Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EARTH AND BEYOND 2

Comments

• crazyivencrazyiven Member Posts: 142

I played E&B also, Was about 2 lv away from maxing out my PW and the lights went out, flew him straight into the twin suns. (lol forget the system) During my time in E&B eve came out tried it turned around and went back to E&B. They shut down had only one choice back to eve.  Been there ever sense, but I'm now inactive due to boredom.  But you will be able to get out of your pod, might be cool.

I remember back in the day the word was EA wanted to close it down to the fact that they wanted to not have any other competition to there game coming out.  I have never payed for another EA product sense then.

Ahhh ohwell , id play again......in a heart beat...

• DyraeleDyraele Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by crazyiven

I played E&B also, Was about 2 lv away from maxing out my PW and the lights went out, flew him straight into the twin suns. (lol forget the system) During my time in E&B eve came out tried it turned around and went back to E&B. They shut down had only one choice back to eve.  Been there ever sense, but I'm now inactive due to boredom.  But you will be able to get out of your pod, might be cool.

I remember back in the day the word was EA wanted to close it down to the fact that they wanted to not have any other competition to there game coming out.  I have never payed for another EA product sense then.

Ahhh ohwell , id play again......in a heart beat...

Back before I quit, you could get out of your pod in E&B, in the docking stations. If they could have extended it to planets and space walking that would be cool.

Anyway, it was relatively fun. I am not much in the space theme but E&B was ok. I still have the tshirt from the beta stress test. I loved the design.

AKA - Bruxail

• DainterDainter Member Posts: 45

I'd play this for awhile.  E&B 1 was fun.

• MiexonMiexon Vendetta Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 181

I'd just be happy if enb 1 was re-released. If they lowered the subscription price and started everyone back at L0 then theres enough content for months and months of playtime. Its a pretty cheap way for them to make a buck!

Member of the Phoenix Alliance Guild
    in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• rapstylerapstyle Member Posts: 31

Yeah,it can be good.

• TycodaTycoda Member UncommonPosts: 37

I loved E&B, and was really upset when it was canned.

Yes, it had problems, like the expansion that lagged from hell, but it was one of the first Sci-Fi mmos with a good back story and ingame plots. It laid the ground work for EVE and the others (that's where most E&B'ers ended up).

EA mishandled it, that's for sure.

E&B2 would only do well if it was much bigger, and if walking around in stations and on planets was more than just resupplying (Character skills and ship skills).

I'd give it a try!

Take it home Kordesh!

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

E&B2 is never going to happen. I played the beta for E&B and I really liked it. I ended up getting distracted and not going forward with it on release though. It still made me sad to see it die however. In retrospect, I wish I had played. It annoys the hell out of me that they canned the game so they could devote more resources to yet another crappy Sims game, let alone the stupid sims MMO. But I don't see EA doing anything with the game. They cancel games to knock them out of competition, and buy out other games. EA is the destroyer, not the developer.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

yea its kind of ironic how the sims online has less subscriptions now than EnB had AFTER they announced its closure.  They should open up a similar situation like SOE did with their station pass might be a successful way to boost revenue and keep TSO alive and bring EnB back.

in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

An Earth and Beyond sequel would be excellent if it didn't totally lock you in your ship.

Landing on planets and such would have made the original that much better.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

You could land on planets in Earth and Beyond.... you could also walk around in the station....

in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• IndoIndo Member Posts: 252

EA is the Wal-Mart of the gaming industry. My Christmas wish would be for them to go bankrupt  I still miss EnB....... Can't some other gaming company copy it's simplistic addictive fun??

Yea EA bankrupt would be nice. Was hoping Gametap would pick up EnB and host it. Emu is progressing but we dont talk about that here... EnB will live on someday. For now i play vendetta.

in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

I beta tested E&B

I still cannot believe anyone would actually pay to play that game.

Different strokes for different folks i guess

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

There is few copies (but not ebn2) developed

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

If E&B was still going I can guarantee I'd still be playing it. If E&B2 came out I would be clamoring to get into the beta! I played E&B from phase 4 beta until the day they turned off the servers. To this day it was one of the best MMOG experiences I've ever had, EA BS not withstanding. I still have my beta disc as a keepsake... It was a sad day indeed when EA pulled the plug.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

man ea-games blows, what are they up to now 4 mmo's they closed on there fanbase, and one vaporware called ultima-x, if they were smart they would do something like soe does for there games, offer a station pass of sorts, but they didnt because they dont give a rats ass about you, there customers or there products, these fools make soe look like angels, earth and beyond was my first and still my favorite mmo, and i have yet bought an ea-games item since they sunset earth and beyond, i would reconsider if they brought back enb or even better a revamped enb-2

playing eq2 and two worlds

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

I beta tested EnB

I still cannot believe people actually payed to play that game _ I really did not like it at all. (No avatar combat, ships were meh, didnt like the crafting system)

EnB had the ability to become PVP just EA did not want to implement it for somereason. There was a code switch that with a flick could turn any sector into pvp able. I wonder why they didnt try implementing this in some of the outher reaches... 

in Vendetta Online
    www.vendetta-online.com

• MortueMortue Member UncommonPosts: 11

If EA did flick the PVP switch they would have an serious class/race balancing issue on there hands.

