Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC is freakin awesome now!

Comments

• noggy1980noggy1980 Member Posts: 343
    Originally posted by Crashloop

Originally posted by Scaredgirl

This is so true. There is not one single MMO that has risen to greatness after an initial failure. Fan think that if FC just fixes a couple of bugs and add a couple of new dungeons, people will magically come running back to AoC. Wrong. Truth is most of players who quit the game are never coming back no matter what FC says or does.
    Year 2009 is full of new interesting MMO's like Guild Wars 2, Aion, Darkfall, Mortal Online, The Chronicles of Spellborn, list goes on and on.. In 6 months everyone has forgotten about AoC and only a handful of hardcore Conan fans are ganking each other in Kheshatta.

O'rly? *cough* US release of WoW *cough*

What suprised me was the fact no matter how horrible the US launch of WoW they did manage to fix it and get the 12 million players they claim to have today. If people think that Funcom's launch was bad, they probably never heard of the us release of WoW. To say it had a few bugs is a understatement, but they managed to fix it and the EU release went a lot smoother thanks to this. Blizzard had 1 advantage that helped them, and that was the fact they mainstreamed MMO's for the masses. Before blizzard made WoW a good success in any MMO was above 200K subscribers. Blizzard simplified things so that everyone suddenly could play, and they succeded big time thanks to the worldcraft series being such  a big hit from before a lot of people wanted to play the online world version too. If blizzard had made a proper MMO of Diablo I will bet that they would get an insane amounts of players due to the game it was based on.

You are talking about something totally different, WoW has at no point ever been a failure, it did not rise from an initial failure to greatness, the launch of WoW was a massive success unfortunatly it was such a success that it caused some serious server issues early on, the server I chose was down for 3 days because all the big pvp guilds decided to go to one place the server couldn't handle it. This wasn't the case for most people though.

AoC had much better server stability than WoW at launch however it was a failure because of the huge percentage of people they lost and the fact they failed to replace those people. Bug wise AoC and WoW both had a huge ammount at launch but WoW had the content and it was fun enough that most people were happy to put up with the crap because they were having fun that wasn't the case with AoC.

Also it depends what you mean by failure, there certainly has been mmo's that have failed alot more at launch like Dark and Light, however when you take into account the promise, the fan base, the budget, the marketing you can make a strong arguement that AoC has been the biggest failure. Its other competition when taking those things into account is vanguard that also spent tens of millions and failed dramatically.

• weg886weg886 Member Posts: 318

Can anyone tell me if you have to work a trade to live in this game?

WWIIOnline The Real War!

Originally posted by weg886

crafting is one of the most disapointing parts of the game and isn't necessary no.

• weg886weg886 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by noggy1980

crafting is one of the most disapointing parts of the game and isn't necessary no.

Thanks , I will wait for darkfall i guess!

I just like it where you live in a game and not just hit ppl in the head no fun.

WWIIOnline The Real War!

• ScaredgirlScaredgirl Member Posts: 313

I just like it where you live in a game and not just hit ppl in the head no fun.

Yea, crafting is a joke lol I don't even like GOOD crafting, let alone this painful grind they call crafting in AoC. If I didn't know about the crafting in AoC and someone explained it to me, I would think they are telling a joke. It really is THAT bad.

I'm waiting for Darkfall myself. I do hope they can deliver, but I'm afraid we might see another failure. So little information from devs this close to supposed launch is never a good thing.

-----------------------------
    Originally posted by Frobner
    "Massive sieges" "mounted combat" and "spellweaving" are just few words that spring to mind when I hear the word AOC.... But the word FAILURE will always top the list.

• WargPestWargPest Member Posts: 164

Yea, crafting is a joke lol I don't even like GOOD crafting, let alone this painful grind they call crafting in AoC. If I didn't know about the crafting in AoC and someone explained it to me, I would think they are telling a joke. It really is THAT bad.

I'm waiting for Darkfall myself. I do hope they can deliver, but I'm afraid we might see another failure. So little information from devs this close to supposed launch is never a good thing.

And how would you know much about crafting. You told us yourself last week that you don't have had a sub for 3 months. Hey good posting by the way 200 posts in 1.5 weeks. Like your work MMORPG. Like it, you are the best.

