Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online: Sounds a lot like Darkfall...

NetzokoNetzoko Member Posts: 1,271

As you may have noticed, today Mortal Online was listed here. The overview description is as follows...

"There are no PvP zones, only an open realistic world where you are free to choose your own path. Experience true real-time combat where you decide every move your character makes and where your personal skill really matters.

Build your own house, or set up a guild to build a keep. With enough power, violence or diplomacy, you and your allies will be able to rule an entire nation. "

First person? Realtime combat? Player housing, cities? Total freedom?

Anyone else think this seems a ton like Darkfall? Either way i'm looking forward to hearing more about it, maybe MMOs arn't totally going down the tubes.

-------------------------

Comments

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by Netzoko
    Anyone else think this seems a ton like Darkfall? Either way i'm looking forward to hearing more about it, maybe MMOs arn't totally going down the tubes.

Just ask what you'd like to know :)
    Although all this "total freedom" has its consequences - and that's great ;)

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• KelathosKelathos Member Posts: 73

It would be nice if someone took a bunch of good ideas, and applied a meaningful budget to produce them. Where Darkfall might never have the production quality required to thrive, perhaps Mortal Online can succeed.

IF SV had enough funds to buy license for UE3, they should have enough to develop their game ;)

--
    /thread

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Im hoping for  both games to succeed becuse im so damn friggin tired of all the themepark MMO's outhere.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Both ? Did you forget about earthrise and fallen earth ? :>

--
    /thread

• KienKien Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Netzoko

As you may have noticed, today Mortal Online was listed here. The overview description is as follows...
    "There are no PvP zones, only an open realistic world where you are free to choose your own path. Experience true real-time combat where you decide every move your character makes and where your personal skill really matters.
    Build your own house, or set up a guild to build a keep. With enough power, violence or diplomacy, you and your allies will be able to rule an entire nation. "

There's a thirst right now for sandbox games. There is also a thirst for games where players can have a meaningful impact upon the game world. It should be no surprise that several companies are trying to pile into this void.

I would be careful about implying that MO is a clone of DF. Very few people have seen the beta version.

• ganbeeganbee Member Posts: 233

Sounds like darfall and looks like AOC, judging only buy 1 screenshot I have seen. I do however think it is a little early to be selling T-shrits.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

that would make it JUST like DF.....very few people have seen the beta version, lol.

• behindtheedbehindtheed Member Posts: 66

It's simmilar to darkfall in the sense it's geared towards PvP, freedom, and sandbox gameplay. though all I've seen from mortal online is a list of features, so we can just hope they don't remove most, or slaughter them in an attempt to please the vocal majority.

Darkfall is further in it's development by far, and it seems their keeping the features they promised. Now we just need to see if they can impliment it well into the game, so they dont crash and burn.

I wouldn't get my hopes up to much for MO, it's at least a full year, probably more away from being ready - assuming they don't face any unforseen delays. so for MO it's kind of two big "ifs", if they keep the content promised in game and finish developing the game, and if it's implimented properly.

I'd say to early to tell if it has potential.

I'd guess more like 2-3 years. 

They bought an engine, so they cut down some dev time there...but they have a long, long way to go.

They've been at it for what? a year or so before this?

Originally posted by daelnor
    I'd guess more like 2-3 years. 

They bought an engine, so they cut down some dev time there...but they have a long, long way to go.

They've been at it for what? a year or so before this?
    So you think every game is going to be developed for ~10 years basing on aventurine's practices?
    SV is actively developing MO for 3 years. They started to create foundations over 6 yrs ago.
    Does release date in 2009 now sound reasonable ?

--
    /thread

AOC, taken 5 years to create.  About lvl 40 my buddy whom I was running with in-game turned to me and said 5 years? I said yeah looks like this was an office space moment, where they only put in an actual 15 min's of work all weak!

No, it doesn't sound that reasonable.

And no, I don't think every MMO should take 10 years in development.

But an experienced dev group starting from scratch will take 4-5 years to develop a game.

Working from someone elses engine with an experienced dev team will still take 3-4 years.

This is an inexperienced team working with someone elses engine.  Judging from what they have shown and what they expect to have, I would estimate at least 3.5-4 year cycle, maybe a wee bit longer as long as they don't run out of money.

Just like most devs will say  "we should be releasing next year" almost inevitably turns into "2-3 years after the original estimated deadline."

The exception being korean grinders which basically reskin the same game and repackage it, or the rare one like WAR...which still basically upgraded DAOC, reskinned it and added some different features, but still used the same engine they have been working with for near a decade now.

Next question?

This is off-topic,

It does seam relevant here. Does anyone think stargate worlds was made a little to quickly? Seams like yesterday I was folowing it and it is coming out soon? Same goes for Earthrise. I can see short development time for  something like star trek, since it was already being developed.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by ganbee

This is off-topic,
    It does seam relevant here. Does anyone think stargate worlds was made a little to quickly? Seams like yesterday I was folowing it and it is coming out soon? Same goes for Earthrise. I can see short development time for  something like star trek, since it was already being developed.

Not sure about SG, but from what I have read about MO and Earthrise they both have been worked on since 2005. They've only recently bee announced which is why it would seem to some that when you see/hear a 2009 planned release you don't believe it. These companies, though, are just waiting 3/3.5 years into working on them to announce them, which is a good move I think.

Looking at the in-game footage video of MO, providing they have 75% if not all (with respect to launch) assets in and any quests they want in, I could fully see them at a point where they are refining gameplay systems, like housing (personal and guild), crafting, mounts and PvP.

Summer 2009 (the launch time frame on the official site) isn't that far off. I hope they are at a polish and quality state with all the listed features at that time. If this game launches and has a US launch I will give it a play for sure.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• pamkhatpamkhat Lord of the Rings Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 39

I like the art in MO a lot more than I do in Darkfall.  Well, at least what I've seen of the two games.  I think the half-orcs look really neat in MO.  Whereas, I don't really like the way some of the races look in Darkfall.  Since I haven't played either that's all I can really say XD.

I write things for the Examiner as the MMO Examiner.

• XositeXosite Member Posts: 4

Here is a link to a sneak peek of in game video. Its only a glimps so dong get all hostile. Also its in sweed.

http://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/shared/mediacenter/index.jsp?&d=37591&a=1308943

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Xosite

Here is a link to a sneak peek of in game video. Its only a glimps so dong get all hostile. Also its in sweed.

http://svt.se/svt/road/Classic/shared/mediacenter/index.jsp?&d=37591&a=1308943

What are the nationatlity of the people in this vid?

Originally posted by TheHavok
    What are the nationatlity of the people in this vid?

http://www.starvault.se/about.php

--
    /thread

• achellisachellis Member Posts: 542

i think Mortal is going to be what Darkfall promised to be 4 years ago, just with a more real feeling to it, with the first person and everything.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

Would be nice to get more information ....and not watch people chasing after these company's for information crumbs.

more info about Mortal?

Originally posted by achellis
    more info about Mortal?
    U got enough info on MO forums.
    Enough guts to come there by yourself ?

--
    /thread

Originally posted by joshe

Originally posted by achellis

more info about Mortal?
    U got enough info on MO forums.

Enough guts to come there by yourself ?

i wasnt saying i needed more info i was asking the other guy if he need more info.

This discussion has been closed.