Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ISN'T THERE ANY MMORPG'S THAT YOU BUY BUT DONT HAVE A MONTHLEY FEE????

Originally posted by sloth

EVERY MMORPG HAS A MONTHLEY FEE!!!! ARN'T THERE SOME GOOD ONES LIKE D2 OR BG THAT DONT HAVE A MONTHLEY FEE?????::L^(::::?^)::

Two Words, GUILD WARS

There is one game that is coming out without a monthly fee it is called Guild Wars and it is curently in development but it is coming out in mid 2004 with a No Camping spin on the whole genre, some will like this idea some will not, already this game that is not even into its beta has got a huge Fan comunity like The Guild Hall which in my opinuon is the best out there at the moment, also there is a monthly webzine about this game which has just come out called Photics which is in PDF format.

Personally the best thing about this is that you don't need broadband to play it! nope all you need is a 1mb per second T1 connection, lol no i'm just messing with youimage. The developers have stated that this game does run smoothly on dial-up and the Alpha Beta people have also reported it to run v smoothly on dail-ip even from people on other continants.

As you could have guessed from the name you'll be able to join Guilds (clans) offically within the game and like other games it has the best Guilds and the worst but what is different is that you just won't be the best on your server u'll be the best In The World as you'll all be playing on one server.

Links

Fansites

The Guild Hall

Guilds

Blood Dragons

"Fear Not What Death Brings But Nor What It Gives"

Comments

• higgsbosonhiggsboson Member Posts: 296

YES ... though not released yet, it's called

Guild Wars

It's a MMORPG from the original battle.net architect, designer of games like Warcraft 2&3, Diablo 1&2, Starcraft, etc...

It will not be released before Q1 of 2004 though.

It's my Most Anticipated Title of 2004.

Spread the Gospel of new messiah of MMORPG.

• GhostRaptorGhostRaptor Member Posts: 35

I'm the webmaster of http://theguildhall.itwasgg.com.  Since I see BBB has posted a link to our site, thought I'd drop in to add a little about Guild Wars.

There're a few other fansites as well:

http://www.photics.com - I really recommend this one.  Nice fresh take on how to run a fansite.

http://www.theguildwars.net - Great webmasters, though it's currently only really news/forums.  They're in the process of adding content now, however, and I think they'll do a good job.

http://www.rpgstars.com - One of the first sites.  News/Forums with a little content and two different site layouts that aren't compatible.

There will be new information on the game released sometime during January. ArenaNet notified, via email, the webmasters of all the fansites about this. The screenshots and information currently available on the game are mostly taken from E3 2003, and is therefore over 6 months old. So we're definitely looking forward to seeing how the game has evolved since then. The staff of The Guild Hall will update the site with the new information as soon as it becomes available. We also hope to be named as an Elite fansite in late January/early February. If we are, we will hopefully be given the opportunity to conduct an interview with ArenaNet in February.

Just like to clarify the release (and beta) dates. The game is currently expected to release in the second half of 2004. It certainly won't be Q1.  There has been no definite announcement of when the beta will commence (other than to say that the Closed Beta will start 3-4 months prior to release). They have announced there will be a Closed Beta followed by an Open Beta.

• BurnBabyBurnBurnBabyBurn Member Posts: 44

Yup,

I can't believe that no one mentioned Guild Wars yet even on a MMORPG forum! The temptation to post about it was too greatimage so i posted. Also Guild Wars was in PCGAMERs top 20 games at E3 and i bet 90% of these people buy PCGAMER and if they don't then they should.

I sneeked my site in there too lolimage I Wonder if Gaile has already advertized Guild Wars here before but just not in this post or dosen't Gaile do that kind of thing?image

Burn Strikes Back...........

"Fear Not What Deaths Brings But Nor What It Gives"

Originally posted by GhostRaptor

I'm the webmaster of http://theguildhall.itwasgg.com.  Since I see BBB has posted a link to our site, thought I'd drop in to add a little about Guild Wars.
    There're a few other fansites as well:

http://www.photics.com - I really recommend this one.  Nice fresh take on how to run a fansite.
    http://www.theguildwars.net - Great webmasters, though it's currently only really news/forums.  They're in the process of adding content now, however, and I think they'll do a good job.
    http://www.rpgstars.com - One of the first sites.  News/Forums with a little content and two different site layouts that aren't compatible.
    There will be new information on the game released sometime during January. ArenaNet notified, via email, the webmasters of all the fansites about this. The screenshots and information currently available on the game are mostly taken from E3 2003, and is therefore over 6 months old. So we're definitely looking forward to seeing how the game has evolved since then. The staff of The Guild Hall will update the site with the new information as soon as it becomes available. We also hope to be named as an Elite fansite in late January/early February. If we are, we will hopefully be given the opportunity to conduct an interview with ArenaNet in February.

