Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't find ship guides. Advice for best skills for these ships.

DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

This might seem simple to the elder players but im stuck. I train all my basic learning skills to 3 but now I dont know what ship to pick and what skills go along with them. It seems like everything i need to train. Mechanic, science, and navigating.

Im looking for guide for interceptors  and Battleships. They seem the most interesting to me. Anyhelp with skill training for faster... community action with these two ships would be helpful.

I just need a narrower goal. So I can have a focus. Without it im confuse lost and getting frustrated.

In game im Devalons and the caladari? race.

--
"Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

Comments

• erkinbabaerkinbaba Member UncommonPosts: 79

You may want to start from here:  myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp

Nice ship setups. You can check skill req by using ingame market info.

• meloncholymeloncholy Member UncommonPosts: 33

You could also head over to www.battleclinic.com.  They have many different ship setups, as well as new player guides.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

First, you want to make sure your Core skills are adequate

Core Skills for all Pilots

Engineering 5 - to maximize the power core.

Electronics 5 - to maximize the CPU.

Energy Management 5 - to maximize the capacitor capacity. - 4

Energy Systems Operation 5 - to maximize the rate at which the capacitor recharges. - 4

Energy Grid Upgrades 5 - to reduce the CPU requirements of installing power modules. - 4

Mechanic 5 - To maximize hull strength.

Shield Management 5 - to maximize shield capacity. - 4

Shield Operation 5 - to maximize the rate at which the shield recharges.

Hull Upgrade 5 - To maximize armor strength. -4

Repair Systems 4 - To be able to operate the best armor and hull repair modules. -2

I don't have all of them to the full level yet, but as you can see, most are at 4 or 5.  You should get them all to at least 3 as quickly as possible.

Next, download EVEMON, it will let you select a ship and tell you all the basic skills you need to fly the ship.  (It will not tell you the skills you need to fly/fight it well, such as gun/missile skills etc)

evemon.battleclinic.com/

Now, download EVE fitting tool and use it to play around with various ship configurations that you come up with on your own or obtain from sources like Battleclinic.

myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp

In addition to Battleclinic, www.battleclinic.com/

I've found Scrapheap Challenge to be a good source of ship fittings as well.

www.scrapheap-challenge.com/viewforum.php

And although these links on the EVE forums can be a bit dated, there's usually good advice on how to fit out a ship thats still sound.

If you load your limited API key into EVEMON and Eve Fitting tool they'll adjust their fittings to your current skill levels and you can save various plans for your training.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

the new certificate system in game is quite helpful as well, if you browse to a ship you fancy on the market, and click "show info" there is a tab at the top called "recommendations" which lists all the certificates that aura thinks you should have before flying said ship.

so the crow (caldari interceptor) will need stuff like light missile - standard and high velocity helmsman - improved. these arent requirements, but recommendations.

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

Wow so many replys already. Thanks everyone

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

Originally posted by Kyleran

First, you want to make sure your Core skills are adequate
    Core Skills for all Pilots

Engineering 5 - to maximize the power core.

Electronics 5 - to maximize the CPU.

Energy Management 5 - to maximize the capacitor capacity. - 4

Energy Systems Operation 5 - to maximize the rate at which the capacitor recharges. - 4

Energy Grid Upgrades 5 - to reduce the CPU requirements of installing power modules. - 4

Mechanic 5 - To maximize hull strength.

Shield Management 5 - to maximize shield capacity. - 4

Shield Operation 5 - to maximize the rate at which the shield recharges.

Hull Upgrade 5 - To maximize armor strength. -4

Repair Systems 4 - To be able to operate the best armor and hull repair modules. -2
    I don't have all of them to the full level yet, but as you can see, most are at 4 or 5.  You should get them all to at least 3 as quickly as possible.
    Next, download EVEMON, it will let you select a ship and tell you all the basic skills you need to fly the ship.  (It will not tell you the skills you need to fly/fight it well, such as gun/missile skills etc)
    evemon.battleclinic.com/
    Now, download EVE fitting tool and use it to play around with various ship configurations that you come up with on your own or obtain from sources like Battleclinic.
    In addition to Battleclinic, www.battleclinic.com/
    I've found Scrapheap Challenge to be a good source of ship fittings as well.
    www.scrapheap-challenge.com/viewforum.php
    And although these links on the EVE forums can be a bit dated, there's usually good advice on how to fit out a ship thats still sound.
    If you load your limited API key into EVEMON and Eve Fitting tool they'll adjust their fittings to your current skill levels and you can save various plans for your training.

Thanks for the list of skills. This will help me out till i decide on what ship to start with. Is the list in order by priority?

--

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

Originally posted by Devalon
    Originally posted by Kyleran .......
     add some basics learning skills

Thanks for the list of skills. This will help me out till i decide on what ship to start with. Is the list in order by priority?

oh man you set your priority (i dont want to troll you) but you have to make R-click ->show info and look what bonuses give these skills and wich you need first in you setups

also plz take a look on evemon to calculate skills duration

BestSigEver :P

Originally posted by cosy

Originally posted by Devalon

Originally posted by Kyleran

add some basics learning skills

oh man you set your priority (i dont want to troll you) but you have to make R-click ->show info and look what bonuses give these skills and wich you need first in you setups

also plz take a look on evemon to calculate skills duration

All of them seem good... whats wrong?

