Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online - 1st & 3rd Person

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

As far as I know, the game is only in 3rd person view when you are on a mount.  Other than that, you are always in first person.

Personally, I would be MUCH more interested in the game if it allowed 3rd person perspective at any time of my choosing like most MMO's.

This is actually the only 'major' gripe I have with the game currently and I'm hoping the devs will change their minds on on the subject - so long as it doesn't go the way of some clunky Oblivion-style 3rd person combat which was not well done at all.

Still, I enjoy SEEING my character and for a game where melee player skill is important, it makes a lot of sense to me to have 3rd person available.  Look at all the major action games which use melee combat - opting for 3rd person with good reason.

Peripheral vision is one of the main reasons to me, but also, who doesn't enjoy watching their character kick arse?  For bows/xbows and such first person is of course superior due to the FPS style gameplay... but in most combat instances in a video game I'd prefer to be able to view the situation from third person allowing me to be more aware of my surroundings.

The argument that it's more 'realistic' when it's all in first person view is really flawed because when in real life, you are being flanked you automatically know you're being attacked from behind -  in a game, you need to see your enemy behind you to make up for the lack of perceptive abilities you WOULD have such as hearing the enemy behind you/feeling their strikes etc.

Thoughts?

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• MptrMptr Member Posts: 20

No, please go away and think about what you have posted. Maybe read some game design books, and read up on why the devs want it this way.

This game is centered on fpv, and the controls are after that design choice. You wont move like in other mmo's, since they where not in fact fpv only.

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

Good that you don't like fpv. 1 probable whiner and troll less.

And the best thing in MO are devs, who won't change their plans just to satisfy the masses.

wohoooo

ohh... you already started to whine
    don't you ever touch fpv sandbox games, or it may hurt you.

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• DeathTrippDeathTripp Member UncommonPosts: 263

Exactly Deacon, first person view only is retarded; what the hell is the point in viewing 3rd person on a horse anyways if they are making it only fpv. And no movement is not different from fpv to 3rd person view.. that's why games like WoW and WAR you can do either or, because the movement remains the same.

-----------------------------
    Real as Reality Television!!!

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

The argument that it's more 'realistic' when it's all in first person view is really flawed because when in real life, you are being flanked you automatically know you're being attacked from behind -  in a game, you need to see your enemy behind you to make up for the lack of perceptive abilities you WOULD have such as hearing the enemy behind you/feeling their strikes etc.
    Thoughts?

Its just as easy in game to know where you are  being attacked from and to hear people walking up on you from behind etc , they do it in Fps games every day .

• Jaka1Jaka1 Member Posts: 3

I suppose you have never played a FPS, its far more immersive and intense then any MMO in thrid person I have ever played. And yes if someone is attacking from behind there called ears, hope you have a pair.

Oh yes and its real, real time combat where you aim all your shots... cant do that in the 3rd person. And no not AoC "real time combat".

• FockerFocker Member Posts: 344

I was interested in this game, but that 3rd person view just doesn't sound interesting to me.   I'll have to keep an eye on it to see what it pans out to be.

• Jaka1Jaka1 Member Posts: 3

Focker, I dont know what you meant but it is in first person view, this person is complaining about it.

Originally posted by Jaka1

Focker, I dont know what you meant but it is in first person view, this person is complaining about it.

Sorry about that,  I ment 1st person view seemed wierd to me.  Only because I've never really played a MMORPG in first person other then "war" games.  I'll keep tuned in though to see how it works out. 

• lachrymoseQQlachrymoseQQ Member Posts: 60

how do you know you won't be able to hear your enemy behind you? (you probably will) how do you know there wont' be some indication that you were hit from behind? (there most likely will be) it works just fine in age of chivalry and PVK2, and i imagine SV will do an even better job than they did.

if you don't like FPV, don't play the game. there are plenty of other TPV MMOs out there.. it'd be nice to a unique change in an MMO. i would suggest trying it before you knock it though.. you can't assume that it will be like TES.

Originally posted by FockerSorry about that,  I ment 1st person view seemed wierd to me.  Only because I've never really played a MMORPG in first person other then "war" games.  I'll keep tuned in though to see how it works out. 

Those who didn't ever play a fpv rpg with good close combat, we suggest to try dark messiah - to feel the immersion of fighting with a cc weapon - and then looking at mount&blade, to see how mounted combat in MO will look like.

Well, maybe gothic2 would be even worth giving a hit.

The rest is only to imagine all best attributes from those games in a mmo game.

--
    /thread

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

I'm intrigued by the first person view. If it is not optional, that means everyone is using it. In real life you only have a first person view. You don't have an out of body experience where you look down on yourself and see 360 degrees. Unless you're an owl shaman. It could work.

