Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion Launch in Korea + Success

imlinkedimlinked Member Posts: 20

According to http://www.thisisgame.com/board/view.php?id=200608&category=711 article source (its in Korean) seems like Aion has done very well in its official launch! I won't translate each and every detail but basically...

- Over 90% of the beta testers are now in the retail. (Lineage II release in 2003 retained about 80~90% of its beta testers.)

- There are still 500-1000 people in queue to login.

- Out of the top 24 games played in PC rooms, Aion ranks #1 played game as of November 26 with 16.88% (#2 is Sudden Attack 9.12% and #3 is WoW 7.35%)

Furthermore, what's more encouraging is that overall games in PC room centers have experienced a drop in usage, with WoW taking a -1.26% decrease after Aion's launch. If Aion proves to be a very good altenative to WoW players, and if this trend continues throughout the end of 2008, I'll definitely be playing Aion when it is released in NA.

However, take this news with a grain of salt... most WoW players in Korea are playing in residentials, not PC rooms. Still, very good news regardless.

Cheers.

Comments

• TrissaTrissa Member Posts: 251

Thanks for the update

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180

seems like aion ncsoft did a nice job..in korea atleast.

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180

Successes in Korea doesn't always mean success here. But i do hope Aion is successful in the western market.

BTW, I am interested in hearing actual subscriber numbers rather than seeing always the simultaneous number.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• lthmong1lthmong1 Member Posts: 18

that's terrific but...i think it's our turn in the u.s to try it out now

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Glad to hear it's doing well! I've been following it for years and finally seeing it being released is amazing.

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860
    Originally posted by Greatness

Successes in Korea doesn't always success here. But i do hope Aion is successful in the western market.
    BTW, I am interested in hearing actual subscriber numbers rather than seeing always the simultaneous number.

You'll have to wait for NCsoft's quarterly report.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by lthmong1

that's terrific but...i think it's our turn in the u.s to try it out now

In due time, in due time.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Successes in Korea doesn't always success here. But i do hope Aion is successful in the western market.

Has success in Korea ever translated to success here? (no, Lineage 2 was not a major success)

Its bound to happen one day though, perhaps AION will be that game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RaitsesmanRaitsesman Member UncommonPosts: 215

I wonder....will there be private servers?

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Thats good news :)

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Has success in Korea ever translated to success here? (no, Lineage 2 was not a major success)

The other way around, it did.

Then again, L2 had at certain date around 150k subs in NA/EU, before wow's social boom that was a success.

• suu141suu141 Member Posts: 249

Lineage 2 may not have been very popular in the US, but Ragnarok Online definately was, with over 3 million subs, which is more than WoW with little over 2.5 mil in the states.

Even though it has over 20 million subs worldwide, I guess it's not worth talking about a 8 year-old Korean game with 2D sprite graphics from some unknown company.

"When you're born you're naked, when you die you're naked again, and in-between all we do is work, eat, and play MMOs." ~Forum Warrior #141

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

hmm so where can you buy an korean version of Aion and find a guide to get it set up..............

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by suu141

Lineage 2 may not have been very popular in the US, but Ragnarok Online definately was, with over 3 million subs, which is more than WoW with little over 2.5 mil in the states.

Even though it has over 20 million subs worldwide, I guess it's not worth talking about a 8 year-old Korean game with 2D sprite graphics from some unknown company.

20 million but was is it all concurrent subscribers currently subscribed?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Who dounted that? The question is rather if the game will be a hit in Europe/America too.

L2 Didn't really work out here so it can go either way.

Still, many old Wow players are looking for a new game right now so their timing is good.

• sholovablesholovable Member Posts: 4

ooooo cool infoo!

Originally posted by denshing

You're probably thinking: I'm thinking total subs in it's lifetime. No, the game had over 50 mil subs total(legit P2P servers, not F2P ones).

20 mil is my wild guess. As of January 2007, Ragnarok had 25+ mil concurrent subs across 16 different countries. After 2 years, I'm sure the numbers plummet since then. Keeping track of this large, old game is tough, I guess everyone gave up.

"When you're born you're naked, when you die you're naked again, and in-between all we do is work, eat, and play MMOs." ~Forum Warrior #141

• LoA_EthosLoA_Ethos Member Posts: 6

You're probably thinking: I'm thinking total subs in it's lifetime. No, the game had over 50 mil subs total(legit P2P servers, not F2P ones).

