Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Missiles or Hybrid Turrets?

What is better to use for PvP, Missiles or Hybrid Turrets? 

Comments

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

Originally posted by Muirin
    What is better to use for PvP, Missiles or Hybrid Turrets? 

it depends.

Basters are great up close and personal, Gallante speced.
    Rails are good for sniper fleets.
    Missiles can be ok at range (but flight time issues)
    Close range missiles are quite nice for gank.
    Missiles can vary damage type.
    Missiles can have FoF

what is good for PvP depends on what you are facing and how you face it.

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

It depends.  Every weapon system has it's ups and downs.

Blasters do the best DPS of any weapon in their size class, but have an extremely short range.  Blasterboat pilots tend to worry most about getting to range before they get shot to pieces, and larger blasters tend to have difficulty tracking smaller targets.

Railguns do good damage at very long range, but don't have the tracking to hit anything up close, and on MWD ships can have issues tracking regardless (particularly if using a heavily tracking-penalized ammo like Spike)

Missiles (standard, heavy, cruise) are unaffected by tracking and with the recent changes are pretty much guaranteed to hit anything in their rather long range, but they have a hard time damaging targets smaller than their explosion radius and targets moving faster than their explosion velocity.

And rockets / torps / HAMs have the same issues as missiles, only a much shorter range and a much higher theoritcal DPS (as well as easier-to-fit launchers).

There is no real 'best' - knowing the abilities and limitations of your chosen weapon system is what makes the difference between a successful pilot and a fail pilot.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

I think it really depends on what ship your going to fly and how your going to fight. I would say it's best to come up with a plan and then train the skills and buy the modules you need. Once you've completely mastered that approach move on to another, keeping in mind the ship you are going to use next and it's bonuses. It's all about adding abilities to your repertoire.

As a general rule tho, I would say rails for PVP and missiles for PVE. YMMV

• WagrofWagrof Member Posts: 32

Don't do the mistake and train for missiles for pvp.

They still have some use in missions, because you can deal damage of one type on the rat's weakest defence, compared to split damagetypes of most turrets (e.g. kinetik/thermal for rails), but for pvp i'd not train after the last update.

I have over 12 million skillpoints in missiles and close to 7 million in gunnery, and my turret ships usually outperform the missiles already in most pvp situations (small gang  to large fleet warfare). There are specific situations where missiles might be better (e.g. a torp raven against a target that is webbed and target painted multiple times, or a nighthawk against orbiting tacklers), but in general i'd say keep the fingers away from missiles, it's wasted skilltime unless you plan to become a missionrunner.