Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Dying?

Has the release of the expansions to EQ2, LOTRO and WOW put the final nail in the coffin for this game?

I played VG for a month and the lag and low FPS killed it for me.....not to mention some of the bugs

MMO Played-EQ, EQ2, WOW, DDO, GW, COH, Vanguard, WAR

MMOs Playing-LOTRO

Comments

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

Originally posted by DarkRanger65
    Has the release of the expansions to EQ2, LOTRO and WOW put the final nail in the coffin for this game?

I played VG for a month and the lag and low FPS killed it for me.....not to mention some of the bugs

No its not dying, had a lot of new players from Isle of Dawn, some returning from other over hyped games.

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

I would say just the opposite. With the free trial and all the improvements it is actually starting to grow slowly.

In my opinion Vanguard now stands alone as the best sandbox game out. Not to say it's the most polished but it's far more polished now than it was 18 months ago.

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279

Copeland speaks the truth, it is more polished now - those that couldn't play it at launch may well be able to do so now with few problems. I'll say it again though, sub numbers are very small and it's got a lot to do if it's going to grow and be profitable in the future...

• AlennaAlenna Member UncommonPosts: 114

Today 17-18 p.m EU +2 gtm 46 ppl online no itsnot death pop will get better and better!!!

need lots of pvp polish.....

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Copeland

I would say just the opposite. With the free trial and all the improvements it is actually starting to grow slowly.

In my opinion Vanguard now stands alone as the best sandbox game out. Not to say it's the most polished but it's far more polished now than it was 18 months ago.

Its Not a "SandBox" game. Its a Free Range game. There is a Diff ;p

And I just Resubbed. So thats one more ;p

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• MallarkyMallarky Member Posts: 73

Also just resubbed!  Vanguard is the only thing that gives me that EQ1 feeling of adventure. 

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Alenna

Today 17-18 p.m EU +2 gtm 46 ppl online no itsnot death pop will get better and better!!!
    need lots of pvp polish.....

An hour later it was only you and me online...

it was more lvl 1-10 online then whatyou claim

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

Vanguard is, was, and will be dead. Move on.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Copeland

VG is not sandbox, but is the best theme park PvE game with the most freedom and sandbox feeling currently on the market. The only sandbox elements in VG are in crafting system.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • R4WkU5R4WkU5 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Is a shame, I quit playing because leveling in deserted areas with seemingly no hope for any grouping killed it for me 

Was a very good game though at the point I picked it up but I want to feel like it's an MMO otherwise the game doesn't work, like any MMO

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

quite the opposite.  its now a stable and decent game.  i see plenty of people at both max level and in the low to mid levels.  it drops off sharply at around 40 but picks up again at 48 (when you can attend raids).  overall its a good game.  Crafting and Diplomacy seem to keep it afloat as they are so indepth and meaningfull...and such a sweet thing to do when you are bored of hitting things with a big stick.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by RedwoodSap

Vanguard is, was, and will be dead. Move on.

You clearly haven't played a dead MMO. I got Vanguard 2 weeks ago and I was expecting far, far less people than I saw.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

Vanguard is not dead, far from it. Its the best PvE experience out there.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

First off Vanguard was never alive, and I played for it for 9 months.  The game is not sandbox.  If you go anywhere off the beaten path then it is a wasteland of emptyness.  Don't be fooled by people saying the population is increasing.  I guess when you have 100 people online and it increase to 200 then you think "Holy Sh*t, the population has like doubled!"

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

I love this game, I try to leave it for new games, but come back all the time. But the population is rather small, actually I think it has decreased, my feel (which could be way wrong) is that it was a lot more players playing this time last year.

Originally posted by Letsinod

First off Vanguard was never alive, and I played for it for 9 months.  The game is not sandbox.  If you go anywhere off the beaten path then it is a wasteland of emptyness.  Don't be fooled by people saying the population is increasing.  I guess when you have 100 people online and it increase to 200 then you think "Holy Sh*t, the population has like doubled!"

