Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe or Champions Online?

DC Universe or Champions Online? which you more looking foward to? and why?

i give much props to city of villains cause its the first american mmo i ever seen to have good sound effects and sense of impact combat. sound hard and powerful like tekken and most asian mmo such as lineage2. so as Champions Online is from the same creator from City of Villains.. i expected for it to have great sound effect too and it is!

i also like to see original unique made-up super hero/villain game that is not made after a well known movie and comics. which Champions Online is for me.

melee attack in dc universe sounds funny.

Comments

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

I'm not into the superhero genre much but given a choice between the two I'd go with Champions simply because SoE is associated with DC. That means it'll likely be RMT based and have some ridiculous trading card game to go with it.

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

DC Universe Online all the way. Once it goes live people are gonna say Champions Online who? and City of Heroes/Villians who? . I know I can't wait to fight along side the likes of Batman or The Joker, in places like Gotham City. The only game that could have rivaled DC, would have been the Marvel MMO that got axed. It would have been a hard choice for me, but without Marvel around. Its all about DC now and not some crappy knock-offs like Champions and City of Heroes/Villians. Well at least that my two cent, you can take it or leave it.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

Considering DC is being handled by one of Sony Online's studios, I'd say Champions online, there is always CoH/V eh.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Good question. So far both look very interesting and promising. In the end the details may decide. I am all over the fence atm.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Depends on the gameplay, and the customization aspects. From what I've seen I'd give the former to DC and the latter to Champions. I'm going to definately give them both a try. In the end it may come down to which one has the better roleplaying community.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

I think both games will be great to play, but... SOE is not someone you want to mess with, customer service does matter to me, so Champions will prolly be the choice for me.

• J_HurryJ_Hurry Member UncommonPosts: 230

I'm a life long DC fanatic so DCUO will be my new home. However, I do plan to cap a char in Champions too and see how that goes.

LGM Alchemist (Legendary Grandmaster)
  • PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641

My guess is Champions since it will allow full blown hero customization, something important to that genre (superhero).

I suspect both will have horrible pvp though, so I might pass on both unfortunately. When I see the vids from Champions it seems like they just standing still grinding all day long CoX style. So that vexes me greatly.

DC Online might be much more grind adverse.

Hm, major worries about both studios though its a coin flip.

• TecknicTecknic Member Posts: 458

I'm definitively behind Champions Online here.  I absolutely loved City of Heroes, and it appears that CO is going to be an evolution of everything that made CoH great.  I'm not sure that I can trust DCUO to have all of those elements, and honestly, sacrificing that customization for the chance to team up with Superman isn't the sort of thing that's going to hook me.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Playing: Nothing
    Played: Champions Online, CoX, STO, PSO, WoW, lots of free-to-play crap
    Looking Forward To: DC Universe Online, Blade and Soul

• DuviousDuvious Member Posts: 116

For many of the reasons stated about I vote Champions.  I don't trust SOE but they may suprise us, let's hope so.  I have grown bored of CoX and am still playing EvE until something pulls me away.  I have high hopes for Champions and APB but keeping my fingers crossed.

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174

I'll be giving both games a try. DCUO has the DC license, which is more appealing than the Champions license. But, from what I've read, CO has a lot of depth in it's hero creation.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Suvroc

I'm not into the superhero genre much but given a choice between the two I'd go with Champions simply because SoE is associated with DC. That means it'll likely be RMT based and have some ridiculous trading card game to go with it.

Ah common now Suvroc don't let your SOE-hate blind you that much into thinking it will have RMT, as I am sure you also visit more website's then just this one and you already know for a fact that SOE is NOT going RMT with DC, there where a few 3rd party websites that posted false info about the game becoming RMT but that has been fixed by SOE by anounching that they will not go with RMT in DC.

Afcourse none of use can look into the future as things MIGHT change, but so far the game is without RMT and many people have been cuaght up with those 3rd party websites spreading those lies about the game, probebly for the same reason as others that dislike SOE and anything accociatted with it.

Anyway on Topic, I am into Superhero's, just not the once I have seen so far with games in this genre, as to me a game like CoH/V isn't the superhero type of MMORPG I would invisioned, and most likely both CO and DC will also NOT be what I expect from a superhero MMORPG.

