Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population rise

Comments

• hawaiimanhawaiiman Member Posts: 70

I think now reading through all this posts i am planning on coming back to lotro now. seems like everyone is haveing a lot of fun.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by Meridion

Originally posted by openedge1

Originally posted by raizzeen

no one uses xfire

Yet, I will make a bet with you that you are 11,813,001 times wrong...(and counting)...

(2,458 of them are LOTRO users and 93k+ are WoW users...how odd that NO ONE uses it)

XFire users are particularly NOT the target audience LotRO is aiming for. So especially the Xfire numbers are biased in favor of games like WoW or WAR.

I agree though that LotRO is consequently aiming for the socializer/roleplayer/casual crowd as they intended to do right away; And I am quite sure they are doing exactly the right thing. If they chose to change course , catering to PvPers or achievers or sandboxers, they'd end up with nobody playing their game, just look at SWG.

It's a very good thing to stay true to your concept, every successful MMO did this so far, be it giants like WoW with PvE and raids or dwarves like EvE with sandbox and PvP.

Don't change a winning team, LotRO is a stable, well performing, healthy MMORPG; like switzerland, they're not big, they're not powerful, they deliever delicious cheese, tasty chocolate and the best payment rates in the western world. Size doesn't matter for a project to work properly.

M

Absolutely spot on. XFire is for ther PVP kids. Not saying they are the only ones using it, but LOTRO's population is quite the opposite: mature, casual, PVE. I'd bet 90+ % is not using any such wares like Xfire... (using my own PC for work too, would not install any crap anyway.....)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by DonnieBrasco

Absolutely spot on. XFire is for ther PVP kids. Not saying they are the only ones using it, but LOTRO's population is quite the opposite: mature, casual, PVE. I'd bet 90+ % is not using any such wares like Xfire... (using my own PC for work too, would not install any crap anyway.....)

DB

I guess you are right. No casual mature gamer (Fallout 3 ranked #13) would play (Solitaire ranked #31) with X-Fire (Second Life ranked #46) installed.

Only PvP (LOTRO ranked #22 with 2518 players noted) kiddies (Sims 2 ranked #67) would install that software.

• raizzeenraizzeen Member Posts: 185

DB

I guess you are right. No casual mature gamer (Fallout 3 ranked #13) would play (Solitaire ranked #31) with X-Fire (Second Life ranked #46) installed.

Only PvP (LOTRO ranked #22 with 2518 players noted) kiddies (Sims 2 ranked #67) would install that software.

xifre stats means nothing to population not even 1% of the game population uses it

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

DB

Ever worked on a scientific basis? You know, empiric trials, double blind, control group, multicenter, things like that?

One of the first things you get to know is this: Small case numbers make results unproportionally less representative, to a degree where things honestly get ridiculous...

Example: Your own, Solitaire is rankes #31 BEHIND LotRO ranked #22. What does this figure tell us? That Lord of the Rings Online is vastly more popular than Solitaire? In fact, so much more popular that 2518 players are huge compared to the miniscule niche existence a game like Solitaire has to suffer through...

I hope you get the drift, every single soul with a Windows system and a desk has played Solitaire once, and armies, more than WoW, Counterstrike and CoD4 combined, play this game while at work, at home or during breaks...

Talking about breaks, you just broke your argument yourself by posting this list. X-Fire _does_ _not_ have _any_ information anywhere near representative.

M

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

DB

Ever worked on a scientific basis? You know, empiric trials, double blind, control group, multicenter, things like that?

One of the first things you get to know is this: Small case numbers make results unproportionally less representative, to a degree where things honestly get ridiculous...

Example: Your own, Solitaire is rankes #31 BEHIND LotRO ranked #22. What does this figure tell us? That Lord of the Rings Online is vastly more popular than Solitaire? In fact, so much more popular that 2518 players are huge compared to the miniscule niche existence a game like Solitaire has to suffer through...

I hope you get the drift, every single soul with a Windows system and a desk has played Solitaire once, and armies, more than WoW, Counterstrike and CoD4 combined, play this game while at work, at home or during breaks...

Talking about breaks, you just broke your argument yourself by posting this list. X-Fire _does_ _not_ have _any_ information anywhere near representative.

M

Yet, what information is your data based on? Visual? What YOU see?

