Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some suggestions for new games for TR players to play

KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

Yo.  I know a bit about TR, though not as much as most of you.  I got into the beta fairly early, so I saw most of that stage of development.  I really do give the devs kudos for how far they got.  You guys would probably be surprised if you saw the earliest beta stages compared to what was launched.  It still had very serious problems, but it was a huge leap forward.  Unfortunately, I guess it wasn't enough.  It ended up suffering from the same problem that SW:G, Hellgate, and others got bitten by.  If you beta'd any of those games, you've heard conversations like this:

So, when do you think launch will be?

Oh, probably at least six months from now.

Yeah, no way it will release earlier than that.  They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

Dev announcement two days later: We're launching in two weeks.

Anyhow, here are some suggestions.  I'm limiting myself to games that are currently released and available in America.  There are some very promising games in development, and somebody else may mention them, but I won't.  I haven't played any of them, and I don't talk about stuff I haven't touched.

Dungeons and Dragons Online:  This is a lot like TR.  It's a small game in terms of playerbase, make no mistake, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  It's also very action-oriented and fast-paced.  It was kinda crappy at launch for a few reasons, but if you dig the gameplay, there's a whole lot of content available at this point, and it's now at a fairly nice level of polish.  Free trial.  Try it out.

City of Heroes/Villains:  This is also an excellent choice.  Again, a very fast-paced, action-oriented MMORPG.  Again, it has been out a while, so it's fairly polished and has loads of content to play through.  Again, I believe a free trial is available.

Edit: I just heard you guys will be getting free CoX access and free client for three months.  Seriously, try it out.  Get to about level 20, though, if you have the patience.  At the very least, level 10.  The early game is kinda misleading.  It makes CoX seem a lot slower and more boring than it really is.  Eight man runs past 30 are fun and can really be crazy.

Both of the above games adopt TR's philosophy of combining MMORPG and action RPG elements to make something in-between.  Unfortunately, you need to really play both for a while to really get to the fun part.  You're not going to start to experience the real game until a few days or a week into it.  CoX starts a bit slow because you have so few powers early on.  DDO has a bit of a learning curve in terms of really getting into the action.

If you really want a pure shooter, though, Planetside is available.  I hate to say this, but I don't recommend it.  Not anymore.  I'm saying this even though I'm actually really into combined arms shooters, especially sci fi.  I probably clocked a few thousand hours playing Tribes 2 over the years.  I myself played Planetside during the first three months, but it honestly just lost critical mass for technical reasons (they've since been fixed, but game-breaking patches early on aren't a good thing).  Most of the real shooter players left during that window.  90% of the people playing it now are MMORPG players or station access ****'s.  I shouldn't need to tell you what that crowd means.

Comments

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

The problem with "replacing" TR is the sad fact that 95% of current MMO's are fantasy grinders. There are no real Sci-Fi, near future games really out there.

You could hit SWG or AO but really thats it outside of maybe CoH.

Gonna have to sit tight for KotOR, Fallen Earth, Earth Rise, The Agency or maybe APB. /shrug, whatcha gonna do?

Well at least NC gave it a try.....

It just boggles me that they can't leave one server going...there are something like 30,000 playing this, isn't there? Ruthless Koreans.

IMHO they are only doing this because the game has "Richard Garriott" plastered all over the title. If he wasn't such an egotistical tool maybe the game wouldn't be in this boat.

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

The game which will probably be closest to TR is Global Agenda.  I'm not going to lie, the combat in that game looks gorgeous from the vids.

That being said I'm not sure I can convince myself to pay a subscription for a slightly more persistent BF2142.

• nirvanetnirvanet Member UncommonPosts: 95

Try Neocron 2.

The server population is growing up

• SXRchosen1SXRchosen1 Member Posts: 179
    Originally posted by nirvanet

Try Neocron 2.

The server population is growing up

I second that.

http://acominos.evony.com <- if your bored at work :)

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

Dont forget "Warhammer 40.000"! I hope with this game we will have a decent Sci-Fi MMO!!

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

I'm playing it now, and it is finalyl starting to grow after the pre-CU disaster. I suggest SWG, even just as a filler until something like Earthrise comes out.

Or singleplayer/multiplayer games are the way to go for now (if you don't like fantasy MMOs)