I don't think adding PVP would have saved E&B anyway, players would not like to have their warriors and enforcer nerfed.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Miexon

EnB had the ability to become PVP just EA did not want to implement it for somereason. There was a code switch that with a flick could turn any sector into pvp able. I wonder why they didnt try implementing this in some of the outher reaches... 

That would be because PVP has never saved any game. It causes huge problems in games that are not built with PVP and the unique balancing it takes to have good PVP. Think Jenquai Explorer VS Progen Warrior. The classes were simply never built with PVP in mind or way to really make all classes viable in PVP.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Darkholme

If E&B was still going I can guarantee I'd still be playing it. If E&B2 came out I would be clamoring to get into the beta! I played E&B from phase 4 beta until the day they turned off the servers. To this day it was one of the best MMOG experiences I've ever had, EA BS not withstanding. I still have my beta disc as a keepsake... It was a sad day indeed when EA pulled the plug.

I hear you.  Earth and Beyond was one of those rare games that felt like a "world" (err, a universe maybe) and not a game. 

Travelling around the universe had a certain feel to it and I miss that game.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319

Well there is an EnB Emulator at www.enb-emulator.com/ that's in beta. I don't know if I'd call it a sequel but it's something.

Also someone earlier mentioned Crusades and their website is here www.vizualfxstudios.com/crusades/ I haven't taking a good look around yet but it may be worth your time.

• Daxa01Daxa01 Member Posts: 1

I think its funny that people still long for EnB even after all this time......I have to laugh at EA's short sightedness.

EnB was the first MMO I ever played, and I think I was the only 12 yo girl playing an online game at the time lol  at least thats what it felt like back then.    Most of my friends and guild mates were much older but I say this with completely sincerity, they were the most friendly and best group of people I've ever met in any game since then.

I was the president of Invictus on Andromeda server and we had a great time together until EA shut it down.

I was literally depressed for weeks.  I know, its sad that an online game could affect me that way, but its true, the friendships and self confidence I gained from my time in EnB was an experience that would impact my life from that point on.

I'm now 19 years old and I'm still the same geeky gamer girl I was back then when I got hooked on EnB's intense storyline....and of course becoming fluent in V'rix (come on, you know you did it too).   

I'm now currently playing a game called Anarchy Online and have been since about a month or so after EnB got shut down......I've grown fond of AO because its probably one of the most complex games in terms of game mechs.    But to this day there will never be another game that comes close to the feeling that Earth and Beyond gave me.      Space is where I belong,   I guess the Jequai Explorer in me never died :)

I hope that in the future that there might be a game that gives me that same feeling, or at least as close as it comes......perhaps Star Trek Online will be my next adventure into space, who knows.....until then.....I'll have fond memories of being a level 9 reactor builder extraordinaire 

Daxaphedra

President: Invictus

LVL128 Jenquai Explorer

PS:

3F1NY4FM6G53LDM1T2SS22TH3S645C1NF3NDM23N1N1RCH64NL3N2PL163NG1SD1X1PH2DR14N1TL1NT21NS2RV2R("rk1")

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

EnB was a great game.  I sorely miss it.

• ZenrenZenren Member UncommonPosts: 68

The fact that after all this time, people still pine over EnB says alot. The fact that a community of programmers is trying to develop an emulator for the game, even after all this time, says even more. These people have spent thousands of hours of development to remake a game that was taken down so more money could be spent on Madden... Yay! Well the fact is, like so many other people, I have not purchased an EA product since that game was taken down. I have no intention of purchasing one in the future, even if they did bring EnB back, if only because I know that corporate greed will always outwiegh a sense of responsibility to the community. I mean when you say, "We're shutting down the game, so we can invest more in other games" you're essentially saying, "I know you play the gam and we're still making a profit, but we could be making more profit elsewhere. You shmucks will still buy our other stuff. Right?" Well hopefully EA has lost more than it got from shutting down the game. For me, I'm still an old EnB fan.

Well to be honest, I would purchase EnB 2 if it ever came out... I wouldn't forgive EA though...

Peace.

If you're reading this, you probably need to get some sun.