If we look at the listings for Western based MMO's on X-Fire, and follow the chart, we have a perfect example of where these MMO's rank in popularity and population though... and then we see a surprise on how the games rank, as it seems to follow real world numbers...

If we place them in order, we start to see ...

#1. WoW

#2. Guild Wars

#3. WAR

#4. LOTRO

#5. Age of Conan

Interesting, as based on NPD numbers, these pan out for sales of these games and so far would be derivative of actual subscribers as well.

We also never stated that X-Fire is an exact science, but does show trends. Like WAR for example and how the numbers are decreasing, based on current conjecture of MMO news sites and blogs, which also state a loss of populations and server merges (of course, WAR started with too many servers to begin with).

Even based on the server argument...LOTRO has not merged, but also has not grown...with the exact same servers since launch. This is not growth, and would represent how LOTRO looks on the X-Fire chart as well. No major growth, but no major loss either...just existing in the middle...

It is as it should be ...anecdotal evidence that would be included with other data available. Not hard science, yet looks reasonable and pretty accurate.

Certainly better data than we will ever receive from Turbine.

(As a side note to this, it was noted that EQ2 ranked #5 on NPD sales for it's expansion, which was released the same day as MoM...yet, MoM failed to chart...

Also, regarding the Soliatire argument, we must note, no tools for X-Fire are in need for Solitaire...no one needs voice chat, screenshots or video recording, compared to MMO's. So, the fact it even charts is impressive to say the least. And it does argue the fact that casual gamers DO use X-Fire.)

• raizzeenraizzeen Member Posts: 185

DB

M

If we look at the listings for Western based MMO's on X-Fire, and follow the chart, we have a perfect example of where these MMO's rank in popularity and population though... and then we see a surprise on how the games rank, as it seems to follow real world numbers...

#1. WoW

#2. Guild Wars

#3. WAR

#4. LOTRO

#5. Age of Conan

Interesting, as based on NPD numbers, these pan out for sales of these games and so far would be derivative of actual subscribers as well.

We also never stated that X-Fire is an exact science, but does show trends. Like WAR for example and how the numbers are decreasing, based on current conjecture of MMO news sites and blogs, which also state a loss of populations and server merges (of course, WAR started with too many servers to begin with).

Even based on the server argument...LOTRO has not merged, but also has not grown...with the exact same servers since launch. This is not growth, and would represent how LOTRO looks on the X-Fire chart as well. No major growth, but no major loss either...just existing in the middle...

It is as it should be ...anecdotal evidence that would be included with other data available. Not hard science, yet looks reasonable and pretty accurate.

Certainly better data than we will ever receive from Turbine.

(As a side note to this, it was noted that EQ2 ranked #5 on NPD sales for it's expansion, which was released the same day as MoM...yet, MoM failed to chart...)

lotro only has like 2500 on xifre tells me nothing

Originally posted by raizzeen

lotro only has like 2500 on xifre tells me nothing

Because you are looking at it narrowly, and not the overall picture as I described above. It still places appropriately in the chart of Western developed MMO's for popularity.

If something would show sales to be stronger, I would argue it's location. But, as I stated, it failed to even chart on NPD. This means that most copies were bought by current subscribers using the login screen digital download, and not at Brick and Mortar stores.

Again, I said it is just one view for a trend, and X-Fire has been pretty reliable in that instance...

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

And none of this matters, becouse population is on the rise.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by levsix

The population will balance back to its pre-expansion levels again. Check in February- March and you'll probably see the pre Moria release sub numbers there. I had a lot of good times in LOTRO, it just got old to me after about 8 months or so of play, including alpha and beta. But if you haven't ever played it, check it out.

Already happening. Seems LOTRO spiked on XFire for a while and made it to #16 on their charts (with only WAR barely beating them)

But, it is already falling now (has dipped down to 25) and will most likely get back to #30 (it's normal position) in several weeks.

Turbine could have made an effort to sell to new customers, but instead stuck with the fanbase. As long as the fans are happy, LOTRO will at least squeek by and make some profit...don't need to be big like WAR or WoW.

I don't think as high a percentage of LoTRO players would use XFire as say AOC or WAR for one simple reason. LoTRO has a built in voice chat system. The only MMORPG to have one as far as I know, which was one of the main resons for using XFire. 