20 mil is my wild guess. As of January 2007, Ragnarok had 25+ mil concurrent subs across 16 different countries. After 2 years, I'm sure the numbers plummet since then. Keeping track of this large, old game is tough, I guess everyone gave up.

Yeah what you say is true. And the statement of "Aion will fail in US and EU, it will only have a success in Asia" is an epic fail. I wonder if those people know that WoW -only- has 4 milj subscribers in US and EU together, and 7 milj in Asia. That's how they get those 11 milj subscrbers... the Asian market is much bigger than ours.

Even if we would believe that false statement, if Aion only scores massive in Asia it will be a very painful hit for WoW already, without even losing 1 US and EU player. Think about it.

I like Aion very much, I have played the KOBT and it was great. And tho i don't want Aion to be the next biggest MMO (the biggest always get the most hated) I think it will draw lots of people. It's only important that they have enough subscribers to maintain the game, but that won't be a problem.

• PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341
    Originally posted by LoA_Ethos

Yeah what you say is true. And the statement of "Aion will fail in US and EU, it will only have a success in Asia" is an epic fail. I wonder if those people know that WoW -only- has 4 milj subscribers in US and EU together, and 7 milj in Asia. That's how they get those 11 milj subscrbers... the Asian market is much bigger than ours.

Even if we would believe that false statement, if Aion only scores massive in Asia it will be a very painful hit for WoW already, without even losing 1 US and EU player. Think about it.

I like Aion very much, I have played the KOBT and it was great. And tho i don't want Aion to be the next biggest MMO (the biggest always get the most hated) I think it will draw lots of people. It's only important that they have enough subscribers to maintain the game, but that won't be a problem.

OH NO, Wow only has a total of 4,000,000 players in US/EU?!? That is such a small meaningless number. It's no wonder no one plays Wow anymore, that's practically nothing compared to.... oh right. I forgot Wow has more US/EU subscriptions then pretty much every single MMO in the US/EU combined. 

Of course it's only 4,000,000 people... right? That's nothing...

Also, with Ragnarok Online, those numbers are heavily skewed by F2P servers and hourly payment subscriptions. If I remember correctly the real number was far below what was mentioned, but I guess since some random person says 50million, it must be true. :)

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by pandrax

OH NO, Wow only has a total of 4,000,000 players in US/EU?!? That is such a small meaningless number. It's no wonder no one plays Wow anymore, that's practically nothing compared to.... oh right. I forgot Wow has more US/EU subscriptions then pretty much every single MMO in the US/EU combined. 

Not if you count Guildwars in... But yeah, Wow is biggest, GW is number 2 and after that there is a big fall, no other game have even half a mil players. GW have something between 1 and 2 million players.

Still saying surely that Aion will fail in EU/US is stupid, it might do it off course but it is impossible to know right now.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Loke666 
    Not if you count Guildwars in... But yeah, Wow is biggest, GW is number 2 and after that there is a big fall, no other game have even half a mil players. GW have something between 1 and 2 million players.
    Still saying surely that Aion will fail in EU/US is stupid, it might do it off course but it is impossible to know right now.

Guild Wars has over 5.5 million accounts. No one knows how many active players there are though.

Also, with Ragnarok Online, those numbers are heavily skewed by F2P servers and hourly payment subscriptions. If I remember correctly the real number was far below what was mentioned, but I guess since some random person says 50million, it must be true. :)

Those numbers are excluding private F2P servers since, they don't make money off of them.

Fact or not, the truth is out there, somewhere...

Feel free to believe whatever you want.  :)

Just try not to let your narrow-minded opinions sound like facts.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I will be playing AION regardless of how it is accepted here. I am glad to see that the game is a success in Korea.

• PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341

Those numbers are excluding private F2P servers since, they don't make money off of them.

Fact or not, the truth is out there, somewhere...

Feel free to believe whatever you want.  :)

Just try not to let your narrow-minded opinions sound like facts.

The only person using their opinion as a fact, is you. you provided nothing to show you were correct, you didn't even bother to sound truthful. All you said was 20 mil here, 50 mil there, mil, mil, mil........ I'm glad you feel so strongly about this subject to call someone you don't know narrow-minded, it shows you have the ability to atleast try to prove a point instead of just sitting in the corner thinking of more random numbers. :)

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

WOW its nice too see aion forum site being taken over by other mmo's 

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...