Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth to Spend time on?

A while ago, when Lord of the Rings online was released,  Some of my friends decided to buy the game, I could say, they got dissapointed when the  game was released, and only one bought the game.. The rest stayed in World Of Warcraft or Project Universe (PE),

As i didn't bought the game directly when my friend did, i decided to see if the game was worth to give a shot, so i asked him to give his opinion about the game,

He Made a Dwarf Champion and the minute after, we where doing Quests in game. The Graphics Was amazing, The best Graphic on an mmorpg right now in the market.

But the gameplay was good in the begining but later on, you got bored of it.

He got to lvl 18 And Quit, And since then i haven't seen the game . except in these youtube videos and some other webbsites.

After a time when Warhammer online was released i thought about the same thing with that game, but it wasn't as fun as Lord Of the RIngs.

Right now i am thinking to buy a laptop and start playing lord of the rings, tho dissapointed that the only '' Evil Gameplay'' you could come close to is Monsterplay.

But i am looking forward to play this game along with a friend but it feels like i haven't made up my mind yet if i should buy the game or not, and now when there is a Expansion, it feels much harder to decide, so what i am asking you players after this rubbish, Has the game improved since last time?, The gameplay, the player comunication, the population of the game, and etc, is it worth giving a shot?

Best Regards, Secrow -

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Well, you can get the entire game in one box (with expansion that is). However, since most of what the expansion offers is for higher level players, if you can find a box or get disks for just the original section, you could save a bit of money and decide for yourself.

Truth be told, the game seems to open up a bit at lvl 18 ish. Or did when I first started playing. However, part of that can be expectations.

I think people go into this game wanting/needing a particular type of gameplay and since the game is a bit different than what they expect, they lose heart.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Secrow

, Has the game improved since last time?,
    Depends on what you mean by improved I guess. The basic game play is the same it has always been other than  tweaks to the classes and some other tweaks such as housing, more content, rounding out of content, more quests at all levels etc, some new recipes and other minor tweaks to crafting etc.
    The gameplay
    the basic game play is good, but if you did not like it the first time around I doubt you will care for it much now. Being in a good kinship to me is essential to this game. But then I felt the same way about UO, DAoC, SWG adn EQII. To me the game is all about having a entertaining time in a more social atmosphere than I would watching TV or reading. It is not about having a second life or demonstrating the size of my Epeeny.
    , the player comunication
    I think it has went downhill since the original games beta. Of course at the moment I have a tremendous amount of prejudice in regards to some of the class Devs. In particular the minstrel dev who it seems would rather gargle cat urine than communicate on the minstrel boards addressing our issues and complaints.
    Patience, Sapience and some of the other Turbine employees are really pretty good on the other hand so it is one of those hit and miss things.Here is the link to the dev tracker so as you can see some Turbine employees are very good at communicating

forums.lotro.com/turbine_tracker.php
    the population of the game,
    On my server the population is very good at all levels and I am on one of the less populated servers
    , and etc, is it worth giving a shot
    warts and all I still think it is the best PvE game on the market and Turbine is the best developer. If you want a good PvE game then it is certainly worth trying. Just my opinion.

Best Regards, Secrow -

I miss DAoC

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

The game is much improved from launch, and it was good at launch so that says something.

This game you are forced to play the "good" side, you won't really be an evil character like you want, as thats not how the story goes. Its not sandbox. You make the creeps (monsters) but thats only for pvp. There is no evil story tree. Again, thats lore of LOTRO.

I have a 50 Minstrel/50 Loremaster and 31 Runekeeper. I left the game after I maxed the LRM cause it was lacking in endgame content. I liked the game but there wasn't enough to do later on, which made it boring. I think that changed so I came back. If you and your friends level together, you will never get bored of this game. There is plenty to do. You can solo if you like, but thats somewhat boring with no one to talk to, no?

Population.. I will say this is the key. There is plenty of good content but you MUST get some people to do it with. My server (Arkenstone) is not one of the heavily populated ones so theres smatterings of people across different zones. But its a PvE game so its not too big of a problem. The problem comes from if you want to do stuff with others, your pool is limited. Its not like WoW where there are tons of lowbies running around. Again that is Arkenstone server, there are at least three other servers that are bigger I know of: Gladden, Brandy, and one that begins with the L (can't remember the name) is huge as well, but I think the last one is more of role playing one. (real Tolkien type fans)

If you are tired of WoW, LOTRO might be a better bet if you like PvE based games. Warhammer is Pvp based so if you like storylines, you probably don't want to go that way. If youre looking to come in LOTRO and pvp like Warhammer, you are NOT going to be happy.

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

Well its a game that is very relaxed and casual friendly compared to most other products on the market.

It has serious time sinks but most of them you can easily do solo. The casual player also more or less have access to the same gear and content as the hard core player.

The crafting system is massive. It takes a LOOONG time to master and its hard to get the stuff needed to make good items. OTOH (until the expansion) crafted gear was as good as any drops. With the expansion weaponcrafters have become a bit obsolete.

The game has one thing going for it. STORY. Its so full of stories and I have had many "Whoa!" moments while playing it. The game is very much a ROLE playing game. The ability to have several set of appearances setup for your toon independent of the gear you actually use is a very nice feature.

The PvP is decent but the engine is not really made for it. For example you cannot move and do melee attacks at the same time, this makes melees almost useless in PvP since a ranged class can kite them forever. That being said the PvP has goals and action that puts it above the mindless PvP killing you see in most games. For example the side that control the most objectives gain access to a nice dungeon (similar to the darkness fall system in daoc).

Its not really a game for raiders. There are several raid dungeons but its not the focus of the game and it shows.

The expansion has 2 major features. First is moria itself. It difficult to describe just how big this dungeon is, its about 6 x 4 km big but i has so many layers over and under that everyone get lots in there, its BIIIG.

Secondly the expansion has introduced legendary items. These are items you partly design yourself as you use them. As you use them, they level up and as they level you can choose what abilities they become better at, sort of like mini characters. And the way its done then everyone can have access to these fun items but not everyone can get them to the same level of power. Its so far a really good system even though it made my grandmaster weaponsmith jobless.

I returned a few days ago to the game after a 6 month break and I have seriously enjoyed it.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• SecrowSecrow Member Posts: 54

Love it, Thanks guys for sharing your opinion.

Tho i never noticed the combat movements in the game, That i can't taget someone and move around and use some melee skills, And that it is hard to master the crafting system..

Well i have decided that the game is just insn't for me.. yet..

I Would love to see more of it but in future, when more and more things are made, maybe in a few expansions..

ill come back when the day there is a Evil Lore, The day that i can play as a Orc/goblin/Uruk Hai/ Haradrim or Whatever, tho it doesn't seems so according to you guys' posts.

Anyways, Big thanks for taking your time to write some and i hope i see you in a game someday, Cheers!