for all its hype, wasnt that spectacular... It was a good game, but didnt feel unique (I could be playing just about any other current MMO).

Runes of Magic did feel new, and refreshing. It had some interesting changes, and played well.

Just my opinion.... and it will depend on what you like in a game. I am big on PvE, and consider PvP secondary. If you are big on PvP, and consider PvE secondary, you might like Aion more.

• DasadorahDasadorah Member Posts: 38

I like Aion and Runes of Magic but you can not really compare the two. One is f2p and the other is p2p. They have many differances and would be hard to really base off on what would be the over all best. I guess we will just have to see when both games go to full release. But I will not be going to Aion, I like and made my home at Runes of Magic. XD Its a great game and pretty well established community too. :)

I'v been with Runes of Magic before apha beta and played through the phase of closed beta and love the changes they have made. Best f2p mmo in my book.

-GUILDMASTER OF WICKED RED-

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

LOL some guy was trying to say the other day that Aion already has over 6 million subs.........Yeah and I have some real estate for sale in hawaii too.........

• zippy123zippy123 Member Posts: 172

Yes there is no way to answer that unless someone played them both. MMO's almost never live up to the hype, and I expect Aion or whatever will be a major let down as well.

Mind as well try playing RoM since its free anyways, and it is pretty good so far as I seen.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Lets do the math.  F2P Runes of Magic vs P2P Aion. 

C'mon, you really need help answering this quesiton? OK, I'll bite.

Aion, on this basis alone.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

There is no WAY RoM will EVER be better than Aion.

Aion is one of the most expensive ambitious mmorpg projects to date. The development team of over 500 people Huge budget and backed up by years of innovation. Then you compare RoM which just took the WoW style and dulled up the graphics and ruined the sound effects but made it free.

Aion will be a subscription fee game, and I am sure that it will be  a very popular one Ala Lineage 2.

I Am only playing FFXI waiting for Aion currently and in all the mmorpg games iv played there are always people just waiting for Aion.

Its just not even a fair comparison RoM and Aion are on totally different playing fields, thats like Comparing a Sushi bar to canned Tuna. RoM maybe the best damn Canned tuna in the world but its still just Tuna!

Its still just a low-mid budget F2P mmo. Aion is a multi million dollar high development P2P mmo.

Oh and about the person who stated the 6million subscription number, It was in Closed Korean Beta last year and over 6million people in Korea signed up for that beta.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by Calintz333

Its just not even a fair comparison RoM and Aion are on totally different playing fields, thats like Comparing a Sushi bar to canned Tuna. RoM maybe the best damn Canned tuna in the world but its still just Tuna!
    Its still just a low-mid budget F2P mmo. Aion is a multi million dollar high development P2P mmo.

That pretty much sums it up.

I really like playing RoM and will play it for a long time, it's the only F2P I can bring myself to play and that's saying a lot, I'm really picky. But it does not come close to Aion's ankles for the simple fact that RoM is a very low budget project and Aion is not.

RoM is Runewaker's first and only MMO and there are doing a good job with what they have and the limits they have with their company (minuscule) but it's no NCsoft funded game.

If we are talking about which game will be more fun or popular that's really hard to say because RoM has the cheap factor going for it while Aion has polish and solid mechanics. Depends on the player, what are you willing to pay for?

Also I don't think Aion and RoM look anything alike, all they have in common is an asian influence.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

To use your own statement:
    How can you make such claims? Have you played Darkfall? Are you in the Beta?

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

Originally posted by Kyleran

Actually Kyleran you're wrong on this one.
    Aion is just another P2P fantasy MMORPG that has PVP. While RoM is F2P and is nearly as good as most P2P MMORPG's that I've played and Better than a lot of them. To be honest unless Aion is heads and shoulders better and, more importantly, more FUN, there's no reason to play it over RoM since RoM is... free.

I don't play it a lot but RoM is quite a nice MMORPG in it's own right and I've quite enjoyed it when I bother logging in.

Beauty of it is... since it's free... I don't have to decide whether to log in or not... if I feel like it, I log in... if I don't it's no big deal since i'm not paying for it.

Anyone saying Aion is "better" who hasn't played it yet is deluding themselves. Wait till you play it before assuming a P2P game is better than RoM is. Why? Because we've seen PLENTY of multi-million dollar flops. There's no guarantee that Aion will be any better than every MMORPG out there. I haven't played it so I'm withholding judgement until there's a free trial or open beta. Till then there's really no way to compare them.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

ROM is the best of the F2P MMO (if you don't count Guildwars as a F2P game, it owns ROM totaly) but it is in hard competition even with the worst P2P games.

It is a different league, both graphic wise and with gameplay. So, yes I believe Aion will be better.

Originally posted by Loke666
    ROM is the best of the F2P MMO (if you don't count Guildwars as a F2P game, it owns ROM totaly) but it is in hard competition even with the worst P2P games.
    It is a different league, both graphic wise and with gameplay. So, yes I believe Aion will be better.

I dunno... I play Guild Wars and I don't think it's really any better than RoM... RoM is a persistent world whereas Guildwars is 100% instances... which I loathe. I don't enjoy GW much at all though I do still play now and then.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Taram

Originally posted by Kyleran

Actually Kyleran you're wrong on this one.

Aion is just another P2P fantasy MMORPG that has PVP. While RoM is F2P and is nearly as good as most P2P MMORPG's that I've played and Better than a lot of them. To be honest unless Aion is heads and shoulders better and, more importantly, more FUN, there's no reason to play it over RoM since RoM is... free.

I don't play it a lot but RoM is quite a nice MMORPG in it's own right and I've quite enjoyed it when I bother logging in.

