Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about starting

napalmninjanapalmninja Member UncommonPosts: 114

Im thinking about starting this game and i have a question is this a good solo friendly kind of game where i can enjoy most of the game going solo or do I have to group to get farther into the game and get better items and stuff like that?

Comments

• kakarikakari Member Posts: 15

My memories of this game is old, it dates back to 2003. But from my old experience, this was NOT a solo friendly game. Even killing a even level monster was a risky adventure.

But time is 2008 now. Things could have, and probably, have changed.

I came back to this game recently, and I haven't found much differences in terms of solo-ability. In other words, still not a solo friendly game.

You will do find until level 10 or so alone though.

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by maxpower

Im thinking about starting this game and i have a question is this a good solo friendly kind of game where i can enjoy most of the game going solo or do I have to group to get farther into the game and get better items and stuff like that?

Unfortunately, you do have to group to get farther into the game and get better items and stuff.

However, FFXI is easily enjoyable once youre used to playing in 6-man parties. :)

• wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405

Some class can solo.

RDM, BLM, DNC, Nin, bluemage, PUP...etc. Just why would you spend 6 hour soloing just to gain 1 level with risk of dying when you can gain 1 level every 2-3 hour with a group with little risk on wipe?

The reason why no one brother to solo is because you lose experience. If wow have lose experience on death, the game wouldn't even be solo game anymore. (Daoc is the same, you don't solo as much)

none

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by wrongfeifong

Some class can solo.
    RDM, BLM, DNC, Nin, bluemage, PUP...etc. Just why would you spend 6 hour soloing just to gain 1 level with risk of dying when you can gain 1 level every 2-3 hour with a group with little risk on wipe?
    Well, some people do it for different reasons. Sometimes they like the option of going solo when they don't feel like grouping ('cause sometimes you just don't want to be around other people... It happens :-p)

Also, some like the challenge of being able to defeat mobs intended for a group entirely on their own. It's as much as the challenge of doing it as it is the xp reward.

But yes, the game is, at its core a group-centric game and many of the game's mechanics are built around that.
    The reason why no one brother to solo is because you lose experience. If wow have lose experience on death, the game wouldn't even be solo game anymore. (Daoc is the same, you don't solo as much)
    Well, the loss of experience is a penalty no matter how you die or whether you're solo or in a group. Of course, there's a greater risk of dying when you're solo... so yeah :-p

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by wrongfeifong

Some class can solo.
     These classes can solo when you get into the mid and higher levels  With the exception of BLM which can solo (there are even guides to it) faster than you would get exp in parties.  Also, as stated by WSIMike some do it for the challenge and thrill.  Just for the same reason me and 2 of my friends take on NM's we shouldn't be able to defeat.  That way we learn why we cant defeat it and hope to learn how to defeat it.  It makes us a better player and makes us strive to get better gear to eek out that one more evasion or STR modification.

WoW has a penalty as well, it's just not exp loss.  You have to pay gold to repair your armor.  But for me, the reason I do not solo (this goes for WoW too) is that it's an MMO.  If i wanted to solo i could just play Valkrye Profile or any other RPG's that wouldn't charge me a monthly fee.  I pay to play wih other people so i do.  Silly to not do it sometimes.

To the OP.  This game has some solo content in it but it's definately the minority.  This is a very Japanes-centric game and they emphasize team work over the solo "hero".  Recently i've had some of the most exciting stuff happening all in group play it's awesome when you do something and your friends and Linkshell mates are all as speechless as you.  This game is a drug and it makes you bust your ass (in groups) for the awesome gear but let me tell you.  I've never in my gaming history ever donned a piece of armor and felt such a sense of accomplishment or pride in my life.  I took screenshots, yammered to anyone and everyone that would listen and even told friends who had no idea what I was going on about as they dont play the game.  This game has so many moments of this but you must work for it (again, in groups).

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"