Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is this game being hyped and by who?

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168

I mean come on, one screen shot and it's rising in hype even above Darkfall? I'm not a DF fan but something seems fishy to me.

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

probably by the folks that are making it, and to make money, of course!

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Yeah, recently the MO fanbois seemed to have found this site and have started a campaign to hype the game here.  Not quite sure what sets them in motion.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

Didn't 70% of Funcom's US branch just get canned? Particularly the ones responsible for marketing and advertisements? Happened around the same time Mortal Online started getting pumped up. Probably just a coincidence :)

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Well i don't get out much but I never really heard any hype about this game.  You come here all you see is posts about DF every 5 seconds, I  think this is maybe the 10th post  ive seen about MO.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168

Hmmm, I hope this isn't another game that ends up being 10 years in the making so we have to listen to the hype for that long.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• StumpLTStumpLT Member Posts: 2

The devs are working on the game. They give us detailed information about the game every month, as they promised. We, who are in the forums and IRC actualy know the "Vision" what devs are aiming, and know much more than it is posted in MO official site. The thing I can tell is prepare your money and computers for the coming summer. And shut the f*** up.

The game placing in MMORPG.com is just one more strategical step that is sooner or later had to be done, now you blame them for it. Do you use your brains, people?

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

Orrrrr maybe it's because mmorpg.com has actually had quite a few fans of MO on this site for at least over a year now, and they are feeling proud of their game FINALLY making it here. Especially when comparing the quality and promise to DFO (since you brought up the comparison).

Most of the posts are more congradulatory on MO finally being shown here, and the only few others are people asking questions about it- both very valid reasons given it's new spot. I expect things to die down for a while, and be just like many other highly anticipated games- such as KOTOR and STO, to name a couple. One thing that will happen though, is that you know MO's PR won't be anything like DFO. MO actually IS a real game in the making

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Yeah, recently the MO fanbois seemed to have found this site and have started a campaign to hype the game here.  Not quite sure what sets them in motion.

Originally posted by Kainis
    Orrrrr maybe it's because mmorpg.com has actually had quite a few fans of MO on this site for at least over a year now, and they are feeling proud of their game FINALLY making it here.

I have to disappoint both of you. Not even 1 member of MO forum wanted to see the game listed on this hate service.
    But after it became a fact, every MO so called fanboi hyped MO with 1. If you at least took some time to read couple responses regarding MO's appearance in this gamesite before you started to troll, you'd know that.
    Hope you feel foolish now.

and btw. Tillamook, don't expect too much from this game, as it's going to be vaporware. As every sandbox game.

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436
    Originally posted by joshe

Orrrrr maybe it's because mmorpg.com has actually had quite a few fans of MO on this site for at least over a year now, and they are feeling proud of their game FINALLY making it here.

I have to disappoint both of you. Not even 1 member of MO forum wanted to see the game listed on this hate service.

But after it became a fact, every MO so called fanboi hyped MO with 1. If you at least took some time to read couple responses regarding MO's appearance in this gamesite before you started to troll, you'd know that.

and btw. Tillamook, don't expect too much from this game, as it's going to be vaporware. As every sandbox game.

Perhaps I won't be disappointed. If I am, there is always something else coming up... On the other hand, you really should have learned your history by now. Not every fan hangs out on official forums. This place has been teeming for months at the cracks, of fans that have begged to have MO placed here. While you are right that the "official forums" aren't exactly ecstacic about the idea, that doesn't mean that they are the only fans either. So this place is a hatefest. That's what you have to deal with when you play with the big boys and start to become known.

But now that it is here, there will be spotlight shown on it. It will get the typical hate and questioning, along with the blinde fanboism. That is where the game puts up or shuts up, and I happen to think that MO has a better chance than certain others of doing so- at least for right now. I also happen to think that its a good thing that more people will have a chance to dig into what is making it tik. It gives the devs a chance to see what is marketable, and what isn't. Sure they want to make their own game, and I hope they do end up doing that. But it also has to make money, otherwise- why even try? To please you?

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• M4koM4ko Member Posts: 385

this game hasnt been hyped. mmorpg.com got paid to put it on top. just like the never-heard-of KOTOR star wars.

• ProminentProminent Member Posts: 51

Every MMO is marketed and every game company want a bit hype. Nothing wrong with that. And I can´t see  that this game is more hyped than DF. I have to say this game is much less hyped than AoC, Vanguard, Lich King, DF etc ... was. Allmost noone have written about this game ... until now.

