Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People so Rude

GidSlackGidSlack Member Posts: 173

I've been playing Runescape off and on for a few months, and it's really too bad how rude the community is.   This is a great game with a lot of depth, and, with the updated graphics, the monthly price ($5.95) is a complete bargain.

But the community is the rudest I've ever encountered in an online game, even on the members' servers.

Out of nowhere, at least 2 or 3 times a session, people will call you a "freakin' noob" because of your equipment, or because you try a skill that is above your level.  The level of gratituous hostility to new players is unbelievable. 

My question is:  why is Runescape like this?  Are there other games out there that are this bad?  Was there ever a time when Runescape had a positive community?

Comments

• AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

RS is like that because of quite a few reasons, one of them is that it's easily accessible for kids to get on because of it being browser based and free. Another one could be because they target it towards kids sometimes.

I wasn't there but from what I have heard it had an OK community in RSC and the early days of RS2.

WoW and MapleStory and a few others have bad communities.

?

• RuneScapezRuneScapez Member Posts: 5

To be honest, what can Jagex actually do to stop things like this?

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716

biggest reason why there is a bad community is because it is free.  wow has a bad community but also has 12 million players so u run into alot more different ppl. runescape isnt that big

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353

Yeah the community in RS used to be very good. Nowadays its like when Pokemon comes to mind and you think "WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?" A long time ago there used to be lots of chat and stuff at fishing, mining spots ,etc and everyone was so friendly throwing drop parties and stuff everywhere. Then, I got on recently and found the spots relatively quiet with people not even bothering to say hello to the person next to them, its like people have gone solo...I even learned a new word after a group of people called me it after I asked a few questions about some changes. The word was "Choob" which is apparently a old player coming back that doesnt know what the hell they're doing.

To think. All I did was ask a few questions and they started taunting me for atleast 3 hours. Some guy even started following me repeating "Choob" over and over which got old real fast and forced me to change servers in the end. I just don't understand some people.

• GidSlackGidSlack Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Boneman
    Then, I got on recently and found the spots relatively quiet with people not even bothering to say hello to the person next to them, its like people have gone solo..

I currently have all chat channels muted -- for every friendly person you meet and talk to, there are 10 others griefing you.

The thing is, with the changes Jagex made to combat RMT -- the Grand Exchange and limiting trades -- they removed any need to interact with other people to advance in the game.  They have actually created the ultimate solo MMO.

This works for me.  I am playing the game casually in my browser, doing only the PvE (farming, crafting etc.).  At some point if I want to find a group I guess I will do that off Runescape somewhere. 

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by GidSlack

Originally posted by Boneman
    Then, I got on recently and found the spots relatively quiet with people not even bothering to say hello to the person next to them, its like people have gone solo..

I currently have all chat channels muted -- for every friendly person you meet and talk to, there are 10 others griefing you.

The thing is, with the changes Jagex made to combat RMT -- the Grand Exchange and limiting trades -- they removed any need to interact with other people to advance in the game.  They have actually created the ultimate solo MMO.

This works for me.  I am playing the game casually in my browser, doing only the PvE (farming, crafting etc.).  At some point if I want to find a group I guess I will do that off Runescape somewhere. 

Yeah if I ever comeback I'm gonna mute everything too. There's always noobs who look at either your level or gear and start begging for cash, going to the point where they threaten to report you for no reason.

I heard with the removal of wilderness clans took a major hit too, especially the AntiRPKing (which I think stands for Rogue Player Killing) clans like the "Wilderness Guardians" that were made especially to protect innocents from getting pk'd in the wildy. Now that everything's "Safe" or "Child Friendly" what's left to protect?

• TanqueTanque Member UncommonPosts: 46

The game always had people calling others noobs but not as much as now.

I just can't find myself to play it now since i can't even give anything to my friends,i used to give them birthday runescape gifts now i can't.

But the truth is that everything wasn't perfect before,i had friends who got banned for giving money to other friends because jagex tought that it was another account.

There was a point where me and my friends were afraid to give stuff because we could get banned.