This game looks like it will be powerful. In real life.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

Originally posted by levsix
    I'm intrigued by the first person view. If it is not optional, that means everyone is using it. In real life you only have a first person view. You don't have an out of body experience where you look down on yourself and see 360 degrees. Unless you're an owl shaman. It could work.
    This game looks like it will be powerful. In real life.
    There's no optional tpv in normal gameplay.
    MO is developed only to be played in fpv with 1 exception: mounted combat. It's too hard to play fpv while mounted - you can try in mount&blade game. Although we convinced devs (at least they didn't say a definite "no") not to abandon fpv view while being mounted.

--
    /thread

Originally posted by joshe

Although we convinced devs (at least they didn't say a definite "no") not to abandon fpv view while being mounted.

Who is this We?

MO community.

--
    /thread

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I have expressed my OPINION and put something up for DISCUSSION.  Some of you have chosen to sound like children by saying things like:

Mptr “No, please go away…”

Joshe “1 probable whiner and troll less.”

Jaka1 “And yes if someone is attacking from behind there [I think you meant they’re] called ears, hope you have a pair.”

Really mature. Pretty sad representation of yourselves… but your words are your own.

I’m not CONDEMNING the game for fpv;  I expressed my opinion based on gaming experiences with fpv vs tpv and simply know which I prefer.   It might end up working GREAT for MO or perhaps it’s just simply not for me, that’s all. And I do hope the game will be great because it looks and sounds brilliant.

The community has me a little worried; if the people listed above are a representation… thankfully I’m not one to generalize people.

Joshe, you refer to me as a ‘whiner’ for having expressed my opinion, and a troll at that. I can’t tell you how lame that makes you look and honestly I don’t believe I deserve it and I REALLY don’t appreciate it – that is the by far the mildest way I can express my feelings over the internet.

Though I do find it funny how you say the devs won’t listen to someone and change the game but ‘you’ [the MO community] convinced the devs not to abandon fpv while being mounted. SO, when it’s something you agree with, something that is your opinion, it’s fine - but when someone else has another point of view or opinion, it is whining and trolling.

People like you are why I don’t bother posting on these forums much anymore.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• ZageronZageron Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Previous Post

I'm sorry if we seem a little 'childish' to you. But we all know what hype does to games. We simply don't wish to have thirty thousand trolls on our website clogging up the forums, and the devs time.

I'm sure they acted out of frustration due to the fact that none of us wanted MO on this site until mid next year.

Please understand. :]

• ProminentProminent Member Posts: 51

First player view only. It´s about time a MMO like that is released. More excitement ,,,feeling like it´s me adventuring. I am surprised not more MMOs are 1 person only.

PS: 3 person when riding the horse.

Originally posted by Zageron

Previous Post

I'm sorry if we seem a little 'childish' to you. But we all know what hype does to games. We simply don't wish to have thirty thousand trolls on our website clogging up the forums, and the devs time.

I'm sure they acted out of frustration due to the fact that none of us wanted MO on this site until mid next year.

Please understand. :]

Thank you.  I do understand what it's like to really care about a game and hope it turns out well - but I just find it sad how the ability to write an anonymous post online can make some people act.

TROLLS much like FANBOIS are both EXTREMES, and really the same thing just arguing opposites.  So when someone is called a troll for merely stating an opinion and putting it up for discussion, it gets to me.  But I suppose it's my fault, repplies like that are to be expected... I've just never been good at letting people talk down to me.

Either way I do wish the game well and have been looking in on the project off and on - even have an account on the official site though I don't go there very often.  Still, I'm just a bit skeptic I suppose at how the game will work.  Then again there is some sort of Half-Life 2 mod called Age of Chivalry I think that a friend of mine plays and claims would be perfect awesome fun for an MMORPG.

I have a great time playing Mount & Blade - and this game seems to be onto some brillinant things challenging the cookie cutter clones.  I'm going to try it no matter what, I just feel like I will miss being able to watch my character in action.