What makes me surprise is that so many people are so negative towards new MMO ... sometimes I wonder why? This game will most likely not be the one for everyone. It will have it´s fan base as most of the games .... but I am confident that it will have more subscribers than AoC a half year after release. People in this company knows what they are doing. I think it will have more than 200.000 subscribers a half year after the release.

Vaporware? Well they are on schedule and they saves massive of development time using the unreal engine and they don't do quests ... the players are doing that them self.

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381
    You should check the official site 1st and read into before you start to think it is over hyped, it has been in development since 2002 and will be out summer 2009 and for what i have read it is going to be totaly worth it with 1st person and no level restrictions only skills you skill up by doing sertain stuff plus also the ability to pvp anywhere and when ever you like but with conciquensis if you kill a inoccent.
  • EupolemosEupolemos Member Posts: 9

Game looks cool, hype seems fair.

Eupolemos Agis
    Former damn-good-looking Armsman of the Custodes Fati, Guinevere.

• rageagainstrageagainst Member Posts: 618
    Originally posted by charlespayne

You should check the official site 1st and read into before you start to think it is over hyped, it has been in development since 2002 and will be out summer 2009 and for what i have read it is going to be totaly worth it with 1st person and no level restrictions only skills you skill up by doing sertain stuff plus also the ability to pvp anywhere and when ever you like but with conciquensis if you kill a inoccent.

heres where the double standard thing comes in, im not referring to you specifically but the entire reception of MO, its pretty good.

Despite the fact that we really have no proof this game has been in development since 2002 (it probably was) and we have no proof it will be out at summer 2009 as there is very little info about it out there, compared DF which will be coming out in a similar time (my bids on January 09). Yet whenever DF releases 1 new video, 1 new beta update, EVERYONE cries vaporware.

And an important thing to note, dev interaction with audience =/= good game, i know you're pissed that Aventurine has horrible interaction with its fans, but that by no means it will be a bad game. Vangaurd and AoC had GREAT interaction with its fans, look how that turned out. There's no causation OR correlation b/w the two variables.

When I'm energetic I'm:

When I'm at default I'm:

WHITE/BLUE

Lol according to this I'm bipolar :O

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652

If hype = excitement.   This game does create a lot of excitement for me.   I don't think they level of hype is entirely unexpected.   The hype will slowly trickle down,  its done the same for AoC War and KOTOR.   I don't think it will drop far though.  This game looks like its got potential.

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by rageagainst

heres where the double standard thing comes in, im not referring to you specifically but the entire reception of MO, its pretty good.
    Despite the fact that we really have no proof this game has been in development since 2002 (it probably was) and we have no proof it will be out at summer 2009 as there is very little info about it out there, compared DF which will be coming out in a similar time (my bids on January 09). Yet whenever DF releases 1 new video, 1 new beta update, EVERYONE cries vaporware.
    And an important thing to note, dev interaction with audience =/= good game, i know you're pissed that Aventurine has horrible interaction with its fans, but that by no means it will be a bad game. Vangaurd and AoC had GREAT interaction with its fans, look how that turned out. There's no causation OR correlation b/w the two variables.

This last part = TRUTH. 

Good Public Relations Doesn't Mean Jack!!!!!

Bad Public Relations Doesn't Mean Jack!!!

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

i'm hyping because its not another wow/war/lotro type mmorpg, but feel free to stay with your mainstream mmo's where every decision is made for you while you follow a pre-defined path.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by cukimunga

Well i don't get out much but I never really heard any hype about this game.  You come here all you see is posts about DF every 5 seconds, I  think this is maybe the 10th post  ive seen about MO.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Haven't heard much about it, and this forum is only several days old. That's probably why the hype meter  is up atm.

• admiralnlsonadmiralnlson Member UncommonPosts: 240

Actually, some of the MO fanboys talked about hyping the game down so that people from mmorpg.com don't come and ruin the MO official forums...

And I understand that they'd want to do that, since 90% of people here are brainwashed by theme park games, and a lot of others are convinced you cannot make a game better than DF for some reason...

---
    Waiting for: GW2
    *thumbs up*: GW, Eve(, WoW)
    *thumbs down*: MO, GA, FE

• L1ghtsabeRL1ghtsabeR Member Posts: 102

Correct, admiralnlson.