Just like to clarify the release (and beta) dates. The game is currently expected to release in the second half of 2004. It certainly won't be Q1.  There has been no definite announcement of when the beta will commence (other than to say that the Closed Beta will start 3-4 months prior to release). They have announced there will be a Closed Beta followed by an Open Beta.

GhostRaptor....

First of All, I gotta say you are doing Superjob. Keep up with good work. I just can't believe that I'm actually seeing your post here image... though I've not visited your site quite often as I should of.

There weren't that much update going on both your and official site since last E3 event, but I gotta say Guild Wars is my most anticipated title of 2004 yes more than any other titles announced for next year. That would include HL2, STALKER, Lineage2, CityOfHeroes, etc though I will undoubtably try all these titles.

I've been waiting for this sort of MMORPG coming since the days of old MUDs in UNIX server back in my undergrad years, and this title actually caught my attention in a very big way because of the way this game is designed and where the emphasis has been put on (rewarding player's skill rather the the amount of time put on the game) not to mention the bonus feature of free monthly fee.

The only thing that I wished that this game would be improved upon is its graphics. It looks amazingly blockish and unrefined, I've been asking myself with all those guys of NCSoft working in Lineage 2 graphic art division how did they end up with the graphics the way it is right now.

ArenaNet guys should seriously consider of hiring new talents for its graphic art team.

Originally posted by higgsboson

First of All, I gotta say you are doing Superjob. Keep up with good work. I just can't believe that I'm actually seeing your post here image... though I've not visited your site quite often as I should of.
    There weren't that much update going on both your and official site since last E3 event, but I gotta say Guild Wars is my most anticipated title of 2004 yes more than any other titles announced for next year. That would include HL2, STALKER, Lineage2, CityOfHeroes, etc though I will undoubtably try all these titles.

image  I do my best.  Can't wait to see what they're planning to release in January.  From the email I got it sounded like a pretty major release.  And their Christmas Card thing alluded to a new look...

Likewise, GW is a game I'm really looking forward to.  I've never played an MMO (primarily due to not wanting to fork out monthly to play).  RPG's are "my" genre of game, the genre that I enjoy the most.  Especially multiplayer.  Until a couple months ago I was playing a lot of NWN online.  I still do occasionally, but I'm playing some other games more recently (KotOR especially).

Anyway, I (and the other TGH staff) will endeavour to supprt GW to the best of our abilities.  We're all learning a lot as we go (I've never done any formal web-design training, so I'm pretty happy with how the site is going at the moment), and enjoying it a lot.  Hopefully ArenaNet can deliver on the promise the game seems to hold.

• Negative71Negative71 Member Posts: 162

This post is not a recommendation, as I haven't even been able to enter the game yet.. but strictly to answer the question of whether or not there is a MMO that has no monthly fee, there's Project Entropia.

I will let you get back to being flamed by the others.

-- Death to picture-sigs. --

• RleabRleab Member Posts: 30

well in the way of GOOD (or semi-good) goto www.planeshift.it it looks real good but they havent put combat in the beta yet and i think they hope to have combat put in by '04.And the BEST part is it will be completely free!!!

well thats my 2 Lincoln's.

---------
    Who said games rotted the mind?

---------
    Who said games rotted the mind?

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Originally posted by SatansDisciple

daoc is really good. i was just gonna play it til uo aos came out but now im hooked, might hafta play both at once.
    "give him the once over, in fact do it twice"
    -doc, cowboy bebop

I guess i'm the only one who didn't enjoy DAoC. To me all it was is a levelling treadmill so you could get to level 50 and do RvR. Personally for a newbie it's good yes. If you want a challenge with always different things to do FFXI is right up your ally. I constantly have stuff i have to do. In DAoC every time i logged in all i really had to do was level. And if your looking to group tough luck, everyone is level 50.

