Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm having fun - kill me now

DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Like so many others, I 'officially' quit due to the NGE, but have tried to get back into the game numerous times since without much luck.

Until 2 days ago, that is.

I found out about having a third character slot, so I figured I'd give it another shot from scratch.

I decided to start as an Entertainer so that I would have an excuse to stand around talking, but a friend on vent told me about how Entertainers now have some of the the old Teras Kasi animations and that I could level one to 90 in a few hours, so I figured I'd give that a go.

I started the macros, and went to buy some groceries. When I got back 3 hours later, I'd been tipped almost 2 million credits and was lvl 90. If only the hologrind had been that easy!

It didn't take me long out in the world to find out that although I had the lovely Unarmed Hit 3 animation, this wasn't the profession for me, so I went back to Mos Eisley and respecced to Medic.

I decided that it would be fun to try out some of the Beast Mastery stuff, so anyway, my toon is now lvl 20 with a lvl 18 Tulrus (that does around 3 times my dps!) and I'm having fun. How long this 'comeback' attempt will last is anyones guess, so I'll make the most of it while I can

Comments

• OpticaleyeOpticaleye Member Posts: 498
    Originally posted by darwa

Like so many others, I 'officially' quit due to the NGE, but have tried to get back into the game numerous times since without much luck.
    I found out about having a third character slot, so I figured I'd give it another shot from scratch.
    I decided to start as an Entertainer so that I would have an excuse to stand around talking, but a friend on vent told me about how Entertainers now have some of the the old Teras Kasi animations and that I could level one to 90 in a few hours, so I figured I'd give that a go.
    I started the macros, and went to buy some groceries. When I got back 3 hours later, I'd been tipped almost 2 million credits and was lvl 90. If only the hologrind had been that easy!
    It didn't take me long out in the world to find out that although I had the lovely Unarmed Hit 3 animation, this wasn't the profession for me, so I went back to Mos Eisley and respecced to Medic.
    I decided that it would be fun to try out some of the Beast Mastery stuff, so anyway, my toon is now lvl 20 with a lvl 18 Tulrus (that does around 3 times my dps!) and I'm having fun. How long this 'comeback' attempt will last is anyones guess, so I'll make the most of it while I can

Dont worry the former players will very soon tell you that you are delusional.It wont take long.How could you possibly be having ANY amount of fun playing a game that is so hated?

What is your physical limit?

• HozloffHozloff Member Posts: 193

Looks like the game of the year to me...

"Sign up for SWG NOW!

Level 90 in three hours without the need to play the game! Use macros to earn millions of credits whilst you do your groceries!

Quickly and easily pet a monster and embark on an epic legacy quest which you can solo for 40 levels and slain iconic villains with triple DPS!"

I cant believe Im missing this!!!

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

As much as I dislike the current version of swg and everything soe in general, if your having fun don't let what anyone says get to you.  I question your tatses in games, but I won't question whether or not your having fun. 

BTW, I'd keep the part about using afk macros to max out your character level to yourself.  Just saying.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• DahlifyrDahlifyr Member UncommonPosts: 134

Do youre self a favour, do not visit the SWG forum when you are at MMORPG. I did that mistake, and i learned the lesson, just whinning upon whinning upon whinning. Its enough that one self thinks one having fun, no need to let the "vets" think they can convince you to anything else.

And if you have to visit thoose forums, the block-button is youre friend. 10 people to block, then the whinners is silenced:D Just the same people saying the same old shit all the time.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

who the hell cares what other people think of the game you enjoy.....if you enjoy it, noone has any right to tell you otherwise. Enjoy!

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by miagisan

who the hell cares what other people think of the game you enjoy.....if you enjoy it, noone has any right to tell you otherwise. Enjoy!

Exactly...

Somehow people don't quite grasp the concept of what "subjective" means.

Games are like art.. some people love it.. some hate.  Its kinda like how Ben defined "truth" in the first Star Wars movies.  It depends on your point of view.

Regardless if you are having fun... "yay".  Enjoy it while you can.. you dunno how long it might be before you have fun again when it stops.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Why does everyone Love Bounty Hunters?

