Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

December 08 State of the World

philz50philz50 Roma Victor CorrespondentMember Posts: 67

Growing Roma Victor

The development team has spent most of its time in recent weeks on creating and enhancing the free trial experience. The free trial will run alongside Roma Victor as we know it and will consist of two separate islands that are not directly connected to the live Southern Caledonia (SEC) playfield. The Attending process will take place entirely on these islands for both guests and full participants although only accounts that have participant status will be able to transfer their characters to SEC. Neither items nor sesterces can be transferred between the trial islands and SEC. Also, skill development is capped on the islands and once a character has left it will naturally not be able to return.

We believe that one of the most significant barriers to Roma Victor really taking off is its rather modest population - many features would be much more fun and self-balancing if the population were a bit higher. We therefore feel quite strongly that making the game easy to get into is the most important thing to tackle first. So we've been spending quite a lot of time really trying to make this trial/newbie/attending process as smooth, fun and easy to learn as possible. As soon as the free trial is live, which might even happen before the end of this month/year, we will invite existing participants to create a new guest account, check out the process and let us know what you think because we are of course most keen to solicit the opinions of the real experts.

One of the added benefits of moving the Attending process into the trial islands is that we'll be able to clear up much of the low-level junk associated with learning the ropes from the starter settlements, which should actually make quite a significant performance improvement for extremely busy places like Corstopitum - particularly for those with older or lower specification computers.

Also, as some of you have noticed, I've recently been spending some time away from development in an effort to try and grow RedBedlam, which we need to do in order to expand our resources. We're a small independent developer but we still have great ambitions for Roma Victor and stepping things up a gear is important to all of us. To that end, and among many other things, we've taken on some extra help and in the coming weeks and months we hope to be providing more regular and concise communications, improved moderation and some long-awaited feature updates.

We really do appreciate the continued support of all Roma Victor participants and contributors. At times it may seem like some of the development team aren't listening, or are perhaps distracted by other priorities, but please take it from me that our devotion and commitment to this project has never faltered. On a personal level I have been pouring time, money and countless sleepless nights into this project for well over eight years now and I will go on doing so for as long as I continue to be inspired by the dedication, loyalty, patience and support of all of those who have played and worked on Roma Victor during that time.

And on that note, let's take a brief and non-exhaustive look at the changes implemented since my last SotW and some of the other things we've got to look forward to:

Recently Implemented Server Changes

• Facepainting
  • Global mail and graffiti
  • Access levels for guild warchests
  • Jobs and the Labour Exchange
  • Rumours
  • Villages
  • Patrols
  • Territorial conquest
  • Much more too numerous to mention - please see the server changelog thread for further details

Upcoming Server Changes

• Implementation of the trial/starter islands and free trial accounts
  • Shifting the Attending process to the trial islands
  • Both aesthetic and functional improvement to Elysium
  • Improvements to cooking, diet and its effects
  • An improved construction system paving the way for more structures including streets and fortifications
  • Line, net and rod fishing
  • Combat rankings and battle reports

Other items planned and underway

• Boats
  • Injuries and injury treatment
  • Improvements to animal handling and domestication including breeding etc.
  • Battlecries
  • Guild alliances and further support for guildwars
  • Furniture
  • Combustion
  • Player music
  • Hair and beards
  • Tattoos
  • Mounts

Client changes and fixes due in an imminent update

• Fix for third-person character animation bug (partially taking on other character's animations)
  • Improved client-side buffering
  • Significantly decreased chances of both the 'missing building' and 'jump' bugs occurring
  • Limitations on climbing very steep slopes in order to add realism and increase the strategic importance of gradients including bridges, fords, ramparts etc.

The subsequent client version will include further optimisations and fixes including, among other things, an improvement to the dynamic lighting system.

Thanks!

-KFR

Comments

• kitesurferkitesurfer Member Posts: 2

Darkfall will kill this game.

• raizzeenraizzeen Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by kitesurfer

darkfall is nothing but pure failure

• philz50philz50 Roma Victor CorrespondentMember Posts: 67
    Originally posted by kitesurfer

Then go play it.  Darkfall is a fantasy game with elves and magic.  Some people are actually not interested in that.

• PwnedSidewayPwnedSideway Member Posts: 60

I'd rather play Pong than this. I watched a video on youtube, and man are the graphics complete shit and looks boring (all I saw was running around).

Playing:
    Waiting for: Earthrise, SW:TOR

Maybe all you saw of the game was running around because that is all that's in the video, not because that is all there is in the game.

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235
    Originally posted by philz50

Maybe all you saw of the game was running around because that is all that's in the video, not because that is all there is in the game.

OK I'll calll your bluff. Show us a current exciting fraps.

Gladiatorial games last month:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8DqMj_IR10

Perhaps someone has misunderstood.  I did not claim RV is a fast-paced, action packed game that is like a FPS with spears.  RB is none of the above.  I claimed there is more to do than just run around.