At any rate is is a good tool for watching trends within a game. Guildwars,  EvE and WoW have pretty much held steady for the longest time. LoTROs numbers were rock steady for most of the year but  have doubled since the expansion released with a peak of tripleing the week it was released. Warhammer is stil on a steady decline, AoC has pretty much hit bottom and has actually shown a slight increase in the last few weeks.

Just my take and I don't really care one way or the otrher about XFire or any other numbers because all that matters to me is that our kinships numbers have been steady or ecvven increasing since about 6 months after release. Anytime I log on I can find between 10 to 20 kin logged on except maybe the wee early hours on weekdays. Also when leveling my latest alt up last summer I found no problem gettting PUGs in any zone and the server I am on, Silverlode,  is considered one of the lower pop US servers.

I miss DAoC

• tfox2k1tfox2k1 Member Posts: 215

Xfire is basically for kiddies.   These are the exact people LOTRO players want to stay in WoW and WAR.

The LOTRO population has definitely spiked and I believe this trend will continue as mature gamers learn about the quality and enjoyable game Turbine has been developing.

• FalconoffuryFalconoffury Member Posts: 555

I have noticed that the zones for the level 30s and early 40s were pretty barren the first week after expansion. I guess everyone was either in Moria or rolling the new classes. This was on Meneldor. I had a hard time finding anyone to get book 4 done in the Trollshaws. I saw a poor guy spamming all day to finish all the book 5 chapters.

Originally posted by openedge1 We also never stated that X-Fire is an exact science, but does show trends. Like WAR for example and how the numbers are decreasing, based on current conjecture of MMO news sites and blogs, which also state a loss of populations and server merges (of course, WAR started with too many servers to begin with).Originally posted by Meridion

M

#1. WoW

#2. Guild Wars

#3. WAR

#4. LOTRO

#5. Age of Conan

Jesus I could have pulled this ranking out of my behind anytime, you sound as if this would speak volumes about in what state these games are. But in fact it's like saying "China has more people than Norway"...

(...)
    You know, we were talking about "more people", not about "a massive flood of new arrivals" who force turbine to open up new servers. I wanted to make clear that a) XFire is very, VERY far away from reliable user numbers concerning games (it sure provides trends, but the flight of birds also shows trends for weather, still I always failed to ask the robin next door if it'd be chilly and -10° or clouded and rainy) and b) exactly this roughness and unreliability lacks the sensitivity we are talking about in this thread: About new people on the LotRO servers, not armies of new people, but still so many new people that you run into newbies all the time...
    Let's also include here that in non-english-EU, which is a pretty large part of the usual MMO playerbase, a very very small number of user even knows X-Fire, let alone using it. Like ventrilo and teamspeak, I never met a single soul on a german speaking realm using ventrilo, everyone uses teamspeak, whereas in EvE-Online, I never met any non-german using anything else than ventrilo.

So all these things combined: We are talking about a value which is too small for a "overall t rend" tool like X-Fire to grasp yet too big to be disputed by anyone who experiences the situation on the servers.

BTW, I'll be glad to see the day when 50% of  the new arrivals leave again, because as always, 95% of t hem are expansion hopping d***heads with no sense of roleplaying or teamplay. And unfortunately, this is not EvE where I can tear their ships into glowing little pieces and dance samba on their frozen corpses...

M

• Mentor73Mentor73 Member Posts: 107

A little praise to a game other then WOW and openedge1 shows up. 

I had Xfire installed and didnt like it. So in uninstalled it. In our kin arround 40 dedicated players noone uses xfire. It's just waste of memory. And many even don't know about xfire.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Wagrof

People are coming back because they see that lotro keeps on delivering.
    After over a year of gametime i bought my lifetime sub. this week, because turbine/codemaster have proven their competence with the last patches and especially the mom expansion, i think the future is bright for lotro, people realise that and come back to the game.

That do sounds good but there is always the question if they will stay, we won't really see that until after X-mas. But so far so good then.

• Mentor73Mentor73 Member Posts: 107

Loke that goes for every MMORPG. With Moria we got enough stuff to do. And of course we must not forget periodic updates that Turbine manages so well.

• Although i still find LOTRO boring to the bones i must say Turbine is catching up on my expectations.

From what i read about MoM the legendary weapon system is more or less an idea i suggested 16 months ago - they even improved and developed the original suggestion some with their random interpretation.

