Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IF....

IF...

They ditched the starter linear island.

They ditched 99% or all of the quests.

They implemented zones in place of instances.

They crafted a cruel and unforgiving fantasy world, but one which made sense in the way it was laid out as per R.E. Howard's imagination.

Noobs started in their home villages before setting out to brave the dark and dangerous world.

The Border Kingdoms were open PVP, but the rest of the world was not.

The penalty for dying was stern, but not crippling, so that rewards were more respected, and dungeons and outdoor zones were more feared.

IF they did all of these things, I think this would have been a very successful game.

Just like there is big money sitting out the stock market in the real world, there are seasoned gamers sitting out the current crop of MMO's, just waiting to pounce on the right game.

Comments

• WharmasterWharmaster Member Posts: 234

If they hadn't waded into the game with nerf-bat swinging....

If they had listened to the reports of ATI users....

IF THEY HAD FINISHED THE GAME BFORE SELLING IT...

I remember back in 1999, folks kept asking me if I was stockpiling food. I always answered, "No, I'm stockpiling ammo and making a list of people who are stockpiling food"

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821
    Originally posted by Wharmaster

I think this sums it up pretty well

• OriginalFormOriginalForm Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by BigMango

...Like the devs had a choice...

Oh wait, they did have a choice:

Release an unfinished game or don't release any game at all.

Nice try anyway.

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019
    Originally posted by OriginalForm

Nice try anyway.

Doesn't change the fact that they would have done that much better if they had pushed back release. At this point, none of us really know if they had no choice or were just planning on selling the game on viral marketting, except for the people at FC themselves.

If they had everything that has been added within the 6 months, tarantia, and DX10... this game would have been a site to be reckoned with. Now FC has basically screwed themselves over, whether from no other option or were just plain idiotic.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

Nice try anyway.

Whatever, man. They pulled the same stunt with the Shadowlands expansion for AO. They even intentionally broke quests so that people could not progress further into the Shadowlands, and see that it wasn't even finished. 

They release now, get their money, and then try to scramble to fix it. And guess what? they keep getting caught with their pants down.

Wouldn't you think they would learn eventually??

I remember back in 1999, folks kept asking me if I was stockpiling food. I always answered, "No, I'm stockpiling ammo and making a list of people who are stockpiling food"

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Nice try anyway.

Whatever, man. They pulled the same stunt with the Shadowlands expansion for AO. They even intentionally broke quests so that people could not progress further into the Shadowlands, and see that it wasn't even finished. 

They release now, get their money, and then try to scramble to fix it. And guess what? they keep getting caught with their pants down.

Got any proof?

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Nice try anyway.

Got any proof?

Ah, well..I was THERE.

I'm sure if I wasted enough time tonight, I could eventually dig up the screenshots of Inferno with big chunks of the terrain missing that were found when people glitched their way in there, for example.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Nice try anyway.

Got any proof?

Ah, well..I was THERE.

I'm sure if I wasted enough time tonight, I could eventually dig up the screenshots of Inferno with big chunks of the terrain missing that were found when people glitched their way in there, for example.

It's not that I do not want to believe you, it's just I find it hard for a company to intentionally break a quest so people could not progress further. I know of a couple of quests in Conan that were bugged in beta and then into release but they didn't stop you progress so to speak (fixed 2 weeks after release) - then again a lot if devs were just AoC. Plus guild cities were bugged with Tier 3 too stopping people going further for a point. I really don't think this was intentional, more lazy.  Was just curious with the AO thing - but no worries.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

yep, nuff  said

I miss DAoC

Nice try anyway.

Got any proof?

Ah, well..I was THERE.

It's not that I do not want to believe you, it's just I find it hard for a company to intentionally break a quest so people could not progress further. I know of a couple of quests in Conan that were bugged in beta and then into release but they didn't stop you progress so to speak (fixed 2 weeks after release) - then again a lot if devs were just AoC. Plus guild cities were bugged with Tier 3 too stopping people going further for a point. I really don't think this was intentional, more lazy.  Was just curious with the AO thing - but no worries.

It's cool, man. Just not an easy thing to dig up info about an expansion that was released 5 years ago (almost 6 now...wow..I feel old).

See, Shadowlands (if you never played it) had a tiered progression system. Originally, there were quest lines you needed to complete to progress further into the "layers" of this metaphysical realm.

In order to survive in Inferno, you needed a special pair of boots. But they were impossible to get (contrary to FC's insistance that they were in-game). A few people managed to glitch in, and posted some screenshots of the incomplete zone. Soon after, there was a rather big patch, and suddenly the boots were obtainable.

Interestingly enough, it was only like last year that they finally added more than rudimentary quests to zones such as Scheol...up 'till then, it was basically an entire area of the Shadowlands that you just buzzed through without stopping on the way to Adonis. Shadowlands took years to actually finish, after release.

I pre-ordered Shadowlands, back in the day. Got my Jobe Luxury Apartment, skipped work to pick up the box set. My guild was one of the first on Atlantean to enter the Jobe portal on the Omni side and explore. Nothing worked...got stuck or fell through terrain every couple hours, quests were broken...but we had fun anyway.

Dunno if you can tell, but I really miss AO.