• TjommisTjommis Member UncommonPosts: 225

I agree, the crafting system in AoC is not good at all. They are working to improve it, but it has until now only seen modest improvements. I guess this was one of the biggest shockers for me, being an old AO player, which has one of the most complex and intricate crafting systems in the entire genre. But then again, that gives me hope they will get it right eventually too.

Edit: Typo

• sadnebulasadnebula Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by usnavynuc

LOL Scared almost 200 posts and only been a member for 10 days.  Stop the constant flames and get back to gaming lol

man, i really need to work on this.

• WargPestWargPest Member Posts: 164

There is a ton of new content in. And  more is coming

Originally posted by WargPest

And how would you know much about crafting. You told us yourself last week that you don't have had a sub for 3 months. Hey good posting by the way 200 posts in 1.5 weeks. Like your work MMORPG. Like it, you are the best.

You always try to make it sound like the game has changed massivly and so anyone who hasn't played for a couple of months can't comment it's simply not true and its certainly not true for crafting. They have added some new recipes but for the most part crafting is worse and more useless than it was a few months ago due to the appauling way the gem nerf was handled.

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671

the games got good graphics and sound thats about all i can say positive about it. you had no lag spikes and your petition was answered in 30min. both for the same reason...games population is in the toilet. pvp blows unless you play one of the 3 viable classes and the end game is still buggy as hell....what endgame there is lol. mmos dont get a 2nd chance. the only reason this game is still up is because if they pull the plug on it they will lose all the xbox ppl that they plan to sucker in.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

The game is much more fun than it was at release, I agree.  There is still a lot to be done, but Funcom is slowly getting there.

I was a big supporter of WAR for a while, but I've concluded that WAR has bigger issues than AoC does at this point, because WAR's issues are harder to fix due to being design-related issues for the most part.  So while I would never have said this in September, and this point I'd have to say AoC is the better game.  It still needs a lot of work, but given the changes that have been made so far, it's quite fun and on the right track.

• arkady09arkady09 Member Posts: 245

This is so true. There is not one single MMO that has risen to greatness after an initial failure. Fan think that if FC just fixes a couple of bugs and add a couple of new dungeons, people will magically come running back to AoC. Wrong. Truth is most of players who quit the game are never coming back no matter what FC says or does.
    Year 2009 is full of new interesting MMO's like Guild Wars 2, Aion, Darkfall, Mortal Online, The Chronicles of Spellborn, list goes on and on.. In 6 months everyone has forgotten about AoC and only a handful of hardcore Conan fans are ganking each other in Kheshatta.

What suprised me was the fact no matter how horrible the US launch of WoW they did manage to fix it and get the 12 million players they claim to have today. If people think that Funcom's launch was bad, they probably never heard of the us release of WoW. To say it had a few bugs is a understatement, but they managed to fix it and the EU release went a lot smoother thanks to this. Blizzard had 1 advantage that helped them, and that was the fact they mainstreamed MMO's for the masses. Before blizzard made WoW a good success in any MMO was above 200K subscribers. Blizzard simplified things so that everyone suddenly could play, and they succeded big time thanks to the worldcraft series being such  a big hit from before a lot of people wanted to play the online world version too. If blizzard had made a proper MMO of Diablo I will bet that they would get an insane amounts of players due to the game it was based on.

AoC is far from the most played games these days, but it does have a few advantages the graphics and the combat system. Funcom did one thing right, they tried something new. Something that for the playerbase that is now stands out what makes the game unique and special. MMO players are not easy to forgive and forget, look at yourself and a few others that actually made me use my account on this page. constantly bashing the game every chance you get. It's fun that a game that you seem to dislike that much, still is good enough to let you occupy so much time trying to convince the players that it really isn't. Doomsayers is  a funny breed tho, and every game have them.

WOW launch = the game was so popular they actually had to stop selling it as blizzard, being an upstanding company, knew they could not provide the service to any more people.   Blizzard moved Swiftly and erected tons of servers and kept on that steady pace ever since.  People were upset because they couldnt play the game THEY LOVED because of queues/servers packed full. 

AOC launch = 800 people tried to play and they did add server pretty rapidly.  Then people realized the game was a shallow wow clone filled bugs and instancing in the entire world and left. Half the subs left in the first month and then it was just a rock rolling down a hill only to land in a lake and sink further.

Nuff said.