I have expressed my OPINION and put something up for DISCUSSION.  Some of you have chosen to sound like children by saying things like:
    Mptr “No, please go away…”
    Joshe “1 probable whiner and troll less.”
    Jaka1 “And yes if someone is attacking from behind there [I think you meant they’re] called ears, hope you have a pair.”
    Really mature. Pretty sad representation of yourselves… but your words are your own.
    I’m not CONDEMNING the game for fpv;  I expressed my opinion based on gaming experiences with fpv vs tpv and simply know which I prefer.   It might end up working GREAT for MO or perhaps it’s just simply not for me, that’s all. And I do hope the game will be great because it looks and sounds brilliant.
    The community has me a little worried; if the people listed above are a representation… thankfully I’m not one to generalize people.
    Joshe, you refer to me as a ‘whiner’ for having expressed my opinion, and a troll at that. I can’t tell you how lame that makes you look and honestly I don’t believe I deserve it and I REALLY don’t appreciate it – that is the by far the mildest way I can express my feelings over the internet.
    Though I do find it funny how you say the devs won’t listen to someone and change the game but ‘you’ [the MO community] convinced the devs not to abandon fpv while being mounted. SO, when it’s something you agree with, something that is your opinion, it’s fine - but when someone else has another point of view or opinion, it is whining and trolling.
    People like you are why I don’t bother posting on these forums much anymore.

I really think you are trolling.
    TPV vs FPV has been discussed widely. Not here, where I completely don't know to whom you are directing your thread, though I some kind of agree with your tpv preferences.
    While I made things short, by saying WE [the MO community] convinced devs not to abandon fpv while being mounted, wasn't that they didn't think about leaving fpv in mounted state as it is.
    But there's no force that would bring tpv into MO basic's gameplay, as the devs said that already - it's just you, that didn't want to search for some confirmed info.

After reading your whole reply I was pleased with the last sentence.
    But now I changed my mind, and would really like to see you - maybe not right on the MO forums - but at least reading already available interviews, and confirmed informations.
    Starting for example here: http://news.mmosite.com/content/2008-10-15/20081015225506492,1.shtml

ps: It isn't easy to read bold text.

edit: you mentioned age of chivalry. But if i mention a game called project offset and say only good things about it, will you call me fanboi again ?
    FYI game is put on hold by devs. So the only different between fanboi and a casual interesant is that a fanboi defends things which he likes, using strong arguments ?

--
    /thread

Wow. I'm tired of seeing these kinds of posts.

Neither of you reply badly to eachother anymore. I have to side with DeaconX here, you are putting a bad image on the current MO community. Please think before you post.

• Dippy11Dippy11 Member UncommonPosts: 283

The limited point of view is one of the most important aspects of the game, in my opinion.  I want to be able to see my customized character as well and make sure his new clothes don't look retarded or anything, but the unique game play that FPV-only allows outweighs any single visual preference such as this.  It's a sacrifice, but I believe that it's worth it. 

Originally posted by Dippy11

The limited point of view is one of the most important aspects of the game, in my opinion.  I want to be able to see my customized character as well and make sure his new clothes don't look retarded or anything, but the unique game play that FPV-only allows outweighs any single visual preference such as this.  It's a sacrifice, but I believe that it's worth it. 

Yeah. I'm sure the DEV team will impliment a way of seeing your character. Like mirrors or other such reflective objects such as WATER.

I think I prefer FPV because it allows you to focus more on the environment, and less on yourself.

It would be pretty cool to walk by and see yourself in a mirror.  Kind of 'realistic' and such which is a huge thing the game has going for it, the many realistic ideas.

Zageron, you've obviously been following the community there - hate to get off topic in my own thread for a moment I'm just wondering, how's the Role Playing community for MO if there is one?  Or is it mainly a PVP community?

Just kind of wondering how role players view the FPV perspective.  In a way, we're so used to seeing our characters and their wardrobe/emotes and such but then again, it's kind of like really 'being' that character instead of just seeing it...

It would be pretty cool to walk by and see yourself in a mirror.  Kind of 'realistic' and such which is a huge thing the game has going for it, the many realistic ideas.
    Zageron, you've obviously been following the community there - hate to get off topic in my own thread for a moment I'm just wondering, how's the Role Playing community for MO if there is one?  Or is it mainly a PVP community?
    Just kind of wondering how role players view the FPV perspective.  In a way, we're so used to seeing our characters and their wardrobe/emotes and such but then again, it's kind of like really 'being' that character instead of just seeing it...

I haven't heard a lot about Role Play in the community. Granted I only joined in October. Most of the community seems to be based on Explorers, PVP, PK, and the odd Crafter.

You can probably expect being killed often. :P

The community we currently have is based around 30 odd active people, myself barely included, and we are all mature. Since MO has been posted here we are guaranteed to get a wave of thousands of immature youngsters and trolls invading on our 'perfect' community. ;]

So the RP/PvE/PvP ratios will fluctuate ridiculously.

• StumpLTStumpLT Member Posts: 2

The community is very friendly to roleplayers. Honestly, most of them are Hardcore Gamers, that like roleplay, enjoy pvp and etc. Well, all in one.

This discussion has been closed.