The Bounty Hunter in RotW was some noob who killed himself and the one in the new episodes got owned just as easily and they never posed a threat to any Jedi.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i haqve been a bounty hunter in SWG for 4 years before i left, i have read all the bounty hunter books for SW, and i love the characters behind them. The reason i love them is because of BH's like Boba, Dengar, 4LOM, and others, is that while they may be the scum of the universe, they have values, strict rules of conduct, and morales (Read the Tales of the Bounty Hunters). There is method to their work, regality, and a moral code found second to none to the Jedi.

It's not about being 1337 or uber, my love for the Star Wars bounty hunters goes much deeper than just "being cool".And in the expanded universe, bounty hunters are very much to be feared, and respected, and just because you saw one instance in ROTJ where he got killed, doesnt xscratch the surface of the bounty hunter.

ps: Boba didn't get killed, and actually escaped, though horrible disfigured and broken. He also played a huge part in EP4:ESB. Then there were also the prequel movies, so yes BHs appear alot

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

The Bounty Hunter in RotW was some noob who killed himself and the one in the new episodes got owned just as easily and they never posed a threat to any Jedi.

I'd say that Boba is a rather minor (not to mention flat) character in the movies. To get to know him at all, you'd have to look outside of the movies.

In the movies, Boba does seem to die. But in the books, he gets to live. In a story from Tales from Jabba's Palace, you get to read about him surviving the Sarlacc pit. The name of the story is A Barve Like That - it's a pretty good story by the way, I recommend it :)

And yeah, like the above poster I'd also recommend the one in Tales of the Bounty Hunters where he goes against Han yet again. It's interesting to see how strict a moral code he seems to have - the conversation he has with Leia where he pisses over the moral ground of the Rebellion, dismisses the Force as something he's never seen proof of and gets to act offended on being compared to Han Solo by Leia (because he sees Han as an immoral person) is particularly amusing.

You see, these stories gives you insight into the character and he gets to have a personality, and an intriguing one at that. I'd imagine it's this kind of stuff that makes people more interested in bounty hunters and in Boba in particular.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

I had fun for a few weeks in the nge with the beast handler thing, but then it went away and I realized SWG had nothing more to offer me. I've returned a few times hoping there was something, but find nothing to keep me there.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181
    Originally posted by tillamook

I had fun for a few weeks in the nge with the beast handler thing, but then it went away and I realized SWG had nothing more to offer me. I've returned a few times hoping there was something, but find nothing to keep me there.

It's been the same for me mate, but I'm not as far down the road as you - I'm trying the Beast Master thingy now.

I have to admit though, that I am very surprised at how many people I see on Bloodfin. It's taking me longer than you'd expect to do these legacy quests due to the competition for kills at the spawn locations (and nobody seems to want to group up! lol).

And yes, I'm still having fun. That's 3 days so far

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

See the things that don't add up to me is they say they're doing loot cards for new players who wouldn't know how to find crafters in game or whatever. I'm thinking do new players buy loot cards, know what they are and are there any new players? From where I'm standing it's only the veteran players who sink money into them. So the bennefit for the new is just some lame excuse.

You have statements about the profession system being too complex for new players and yet new players don't ever have a clue where to find quests or how to do them so they have to look on websites. New players never have a clue on how to do very much in Galaxies because it is a mess and the tutorial doesn't help. The beast Master thing is really hard and complex that it took me awhile to figure out and I couldn't imagine trying to take that up as a new player and why I think it should have been made into it's own class.

Smedley is just inconsistent in everything he says.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

Remember, Jango almost killed Obi-Wan in EP 2 and he killed one Jedi on camera during the battle on Genosis.  He might have even killed Mace if he hadn't been beaten down by that beast right before he was killed.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

And yes, I'm still having fun. That's 3 days so far

Glad to hear that, if you need anything be sure to /tell Baddgeer (I'm on Bloodfin too) and I'll help if I can.

• SkeeSkeeSkeeSkee Member UncommonPosts: 129

If you're having fun then great. 

I just hate it when people try to persist that the current game is "better than ever" and then call everyone bitter old vets who can't let go of anything when we disagree.

• ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363

To those that say the game is beta you are so wrong the game is fixed its been 3 years since the NGE sent people running away I ran also.

