Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to stay, but I'm thinking about quitting...

And here's my reason why - whenever I play in the Scenarios or anywhere heavy PvP I have massive amounts of lag.  So much so that I can't even play the game it's just too choppy.  I started a guild awhile ago (Defiled) and it's a decent guild with about 70 mature members, but I have a level 23 black orc that's my main and i'm so frustrated when I play the fun PvP stuff due to the lag that I give up because I can't see wtf is going on.  I really REALLY want to get to level 40 and get a huge group together to take Altdorf, but hell, I can't even get past the lag issue when defending a keep much less grouping in a massive group to take the city.  If the end game content and PvP is more or less unplayable for me - why stay?  If anyone has any fixes for the lag, please help.  I've tried EVERYTHING!

And before you say "it's your computer" - here's my specs:

Quad core

3GB of RAM

Radeon 3850 with 512MB

Cable internet (Comcast)

I like WAR but if I can't play the end stuff then what's the point?  Any help?

Comments

• Brone87Brone87 Member Posts: 244

This game is horribly optimized for a final product... it runs as if it were displaying AoC quality graphics. I also run a Q6600, 4gb ram and an 8800 gts 512 and I get lag from just running along a path solo. I tried a keep seige one night... the fps was unbearable... its really odd when AoC keep sieges run better...

• StinkyPitsStinkyPits Member Posts: 123

Yeah - that's exactly what I'm talking about.  I get so much damn lag that it's impossible to play much of the content.  Maybe it's an issue with the quad cores.  I know some games run better when you mess with the Affinity of the processors.  But still - seems ridiculous to have to do that.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Originally posted by StinkyPits

And here's my reason why - whenever I play in the Scenarios or anywhere heavy PvP I have massive amounts of lag.  So much so that I can't even play the game it's just too choppy.  I started a guild awhile ago (Defiled) and it's a decent guild with about 70 mature members, but I have a level 23 black orc that's my main and i'm so frustrated when I play the fun PvP stuff due to the lag that I give up because I can't see wtf is going on.  I really REALLY want to get to level 40 and get a huge group together to take Altdorf, but hell, I can't even get past the lag issue when defending a keep much less grouping in a massive group to take the city.  If the end game content and PvP is more or less unplayable for me - why stay?  If anyone has any fixes for the lag, please help.  I've tried EVERYTHING!

Quad core

3GB of RAM

Radeon 3850 with 512MB

Cable internet (Comcast)

Hard to say, but there's lot of settings you can dial back/turn off to optimize performance.  Your post doesn't mention any detail on steps you've taken to optimize your box. 

I have a similar rig to yours, and I had to shut off some stuff like anti-aliasing and others to make it run well. (plenty of helpful advice if you google for it)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• borngamerborngamer Member Posts: 23

Unfortunately WAR is so poorly programmed and optimized that to get it to run at anything approaching smooth you need to lower the video settings from "2002" to "1997".

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by borngamer

Unfortunately WAR is so poorly programmed and optimized that to get it to run at anything approaching smooth you need to lower the video settings from "2002" to "1997".

LMAO!

Hey its not THAT bad.  My rig (certainly not high end imo) uses a 2.66 dual core, 4 gigs of memory, vista 64 and war uses one of my two 9600GTS cards.  My resolution is 1680 x 1050.  All in game settings maxed.  I have no fps problems.  Not in the way described above.  The only time I see lag is when lots of action is occuring in front of me during a scenario and thats random....doesn't always happen in that situation.

• BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516

Just for kicks try this Mod It may just suprise you the difference it can make..

war.curse.com/downloads/war-addons/details/buffthrottle.aspx

• Brone87Brone87 Member Posts: 244

QFT

should be added to a list of reasons why you should not buy Warhammer.

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

3 GHz E8400 Duo Core

2 GB RAM

8800GT, 512 MB VRAM (1440 x 900)

All settings maxed and no lag.  I occasionally hitch when crossing a zone line but that's pretty much it.

FWIW.

That just goes to prove my point - that it's not the system that is the problem. You have a dual core, I have a quad core with 1GB more RAM than you and a comparable video card.  Something's wrong with the game itself and I'm not sure what exactly.  I have cable internet with plenty of bandwidth, so that's not the problem either.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Get buffthrottle

It really should be a part of the game as standard, no idea why it isn't tbh

I had similar issues in the beginning, got the addon and it's been smooth sailing ever since

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

People have reported that upgrading to the recently released directx and nvidia drivers (for those with an appropriate card) helped significantly with studdering issues, especially in t4 keep sieges when you have lots of players. Anyone still having issues, i would recommend trying that.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• rwnemisisrwnemisis Member Posts: 28

Theres a problem nobody has mentioned in this thread... seems nobody ever checks it but here it is, get a better ethernet card, my buddy had lag and it turned out his problem was his ethernet card. after he replaced it everythign has been fine.

imageimage

• LondonMagusLondonMagus Member Posts: 700

That just goes to prove my point - that it's not the system that is the problem. You have a dual core, I have a quad core with 1GB more RAM than you and a comparable video card.  Something's wrong with the game itself and I'm not sure what exactly.  I have cable internet with plenty of bandwidth, so that's not the problem either.