• LondonMagusLondonMagus Member Posts: 700
    Originally posted by UWNVME

I'll be giving both games a try. DCUO has the DC license, which is more appealing than the Champions license. But, from what I've read, CO has a lot of depth in it's hero creation.

Sounds like a good plan & that's the approach I will probably take as well.

I have read comics all my life & the most enjoyable are the ones with great distinctive artists. Jim Lee is responsible for most of the in-game artwork on DCUO so it should be a great visual experience. I am not so sure how they will manage the interaction with core DC characters without it looking to cheezy, but I look forward to being pleasantly surprised. Hopefully the folks at DC will be keeping a close eye on SOE.

I also used to play a lot of pen & paper RPGs when I was a student & Champions was one of the best respected Superhero genre games. I only played it a few times at a local club, but it was great fun.

I did download the free trial for CoX last year, but even though I thought it looked like a great game, I just couldn't get into it that much. I still get tempted to pick it up every time I see it in my local 'GAME' store for only £9.99 though.

A well executed superhero MMO with decent RPG aspects would probably be my ideal game, so with both DCUO & CO coming out soon 2009 should be an interesting year.

If you can't "Have your cake & eat it too", then how can "The proof of the pudding be in the eating"?

• bluesessionbluesession Member Posts: 202

For me it depends on both, gameplay and customization.

The truth is DCU looks to have a lot better gameplay than champs.

But on the other hand, DCU has SOE. And we all know how sony can turn everything it touches into crap.

Also, i don't like DC that much, but most important, i don't want superman to be holding my hand, in fact i don't even see the reason to be a hero when superman is arround, he could just save the world by himself all the time. I would rather have my own hero and my own story.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

Until I get some hands on game time....I'm going with both ..then I'll make up my mind.

• VeviVevi Member Posts: 146

I also, will be looking at both. I am a big DC fan. I don't like SoE much at all. and I like the creativity that Cryptic has brought to past projects.

I can't say that the feel, or vibe of Champions is apealling to me.  Big thing for me with Champions is the Arch enemy system.

DC online, from what I have seen of early clips has a odd movement to it. Hopefully they will fix that and make movement more natural.  Hopefully they will follow through with the promise of being able to go to all the varried locations in the DCU.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

So far I would go gor DCU. If Cryptic didn't lose the license from Marvel things might have been different but it is more fun to play a game when you know the story and most of those heroes in DCU are from comics I read as a kid.

Also Jim Lee as art boss

• ZarraaZarraa Member Posts: 481

I too will be giving both DCU & CO a shot..

Normally I'd say Champions for it's pen & paper lineage however I've already gone the unknown hero route via CoX. Not to say Champions signature heroes are unknown but honestly they don't compare with DC's.

The idea of  quests from or assisting Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash etc is a big draw for me.  Both will have unique graphic styles and art direction as well, this should be fun.

Dutchess Zarraa Voltayre
    Reborn/Zero Sum/Ancient Legacy/Jagged Legion/Feared/Nuke & Pave.

Originally posted by Reklaw

Ah common now Suvroc don't let your SOE-hate blind you that much into thinking it will have RMT, as I am sure you also visit more website's then just this one and you already know for a fact that SOE is NOT going RMT with DC, there where a few 3rd party websites that posted false info about the game becoming RMT but that has been fixed by SOE by anounching that they will not go with RMT in DC.

Afcourse none of use can look into the future as things MIGHT change, but so far the game is without RMT and many people have been cuaght up with those 3rd party websites spreading those lies about the game, probebly for the same reason as others that dislike SOE and anything accociatted with it.

Anyway on Topic, I am into Superhero's, just not the once I have seen so far with games in this genre, as to me a game like CoH/V isn't the superhero type of MMORPG I would invisioned, and most likely both CO and DC will also NOT be what I expect from a superhero MMORPG.

Easy there Reklaw. Please don't assume that because I don't agree with what they did to SWG and their new micro-transacation business model that I'm an "SoE hater". I don't like their business ethics and speak up about that. If SoE did something great I'd applaud them for it just as much.

