Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best features from different MMO games

LenceLence Member CommonPosts: 109

What features did you like from different MMO games you played ?

Comments

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Guild Wars:

That I can just jump to another server instance for my language but can still jump back to English/French/German without paying a single dime for it.

And the way the have stayed pretty honest about their F2P model.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

FFXI Skill chain magic burst system, If a party is done right, every job will compliment the next, and together working in perfect unisin they can take out mobs that give tons of exp within a few seconds if they skill chain and magic burst effectively.

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716

i really think player quests in warhammer are something new and alot of fun

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

As much as I hate to say this, Sword of the new worlds Family system is one of the most innovative ideas iv ever seen in a mmorpg. Its simply spectacular how you can control 3 characters at once and effectve. Now If Sword of the new world was not such a crappy excuse for a total Korean grind fest game, I would probably be playing it now, but since its nothing more than a peace of shit grinder with almost no quests just pure Kill kill kill for 0000.1% exp to the next level per kill...well its a terrible game with a amazing idea, such a shame.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Asheron's Call 1's hybrid level/attribute/skill-based system, where level didn't matter.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

SWG Pre-Cu Jedi System -permadeath, tefs. bounties

SWG Pre-Cu Template Skill System

SWG Open Free Enviroment

SWG Customization

SWG Community (till NGE hit)

SWG Complex Crafting System

EVE Online Real Time Skill System

EVE Online- Realistic Economy

EVE Online  Great PVP

Star Quest Online- Endless Options, Open Ended Enviroment, Customization

Ryzom Crafting, Being able to master all skills in the game

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735

Lineage 2 - drama based PvP where you choose your enemies and fight them because you dislike them, not because they chose a race which has a red name to you.

Lineage 2 - raid setups (not the actual killing of a raid boss)..What I mean is in L2 there are various epic bosses which have a static respawn timer with a small window...so when a boss dies it is going to respawn in 8 days +/- a few hours, so when those 8 days come around, all the clans who want to kill it are going to show up and fight for it...its the most fun PvP possible in any game, and you have a real gain or loss if you win or lose....and lineage 2 mass PvP clan vs clan in general.

Earth and Beyond - server wide raids...you would need to know the basis of the game, it was PvE with a galaxy setup with gates similar to EVE or Jumpgate...well one of the gates opened up to a strange place filled with aggro aliens, and every so often a special mob would spawn outside the gate, if you attacked it, it would run away and go talk to its friends, then a few minutes later dozens or hundreds of mobs would pour through the gate and start attacking everyone, you would need multiple clansto fight them back...at the end if you were successful in the raid, you turn the mission in for whatever rewards...so its not like a BoP drop that everyone has to roll on and waste their time so 1 person can get it.

Tabula Rasa - Control points...basically little forts where NPC's are for items, quests, etc...where the enemy NPC race was scripted to attack in waves every so often..players would have to defend them, and often the enemy race would take over and get control of the CP, then your race would be scripted to attack it, and players would have to help take it back...Nothing like handing in a quest and seeing a ship drop off 20 aliens that start attacking the base your in, you hop up on a wall and start sniping or shooting grenade launchers at them, while you've got friendly turrets and mechwarriors blasting them away.....nothing quite like it in any other MMO, and if you got a full party and blast them away, its actually good exp.

Aion - skill combo chain system...lots of variety in skill rotations, different ones for different times, keeps you active and not just button mashing

Aion - character creation...seriously, no other MMO comes close.

Earth and Beyond - leveling, you had 3 different ways to level, exploration (explore the galaxy, take scientific/exploration missions), trading (trade loot to npcs, do trade runs to get money (ie: on one side of the galaxy there is an abundance of something, so its cheap, on the otherside theres a shortage, so NPC's buy it for more, you load up your ship with it, fly across and sell it for more than you bought it, gain money and experience), and of course combat exp.

thats all I can be bothered to think of now.

• lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

AC - Skill-based system
    AC - Random loot system
    EU - Crafting system
    WoW - Combat system
    NexusTK - PvP system
    Lotro - Story/Lore

If anyone ever released a game that had all this, I would play it until they shut it down.

Playing - Minecraft, 7 Days To Die, Darkfall:ROA, Path of Exile

Waiting for - 

• birkenbirken Member Posts: 122

Vanguard,

Has a great crafting system yet hard.

The Content is huge and many many quests.

Lots of  Mounts and items.

Great graphics.

EQ,

Kiting system.

Pvp System.

Classes and races.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

CoH and partly in AOC. You can apprentice team members up to one level below you. Or buddy them down to one level above you.

WAR. The Tome, a way of organising lore online for you to read it, keeping track of quests, titles etc. Party Quests, designed for players to come along and just team up, you see the teams playing on a list and can just join them. Not certain about that system out side PQ’s though.

AoC. The guild keep, sieges. NPC speech. Targetless melee combat.

WoW. The power tree system, their method of crafting.

AO. Best player built mods.

DAOC. best RvR.

LotR. Implementation of lore. Raids that make you think.

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735

oh, 1 more thing i'll add about EnB is an actual changing storyline/world (galaxy) the devs were writing the story as you went along, they would change the zones as the story progresses, maybe more aliens, maybe after successful raids the players drove the enemy away, etc...it was like being in a book, its an amazing and would seem simple concept to be added to a MMORPG, yet sadly its hardly in any.

• hydrasnakehydrasnake Member Posts: 44

Perfect World-Character creation, able to fly and swim and do jumps and flips.

Silkroad-character classes

One day the world as we know it will come to an end. It also happens to be the day you die.-me

"Do to the lack experienced trumpeters the end of the world has been postponed." –Unknown

http://dragcave.net/user/hydrasnake

click please

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

Dungeons and Dragons Online:

The way they handled the various traps and the related thief skills.

When you block with a shield it actually blocks (arrows, a giant's club, etc.) You could place a sturdy character with a shield in a doorway and control the fight

You can dodge arrows and ray attacks with timing

Taking cover and gaining higher ground are actually viable options

Dozens of spells/attacks and one of the most intriguing character development systems around

City of Heroes/Villains:

Flying, Super Jump, Teleportation. Vibrant combat with knockback, explosions, and nice effects. Yes, please

Best character creation (visually) around

Unfortunately they are both locked into instances...

• ZarraaZarraa Member Posts: 481

No one title represents the best in any area I find important so this is the short list.

1)  Sane sandbox elements: (UO / SWG Pre CU / EVE).

2)  Raid Content: sense of danger, open world, (EQ1Circa 1999/2002 / AC) .

3)  RVR: DAOC (pre Atlantis)

4)  PVP: Guild Wars / L2

4) Character creation: (CoX / Perfect World.)

5) Skills system: loadout system MxO/ GW / AC / CoX.

6) Models: (L2 / GW / Aion.)

7) Environments: Vanguard/ GW/ LOTRO

8) AI: Ryzom, GW, CoX,

9) Sound: Guild Wars / EQ2/ Granado Espada

Dutchess Zarraa Voltayre
    Reborn/Zero Sum/Ancient Legacy/Jagged Legion/Feared/Nuke & Pave.

• JenakaJenaka Member Posts: 56

SWG -housing system, creature handlers  and character customization

Vanguard-wide variety of races and classes, huge world and dynamic weather

LOTRO-story and lore, atmosphere

Ryzom-mob AI and imaginative environments

WOW-music and humor 

• Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Member Posts: 638

i love this topic, and post every time it comes up lol...... here we go!

EQ1- fear of death, no map (have to learn your way around just like RL), challenge, tight knit community resulting from forced grouping.  The adventure of leveling was the game.. not end game which is more limited.

SWG- non instanced player housing and cities, sandbox character building, great RP environment.  Serious crafting system... the way gear should be made.

L2- great PvP system, with realistic penalties/rewards.  Great open world with an epic feel.