But the truth is that the game was much more fun,i played for around 4-5 years and only got to lvl 80 because i would just go around the world doing random stuff not leveling my skills at all.I got to lvl 80 by training with my friends it sure was fun and i actualy would go to the wild with some materials and friends and we would distribute jobs for everyone,one would get food,the other would make armour,the only thing we could do was log out to avoid being killed(if you get attacked you can't log out so there was always a fear)and we could not leave the wild.

Good Times indeed.

• Palo_godPalo_god Member UncommonPosts: 171

The community is as bad as it is because after they created the wilderness back in RSC people began to lose respect for other players since they had nothing to fear, before that if someone talked smack somebody ells would kill them and take all of their stuff. Another reason why the community is so bad is because its constantly babied and also because jagex advertises on children sites.

• NalestomNalestom Member Posts: 47

I remember when RuneScape used to be a very pleasant game to play with a fairly good community, but the last time I played it, I logged out within 10 minutes because I was so disgusted with the community. I mean, there were people who seemed to come online just to taunt people and insult them, not to actually play the game.

The only way I can think of at the moment that would change the game back to the way it was is if another company (one that actually knows how to run a MMORPG and knows what the community wants) buy's Jagex out.

• MR.man2MR.man2 Member Posts: 18

I agree the Runescape community is not the nicest around I think some reasons are.

1.Most people who play Runescape know that many hate that runescape1 gone so they try to make the community worse to get the staffs attention.

2.Everyone knows it's easy to break rules in Runscape because unless you actually cuss or One of the moderters see you will not get in trouble.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

I've been playing Runescape off and on for a few months, and it's really too bad how rude the community is.   This is a great game with a lot of depth, and, with the updated graphics, the monthly price ($5.95) is a complete bargain.

But the community is the rudest I've ever encountered in an online game, even on the members' servers.

Out of nowhere, at least 2 or 3 times a session, people will call you a "freakin' noob" because of your equipment, or because you try a skill that is above your level.  The level of gratituous hostility to new players is unbelievable. 

My question is:  why is Runescape like this?  Are there other games out there that are this bad?  Was there ever a time when Runescape had a positive community?

Seriously how can you stay in that awful game knowing how bad the community is??.....There are tons of free games better than Runescape........It took me about 5 minutes to see what a garbage game RUnescape is and how bad the community was........There was more swearing and foul language in 10 minutes than I have encountered in 8 years of MMOs (and I am not exaggerating).

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Runescape has the worst community in the world.  Bar non.

But that does have an up side, at least most of the morons are in one place (in runescape) and not in other games you might enjoy :P

• kel766kel766 Member Posts: 47

Runescape is reallly the only free mmorpg out there, it is the closest mmorpg to real life, free trade - huge scams - i actualy scammed 2Mill. It teaches players to be careful, and how it is in hte real world. PvP is free also.

• caemsgcaemsg Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by kel766
    Runescape is reallly the only free mmorpg out there, it is the closest mmorpg to real life, free trade - huge scams - i actualy scammed 2Mill. It teaches players to be careful, and how it is in hte real world. PvP is free also.

um when did you last play runescape?? that or you are butchering some sarcasm all that stuff is gon down the drain cant scam because of 1 the rules 2 the fact that you can only gain or lose a certain ammount of cash in a day
    well PVP maybe i havent tried out the PVP worlds though i did find that the super low population members are relatively void of harassment infact the super low pop members worlds have an ok community that will talk to you and actually help you if you ask questions sure there is the odd piece of turd that you would love to PK but other wise its not bad
    where the high pop worlds are the total opposite and it seams that every other person is a turd fresh from the arsehole

• xusheng2xusheng2 Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by AkaJetson

WoW and MapleStory and a few others have bad communities.

WoW's community really isnt all bad, theres 12 million players and about half are bad so you'll meet alot of bad and good people.

The community in maplestory is perfectly, no one calls you a noob, well atleast not on server windra(i think i spelt it wrong) .