I am pretty sure that it is mainly just random hardware intolerance.

I don't think the game has been optimised to work with that many hardware combinations & just uses default settings based on ones that work well with the limited machines they used in development & testing.

That would explain why some people with low specs can play better than others with far higher specs, it all just depends on whether any of the settings are incompatible with your hardware. 

My machine is pretty old but should be able to play the game reasonably well on low/medium settings. Most of the time it does things tend to get erratically better or worse with each patch.

After the latest 'Heavy Metal' patch, general scenarios are slower again, but the new Reikland Factory is quite literally a slideshow & completely unplayable for me.

The lag pissed me off so much that I have ordered a new Quad Core PC with a Radeon HD 4870 X2 graphics card. If that doesn't work then I will just have to find another game, but at the moment WAR is my favourite & I am hoping that this weekend I might finally get to play it properly. 

If you can't "Have your cake & eat it too", then how can "The proof of the pudding be in the eating"?

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

Quad core

3GB of RAM

Radeon 3850 with 512MB

Cable internet (Comcast)

It's weird... I got pretty much the same configuration and I experience no noticeable lag in "normal" situations - slight stutter very occasionally is just about it. (If I've got 20 layers of spell effects in front of me then it's not "normal" but by then I'm probably dead )

On the other hand, when I enter a keep my frame rate always drops to 2-4 fps... regardless of how many players are around. Weird.

Hmm, dunno if someone else suggested this before but you might try this addon: BuffThrottle which lowers buff display update rates (no need to update those at 25 fps - 2fps or even 1 is probably all you'll ever need - do you actually observe the buff changes on your target at 25 fps?!) which helps alot with relieving connection problems in crowded situations.

I have a strong connection but it did help a bit with lag problems (never did have many of them actually). My client fps drop rates in keeps are a different thing though... extremely weird. Maybe there's something about keep geometries my CPU doesn't like?

• TonevTonev Member Posts: 462

It's not his computer it's the code not being optimized due to the game being rushed out again.

If it was a computer problem than the add on would not have an effect on the situation of lag at all. Mark Jacobs mentioned something about this as well on the Vault forums in saying that the problem people are having with lag is being worked on/fixed hopefully in the next big patch.

• GladeousGladeous Member Posts: 49

This is one of the main reasons I quit before the trial month ended. This game has graphics of WoW but the performance of AoC. It wouldn't have been so bad if its graphics were somewhat close to AoC for the performance but no. Oh ya...also, the game became a quick repetitive borefest was the top reasons it sucked.

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289

Quad core

3GB of RAM

Radeon 3850 with 512MB

Cable internet (Comcast)

When I started to play WAR, i played on my new laptop and it was laggy even when i go across a road. Upgraded my old computer which was like 4 years old with a new Graphics card and added .5 RAM and I run pretty smoothly. Sometimes it depends on the computer and the windows. On the laptop i have Vista and on the Big one i have XP.

Another thing that might be the problem is that you have quad core. I heard from my guildies that dual is better for WAR (i'm not sure at all so don't flame me down)  

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

• GhistGhist Member Posts: 275

I was having some lag issues myself.  When I talked to to my ISP,  they mentioned my modem not being up to gaming standards.

Really though, there is a million of different issues it could be.  From port settings on your Firewall/Antivirus.  Background issues such as WAR hates Media Player.  QoS not always a good choice.  To your modem. 

Try to do a tracert while lagging to see if its you end or not.

Waiting for the next thing

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636

Apparently using a Quad Core is not going to increase any games performance unless it is optimized (the game) to use all 4 cores... most games still only use one core out of the four. So if you have a quad core that runs at 2.5Ghz its like using a single core at 2.5Ghz... That's what I heard anyway.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

i ve come across people having problems in the past in these forums . games not running as well as they should do on machines that should run them well . usually you get a lot of good adivce apart from the one thing i use to help friends speed up performance when their pcs are having trouble . something that normally does the trick . open the start menu select run then type msconfig . a box will come up . select start and deselect all . ( you can always maunally start up the programs you need again ) . what this will do is make sure theres no programs running in the background you dont need . this normally speeds up a pcs performance no end . sometimes the simplest solutions are the best .