EQ2- well uh.... um..... hmm........ cant really come up with anything on that one! I played for about a year anyway =( oh... wait.... mentoring and the ability to

WoW- highest quality MMO ever made, great PvE content and options, instanced dugeons provide challenging group content, very easily accessible so its easy to convince friends and family to play with you.  More options for what to do end-game then any other MMO.

CoX- awesome character customization options

LOTRO- High quality, nice game world and graphics

Vanguard- great classes, nice game world, open feel... lots of good ideas that never really got implemented =(

GW- nice animations and graphics, rich world/lore

Cant really come up with any good contributions from AoC or WAR. 

Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!
    EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
    Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

• ganbeeganbee Member Posts: 233

Neocron: The ability to drive you and buddies around in a armored vehical, and the ability to shoot from said vehical(halo style).

• Dpogie97Dpogie97 Member Posts: 1

Runescape-  As bad as a game it is, the one thing I enjoyed about it were all of the different skills offered.  They had skills and stuff to do covering everything from building a house, to hunting animals.  This made it so whenever I got bored doing one thing, I could just move onto a new skill.  Even though getting exp in all of these skills was just grinding, all the variety and content in the skills disguised the grinding as fun.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Collections from SWG is actually a really fun system that I want to see more of in mmorpgs.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

WoW UI customization.

WoW Auction House.

WoW talent trees (I know it isn't the first game with talent trees)

WoW crafting & resouce gathering (not because it would be finest system, but because it works very well as part of the whole game)

Dofus battle system.

Lotro quests.

Lotro achievement system.

City of Heroas character customization

Lotro graphics

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Saga of Ryzom:   Interesting Crafting mechanics

WurmOnline:  Crafting mechanics where you could control the world.   Remove a hill, mine a tunnel through a mountain(so you wouldn't need to go through it), build your own towns.   And at the same time keeping all these mechanics in the hands of individual players.

EvE:  Market economy that is 'almost' as reasonable as a RL one.

Secondlife:  Character customization.   You can literally turn yourself into a dragon or make your character look exactly like RL yourself.   Scripting systems that let you make the world how you want and in ways the developers never expected.

WoW:  Understand what a real design methodolgy is.   They realize there's more than a collection of cool mechanics and that you need to take your bussiness aspects into account as well.   They are the only developers who have an actualized design methodolgy.     That's not to say it's a good game it's just to say that they actually know what they are doing at every step of the game making process.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

Only one I'm going to add right now:

DAOC - RvR system.  Still the best PvP design in an MMO.  Safe PvE in the realms, open PvP in the frontiers, best compromise IMO.  DAOC 2, with some improvements and added features, would've been really interesting.  The two things that I felt like they really needed to add were:

1) The possibility of breaking into the enemies realm and having free reign until you're expelled.

2)  More significant objectives to fight over in the frontier, like high end resources, PvE dungeons, towns...

Other than that, I'd remove that ridiculous PvE grind that DAOC had and make it some sort of skill based system or mulit-class system. 

• ArkystArkyst Member Posts: 54

1. Final Fantasy XI Job System.

From the sub job quests, to unlocking new jobs through a story line, to switching jobs on the fly whenever the whim struck you.

No Alt characters, sign me up!

2. Final Fantasy  XI Cut Scenes and Story Progession.

Nothing like bringing the feel of a single player role-playing game to a mass scale.

3. World of Warcrafts' Intro Fly By.

It may have been small and albeit, needed a touch more, but the intro fly by when logging in for the first time helped to set a mood.

4. Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Tome of Knowledge.

Seeing a complete break down of your characters life is an ingenious idea.

• gakcenaspegakcenaspe Member Posts: 1

I know I am suppose to list special features about different MMOs I played, but frankly I guess there seems to be no new feature in MMOs that is worth to point-out, except this new F2P MMORPG called Atlantica Online which introduces this turn-based battle system that is unlike your typical MMOs that are slash-and-hack type game which is getting to old.