--

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

If you are doing combat missions for your income, the direction for caldari is the best for efficiency in the game. Gets boring after a while but it does turn the credit around. Basically missiles and shields.

lvl 1 missions, Kestrel with standard missiles, distance tank with and after burner. To fit 4 std launchers you need a micro auxiliary power core (requires energy managment 4)

lvl 2 missions, Caracal with assault missile launcher

lvl 3 missions, Drake with heavy missiles.

lvl 4 missions, Raven with cruise missiles.

Oh, and download EVEMON and learn to love it.

I hear that interceptors got nerf or... they call it speed tanks? Are they still good?

--

intercepters still do their job well.

you just have to think a tiny bit more when flying them.

Originally posted by nurgles

intercepters still do their job well.
    you just have to think a tiny bit more when flying them.

Cool I think ill head for them instead of battle ship. Just a few days more.

evemon suggest getting logic to 3 and stuff. So i guess more learning skills sigh. I wonder if i should get implants aswell.

Uh i need frig V for the crow... yikes. that another 15days. =(

--

• BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237

Ok, Devalon,

you've got a lot of info at your finger tips, but, there is one thing you have to remember to, learning skills, are your bestest friend, and, the higher they are, the better.

Train them to at least lvl 4, and then start on the advanced versions, but, before learning advanced learning skills, there is a must have skill, its called Cybernetics, train it to lvl 3, and that way you can get into standard, +3 implants, then after getting all your advanced skills to lvl 4, train cybernetcs to lvl 5, and get into +5 implants as quick as possible, after that, skill training in anything will be quicker to.

Originally posted by Baxslash

Ok, Devalon,

you've got a lot of info at your finger tips, but, there is one thing you have to remember to, learning skills, are your bestest friend, and, the higher they are, the better.
    Train them to at least lvl 4, and then start on the advanced versions, but, before learning advanced learning skills, there is a must have skill, its called Cybernetics, train it to lvl 3, and that way you can get into standard, +3 implants, then after getting all your advanced skills to lvl 4, train cybernetcs to lvl 5, and get into +5 implants as quick as possible, after that, skill training in anything will be quicker to.

Yeah, Evemon told me all this. Thanks though.

--

Originally posted by Baxslash
    Ok, Devalon,

UM a full set of +5s is a substantial chunk of a billion isk. and +3s only need cybernetics lvl 1. implants and learning skills are very important but balance fun now vs min-maxing.

Also an intercepter is a PvP ship. over 10mil (some may be cheaper) each without fittings and uninsurable.

Frig lvl 5 is a great skill as it lets have acess to all the T2 frigs, the other lvl 5s that these frigs need as requirements are also great to have.

these things take time, so no point burning yourself out by not having fun on the journey there.

• DrmarvinDrmarvin Member Posts: 34

I agree with some of the others, it's good to have an overall goal to reach, say interceptors for pvp, but you also need some sort of income in the mean time and maybe you already do.  Just don't want to see you buy that new interceptor with all your cash and promptly get it blown to pieces in low sec with no money for another.

Originally posted by Drmarvin

I agree with some of the others, it's good to have an overall goal to reach, say interceptors for pvp, but you also need some sort of income in the mean time and maybe you already do.  Just don't want to see you buy that new interceptor with all your cash and promptly get it blown to pieces in low sec with no money for another.

Well... I could train cruiser for a  Caracal.  Someone mention them for tier 2 missions. Would they be worth my time till i get an interceptor?

--

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

OP, unless you are independently wealthy (ie. you plan to sell GTC's for ISK) you will need to first train up your money making (PVE skills) to fund your activities.  This requires trying to fly a decent ratting ship, a Drake Battlecruiser is great to run level 3's and you can make quite a bit of ISK. (the path to the Drake is the Caracal for level 2's).

Once you get your income generation down (and most would recommend you train up to fly a Raven to run level 4's) then you focus on PVP ships like the Interceptor.

In the meantime, if you want to PVP consider flying a Rifter, great, fast ship and you can loose lots of them and still be successful.

As to my list of core skills, you sort of need them all, and the only focus is based on what you try to squeeze into your ship.  I recommend you get most of them up to level 3 ASAP (doesn't take long) and level 4 where necessary .  They will help you outfit your ships tremendously.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Im looking at the LP store. I found a lot of items that cost more to buy from there then the AH. =/ wtf up with that. Atleast the ships are 0isk.

--

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

mission running is not the only way to make money, sure its the easiest to get into as you are practically forced into it in the tutorial, but i find it mind numbing. as soon as I had jumpclone standings i stopped mission running.

try trading. head to rens and buy fried interface circuits then fly to amarr and sell them for a 25% profit. (for example (do your research here)), or try mining, or steal someone else's ore, try scamming, or search for mispriced contracts and turn a quick profit there.