Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the PVE?

So....really all there in the title.

This game has the best graphics in the market, decent PVP, good combat system, nice guild features, mounted combat (OMGWTFBBQ) and soon to have DX10 graphics, with a large update on the way.

It's also going to tie in with XBOX 360 in the next year, making the playerbase huuuuuuuge.

My question is: Is it immersive? Do you feel sucked into the game? Is the PVE story any good?

Another....side question is: LOTRO has DX10, so which has better graphics? AoC or LOTRO?

Comments

• TransporterTransporter Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by Pabswikk

So....really all there in the title.
    This game has the best graphics in the market, decent PVP, good combat system, nice guild features, mounted combat (OMGWTFBBQ) and soon to have DX10 graphics, with a large update on the way.
    It's also going to tie in with XBOX 360 in the next year, making the playerbase huuuuuuuge.
    My question is: Is it immersive? Do you feel sucked into the game? Is the PVE story any good?
    Another....side question is: LOTRO has DX10, so which has better graphics? AoC or LOTRO?

AoC has the better graphics hands down. And another thing, a game labeling Dx10 on the box does not mean all features in DX10 is utilized to it's potential. thats in particular true for LotRO. LotRO, is nive now doubt about that, but not at the same level as AoC. AoC kills Lotro on number of rendered points in the characters. A close up of a person would just look very good, while in LotRO it will look very edged and computer game. DX10 for AoC will also be better. LotRo has nothing but improved lighting/shading, while AoC also have utilized the game physics coding.. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The PvE is good until you reach level 72 now, after that it is too thin. It is suppose to be patched in late dec-early jan, adding 2 more 80 dungeons and a big 75+ zone.

But yeah, particulary all the quests with voice are nice. The dungeons are usually not bad but there are some exceptions, Prison colony sucks big time.

I would say AoC looks better, the backgrounds are about the same but there is a big difference with the Avatars. AoC is suppose to get it's DX 10 in december but already it looks great.

Some screens:

Keshata (lvl 70+ zone)

Ice and snow looks good, Atzels Approach (60+ zone)

Purple lotus swamp, crafting zone

The avatars look really good

The game is worth trying, not everyone likes the combat system however, it differs a bit from other MMOs.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

The graphics are the best yet in an MMO, imo -- the price they paid for that was load screens between zones and subzones.  But if you can live with that there are wonderful environments, very crisp and detailed settings.  Art direction is superb.  Great character models, and quite well done animation.  It feels very tight and responsive as well.  LOTRO also has good environments, but the character models aren't nearly as good as in AoC, and neither is the animation.  I like LOTRO, but the character movements have always been a bit jerky or off -- not terrible at all, but just not up to the level of AoC.

AoC's PvE is quite good until you get into the 70s, when it becomes thinner and more grindy at the end of the curve.  The storytelling is well done, the quests are well done, and the character devlopment is fun.

The combat system, as mentioned here, is different from other MMOs in a few ways.  First, it features "combos", meaning that abilities require properly timed sequenced hits of certain keys in order to fire.  Second, facing matters -- so while the game has an autofacing function, if, for example, you are a soldier type and you swing in the midpoint between two mobs, you will damage them both -- something which makes being a tank or other heavy armored melee class quite engaging, imo.  Third, there is no autoattack -- every swing is directed by the player and can be directed in one of three directions -- and you are supposed to be targetting the direction that the mobs are not defending (thr HUD displays this). All of this serves to make the combat quite interactive and lively, and quite tightly controlled by the player as well.  But not everyone likes it, because it is quite different from other MMOs.

• WargPestWargPest Member Posts: 164

I read they used those sensor suits they use for highquality animations in movies (like Gollum in Lord of The Rings) to get it perfect. Pretty awesome shit.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by WargPest

I read they used those sensor suits they use for highquality animations in movies (like Gollum in Lord of The Rings) to get it perfect. Pretty awesome shit.

Over 2500 animation each for male and then same again for female models. A lot more than any other mmorpg character model out there.  It shows well imo.

As for the OP question about being immersive. I think that the zones and atmosphere are some of the more immersive out there.

Footsteps and mount steps are different for the terrain your on - not just the same sound all over the world

Sound effects are all 5.1, meaning that if you see a torch in a dungeon not only does it look good, you walk past and the sound is just like you hear in real life, from one ear to another. Awesome positional sounds.

Yes there are zones, some you may be in for a few hours at a time, moving from one to another provides a load screen for a few seconds, I don't see this as any major interuption personally. The pay off is you get the additional immersive bonus as described above as an example.

When DX10 hits the test server in the next few weeks positional weapon and spell effects will blend with the environment in a never seen before way in an mmorpg.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/191/view/videos/play/1296 watch this from 3.25 onwards.

especially 4.34 into the video onwards.

immersion is about interaction with the environment and although the game has numerous emotes, interaction as seen in the video is and will be a great addition.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by Loke666

The PvE is good until you reach level 72 now, after that it is too thin. It is suppose to be patched in late dec-early jan, adding 2 more 80 dungeons and a big 75+ zone.
    I would say AoC looks better, the backgrounds are about the same but there is a big difference with the Avatars. AoC is suppose to get it's DX 10 in december but already it looks great.
    Some screens:
    The avatars look really good

Looks like FC has done a lot to remove the "avatar superimposed on background" look. (Yes, thats VERY positive IMO)

But I cant help wonder about the art-direction. I am not a teen but this is a game... If I wanted to play "midlife wife" I could just log in to RL. Just compare the quoted link with this: Angelina

What the **** are FC doing? Political correctness or just trying to prove they are definately not in any way "tits up"?

For the OP: Instances have about as many positive effects as negative. If you are an "every inch of the world" explorer the instances might hurt your feeling of immersion. My guess is that most players wont really mind that - especially now since FC seems to have solved the problems with groupmembers ending up in different instances.

Mounted combat in PvE... Unless they added something within the last month or so this is not a relevant/exsting feature.

AoC vs. LOTRO dx10: AoC wins. Yes simple as that and thats AoC dx9 vs. LOTRO dx10.

As for the xbox version: Even if FC eventually get it done the impact will NOT help your "immersion". (Rampaging teens "might" spoil the setting )

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)