Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need "Linear" category

pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

I think a lot of us buy games with different expectations that what we finally end up with.  While games are clearly differentiated in their descriptions as being PVE or PVP-focused, there is one more category I think is just as important.

Call it "linear" or "openness" or "freedom" or whatever, but we need some classification that tells a player how much freedom is in the game or whether a game play is strongly driven (or even forced) by the devs.

Maybe the following four categories:

Sandbox:  Totally open, characters can alter environment. (ex. UO, Shadowbane)

Free Range:  Open, but environment is mostly static. (ex. EQ)

Quest-based:  Somewhat open or closed, but players are compelled to follow linear quest line for best experience or loot. (ex. WOW, Vanguard?, WAR)

Story-based:  Closed, players must complete chapters or quests to advance into new areas. (ex. LOTRO, AOC)

Something like that might help players narrow down their searches for the right MMO, especially if displayed as a sortable column (just like the PVP column).

Thoughts?

Comments

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

i doubt it, considering 90%+ of the games out atm are linear, it would make no sense to add yet another column. The ratio between linear vs sandbox is so large that it would be better for that person to just jump on the forums and ask in the "LFGame" Forum

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

To some of us, the measure of in-game freedom is more important than whether the game is PVE or PVP-focused.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

linear and sandbox's definitions are based on opinion, unless they gave definitions in their faq (which would be highly controversial, no matter what the definitions are). The only column i could see them adding is "skill based" and "level based". But even still, 95% of the games are going to level based anyways, so it really isnt helping you narrow things down.

Same thing goes for linear vs sandbox. How linear does a game have to be to be listed as linear? And how many sandbox features does a game need to be listed as a sandbox? It sounds like alot of work for a feature that wouldnt be very helpful, you can get more help by just makeing a thread asking which games are sandboxes ..... OR you can use the search button for sandbox games as well. There have been PLENTY of threads made about sandbox games.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -