Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Like Darkfall... but better?

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

From the little we know due to the FAQ, an 'in game' video and a screenshot, I can't help but feel this game is like a 'professional' version of Darkfall.

I'm not knocking Darkfall per-se, that game is trying to do some VERY ambitious things and I hope all goes well for it, but I can't seem to shake the feeling that Mortal Online will have tremendously more polish and gloriously beautiful scenery.

I will definitely keep an eye out for this game.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• JackthecatJackthecat Member Posts: 277

but Darkfall is also more open to people with not so powerful computers.

------------------------------
    Meow

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Very true – accessibility is a major selling point for Darkfall and makes me wonder how games with ‘higher end graphics’ will do – but I can’t help being drawn towards a graphically superior MMORPG so long as the GAMEPLAY is just as good or better than any other MMORPG out there.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

This game is more suspicious than Darkfall ever was. They claim to be releasing in a few months, but all they have is one piece of concept art, one pre rendered video, and they're already selling merchandise. Sounds Funcomish to me. But hey, the more games like Darkfall the better. 

But better? Other than graphics (which no one has actually seen yet, no way they are the video quality, you can't have twitch PvP with graphics better than Crysis) I wouldn't say better. 

• MptrMptr Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by SignusM

This game is more suspicious than Darkfall ever was. They claim to be releasing in a few months, but all they have is one piece of concept art, one pre rendered video, and they're already selling merchandise.

Are you having trouble with your eyesight ?

I see 14 concept art pictures, 1 ingame picture. A teaser in real time(!). Some articles on game mechanics, and there's also a reportage from Swedish public service television. That reportage includes a few models and about 15 seconds of in game footage.

I can understand if you didn't notice the reportage, since you actually have to visit the website to find it.

• ExcalibananaExcalibanana Member Posts: 17

Due to previous experiences with Darkfall, I am skeptical about this game releasing in the summer of 2009. That being said, I don't want to judge it like that, and hope that I'm wrong with my first statement cause the game sure looks good (so far).

• FockerFocker Member Posts: 344

Sounds like Vaporware

• ExcalibananaExcalibanana Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Mptr

This game is more suspicious than Darkfall ever was. They claim to be releasing in a few months, but all they have is one piece of concept art, one pre rendered video, and they're already selling merchandise.

I see 14 concept art pictures, 1 ingame picture. A teaser in real time(!). Some articles on game mechanics, and there's also a reportage from Swedish public service television. That reportage includes a few models and about 15 seconds of in game footage.

I can understand if you didn't notice the reportage, since you actually have to visit the website to find it.

Just a personal opinion. The teaser, although said was made from in-game content, seems like computer-rendered graphics to me. It could be an in-game cutscene, but definitely not normal playing graphics. As much as I hope that I'm wrong with this one as well, it just doesn't seem realistic. A game that supports so many concurrent players with little to no instancing, imagine the lag fest with those graphics!

• MptrMptr Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Excalibanana

Just a personal opinion. The teaser, although said was made from in-game content, seems like computer-rendered graphics to me. It could be an in-game cutscene, but definitely not normal playing graphics. As much as I hope that I'm wrong with this one as well, it just doesn't seem realistic. A game that supports so many concurrent players with little to no instancing, imagine the lag fest with those graphics!

From an earlier post I made :

news.mmosite.com/content/2008-10-15/20081015225506492,3.shtml

First question on that page, even specifies what spec it's running on.

"As a comparison, the teaser is actually running in real-time with highest settings on a DualCore 6600 with a GeForce 8800 (512 MB) and 2 GB RAM."

Though that is probably on the offline version, so expect higher requirements.

I'm pretty sure you can afford that, and they have reported that the netcode is very cutting edge. It's way faster then other structures, that's what the Ceo told me before. Don't know for sure if that's true or not though.

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

This game is more suspicious than Darkfall ever was. They claim to be releasing in a few months, but all they have is one piece of concept art, one pre rendered video, and they're already selling merchandise. Sounds Funcomish to me. But hey, the more games like Darkfall the better.

But better? Other than graphics (which no one has actually seen yet, no way they are the video quality, you can't have twitch PvP with graphics better than Crysis) I wouldn't say better.

hahahaaaaa pre rendered ... ohh, I'm laughing so loud.
    First discover what for stads "pre rendered" term
    (I'll help you with this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre_rendered) and then what does mean "pre scripted"

About graphics ... actually MO forum members had a glimpse at some gameplay. So don't invent by force things, which you know nothing about.

Originally posted by Focker
    Sounds like Vaporware
    Hmm...actually you have right. MO is vaporware, and now go play L2, EQ, WoW or other wowish crap. Have fun.
    I mean really, have fun playing your current themepark game while waiting for another EQ clone.

First question on that page, even specifies what spec it's running on.
    "As a comparison, the teaser is actually running in real-time with highest settings on a DualCore 6600 with a GeForce 8800 (512 MB) and 2 GB RAM."
    Though that is probably on the offline version, so expect higher requirements.
    I'm pretty sure you can afford that, and they have reported that the netcode is very cutting edge. It's way faster then other structures, that's what the Ceo told me before. Don't know for sure if that's true or not though.

I'm glad to see the 1st one outside MO forums, who actually did read something about MO, despite bullshitting, and imagine funny but untrue things.
    Yes, the teaser has been prescripted, and then screened live on a pc with above specification.
    Yes, it was screened on what you call "offline" version.
    Server software wasn't ready by the time of releasing the teaser.

Good that you mentioned about netcode.
    You know SV has the rights for UE3 ?
    The more, Epic Games is the creator of netcode, so expect as fast, and lag less environment as possible.

We thought it's not true that MO got listed on this website. But now, after it happened there's no other way than open the eyes of trolls and let in some light in those blokheads.

btw: Mptr, you are welcome to join MO forums.

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• mikesanimmikesanim Member Posts: 4

(Mptr is on the MO forums)

Cool that this finally got on here.

Now we will get a bunch of trolls!  YAY!

lol...really though, it's pretty good to have the publicity.

• GuelyGuely Member Posts: 114

I wouldn't say better. However, if Darkfall fails I assume everyone will play MO.

Originally posted by mikesanim

My badass bastard sword was recently sharpened, polished, and is ready to decapitate some drooling trolls.

ps: u talk about Mpträ ? Well, considering his avatar I wouldn't guess it's the same user.

--
    /thread

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by joshe

My badass bastard sword was recently sharpened, polished, and is ready to decapitate some drooling trolls.

ps: u talk about Mpträ ? Well, considering his avatar I wouldn't guess it's the same user.

This games fanbois seem  to be a lot like DF's anyways.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FockerFocker Member Posts: 344
    Originally posted by Guely

I wouldn't say better. However, if Darkfall fails I assume everyone will play MO.

Im sure your right about that for the most part.  Thats unless MO comes out with some info that doesn't sound to great.

Originally posted by Kyleran

At least those fanbois don't flame devs and the game they are developing.

--
    /thread

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

At least those fanbois don't flame devs and the game they are developing.

because is vaporware.... how can u flame something that doesnt exist at all..!???????????

*user blocked*
    it was about time to do it

--
    /thread

• ProletarianProletarian Member Posts: 77

It does look like darkfall, but not made with fail *so far*. Sorry, but 8+ years in development is a fail (darkfall). This game *looks* good, but I'll reserve judgement until I actually play it.

• doobsterdoobster Member Posts: 736

I trust Aventurine to not cave in to the carebears.

I guess MO developers have yet to earn this trust of mine, but yes if DFO fails, I'm sure everyone (myself included) will hop on the MO fanboi train.

Choo Choo

• ProminentProminent Member Posts: 51

The game look very promising, after checking out different interviews and videos. 

I think they are going in the right direction ... more freedom, first players view (like CounterStrike). I will definitely try this out.

I am totally bored by games like WoW and War.

• suvalakisuvalaki Member Posts: 13

if u ask me i think that this game looks like its gonna be rushed, summer 09 is wishfull thinking and if it is released then we will kno that its not finished yet. thats y i like darkfall no tricks. all thei money goes into dev not adds.

• FischerBlackFischerBlack Member Posts: 573

Just what I was thinking.

joshe - correcting misinformation is good but aggression and sarcasm don't do you or the game any favors.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Being a skeptical of both im more inclined to believe MO will release than DF tbh, this game has more information released in the 2-3 months I have kept an eye on it than DF in 4 years, they have officially bought an Unreal License and have had an appearence at the games conference, only time will tell, but they have my vote of confidence for now.

• imbantimbant Member Posts: 1,291
    Originally posted by rav3n2

Being a skeptical of both im more inclined to believe MO will release than DF tbh, this game has more information released in the 2-3 months I have kept an eye on it than DF in 4 years, they have officially bought an Unreal License and have had an appearence at the games conference, only time will tell, but they have my vote of confidence for now.

Im keeping an eye on MO as a fallback game cause it doesnt offer as much as DF, but MO is definitely more vaporware right now and they will not be making their summer 09 goal.

Definitely a game to watch though...unreal engine is good stuff, but also limits their creativity. 

They still have a lot to prove and little is known about the game.

~~
    Darkfall Releases on: February 25th, 2009

Darkfall Recap of everything that has happened the last 3 months: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/213296

"The monsters are tough. I was looking for a challenge, but these things are just too damn smart." -DF Beta Tester

"If people were dismissing it, then they wouldn't be talking about it. The well-meaning gamers root for efforts that try to raise the bar. So who's left? It's so easy being a skeptic." -Tasos

• MortalOnlineMortalOnline Member Posts: 19

... but MO is definitely more vaporware right now and they will not be making their summer 09 goal.

I love that you got all this inside information... Dont go to rash conclusions will ya, just wait and see