Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamespy artice (with some interesting info)

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

pc.gamespy.com/pc/bioware-mmo-project/938003p1.html

this is my favorite part, something in the game for everyone.

Quote:

GameSpy: Are you planning for the new game to emphasize social features (crafting, housing, etc.) or are you leaning more toward a focus on action?

BioWare: The great thing about MMOs is that they offer a large variety of activities for all kinds of players. You've got the real "role-players" who really get into their characters and the story, and then some people who just want to rush through the missions and level up as fast as possible and then you've got another group of people who just want to dive in to play player versus player. You also have players who like to build guilds and enjoy the social aspects of the game, and other players who get really into crafting and the game economy. The Old Republic will have opportunities for all these types of players to play the game exactly the way they enjoy playing it. We're taking a really balanced and comprehensive approach in this respect.

Our greatest strength, however, is in creating this really immersive story-driven gameplay experience and that's the area where were really innovating the most; however, we also have a commitment of to deliver on all of the things that people value the most in MMOs -- it's a delicate balancing act but we believe we're up for it!

This whole article reminds of this quote from a BW dev a few years ago. Which could mean they are building a game for everyone.

The best MMORPG ever would have the fluid tactical combat of City of Heroes, the Elder's Game of (pre-NGE) Star Wars Galaxies, and the continuing story arcs of Asheron's Call 1 (*toots own horn*).

Genre is less important to me. I like lots of things, though I've had enough of all the ninth-generation Tolkein ripoffs, k thx.

forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Sounds good. I am sure they can deliver on the story part, but I can only hope that they can figure out how to make a decnt crafting system.

• KesranKesran Member Posts: 88

Interesting article - I think the fact that the setting will allow them much more freedom is a very strong selling point. Quite looking forward to seeing how this one comes out

----------------------------
    Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what size my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

This thread is colour coded for casual forumer's.

FUCKING NOOBS RUINING FORUMS!

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019
    Originally posted by tillamook

The best MMORPG ever would have the fluid tactical combat of City of Heroes, the Elder's Game of (pre-NGE) Star Wars Galaxies, and the continuing story arcs of Asheron's Call 1 (*toots own horn*).
    Genre is less important to me. I like lots of things, though I've had enough of all the ninth-generation Tolkein ripoffs, k thx.

Ah ha ha, I found that quote quite agreeable and funny  Glad to see they are appealing to those with all sorts of different playstyles. What bugs me more than anything though is how they shroud their answers to the questions, so that half the time they basically don't answer anything that hasn't already been known. Wish they'd give us some fresh freakin' info.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

I hope they make all aspects as appealing (craft, roleplay, pvp and pve). But they all say that in the beginning (that their game has something for everyone)

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by tillamook

This whole article reminds of this quote from a BW dev a few years ago. Which could mean they are building a game for everyone.

forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html

Now we just need confirmation that Chris L'Etoile (the above quoted Bioware Dev) is actually on the MMO team and has a commonly shared view. One man on a team of many can have his view-point out voted time and again. Admittedly I have written this one off for me personally. However, if it can be factually proven that this game is 75% of the crafting game in SWG and that they truly have dynamic content on the level the Asheron's Call team did with monthly story updates (and the devs actually controlling characters in-game, interacting with players and advancing the story), then I would give it a meritable look.

But as they are hanging out with Mythic folks fresh off of creating WAR (which was not to my liking), and that we have no idea as to what they are taking away from those interactions, personally I'll take the road of believing in the worst until shown different. The recent release from MMO companies haven't warranted me to believe that the MMO creation Forumla for AAA companies will change with Bioware. I stand with the state of Missouri: "Show me".

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

The quote is a great reason to hope - IF that person has any say. It would be of importance for a quotation to comment, who the person is who said it. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Every MMO developer says their game has something for everyone. I'm more curious on whether they think WoW's crafting is good and that is what they consider good crafting, or if they are going to give us what we actually want and have a deep crafting system like SWG.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

Every MMO developer says their game has something for everyone. I'm more curious on whether they think WoW's crafting is good and that is what they consider good crafting, or if they are going to give us what we actually want and have a deep crafting system like SWG.

Exactly.  They all say their MMO in development will be the next best thing, or something so unique in gameplay.

*yawn*

Another disturbing trend with MMOs ever since a few years ago are the pathetic crafting systems.  Systems so boring and simple that a 1 armed, half-retarded, blind caveman can work on it.  Crafting systems so lame that they feel tacked on, as if the devs HAD to implement one for the sake of doing so.  Like it were an afterthought.

And of course, crafted equpiment it seems in developer eyes just has to be completely inferior to make way for Phat Lewtz.

Another reason why crafting in newer MMOs feel half pointless, when looted / reward items are readily available.

*yawn*

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• MMOLIFE-AndrewMMOLIFE-Andrew Member UncommonPosts: 50

SWG had all the great aspects of a great game, the only reason WoW got big is cause they screwed up with the NGE. I played SWG since almost launch and I was there when they pretty much killed the game. But I have High hopes for SWTOR. I think they will put out 1 of the best New gen Games. I am behind them 110%.

Lets hope and pray they do because we will be the ones playing it lol.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

The reason WoW is popular is that Blizzard made it and all their millions of fans are going to play it because of that. Then you have the knock on effect that because it is getting soo much hype more people try it and because peoples friends are playing it then they all get into it too. Blizzard also market it like crazy more so than anyother mmorpg and always do them TV adverts with celebs which must get lots of new people to buy them and we don't see that with anyother mmorpg. Mmorpgs are more fun when playing with friends and thats why people stay, if you had like 10 friends playing EQ2 you would play that and that is why people always return to WoW.