WELL DONE.

If they manage to develope kinship crafting for ships and siege weapons and get some DYNAMICS in the world i might be back one day myself.

In all the critism i have for this product and the damage it has done to the genre with its stupid simplification of EVERYTHING i must say that Turbine is smart enough to at least LISTEN and try to improve.

Still far from appealing me again tho.

Snorf

Originally posted by Snorf

Although i still find LOTRO boring to the bones i must say Turbine is catching up on my expectations.
    From what i read about MoM the legendary weapon system is more or less an idea i suggested 16 months ago - they even improved and developed the original suggestion some with their random interpretation.
    WELL DONE.
    If they manage to develope kinship crafting for ships and siege weapons and get some DYNAMICS in the world i might be back one day myself.
    In all the critism i have for this product and the damage it has done to the genre with its stupid simplification of EVERYTHING i must say that Turbine is smart enough to at least LISTEN and try to improve.
    Snorf

What exactly do you want to lay siege to? Barad Dûr? Carn Dûm?

The game is within the limits of Tolkien lore during the War of the Ring, they can not include sieges, like they can't include full fletched mages, or playable necromancers, or flying mounts, or elves with dark skin and white hair that live in caves. It's one of the most ironic things in this game that its critics grew up with popularizes overbright disney iconizations of the deep lore J.R.R. Tolkien invented and now demand exactly this level of "over the top"-fantasy from a game that stays true to "fantasy how it was meant to be".

They already stretch this IP so hard it makes every Tolkien enthuisasts eyebrow lift, just a little more and Tolkien enterprises has every right to kill the contract. They don't need LotRO desperately, Middle-Earth makes millions out of dozens of franchise projects. Without fire mages, summoned flying gryphons, engineering gnomes and vicious dark elves.

And, to bring this rant to an end. This is a socializing, RP game. If you don't want to not-fight in the long run, you will - not - last in this game. I did whole RP plots with different story arcs over months in LotRO without ever drawing a blade. There's the potential of this game, storytelling, roleplaying, customization, immersion... not in "lol I wanna attack barad dur kkthx"

There are bazillions of games  that offer combat content ad emesis. Start EVE, it's a brilliant game if you're interested in actual warfare, or WAR if you like permanent PvP action... just don't bash LotRO for delivering the one best roleplaying platform in the MMORPG sector, ridiculous thing, hating a game for staying true to their initial concept.

M

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Although i still find LOTRO boring to the bones i must say Turbine is catching up on my expectations.
    WELL DONE.
    Snorf

The game is within the limits of Tolkien lore during the War of the Ring, they can not include sieges, like they can't include full fletched mages, or playable necromancers, or flying mounts, or elves with dark skin and white hair that live in caves. It's one of the most ironic things in this game that its critics grew up with popularizes overbright disney iconizations of the deep lore J.R.R. Tolkien invented and now demand exactly this level of "over the top"-fantasy from a game that stays true to "fantasy how it was meant to be".

They already stretch this IP so hard it makes every Tolkien enthuisasts eyebrow lift, just a little more and Tolkien enterprises has every right to kill the contract. They don't need LotRO desperately, Middle-Earth makes millions out of dozens of franchise projects. Without fire mages, summoned flying gryphons, engineering gnomes and vicious dark elves.

And, to bring this rant to an end. This is a socializing, RP game. If you don't want to not-fight in the long run, you will - not - last in this game. I did whole RP plots with different story arcs over months in LotRO without ever drawing a blade. There's the potential of this game, storytelling, roleplaying, customization, immersion... not in "lol I wanna attack barad dur kkthx"

There are bazillions of games  that offer combat content ad emesis. Start EVE, it's a brilliant game if you're interested in actual warfare, or WAR if you like permanent PvP action... just don't bash LotRO for delivering the one best roleplaying platform in the MMORPG sector, ridiculous thing, hating a game for staying true to their initial concept.

M

I have to agree with Meridion here.

There is no reason too have siege engines and this is the second suggestion regarding ships (unless the first was also snorf's then I just saw 1 repeated twice). What's up with that?

why ships? I don't quite get that. I can't remember any discussion where people said, "yeah and all those amazing ships...." except maybe in the context of the ships bringing them to the west. but that seems to be a one way ride.