You just contradicted yourself? If the population isn't increasing how can the population increase from 100 to 200? Really now. Make up your mind as to exactly what your argument is.

Secondly, sandbox isn't determined by how many people are along the way. You can do what you want, when you want. The number of people doing it along with you is irrelevant. Do you know what sandbox means?

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Excellent game now, all it really needs now is a decent expansion and maybe some end game content.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

I would echo the majority of responses and say that it is far from 'dead'. Sure it has one of the smaller populations out there, but it is growing every day as a result of the Isle of Dawn trial.

• jh76jh76 Member Posts: 4

I think when people say sandbox, I think they are referring to all the factional based quest you can get.  There are so many places where you just dungen crawl or adventure in far off places just to gain experince and faction to open up speical quest and storylines. You don't get that "theme park" feeling you get in so many of the newer MMO's today. Combine that with diplomacy,  crafting and the player ran ecomony and its as close to a sandbox game you are going to get since SWG and EvE. The only difference is VG is level based. Maybe its not sandbox, but it is a freeform game where there are several hidden and very involved quest that are not marked with a "!" and very far off the public paths.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

I think Dr. McCoy can say it better than I can:

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206
    Originally posted by Letsinod

You played for 9 months so I'm assuming your comment about the modern state of the game implies that you are within that 9 month period or are you talking about the game like it was a year ago?

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Lydon

Secondly, sandbox isn't determined by how many people are along the way. You can do what you want, when you want. The number of people doing it along with you is irrelevant. Do you know what sandbox means?

You are Wrong on Sandbox. Sanbox Means that You the player can Have some to Great Effect on the world. In Vanguard You have NONE. Like you said tho, it is "Free Range" Or "Open Theam Park"

Course Most MMO's are Open theam. There never was Anyone on WOW telling me I had to do this Next set of quests.. Heck i spent most of my time Dooing other things from what most people do in that game. (And i lvled Ungodly slow because of it).

ATM I can not think of a True Sandbox game.Edit Eve is one Old Starwars was a Sandbox game and UO was the Biggest and Most True Sandbox game there was. Both have been Butched from that tho.

In Vanguard I have yet to Do a Dungen. Not TK Not anything. Wanted to. But just havent. Prohaps its time. Im lvl 22 atm With a Brother Hood thats all Unsubscribed.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

Originally posted by Ekibiogami 
    You are Wrong on Sandbox. Sanbox Means that You the player can Have some to Great Effect on the world. In Vanguard You have NONE. Like you said tho, it is "Free Range" Or "Open Theam Park"
    Course Most MMO's are Open theam. There never was Anyone on WOW telling me I had to do this Next set of quests.. Heck i spent most of my time Dooing other things from what most people do in that game. (And i lvled Ungodly slow because of it).
    ATM I can not think of a True Sandbox game.Edit Eve is one Old Starwars was a Sandbox game and UO was the Biggest and Most True Sandbox game there was. Both have been Butched from that tho.
    In Vanguard I have yet to Do a Dungen. Not TK Not anything. Wanted to. But just havent. Prohaps its time. Im lvl 22 atm With a Brother Hood thats all Unsubscribed.

By simply googling "define:Sandbox game" the following is the result:

A sandbox game (or a video game with an optional sandbox mode) is a video game with an open-ended and non-linear style of gameplay...

My point.

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Originally posted by Lydon

Your definition is wrong. Sandbox has nothing to do with impact on world (That's actually usually the exact opposite). Sandbox is simply nonlinear world with no barriers, no invisible walls, no impassable terrain, no level requirements for anything.

• ClatilClatil Member Posts: 41

I want to know honestly, at peak times, how many people are gona be online on the most populated server? I'm really interested in playing this game but when I first tried it was too buggy, then I tried again after the fixes and the world was too empty. What are the odds of me finding groups consistently at lower levels