But just my opinnion

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
    In case you haven't noticed, they posted new screenshots at the official site.  Huge improvement in the graphics.  http://www.guildwars.com

Originally posted by GhostRaptor
    In case you haven't noticed, they posted new screenshots at the official site.  Huge improvement in the graphics.  http://www.guildwars.com

O MY LORD OF HEAVEN!

Is this really Guild War? It's beyond recognition.

I knew these guys gonna do something about the graphics.

It looks even better than that of WoW.

Thanks for your news. This is huge for me.

• GlottisGlottis Member Posts: 69

It's a MMORPG from the original battle.net architect, designer of games like Warcraft 2&3, Diablo 1&2, Starcraft, etc... 
    crap. free = kiddies (l33t dud3z, wtfomgdiekthx), kiddies = head ache. battle.net architecture not mmorpg. so stop hyping guild wars i'm sick of that.

Originally posted by Glottis

crap. free = kiddies (l33t dud3z, wtfomgdiekthx), kiddies = head ache. battle.net architecture not mmorpg. so stop hyping guild wars i'm sick of that.

A What?

GhostRaptor, I've just looked at your fanart work. Man you've got some talent.

Did you major in fine art or something?

Also when can we expect next screenshot series from Arena.net?

• BurnBabyBurnBurnBabyBurn Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Glottis

Dude its not going to be like Runescape or any 'crap' like that. Anyway you choose who you play with so you don't have to play with any of those 'type' of players that you hate so much, anyway take alot around you i have seen alot of 'kiddies' on these forums playing games like EVE etc so those 'kiddies' are going to be on any online game to date you cannot get rid of them they are a plague which must be purged.

Anyway this is LIKE battle.net its NOT battle.net som that means you cannot cheat no more and the overall preformace of it all will be like 10x better, this is the next generation of battle.net.

Originally posted by BurnBabyBurn

Anyway this is LIKE battle.net its NOT battle.net som that means you cannot cheat no more and the overall preformace of it all will be like 10x better, this is the next generation of battle.net.

Yeah Pretty much. Expect an advanced uber-battle.net sort of network that will accomodate hundreds if not thousands players without lag in one single game world. They even said 56ker will be able to enjoy this game although I have no idea how they will be able to achieve that.

• !~DarKMaN~!!~DarKMaN~! Member Posts: 8
    as long as a company gives me a solid game with gameplay that isnt repedative, ill pay the monthly fee, cuz lets be honest here 10-15 a month isnt really that bad if youve got a decent game backing it

**Bling ~ Bling**

**Bling ~ Bling**

GhostRaptor, I've just looked at your fanart work. Man you've got some talent.
    Did you major in fine art or something?
    Also when can we expect next screenshot series from Arena.net?

erm, well ... actually, if you refer to the wallpapers all I did was take some art off the official site(s) and arrange them in a simple manner.  They've since removed the art.  I really wish I could create art like that, but alas my talents lie elsewhere.  Technical drawing, I can do (though I haven't for a long, long time).  And I'd like to think that I can do decent web design, so long as I don't have to create the art myself.

• TuliusTulius Member Posts: 5

I noticed you guys didn't seem to notice the Roma Victor post someone else made. This is an interesting little indie game that is made interestingly enough by a gamer and some friends taking donations. What does this mean? It means sony can't tell them to throw the game out before it's ready like they did with SWG. It also means they can rework those graphics for as long as you guys take the trouble to complan on their forums. If you guys want to see graphics, register on the forums, and not only do you get to tell them what to do, but you get a shot at getting in on not just the beta test, but currently the beta testers are also given world editor tools, and I understand that the plan is to give them access to object design tools as well. This is your chance to DESIGN a game. Yeah, the graphics suck, but its in alpha right now, and they don't have any screenies of the graphics on full yet, unless you count the animations section, which has the best stuff on the market right now. Combine this with the unique world environment, combat engine, and no artificial "carebear" restrictions, and you have a game that may not be the best ever, but is definitely worth our interest. Oh, and did I mention that it's free? Still got a year to go before release though. :(

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    GuildWars won't have a monthly fee from what I understand... also there is a sticky post with a huge list of free MMO type games.

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

Thread Locked.

• Age Bump
    • Double Potings
    • Topic Answered.

Many of those who posted in this thread failed to read the thread and notice that what they posted had already been posted earlier.

- Malkavian image

"When you find youself sinking into Madness, dive" - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

This discussion has been closed.