I honestly had no idea that it was already announced that it wasn't going to be RMT based. I even did a quick search before I posted to see if I could find any info to indicate otherwise - obviously it wasn't enough.

Interestingly you didn't mention anything about the TCG part of my post. Has there been an indictation from SoE whether there will be on or not?

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Easy there Reklaw. Please don't assume that because I don't agree with what they did to SWG and their new micro-transacation business model that I'm an "SoE hater". I don't like their business ethics and speak up about that. If SoE did something great I'd applaud them for it just as much.

I honestly had no idea that it was already announced that it wasn't going to be RMT based. I even did a quick search before I posted to see if I could find any info to indicate otherwise - obviously it wasn't enough.

Interestingly you didn't mention anything about the TCG part of my post. Has there been an indictation from SoE whether there will be on or not?

Hey Suvroc, my sincere apology, it seems it was abit to early for me to respond this morning, as I found out I made a mistake, I was confused with The Agency, to that game they have stated (SOE) that it's not gonna be RMT, while numerous of 3rd-party website's/forums have said it will be RMT. Yeah yeah me was alittle blinded ....mehhhh...

But as we know with these game company's they can change whatever and however they have planned things.

Hey Suvroc, my sincere apology, it seems it was abit to early for me to respond this morning, as I found out I made a mistake, I was confused with The Agency, to that game they have stated (SOE) that it's not gonna be RMT, while numerous of 3rd-party website's/forums have said it will be RMT. Yeah yeah me was alittle blinded ....mehhhh...

But as we know with these game company's they can change whatever and however they have planned things.

No prob, it's cool :)

• Question82Question82 Member Posts: 71

Champions Online definetely, not just because DCUO is being handled by SOE. But because Champion actually will be very very customizable by comparison. Whereas DCU, as Jim Lee said will try to make sure that your heroes look like "They belong in the DC universe" which to me translates as "we're going to limit your customization because we can't have people look like they don't belong in our game" in other words? limitations.

Also,  Champions, from what I've heard and read, will have a point system similar to SWG pre-cu. So you will have more say on what your character can do. Whereas DC seems more of the same "We will predetermine what powers you can have depending on which path you choose"

Yeah, you get to play alongside Supes and Bats... ooooooh.... so? I'm sorry, but that's just "WHOA factor" and once the whoa factor goes away you got an "ok" game (like when you saw a Jedi in SWG, the whoa factor disappeared once EVERYBODY could be Jedi)  

I'm sorry, I'm a big DC fan myself, but I'd rather focus on my own character rather then being an underling to the DC heroes. Not to mention that I hate that DCU is going to be very reminiscent of  Guild Wars. Instances GALORE! It's a dumb model, I preffer open worlds better, leaving only dungeons or big events in instances. But if most of the game is nothing but instances, then they can forget my subscription.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Champions Online for me. As stated by pretty much everyone who is going Champions Online i just don'y trust SoE anymore. They say they wont go RMT but the truth is they could change that at the drop of a hat. Now if DCU was being handled by someone else then yes i would go for DCU. But the fact is SoE just continues to make stupid decisions and I'm tired of it and unwilling to give them another chance.

• Question82Question82 Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Lexin

Champions Online for me. As stated by pretty much everyone who is going Champions Online i just don'y trust SoE anymore. They say they wont go RMT but the truth is they could change that at the drop of a hat. Now if DCU was being handled by someone else then yes i would go for DCU. But the fact is SoE just continues to make stupid decisions and I'm tired of it and unwilling to give them another chance.

Not to mention that Smedley himself has been an avid supporter of RMT microtransactions and has said that he does indeed plan on implementing it in future games (free realms is an example). So I wouldn't be surprised if SOE would do an NGE and switch the DCU monthly fee to RMT micro transactions.

• J_HurryJ_Hurry Member UncommonPosts: 230

Well looks like we'll be playing Champions first.  DCUO is looking at a late 2009/early 2010 release.

http://www.massively.com/2008/12/01/dc-universe-probably-coming-early-2010-late-2009-says-comics-wr/

LGM Alchemist (Legendary Grandmaster)