Beauty of it is... since it's free... I don't have to decide whether to log in or not... if I feel like it, I log in... if I don't it's no big deal since i'm not paying for it.

Anyone saying Aion is "better" who hasn't played it yet is deluding themselves. Wait till you play it before assuming a P2P game is better than RoM is. Why? Because we've seen PLENTY of multi-million dollar flops. There's no guarantee that Aion will be any better than every MMORPG out there. I haven't played it so I'm withholding judgement until there's a free trial or open beta. Till then there's really no way to compare them.

We're wired differently then.  I don't play MMO's because I"m paying for them, the cost is almost neglible to me, (I pay anywhere from 5-7 subs a month).  I play games because I want to, and you've said yourself you don't feel any "need" to play.  

I agree, who knows if Aion will be great, but I've yet to find a F2P game that I've enjoyed, so Aion wins on just that basis.    Someday a game may come along to change that.

And as I always say, F2P games are not free.  Its just an illusion, sooner or later you will find yourself drawn to the cash shop.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NesciNesci Member Posts: 1

I think you guys have said everything allready, but let me sum this up a little. Im huge fan of pvp and the system that AION has, its just amazing, like straight from my wet dreams. Its oblivious choice to me. In the other hand RoM is a great game even though its free to play and has pretty low budget (at least comparing to AION). We need those, two thumbs up for Runewaker. And yeah, like Kyleran said in the end you'll find yourself exploring through the cash shop for those great boosters to be the ONE   (at least thats how it goes for me...). Anyways im really looking forward to get my hands on AION and I think Im not the only one..

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I personally feel Aion will be better. 

Don't get me wrong - Runes of Magic is not a bad game. It just doesn't appeal to me as much as Aion does. I love the latter's art style, aerial combat, customization options and from what I've heard, soundtrack too. They are fairly different, therefore I don't feel one can compare them too closely. That being said, I would prefer to play a game such as Aion. 

The Runes of Magic team seems very dedicated to ironing out bugs and adding new content, so kudos to them. I'm sure both will turn out to be very successful games in their own right.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

To begin with, comparing a f2p game with a p2p game is just plain stupid (except in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances). I wont insult Runes of Magic, but really you cannot compare a released game that has almost as much polish as WoW (yes I just said that) with a f2p game in beta. Graphics and art style are unquestionable. Aion boasts a combo system which does make combat more interesting. Oh and lets not forget flight/flying combat. On top of that its worth mentioning that Aion already has enough end game content to keep players (in Korea) very interested.

In fact the game is doing very well in Korea. There have already been several news articles on its success.

I dont think Aion will be a WoW Killer, but it will certainly reach WAR levels and most likely surpass it. From there on the sky is the limit. The game has the potential to exceed the 1mil mark. If you look at what gamers want and what Aion offers, from that point of view its clear that this game will exceed the 1mil mark eventually. Its the spiritual successor to L2 which was like the 'WoW game' back in the day.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Razephon

To begin with, comparing a f2p game with a p2p game is just plain stupid (except in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances). I wont insult Runes of Magic, but really you cannot compare a released game that has almost as much polish as WoW (yes I just said that) with a f2p game in beta. Graphics and art style are unquestionable. Aion boasts a combo system which does make combat more interesting. Oh and lets not forget flight/flying combat. On top of that its worth mentioning that Aion already has enough end game content to keep players (in Korea) very interested.
    In fact the game is doing very well in Korea. There have already been several news articles on its success.
    I dont think Aion will be a WoW Killer, but it will certainly reach WAR levels and most likely surpass it. From there on the sky is the limit. The game has the potential to exceed the 1mil mark. If you look at what gamers want and what Aion offers, from that point of view its clear that this game will exceed the 1mil mark eventually. Its the spiritual successor to L2 which was like the 'WoW game' back in the day.

Have you played Runes of Magic yet?

Whilst it may be true that Aion is released is Korea and Runes of Magic is still in open beta, the topic title read: Which will be better Aion or Runes of Magic. It's logical that a released game (at least in most circumstances) will have more polish than a game in beta, but that's exactly what the point of the beta is - to iron out bugs! The Runes of Magic team release at least one major patch per week, so they most definitely are dedicated to doing just that. 

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Originally posted by Lydon

Originally posted by Razephon

Have you played Runes of Magic yet?

Whilst it may be true that Aion is released is Korea and Runes of Magic is still in open beta, the topic title read: Which will be better Aion or Runes of Magic. It's logical that a released game (at least in most circumstances) will have more polish than a game in beta, but that's exactly what the point of the beta is - to iron out bugs! The Runes of Magic team release at least one major patch per week, so they most definitely are dedicated to doing just that. 

Actually its a funny story. I registered and was downloading Runes of Magic. So I said hey, lets watch some gameplay videos while it downloads. So I watched the official videos and some stuff on youtube.

Personally I have a very difficult time with F2P games. Mainly because they lack polish and have dull environments. But hey, they are free after all! Can't complain! I saw the typical flat plain green field in RoM. You know, the one you see in every F2P game? I know even some P2P games have em to some extent, but in general they put me off a lot. Yes I know thats an incredibly stupid reason, but yeah I cancelled the download. Hence I'm not playing RoM. As for Aion, I did play it a bit at G-Star event, so im pretty confident in it.

As to your post, yes your correct the question was 'which will be'. I feel my original post already answered that. Yes RoM is in beta. But I think its a bit overly optimistic to think this game could possibly compete with a AAA MMO title such as Aion. I dont expect it to and hence I think its silly to compare the two in the first place.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.