RV is part sandbox-style game, part historical MMO, and part ancient life sim.  It is not an instant gratification hack and slash.  It is much more about working together with others to achieve goals.

The game is not complete, and has some aggravating problems.  It has a long way to go before anyone could claim it is a finished product.  However, there is more to do than run around.

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

Perhaps someone has misunderstood.  I did not claim RV is a fast-paced, action packed game that is like a FPS with spears.  RB is none of the above.  I claimed there is more to do than just run around.
    RV is part sandbox-style game, part historical MMO, and part ancient life sim.  It is not an instant gratification hack and slash.  It is much more about working together with others to achieve goals.
    The game is not complete, and has some aggravating problems.  It has a long way to go before anyone could claim it is a finished product.  However, there is more to do than run around.

The video speaks for itself about the quality of this MMOG.

If it is unfinished and has a long way to go, then why are players expected to pay for the privilege to beta test it? And don't get me started on their RMT system. The game is a complete failure.

I don't know.  I didn't make the game, and I don't run it.  I play it.  I am not satisfied with the state of the game, but I still like it and find it unique in a world of cookie-cutter fantasy games.

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541

Phil, i am looking for something different, I am so fucking tired of spell chucking and androgynous elf MMOs past present and future. I was looking for a good sci fi MMO but since there appears to be a wait and I have always had an interest in history so you have my attention.

So is there going to be a free trial? How much is the Roma Victor USD? How historically accurate is the world? I can stand some fantasy in my history as long as you don't have legionaires wearing full plate carrying 6 yard swords.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

The game is so realistic you might as well start making crap irl than playing on a pc :)

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by Airspell

The game is so realistic you might as well start making crap irl than playing on a pc :)

Well I do have a grape vine in the back yard but it is a little cold for a toga.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

Supposedly RB's #1 priority right now is a trial server.  The vast majority of the playerbase is not very happy about it.  Players would always rather see bug fixes and content added. 

RomaVictor is definitely not for everyone.  There are no flashy graphics, the game has a significant amount of bugs, and it is simply a long way from being complete.  I would actually describe it as more of an ancient life sim than anything else.  It can be time consuming and tedious to get things done, because of the efforts to make the processes realistic.  It takes patience, that's for sure.  Gamers who are looking for a fast-paced game where they can be killing bad guys at every turn and getting gobs of loot will not like RV.

I love the game (and hate it sometimes) but I would recommend waiting for the free trial.  If they are going to bother making one, everyone who is interested should try it out for free to see if they like it, rather than roll the dice by purchasing an account.

The game world is very realistic, including the geography, architecture, and so on.  They just need to make more of the stuff craftable. 

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

Those look like commodore 64 graphics. And the battles only last 5 seconds. It doesn't look fun to me.

The fact that combat can be over in 5-10 seconds is a major complaint of PvPers, particularly when combat often involves lengthy travel times to enemy territory.  However, RB stubbornly holds onto that concept, completely ignoring all the player feedback and pleas for tweaks and simple adjustments that would give players the opportunity to enjoy a fight for a bit longer.

So, your observation is correct.  I cannot explain why RB does it that way or justify them ignoring the mountains of negative player feedback on that particular issue.

Graphics are definitely not one of RV's strengths.  Players who place great importance on top quality graphics will not be happy with RV, that is for sure.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

I agree with Philz,

I enjoy the game.   I dont like the current state of the game.    But I am not all into ferries elves, magic and such.   

So much crap, so little quality.

• KemarikKemarik Member Posts: 122

Combat over in 5 to 10 seconds? You left out just a few things:

- Planning the route over which to move troops to maximize surprise

- Dividing up forces into small groups travelling seperately in order to minimize detection

- Dealing with the occasional bandits, wolves, and bears that sometimes come out of nowhere (especially in dense woods at night)

- Performing some recon on every settlement you pass through, friendly or enemy, to see what they're up to

- Sending out scouts ahead of your main force to find enemies and determine who they are and what their combat skill may be

- Deploying some decoy soldiers to attempt to divide the enemy (although this usually does not work too well)

- Finding ground which might offer a tactical advantage or maybe at least minimize your enemy's tactical advantages

- Determining whether there is a reasonable chance of success before committing to the battle and weighing the risks (loss of valuable armor/weapons) versus the gains (prestige)

- Deploying your force into a somewhat organized formation putting your veterans in the front line and establishing reserves

- Deploying a flanking force that uses cover to advance from behind (a fighter is easier to hit when he is not facing you)

- Forming a defensive perimeter if you are successful in the engagement in order to allow some to collect loot

- Patching up some of your injured with treatment skills and materials

- Chasing down any enemy survivors who have run away

- Performing an orderly exit of the area to minimize the chance of ambushes by respawning enemy

- Upon returning home, putting the loot in your trophy area with all the rest and then talking forever with your guild mates about your great deeds past and present :-)

All of the above can (and probably should) be performed with as few as 4 or 5 soldiers in your force.  I have seen it done with 10 to 15 when roman guilds have teamed up to fight.

