Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

any one know when blue ray disc for computer game is out ?

lorddeath101lorddeath101 Member UncommonPosts: 315

Comments

• XxKnivesxXXxKnivesxX Member UncommonPosts: 188

how many people gonna upgrade / get new comp to run a cd..

._.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

If Sony ever sells a PS3 port on the PC, then ya there will be.  Its not terribly difficult either.  You have the PCI-e Cell Processor expansion, a blue ray drive, the min. settings set by Sony, and a $50 or so software thats a PS3 virtualizer.  I am sure many PC enthusiasts will buy into that, but Sony will never do it because they think the money is in the box that they lose $200 on each one sold, rather then a virtualizer that earns them $48.

• ironraptorironraptor Member UncommonPosts: 36

If I was a PC publisher I would try to avoid having to pay royalty fees to a competitor so I can distribute my games. And what is wrong with DVDs they cheaper then blue-rays to manufacture and does not require new hardware. By the time Blue-ray becomes a PC standard, it took years for PC publishers to adopt DVDs it be years if they even to decide to make another switch.

• Tyres100Tyres100 Member Posts: 704

You need a HDCP monitor in order to play them anyway if they had.

Who let you in the VIP section?

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

No reason for that. Most of the PS3's good games are cross-platform games in the first place, and those obviously fit on DVDs.

'nother point is, PC gaming is based all around initial installations. The benefit of a more spacious format is more about curbing disc-swapping than it is how many discs to fit in a case.

During the CD-Rom days we didn't mind multiple discs. The top two selling PC games today, WoW and Sims 2 mandate a lot of discs depending on how many expansions you have;  but you'll never see Blizzard or Maxis lament about topping the sales charts and wishing they could consolidate everything on Blu-ray.

• gexz7gexz7 Member Posts: 131

blue ray is a video format, I am not sure what the benefits would be for a PC game to being publcished on Blue Ray the only reason game publishers use DVD is becomes of the capacity 1 DVD vs 7 CD's other then that Blue Rays on video is good stuff

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Blueray won't replace DVD anytime soon. In fact most Blueray players upconvert DVD's into 1080p HD so besides the fact that they can fit all of the bs onto one disk rather than two there is no advantage to it. Personally I think that a different form of media, perhaps flash drives, which use a much smaller disk will come along before Blueray catches on enough to have to worry about getting a drive for your computer.