I can actually imagine more combat though as there will be more story related combat such as helms deep, coming down the pike.

My first thought was that it would be a Monster Play zone but then I thought it might be a session play zone. Depends upon whether they want elves and hobbits at Helms deep.

I have no problem with added combat and even fast furious combat as long as it makes sense in the context of the IP. I'm pretty sure there are a group of players out there who would love to bring out a few siege engines, lay waste to the shire and smoke some old Toby over a job well done.

But that would be just silly

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

My first thought was that it would be a Monster Play zone but then I thought it might be a session play zone. Depends upon whether they want elves and hobbits at Helms deep.

I have no problem with added combat and even fast furious combat as long as it makes sense in the context of the IP. I'm pretty sure there are a group of players out there who would love to bring out a few siege engines, lay waste to the shire and smoke some old Toby over a job well done.

-----------------

Well, they will have to include these fights if they choose to add the settings. But as everyone is expecting Edoras, Helms Deep and Minas Tirith to find their way into the game, they can't just leave them out.

But if they keep doing things like they did in the past, the actual fights there will be instanced, because the battles have to end the same way every time. They are bound to Lord of the Rings and Tolkiens concept of the "eucatastrophe", reverse disaster. Darkness seems to overwhelm everything but (as has been told in the music of the ainur at the beginning of the world) all evil will - in the end - perish.

M

• Originally posted by Meridion

WELL DONE.
    Snorf

M

To claim that LOTRO is supporting RP is just silly, the US servers dont even have a dedicated RP server. And nothing in the game mechanics supports Roleplaying. What you describe can be done in every MMO out there and furthermore in every online chat and furthermore even in this forum and guess what, i can run RP plots pen and paper without electricity too. And i have done so and it was great fun - i would not even want to limit myself to the narrow possibilities LOTRO offers for RP.

The same things you just said about siege weapons and someone else about ships was said about legendary weapons 16 months ago when i suggested them. I hope you are glad that Turbine didnt listen to those people and enjoy the new content.

I only stated the game is slowly growing to what i expected from it at start. 2-3 expansions more and maybe it matches to what should have been delivered in april 2007.

Turbine is doing well adressing the right things lack of armor custamisation was a huge flaw at start, they adressed it - no game depth, no inovation in gameplay was another and with MoM they adressed some of that too.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

WELL DONE.
    Snorf

M

To claim that LOTRO is supporting RP is just silly, the US servers dont even have a dedicated RP server. And nothing in the game mechanics supports Roleplaying. What you describe can be done in every MMO out there and furthermore in every online chat and furthermore even in this forum and guess what, i can run RP plots pen and paper without electricity too. And i have done so and it was great fun - i would not even want to limit myself to the narrow possibilities LOTRO offers for RP.

The same things you just said about siege weapons and someone else about ships was said about legendary weapons 16 months ago when i suggested them. I hope you are glad that Turbine didnt listen to those people and enjoy the new content.

I only stated the game is slowly growing to what i expected from it at start. 2-3 expansions more and maybe it matches to what should have been delivered in april 2007.

Turbine is doing well adressing the right things lack of armor custamisation was a huge flaw at start, they adressed it - no game depth, no inovation in gameplay was another and with MoM they adressed some of that too.

RP encouraging elements:

-Housing

-Cosmetic clothing

-stages

-smoking

-drinking

-huge amount of emotes

-music system

-settlements

-barbershops

-cosmetic equipment

-TOLKIEN LORE, deeper and broader than any other system that was based on Tolkien.

At least 50% of this stuff is not or far not as thoroughly included in other games.

M

RP encouraging elements:

-Housing

-Cosmetic clothing

-stages

-smoking

-drinking

-huge amount of emotes

-music system

-settlements

-barbershops

-cosmetic equipment

-TOLKIEN LORE, deeper and broader than any other system that was based on Tolkien.

At least 50% of this stuff is not or far not as thoroughly included in other games.

M

I actually agree with this statement. LOTRO has a huge selection of attributes that is conducive to RP. The issue is the amount of players using such PvE based elements to do RP is quite small.

Off topic, but I wanted to point out how Snorf does have a point. But, this is pretty much ALL MMO's right now..the need to quest, level, get gear, and a majority of times not even group up or talk to anyone (except to throw some hate around for stealing their XP or mob or resource)

Too sad