But the GAME is STABLE it is FUN how can you comment you don't even play it.

Go crawl under a rock and cry boo hoo I want my Pre-CU. You know its not coming back right?

Well let me tell you its a new game its fun so stop trashing something you don't play.

Next will come the viral marketing comment, lol you grown men grow up.

Ajax

• JustTalkingJustTalking Member CommonPosts: 206

I consider ex-mmo gamers to be quite a bit like ex-smokers, some can quit and not say a word to others about their habit....others quit and suddenly turn into this preacher against it and must tell -everyone- how bad it is, and so on.

I am a former SWG player on Bloodfin as well, and if you're having fun with SWG, regardless of how, then kudos to you....this is something i've tried to do myself but with little success i'm afraid.

Too much has changed, too many have left....of my guild nobody is on anymore....it just isn't the same for me anymore.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by ajax7

To those that say the game is beta you are so wrong the game is fixed its been 3 years since the NGE sent people running away I ran also.
    But the GAME is STABLE it is FUN how can you comment you don't even play it.
    Go crawl under a rock and cry boo hoo I want my Pre-CU. You know its not coming back right?
    Well let me tell you its a new game its fun so stop trashing something you don't play.
    Next will come the viral marketing comment, lol you grown men grow up.

I don't want Pre-CU SWG.  I wouldn't pay to play it either as it was a glorified Beta iteslf.  This has NOTHING to do with Pre-CU, it's all about now.

SWG is hardly a "complete" or fully functional game.  The combat is jacked.  The economy is jacked.  The servers still lag.  Hoth is a broken lagfest.  The UI is still horrid.  The quests are still horrid.  The grind is still horrid. 

It runs BETTER than it did 3 years ago, but what game doesn't run better than SWG did 3 years ago?  3 years ago wasn't even Beta, it was Alpha.  SWG is pretty much in Beta as we speak. 

The issues with this game cannot be easily fixed either.  No collision detection (that was promised by the way by the development team in 2006).  There will NEVER be collision detection.  You can shoot through walls, shoot through pretty much whatever.  Combat isn't FPS.  It's RPG that pretends to be FPS because they thought...  "How can we make this FEEL more iconic?" "Oh yeah, we'll speed up the combat que and see what happens..." and the result is a laggy and busted form of combat that is likely one of the worst on the market.

Stop talking about Pre-CU.  It is long gone.  Most of us wouldn't pay SOE or LucasArts to play it now anyways.  Talk about SWG as it is today.

STILL a broken mess with a multitude of bugs, instances, empty servers, and horrible gameplay.  Each time I log on and hope it is better I realize that it probably never will be...

Would you like to know why everyone?  It's really simple, I promise...

SWG will never get fixed because SOE and LucasArts don't care about SWG.  They care less about the condition of this game than most of the current players do.  So keep paying for your Beta and telling us how crazy we "vets" are, throw out Pre-CU references, it isn't going to change the fact that SWG is still a busted game, broken at the core, and it isn't going to EVER be fixed because both SOE and LucasArts know the fix is in development as we type--

The Old Republic

Have a great day everyone! 

Tecmo Bowl.

• gothamgotham Member Posts: 26

I must confess, yes I'm enjoying the game too

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

The game is fun, more fun for me than any other game on the market. Bugs are being squashed with every publish. I don't find any gamebreaking bugs. With the free character transfer coming January 13 through March 31st no one has to game on a "empty" server anymore.

No other game lets you play the game as you want to. Truly a sandbox experience, if you want combat do that, you want to roleplay and create situations? Use the storyteller. PvP it's great, never has there been a time in this game when every combat profession was under the check and balance like it is now. Space and vehicles like nothing else in any game.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

To the O.P., I won't kill you lol, won't even say bad things to you.  If you're having fun, enjoy :).

The only thing I would say at this point is watch you don't get sucked into gambling for SWG loot items in the Trading Card Game.  Some people have lost a whack of cash trying to get the latest loot and buffs.  They'll buy a ton of card packs hoping to get a certain loot item and get squat.  If you can see that potential pitfall, and step around it, you've probably avoided the worst.  A lot of people just ignore the bait and don't bother sinking their money into this, seems like wisdom to me.