• TransporterTransporter Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by URMAKER

the games got good graphics and sound thats about all i can say positive about it. you had no lag spikes and your petition was answered in 30min. both for the same reason...games population is in the toilet. pvp blows unless you play one of the 3 viable classes and the end game is still buggy as hell....what endgame there is lol. mmos dont get a 2nd chance. the only reason this game is still up is because if they pull the plug on it they will lose all the xbox ppl that they plan to sucker in.

Another blinded hate comment with no tie to reality. Everybody that played when patch 2.0 came out, know that performance changed so wildly over the night that the change was due to nothing else tha code changes. Same thing with regards to latency/lag issues a few patches back.  Stay cool.

• h0rcrux05h0rcrux05 Member Posts: 3

For the past few months, AoC, despite of all the improvements, is still experiencing a loss in terms of the figures of its subscribers. Was it that awful as what people are making out?

Anyway, its good to hear that AoC is getting better.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I resubbed two days ago. Tabula Rasa had been my main game for awhile. I like what I see so far. Looking forward to DX10, and hoping it will run well.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• IKShadowIKShadow Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by silmaril

Originally posted by skeaser

I'm glad to hear it. If I see a few more people saying that the game has improved, I may jump back in here in a couple of months.
    Have they added more content to get you all the way to end game without lulls?

There's still a level range from around 75 to 80 that quests content is lacking, at least if you want to solo. That should be remedied with the two high level dungeons coming in the next game update though.

Just wait for common district lvl 70-70 area that should be released in January .. most likely after that one all ex subscribers will get some free time.

Futilez[Do You Have What It Takes ?]

• PezzBombPezzBomb Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by IKShadow

Originally posted by silmaril

Originally posted by skeaser

I'm glad to hear it. If I see a few more people saying that the game has improved, I may jump back in here in a couple of months.
    Have they added more content to get you all the way to end game without lulls?

There's still a level range from around 75 to 80 that quests content is lacking, at least if you want to solo. That should be remedied with the two high level dungeons coming in the next game update though.

Just wait for common district lvl 70-70 area that should be released in January .. most likely after that one all ex subscribers will get some free time.

There is also coming 2 solid lvl 80 areas. That's a lot of content. I am mid 60's now and PvP Lvl 3. Doing pretty good in PvP in fact. Murderers have come to fear me on my server.

• courtsdadcourtsdad Member Posts: 326

I don't see WoW US launch as a failure. Sure it was horrible but you know what's the difference between WoW and AoC launch? The difference is that AoC lost 90% of players and WoW didn't. This is why I don't consider WoW launch a failure while AoC launch was the biggest failure in history. Sure WoW players were angry and all, bout they didn't quit. Like you said, Blizzard fixed it and today they have 12 million subscribers. AoC has about 75k.

If you think AoC was a failure at launch well then you should update yourself on titles that have failed worse. :)

But keep up hating the game, but please do provide facts that aoc has lost 90% and that the current subscriber base is 75K. Surely you must be able to do so other then using xfire as reference?

Please post major games that failed worse within the first two months? Vanguard?

• courtsdadcourtsdad Member Posts: 326

You are talking about something totally different, WoW has at no point ever been a failure, it did not rise from an initial failure to greatness, the launch of WoW was a massive success unfortunatly it was such a success that it caused some serious server issues early on, the server I chose was down for 3 days because all the big pvp guilds decided to go to one place the server couldn't handle it. This wasn't the case for most people though.

AoC had much better server stability than WoW at launch however it was a failure because of the huge percentage of people they lost and the fact they failed to replace those people. Bug wise AoC and WoW both had a huge ammount at launch but WoW had the content and it was fun enough that most people were happy to put up with the crap because they were having fun that wasn't the case with AoC.

Also it depends what you mean by failure, there certainly has been mmo's that have failed alot more at launch like Dark and Light, however when you take into account the promise, the fan base, the budget, the marketing you can make a strong arguement that AoC has been the biggest failure. Its other competition when taking those things into account is vanguard that also spent tens of millions and failed dramatically.

I should hav ejust quoted this :) Well said

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Even though AoC may be getting better they have already scared off their player base.  Really, it's to late now :/

They would have to do something amazing to get people back (or maybe offer old subscribers some free play time to tempt them?).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by NasherUK

They would have to do something amazing to get people back (or maybe offer old subscribers some free play time to tempt them?).