Playing: WoW and Guild wars faction.
    waiting on: GW2 and next WoW expansion =)
    played: flyff, diablo2, maplestory, dungeon runners, eudemons online, conquer online, runescape, decide online, perfect world, and atlantica.

the last time i played would be yesterday   so, it is really cool for people to hate the members, that is what gives the game some more flavour, PvP - just beatuful, how u get the whole inventory, as for trade, i know that it is not there anymore and that is why i quit; and so did many others. i play every weak to see how stuff are, but why u acting so violently dude?

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Seriously how can you stay in that awful game knowing how bad the community is??.....There are tons of free games better than Runescape........It took me about 5 minutes to see what a garbage game RUnescape is and how bad the community was........There was more swearing and foul language in 10 minutes than I have encountered in 8 years of MMOs (and I am not exaggerating).

Hell yeah. Especially those damn teenagers whew! I would never play that game again in fear of hypertension lmao. or  even worse.....a stroke.

Well, iam 14 so i am a teenager, i don't understand what people said that made you think like that of the runescape comuntiy? apparently Jagex thinks like you and people are not allowed to say 6ay, or even com. Part of the game is to give the players freedom, freedom to scam, freedom to swear. why would people play the game when the chat is so strict they even made a quick chat where they have the words for you so some people are not allowed to type what they would like to say. i played many free Mmorpgs and i agree with you that the gameplay and graphics in Runescape need alot of improvement, no races and very limited quests. however it is the only game with that type of special comunitiy which makes it perfect for people who just want to chill in a game and figuring out how to best scam some1.

Im sorry but you cannot scam anymore. Nor could you chill because chill for me means being free to cuss and swear.

"cant do anything with all those hypocrite player mods finding every little censored word or letter you say and turning it against you"

• thanos1313thanos1313 Member Posts: 183

here are a few reasons i think most runescapers are rude.

#1, its free. this tends to get the jerks into the game even on members servers, its only 6 bucks a month. compared to other games thats extreamly cheap. so most people dont really CARE about getting banned.

#2 its targeted trowds a younger crowd, thus more immature people. however jagex is making a new MMO commonly known as mechscape targeted twords an older crowd, its ment mostly for the players who started a few years ago and are getting "to old" to enjoy a game like runescape. its set to come out in march, so i have my fingers crossed that the player base will be alot more mature

#3 some people, like myself just get annoyed over time by all the children asking stupid questions. i dont mind helping people every now and then, but when you got someone following you asking you every single detail on a quest, or minigame you just wanna call them a noob and hit ignore.

i also find that most runescape playerbase uses the word "noob" atlest once every sentince. you dont PC someone, they call you a noob. you dont buy something from them, they call you a noob. you dont have a peice of armour worth 50M, you get called a noob. you just gotta learn to ignore it.

breaking news, a brawl broke out between the hogger and arthas the lich king downtown gadgetzan. there where no survivers

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

If you liked Runescapes depth, then you'll love the depth of Ultima online if you've not tried it already. It's monthly fee may not be as cheap, but you'll find a great community, especially on Atlantic shard for US and Europa for EU, those two shards also have the largest player base.

Since you like graphics the Kingdom reborn client for Uo may appeal to you more over the older legacy client, the KR client is pretty decent once you add the BB_enhanced mod. The Uo dev team have also been busy revamping the Kingdom reborn client during the past 12 months based on player feedback to further improve it performance and usability, it will be renamed the SA client to go along side the release of the latest expansion due out later this year. So I say give Uo a go if you've not already. There's a 14 day free trail .  It's not free of rude people, but they're not nearly as common as in Runescape.

• lat00uklat00uk Member Posts: 28

Personally I dont think you can say that any MMO's community is worse than any other, as basically whatever game you play, be it be PC-based MMO or Xbox live or whatever there will always be assholes on there shouting words like 'noob', 'faggot' or 'gay', I dont play Xbox live public games because of this and its pretty much the same on the PC. I tend to ignore the public chat channel on any MMO I play.

You just have to weed through the crap as there are some good people out there.

But I suppose if a game is F2P and 'the kids' dont need to use daddies credit card to play then there will be lots of kids.

Every game has idiots, but they are variated in number.