Most of the MO community who post on the official forums were quite sad because of this news, since non of us really want to get bombarded with trolls and vaporvare screamers...

• shadenisshadenis Member Posts: 217

Edited because i didn't noticed your sarcasm.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    the old days, the days of gold.

representer of euhporium, shade/amity , high member of the council.

played

UO,M59,EVE,L2,AC,GW,WOW,LOTRO,SWG pre cu/nge,COH/COV, VG,TR,L1, POTBS,Neocron 1 and 2, DAOC pre TOA and age of conan

playing: EVE ONLINE
    Waiting for Earthrise, FE, bioware mmo, guild wars 2, DFO , mortal online , the chronicles of spellborn

• admiralnlsonadmiralnlson Member UncommonPosts: 240

lol Shadenis.

You used sarcasm but didn't realize joshe was actually using sarcasm himself.

Nice xD

---
    Waiting for: GW2
    *thumbs up*: GW, Eve(, WoW)
    *thumbs down*: MO, GA, FE

• shadenisshadenis Member Posts: 217
    Originally posted by admiralnlson

lol Shadenis.
    You used sarcasm but didn't realize joshe was actually using sarcasm himself.
    Nice xD

Did he use sarcasm?

I didn't notice that .

Oh , i am sorry joshe then. I will edit it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    the old days, the days of gold.

representer of euhporium, shade/amity , high member of the council.

played

UO,M59,EVE,L2,AC,GW,WOW,LOTRO,SWG pre cu/nge,COH/COV, VG,TR,L1, POTBS,Neocron 1 and 2, DAOC pre TOA and age of conan

playing: EVE ONLINE
    Waiting for Earthrise, FE, bioware mmo, guild wars 2, DFO , mortal online , the chronicles of spellborn

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Well, sarcasm is a very sophisticated irony - which I thought would be too heavy to use here ;)

To bring some facts, sandbox games aren't vaporware. You could think so, when DFo was the only 1 such game in development.
    But now, at the end of 2008, where I see 4 such games to come into being, would that have sense ? DFo community already proved, that a huge number of players demand such games, and all its possibilities. I'm quite happy with the path SV has chosen. They don't advertise by force their game, telling that will give a star. Most of its community users just heard about that game from other ones. Nobody asked mmorpg.com to list this game at this time, cause it'd be better if dev had something to show beside 1.5 teaser, 2 sshots and some concept arts.

Did I mention that some creature concepts posted by users will be added to MO ? :)

btw: I really propose you not to overhype your wishes about any game. But stay with those, which are already created, implemented, and work. Apart from well known seamless ffa pvp full loot gameplay, I'm very pleased knowing there will be mounted combat (like in M&B), "epic" monsters called in current mmorpg bosses - with a slight distinction: once you scout such monster and kill it (having enough luck and skills), it's gone. It wont be spawned again after X hours, whatfor it should do that anyway. Those are facts, so stay with them rather imagining things which just might not work with MO concept ;)

edit: at last MO's hype went down enough to make the game disappear in the top rated list.

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

Well, sarcasm is a very sophisticated irony - which I thought would be too heavy to use here ;)
    To bring some facts, sandbox games aren't vaporware. You could think so, when DFo was the only 1 such game in development.

But now, at the end of 2008, where I see 4 such games to come into being, would that have sense ? DFo community already proved, that a huge number of players demand such games, and all its possibilities. I'm quite happy with the path SV has chosen. They don't advertise by force their game, telling that will give a star. Most of its community users just heard about that game from other ones. Nobody asked mmorpg.com to list this game at this time, cause it'd be better if dev had something to show beside 1.5 teaser, 2 sshots and some concept arts.
    Did I mention that some creature concepts posted by users will be added to MO ? :)
    btw: I really propose you not to overhype your wishes about any game. But stay with those, which are already created, implemented, and work. Apart from well known seamless ffa pvp full loot gameplay, I'm very pleased knowing there will be mounted combat (like in M&B), "epic" monsters called in current mmorpg bosses - with a slight distinction: once you scout such monster and kill it (having enough luck and skills), it's gone. It wont be spawned again after X hours, whatfor it should do that anyway. Those are facts, so stay with them rather imagining things which just might not work with MO concept ;)

edit: at last MO's hype went down enough to make the game disappear in the top rated list.

actually sarcasm is the lowest form of humour.Everyone can be sarcastic but not everyone is funny.

This discussion has been closed.