There are some rumours that this will happen after X-mas.

Anyways, they should wait with it until OT: Common is up, lvl 72+ still are grindy.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Who ever said that the first 20 lvls were not good ? 
    And then we have a "player" coming saying the game is now great and isn't evern passed starting area....
    Im sorry but the starting area is probably the MAIN reason I will never come back to AOC.  I played it now like 50 times since CB and I really hate the place now.   The desig of AOC as a linear game is just one more proof how badly things have been handled from start to finish. 
    Its just badly designed game in core mecanics.   Personally I would have made many starting areas and made a nice 3-4 way DIFFRENT storyline with speech at the core quests instead of spending 10 gb on it in Torture.

I have to agree with you here and I will not be fooled, these games companies need to get it right from the off and not 6 to12 months down the line when they finally start sorting out the big issues.  I always try and go back to see if things have changed about 9 months or so, but i'll not be ever going back to any Unfuncom game again, two games and although AOC did not suffer from the same problems as AO did they have not learnt at all, fools...

I went and tried Vanguard and they have now brought a new stat area/island which introduce some nice noob items which give you a good start off the isle, but again I am reluctent to re-sub until they sort the high end out, which they appear to be doing atm.  I think if the OP has a better rig you should try VG and then you will not go back to AOC.

I need another sandbox rather than linear game i'm getting bored out of my tit's with all the junk which has been thrown at us over the last two years. I have returned to Eve just to get some playtime in.

Asbo

• BearShammyBearShammy Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by NightBandit

And then we have a "player" coming saying the game is now great and isn't evern passed starting area....
    Im sorry but the starting area is probably the MAIN reason I will never come back to AOC.  I played it now like 50 times since CB and I really hate the place now.   The desig of AOC as a linear game is just one more proof how badly things have been handled from start to finish. 
    Its just badly designed game in core mecanics.   Personally I would have made many starting areas and made a nice 3-4 way DIFFRENT storyline with speech at the core quests instead of spending 10 gb on it in Torture.

I have to agree with you here and I will not be fooled, these games companies need to get it right from the off and not 6 to12 months down the line when they finally start sorting out the big issues.  I always try and go back to see if things have changed about 9 months or so, but i'll not be ever going back to any Unfuncom game again, two games and although AOC did not suffer from the same problems as AO did they have not learnt at all, fools...

I went and tried Vanguard and they have now brought a new stat area/island which introduce some nice noob items which give you a good start off the isle, but again I am reluctent to re-sub until they sort the high end out, which they appear to be doing atm.  I think if the OP has a better rig you should try VG and then you will not go back to AOC.

I need another sandbox rather than linear game i'm getting bored out of my tit's with all the junk which has been thrown at us over the last two years. I have returned to Eve just to get some playtime in.

Are you insane.. Thats two different league of games. I have played botha and AoC is so damn great compare to Vanguard, even from start. Regarding rest of your moontalk above, I think you need to calibrate most of your staetments. First of all, AoC performs great on all rigs of minimum requirements or more today. Second, 95% of MMOs today have had a 3-6 months performance increase period before getting fully up to speed. So why not allow AoC the same. AoC by the way have the heftyest graphics of any MMO out there. It does certainly not make sense to be more forgiving on games that still runs last decades technology. I agree with OP. AoC have had so much stuff improved over the last 3 months that it is sick. FC keep up the good work.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by BearShammy

Originally posted by NightBandit

Are you insane.. Thats two different league of games. I have played botha and AoC is so damn great compare to Vanguard, even from start. Regarding rest of your moontalk above, I think you need to calibrate most of your staetments. First of all, AoC performs great on all rigs of minimum requirements or more today. Second, 95% of MMOs today have had a 3-6 months performance increase period before getting fully up to speed. So why not allow AoC the same. AoC by the way have the heftyest graphics of any MMO out there. It does certainly not make sense to be more forgiving on games that still runs last decades technology. I agree with OP. AoC have had so much stuff improved over the last 3 months that it is sick. FC keep up the good work.

Of course it's all matters of opinion, but I disagree.  I've also played both, and I believe that Vanguard is a much better game than AoC overall.

Which is funny, because they both had similar starts - AoC is the Vanguard of 2008.

AoC has better graphics, but Vanguard is better in just about every other aspect of gameplay.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.