• philjwillphiljwill Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Kemarik

Combat over in 5 to 10 seconds? You left out just a few things:
    - Planning the route over which to move troops to maximize surprise

- Dividing up forces into small groups travelling seperately in order to minimize detection

- Dealing with the occasional bandits, wolves, and bears that sometimes come out of nowhere (especially in dense woods at night)

- Performing some recon on every settlement you pass through, friendly or enemy, to see what they're up to

- Sending out scouts ahead of your main force to find enemies and determine who they are and what their combat skill may be

- Deploying some decoy soldiers to attempt to divide the enemy (although this usually does not work too well)

- Finding ground which might offer a tactical advantage or maybe at least minimize your enemy's tactical advantages

- Determining whether there is a reasonable chance of success before committing to the battle and weighing the risks (loss of valuable armor/weapons) versus the gains (prestige)

- Deploying your force into a somewhat organized formation putting your veterans in the front line and establishing reserves

- Deploying a flanking force that uses cover to advance from behind (a fighter is easier to hit when he is not facing you)

- Forming a defensive perimeter if you are successful in the engagement in order to allow some to collect loot

- Patching up some of your injured with treatment skills and materials

- Chasing down any enemy survivors who have run away

- Performing an orderly exit of the area to minimize the chance of ambushes by respawning enemy

- Upon returning home, putting the loot in your trophy area with all the rest and then talking forever with your guild mates about your great deeds past and present :-)

All of the above can (and probably should) be performed with as few as 4 or 5 soldiers in your force.  I have seen it done with 10 to 15 when roman guilds have teamed up to fight.

I recently tried RV again, got disappointed.

I joined in on a fairly big (for RV raid) We travelled for over an hour because of my low fitness and getting people online and in the same place)

Our arrival at the 18th board was greeted with complete and utter silence, not a single member on the board, and since combustion isn't in, we couldn't do anything.

Eventually we started duelling among ourselves, at which point a single roman came onto the board and we all crashed because the server died.

Combat wasn't over in 5 to 10 seconds, it never happened.

Now, on to real business.. Darkfall will almost certainly kill RV, The hundred has reformed and now counts almost 60 players from RV, past and present ones, among others the entire Barbarian faction and a great deal of romans. Even Vlad has joined us now. There is an invitation up for anyone who has played RV.

I love the "combat is over in 5-10sec."  gripes....

Have any of you been in a fight with swords, spears, bows, or anyother leathel form of melee weapon?

One thing I learned from years doing both the SCA, and WMA, is that a fight is often over before it starts.    I have walked a mile in full chainmail armor, with my shield straped to my arm and my mace over my shoulder with my helm hanging off of it.   To stand in the sun for a hour and half waiting for everyone else to trickle up to the field.   Get formed up, and then begin the battle.....  only to die within the first 5 seconds of combat.      Then there is times I have lived through the WHOLE battle, in some cases 45+ minutes... and trust me I wish I were dead by the end of it.    I would be bruised, battered, tired, and probly bleeding by the end of it all... but I had fun.     

Most melee combat isnt a run and gun style of fighting like today, were fights are often lasting 10-60seconds.... they lasted at most, once initiated,  30 seconds maybe a minute.    And large battles could rage for hours,   but the same can be said about todays battles....  

The only thing I like about RV, is the way it takes a bit of skill, and a bit of luck to survive combat.   Much like real life.

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

So according to your estimates, fighting is very unrealistic in RV and that's why you like it ?

Airspell...

Actually, if you passed reading comprehension you would understand that it depends on the size of the battle depends on the time it would take.     Seeing as most RV fights are less than 5 on 5.   Then yes they should be over in a matter of minutes.   And most are.     One on One fights should be over in a matter of seconds, most of the time.   And they are.     

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955
    Originally posted by Hodo

Have any of you been in a fight with swords, spears, bows, or anyother leathel form of melee weapon?

I don't care if 5 second battles are more realistic. Walking for an hour to fight a 5 second battle isn't fun. Thats why nobody plays this game.

• DrDevilpatchDrDevilpatch Member Posts: 11

I used to love this game:)

"AoC is a benchmark MMO" -Gamespot.com

• The_HulksterThe_Hulkster Member Posts: 16

Of all the people that play this game, only a handful comment here.

• AllTheZiosAllTheZios Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by ghoul31

Originally posted by Hodo

I don't care if 5 second battles are more realistic. Walking for an hour to fight a 5 second battle isn't fun. Thats why nobody plays this game.

No one plays the game because the game doesn't function correctly. It never did.

No one plays the game because KFR banned a tenth of the population.

No one plays the game because Vlad is fat.

No one plays the game because implementation of features took years to finally get finished, and they STILL aren't finished.

No one plays the game because (and this is the big one) no one plays the game. Seeing a huge world utterly devoid of anything resembling a playerbase isnt good for morale, let me tell you.