Originally posted by googajoob7

i ve come across people having problems in the past in these forums . games not running as well as they should do on machines that should run them well . usually you get a lot of good adivce apart from the one thing i use to help friends speed up performance when their pcs are having trouble . something that normally does the trick . open the start menu select run then type msconfig . a box will come up . select start and deselect all . ( you can always maunally start up the programs you need again ) . what this will do is make sure theres no programs running in the background you dont need . this normally speeds up a pcs performance no end . sometimes the simplest solutions are the best .

This is the lazy mans way to optimize your items running at startup.  Just dump what you don't want from teh global startup menu and then edit the hklm...run and hkcu...run keys in your registry.  But, I've done all that, and on top of that before I start WAR I shut down every task that isn't critical in task manager just to be certain.  All Adobe bloatware, EVERYTHING except items like svchost.exe, explorer.exe, etc.  Absolutely nothing is running other than at the driver level or a service (even disabled the ones I don't want running) but it's bare bones when I play WAR and I still have the lag.

As for the quad cores not running the games properly because they don't use all the cores, you can set the affinity to only use a single core on the WAR.exe process in task manager.  This way, I have only one core dedicated to running the process (or in this case the game). 

More or less, there are some changes that need to be addressed on Mythics end I think.  I really hope they do this soon, because I'm continuing for the time being with hopes that RvR will soon improve and I can actually enjoy the endgame content.  If not, I'm leaving - no other choice really.

• GnazonGnazon Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by Theutus
    Apparently using a Quad Core is not going to increase any games performance unless it is optimized (the game) to use all 4 cores... most games still only use one core out of the four. So if you have a quad core that runs at 2.5Ghz its like using a single core at 2.5Ghz... That's what I heard anyway.

That is true to some extend: if the game is not specially designed to use multiple cores, it will not use them. However, even if said application only uses the one core, other applications and actions will be re-routed to other cores by the operating system resulting in better performance.

I have a high end machine (Quad Core, 8Gb ram, gf9800GX2) and the performance I got out of WAR (back when I was playing) was ridiculous, even after days of tweaking graphic settings, installing addons etc. While some people in my guild with lower grade hardware were running it flawlessly.

If you have trouble check the game forums (HA!), I mean warhammeralliance.com there were plenty of optimization threads there, you may find some good advice there.

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Spiritof55

LMAO!

Hey its not THAT bad.  My rig (certainly not high end imo) uses a 2.66 dual core, 4 gigs of memory, vista 64 and war uses one of my two 9600GTS cards.  My resolution is 1680 x 1050.  All in game settings maxed.  I have no fps problems.  Not in the way described above.  The only time I see lag is when lots of action is occuring in front of me during a scenario and thats random....doesn't always happen in that situation.

I'd have to agree. If the game were badly programmed, then everyone would be suffering. I run a modest system - E7200 dc processor, 3 gigs of Ram and an 8600GT - but I can run on medium to high settings and have open RVR with 30 or 40 other players on screen and no issues.

• oto144oto144 Member Posts: 4

Few hints to improve performance of WAR (i will not write very detailed how to it will be too long)

System.

1. Delete old drivers with Driver Cleaner or similar program

a) download newest drivers for your video card

b) go to add remove program and remove all vid drivers in list

c) restart in safe mode (press F8) and run driver cleaner

d) restart in normal windows will install own drivers for your vid, no problem, let it do so.

e) install new drivers you downloaded then restart

2. Run defrag (i use JFK defrag) imho one of the best.

3. In control panel for your vid add all effects you want in WAR (AA,AF, Multisampling etc)

This is realy helps, after i did so i got +15-20 fps in game.

Added: also check if you have newest Direct X

WAR Addons to install to speed it up:

1. Buff Throttle - this is very good addon. Set it to 2.0 or 3.0.

2. InfThrottle it sets influence request to server to lower value than it is in WAR client by default.

With my rig e8400 2GB RAM, 9800 GTX, Win XP Pro; i have stable 70-99 fps while solo. 30-40 in scenarios and oRvR.

I do not take part in big 100 vs 100 fights in t4 yet because i am only t3 now. But in 1 WB vs 1WB on keep siege i have no lags at all.

Hope it helps.

P.S. Sorry for not very detailed guide but you could find a lot of advises how to tweak your rig for WAR on different forums. I am at work atm and have to run :)

BR

Edited: Added some stuff and typos

• Raiz1Raiz1 Member Posts: 177

Quad core

3GB of RAM

Radeon 3850 with 512MB

Cable internet (Comcast)

That is a very decent rig you are running my friend and you wouldn't have problems running most games. The few things I'd like know though (because just the blanket specs can throw off the equation):

What is the fsb for your mobo

Same for your RAM?

Clock speed on your Vid Card?

Hard drive space?

OS?

WAR requires 2+ free gigs to play smoothly and if you are using Vista, you are getting just about 2 gigs.